Legal Blocking Techniques ? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Legal Blocking Techniques ?

Bubba
12-07-2013, 01:24 PM
posting some pics from the last playoff game i went to. I want to know from those of you that watch alot of football, is this an accepted, legal blocking technique?

or am i just whining and crying? for the recording, no penalties were called on any of this.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1425/uwzv.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9766/tsc0.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7559/8ygn.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7731/9hba.jpg

Heck Pup
12-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Musta had Alabama Row Tahd refs at this game.

RedNekTiger
12-08-2013, 02:46 PM
If I coaching the white team, I would have lost my mind. If Worm was in white, that technique would have led to an altercation.

OxfordSeminole
12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Pics 2, 3, and 4 are easy to fix. Somebody pulled that hands to the face **** with me in HS (played DT), I'd get in a little close and drop body shots all over their liver. Hands usually came down after a play or two.

RedNekTiger
12-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Exactly Ox. That is what I teach the kids I have coached.

On the side of the OL - it is only holding if it gets called. Once he saw he could get away with it, he should have continued until it was called.

Bubba
12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
i agree guys. thanks. i was expressing my displeasure with the way the game was being called, and these pictures being a huge reason and i got blasted.

white team - athletic, fast, quick
orange - big and strong

to me, the only way white was blocked effectively was to use those techniques, and since nothing was called, it never changed.

Really Big Bama Fan
12-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Biting off the fingers works too. As the attempt is made to extract the fingers from between the teeth, the hand inside the facemask becomes much more visible to the inattentive refs.

AlienBeans
12-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Its all but impossible to tell of the legality of these "blocks" or this technique from photos. Video of the said block is the only way to really tell if these are legal or illegal.

Bubba
12-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Its all but impossible to tell of the legality of these "blocks" or this technique from photos. Video of the said block is the only way to really tell if these are legal or illegal.

i was hoping you would find this thread. i understand more views/footage is needed, but just from the stills, it looks bad, dont you think?

AlienBeans
12-19-2013, 06:54 PM
i was hoping you would find this thread. i understand more views/footage is needed, but just from the stills, it looks bad, dont you think?

Not really, because I don't judge things on still photographs. It could have been a split second situation that just happened to be win the picture was taken. Video evidence is necessary to determine the legality of these blocks.

Optik
12-19-2013, 07:33 PM
First one is borderline. Second one is good IMO, as in it will rarely get called, kid in white should be returning it on that play. Third one is illegal use of hands. Fourth one is clearly holding the facemask.

Optik
12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Not really, because I don't judge things on still photographs. It could have been a split second situation that just happened to be win the picture was taken. Video evidence is necessary to determine the legality of these blocks.

I think the last 3 are pretty clear, but the last one could have been incidental and just momentary. First is borderline and I'd need to see it happen to call it one way or the other.

ugabrad
12-29-2013, 12:25 PM
This question has nothing to do with the photos, but after the Tech game every year I wonder: what is the legal difference between a "cut block" and a "chop block"?

Optik
12-29-2013, 02:14 PM
This question has nothing to do with the photos, but after the Tech game every year I wonder: what is the legal difference between a "cut block" and a "chop block"?

Whether or not the DL was already engaged in a block when it was thrown. If they were, then chop and illegal. If not, then cut and legal.