Ohio State's schedule [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State's schedule

GatorMan32
11-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Ohio State has not played a regular season top ten opponent since 9/12/2009. The Big 10 sucks.

xAuBuRn
11-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Yes they have played a schedule like northern Illinois and should be ranked accordingly. They should be sitting around 11 or 12.

Subrookie
11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
They certainly don't go out of their way to schedule them OOC either. I was looking their future schedules up this weekend because my Brother IL is a big fan of them. The most impressive opponent is Oregon but I think that doesn't happen until 2017.

They used to have agreements with Tennessee and UGA but didn't they cancel them?

I went back and looked again they do have upcoming home and homes with Va Tech and Oklahoma but neither of those teams would be guaranteed to be in the top 10.

IBCW
11-05-2013, 09:55 AM
What's hilarious is Ohio state fans are defending their schedule by saying they tried to play Vandy, but could not reach an agreement.....Vandy? Sorry Commodore fans....I know you guys are alot more scrappy these days, but a strength of schedule boost you are not....until you win the SEC East or get up into the top 25.

Storm
11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Holding out hope for Bama, FSU, and Oregon to win out.

Urb Gruber
11-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Holding out hope for Bama, FSU, and Oregon to win out.

It would be far better if OSU got into the Title Game and then were blown out. Again.

Storm
11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Not really. I'd much rather laugh at them for accomplishing exactly nothing after going 25-0 over two seasons.

Subrookie
11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Not really. I'd much rather laugh at them for accomplishing exactly nothing after going 25-0 over two seasons.

I'm with Ubr on this one. 25-0 and only 1 bowl game to show for it and it's not for the NC. You could go as far back to the 2010 Sugar Bowl season because they vacated that win over Arkansas and lost in the Gator the year after that to Florida. That's accomplishing nothing.

I'd rather not think about it and see Michigan pull the upset, but we both know that's a really, really long shot this year. I might even root for little brother in the B1G CG. Actually, I know I will.

Storm
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
My disdain for osu trumps all. Since I have no ties to the state of Michigan, I really don't a problem with MSU, not like fans who live there. So I will be rooting for them, for sure.

Subrookie
11-05-2013, 04:52 PM
My disdain for osu trumps all. Since I have no ties to the state of Michigan, I really don't a problem with MSU, not like fans who live there. So I will be rooting for them, for sure.

My cousin went to State but UM has always been my team. OSU doesn't want to schedule anyone so **** them. Michigan played Bama last year, on some level that should get some SEC cred. I'm over Buckeye whiners who think they should be in the NC game when they play nobody, ever. Let them have the Rose Bowl against Stanford and cry another year.

They still have to beat Sparty and play at the Big House. They could drop a game. Its against everything holy but I might buy a Duck jersey in 4 years when they play in Eugene.

Storm
11-05-2013, 04:55 PM
I'd love to see them lose to Indiana and that air attack, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Subrookie
11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I'd love to see them lose to Indiana and that air attack, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Well I'd love that so I could tell my BiL Bucknut that Mizzou beat Indiana and OSU couldn't.

MKfromPA
11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
They certainly don't go out of their way to schedule them OOC either. I was looking their future schedules up this weekend because my Brother IL is a big fan of them. The most impressive opponent is Oregon but I think that doesn't happen until 2017.

They used to have agreements with Tennessee and UGA but didn't they cancel them?

I went back and looked again they do have upcoming home and homes with Va Tech and Oklahoma but neither of those teams would be guaranteed to be in the top 10.

You are correct, Ohio State canceled their home-and-home series with Tennessee and Georgia.

OSU plays Oklahoma in '16 and '17 but Stoops may be gone by then... :lol: I also noticed Cincinnati on their schedule twice, once in 2014 and once in 2019. But both are at OSU. Looks like UC is getting shafted there without a return trip... I wonder how much $ OSU is going to pay UC for that one.

IllinoisDawg63
11-05-2013, 11:55 PM
N'western and Iowa(very surprisingly) have been probably the best 2 B1G teams to go toe to toe with them thus far. Somebody has to beat them. It's almost the same scenario of 2002....and that year Illinois was the biggest surprise to nearly pull the upset, but a zebra botched that!

MKfromPA
11-06-2013, 07:43 PM
N'western and Iowa(very surprisingly) have been probably the best 2 B1G teams to go toe to toe with them thus far. Somebody has to beat them. It's almost the same scenario of 2002....and that year Illinois was the biggest surprise to nearly pull the upset, but a zebra botched that!

Yes it's a shame the possibility of Ohio State not losing a game is fairly high. IMO even though if they make it through the regular season unscathed, they will get beaten by an elite team from a different conference. Sounds like the typical cycle where Ohio State plays an easy schedule, wins all those games, then loses when they play a top team in a bowl game. The media then writes about OSU continuing to choke against top programs. The Buckeyes never learn their lesson: schedule DIFFICULT non-conference games if you want respect.

Speaking of Illinois, the 2007 Illi-Buck game was awesome. Juice Williams and the Illini offense were up 7 with over 6 minutes left in the game. I remember watching them get first down after first down, thereby running the clock out. The Buckeyes never got the ball back. It was a work of art! Loved every second of it watching Illinois celebrate in Ohio Stadium. I think OSU was ranked #1 or #2 at the time.

IllinoisDawg63
11-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Juice Williams had 1 successful season w/Illini....blew their wad all at once then couldn't do crap.

Subrookie
11-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Unless they play for the NC I think they're obligated to play in the Rose this year against a Pac-12 team. If things play out that will likely be Stanford. They might have a decent chance of beating them. Too bad it can't be Oregon. Oregon would treat them like Sherman's march to the sea.

MKfromPA
11-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Unless they play for the NC I think they're obligated to play in the Rose this year against a Pac-12 team. If things play out that will likely be Stanford. They might have a decent chance of beating them. Too bad it can't be Oregon. Oregon would treat them like Sherman's march to the sea.

You are correct about OSU in the Rose Bowl. That is what I heard on the Tim Brando Show this morning; if OSU does not make the NC game they will play the PAC-12 in a BCS bowl. That is also barring Stanford doesn't lose another game (other than to Oregon).

I agree that Oregon would down OSU. Mariotta would run all over them. I think the Ducks' defense could slow down the Buckeyes on offense. They are an underrated group on D. Plus they practice against Mariotta and that style. So they are used to seeing it all the time.

Storm
11-06-2013, 10:05 PM
well, everyone thought Oregon would torch them in the Rose Bowl 4 years ago too, but that didn't work out so well.

I'm telling you, osu is not a good team, but for some reason, everyone always sh1ts the bed when they play them. I've never seen so many teams shoot themselves in the foot and just hand another team victories like I do when teams play osu.

Bama_Man
11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Northwestern did exactly that Storm. They should have won that game but totally **** the bed and gave OSU a win.

tOSU was clearly the better team, Hyde was KILLING NW, but NW had a lead and should have won.

Records regardless, I think:
Alabama
Oregon
FSU
Stanford
Mizzou
Texas A&M
LSU
South Carolina
Auburn
Baylor
Clemson

and hell even teams like Oklahoma, Washington, Miami, etc.. would give tOSU a good game and could beat them.

tOSU fans love to talk about their "national title", even tho the game was flat out given to them. Dorsey got hurt, and they got the worst call in CFB history on that PI call in the end zone. What a joke.

Storm
11-07-2013, 05:02 PM
they'll argue to their grave that it was a good call

Subrookie
11-07-2013, 05:49 PM
they'll argue to their grave that it was a good call

I've all but got myself uninvited from Christmas after I got into it with my BIL over Ohio State's soft schedule I think I'll leave out the conversation about the PI call.

Bama_Man
11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
No one with any brain at all could say that was the right call. Face guarding is technically illegal, but it didn't happen like that. The UM defender was trailing, leaped, made ZERO contact with the tOSU WR, he had his arms up then went STRAIGHT down the side of the WR and made no contact.

In my lifetime, for the magnitude of the game, it was the worst call I've ever seen.

xAuBuRn
11-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Northwestern did exactly that Storm. They should have won that game but totally **** the bed and gave OSU a win.

tOSU was clearly the better team, Hyde was KILLING NW, but NW had a lead and should have won.

Alabama
Oregon
FSU
Stanford
Mizzou
Texas A&M
LSU
South Carolina
Auburn
Baylor
Clemson

and hell even teams like Oklahoma, Washington, Miami, etc.. would give tOSU a good game and could beat them.

tOSU fans love to talk about their "national title", even tho the game was flat out given to them. Dorsey got hurt, and they got the worst call in CFB history on that PI call in the end zone. What a joke.

I understand your hate for Auburn and they we don't beat-down teams like some of the others do. That is not the style we play. I expect Auburn to win by a few points Saturday, but part of that is we don't have the depth YET. I just don't understand ranking Texas A&M and USCe in front of us. We beat A&M already and USCe has 2 losses. LSU does have two losses and if we played today I think we win, but that is not happening. They earned that win. They do have two losses compared to our one so that baffles me also. Anyway War Eagle.

Wave&Dawgs
11-07-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm still mad about that PI call in the OSU-Miami game and I don't even really care about either of those teams. I echo what others have said in that that was one of the most horribly blown calls I have ever seen. There is no way you throw the flag there unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure. That ref should have been fired.

IllinoisDawg63
11-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Alabama
Oregon
FSU
Stanford
Mizzou
Texas A&M
LSU
South Carolina
Auburn
Baylor
Clemson

tOSU fans love to talk about their "national title", even tho the game was flat out given to them. Dorsey got hurt, and they got the worst call in CFB history on that PI call in the end zone. What a joke.Screw The U. Pleased me to see them lose. Can't stand that POS program since Jimmy Johnson was HC there!

MKfromPA
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm still mad about that PI call in the OSU-Miami game and I don't even really care about either of those teams. I echo what others have said in that that was one of the most horribly blown calls I have ever seen. There is no way you throw the flag there unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure. That ref should have been fired.

Amen, W&D. That call was total nonsense. There was clearly NO PI on the play. It was 4th down and the game should have been over. I feel like that was one instance where OSU got a HUGE break because they are OSU. Kind of how Notre Dame always has calls and deals go their way... it's crap, IMO!!!

Storm
11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
this is the "one still frame" every osu fan has either saved to their phone or computer to post anytime someone tries to argue that the call was wrong.

http://buckeyefansonly.com/images/passinterferenceongamble1.jpg

and a link to the website dedicated to defending it
http://buckeyefansonly.com/notcalled.html

MKfromPA
11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
How do we know definitively from that photo the OSU WR is not performing PI on the Miami (FL) defender?

Storm
11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
follow the link and watch the video, I guess

LSUTigers1404
11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
No one with any brain at all could say that was the right call. Face guarding is technically illegal, but it didn't happen like that. The UM defender was trailing, leaped, made ZERO contact with the tOSU WR, he had his arms up then went STRAIGHT down the side of the WR and made no contact.

In my lifetime, for the magnitude of the game, it was the worst call I've ever seen.

I guess you forgot Patrick Peterson picking off McElroy and getting 2 feet in, the play actually being reviewed, and them calling it incomplete. :raz:

WouldE
11-09-2013, 01:40 PM
It was a good call, as the picture proves.

Also, nobody ever talks about the series prior to that when tOSU had the ball (and lead) and was running out the clock in regulation and got screwed out of a 1st down catch that was called out of bounds. That would've won the game without OT.

WouldE
11-09-2013, 01:46 PM
As for the thread topic; Ohio State's schedule sucks, no arguement there. tOSU usually has one good OOC game on the schedule, but not this (and last) year. Plus a B1G that is disappointing with a possible match with Mich St as the toughest game left on the schedule.

Upcoming tOSU OOC games:
VT
Oklahoma
TCU
Oregon
Texas

Bama_Man
11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I dont see it. Ive seen the pics, seen slo mo video, the Miami defender did not make contact with the OSU WR. Theres no way I see that being the right call in that spot. Not to mention how late it was, when a ref waits that long to call a penalty its almost never right.

You cant fault OSU for the schedule this year, its not their fault that Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin all suck. MSU is the 2nd best B10 team and they are barely top 20 nationally.

But on resume alone, even Baylor might be a higher ranked team if both go undefeated. Baylor will have wins over Oklahoma, TT, and OK State. OSU would have wins over Wisconsin, Michigan, and the B10 championship game.

Storm
11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
well, at least Michigan sucks so that doesn't help osu's strength of schedule. HA. eat it osu.

WouldE
11-13-2013, 02:11 AM
Michigan sucks

I might have a new signature. :)

MKfromPA
11-13-2013, 08:01 PM
As for the thread topic; Ohio State's schedule sucks, no arguement there. tOSU usually has one good OOC game on the schedule, but not this (and last) year. Plus a B1G that is disappointing with a possible match with Mich St as the toughest game left on the schedule.

Upcoming tOSU OOC games:
VT
Oklahoma
TCU
Oregon
Texas

TCU has fallen down the ladder. They are no longer the stingy, dangerous squad they were when they beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Sorry, but that one doesn't count.

Subrookie
11-13-2013, 09:10 PM
You cant fault OSU for the schedule this year, its not their fault that Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin all suck. MSU is the 2nd best B10 team and they are barely top 20 nationally.

But on resume alone, even Baylor might be a higher ranked team if both go undefeated. Baylor will have wins over Oklahoma, TT, and OK State. OSU would have wins over Wisconsin, Michigan, and the B10 championship game.

You can fault them for their non-conference schedule. If Spurier can complain about the talent level in the B1G and how their conference schedule doesn't help them SoS wise he should look at their OCC scheduling, which this year has been terrible. Baylor beat OU as you said, who I believe was ranked #10. OSU hasn't played a top 10 team in the regular season since September, 2009.

At least Michigan scheduled Bama last year.

Storm
11-13-2013, 10:04 PM
FSU QB now in the middle of a sexual assault scandal from last year. My immediate thought? Someone from ohio state turned him in.....

MKfromPA
11-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Really seems to me OSU will continue to play weak non-conference schedules every year. This includes 2-3 "cream puff" teams and maybe 1 decent opponent. OSU needs a maximum # of home games as possible to use the revenue generated to fund its athletic teams. I can understand that. But that hinders their ability to compete at the highest level because the B10 has been continuously "weak" in recent years, they cannot play multiple non-conference road/neutral games, and the chances are the best team they play all year is in a bowl game (BCS game). I don't think they have the nerve to be like SEC schools and schedule big opponents in neutral sites, though maybe every other year. Plus, they probably figure the more "easy" wins we can get, the chances of playing in a BCS bowl increase, so they will continue with this formula. It's kind of cheap, but nobody is stopping them. But the bottom line is we'll keep hearing about the choking of OSU every year against top quality schools in big bowl games. With that I am looking forward to every second of it. :lol:

Dawgilicious
11-16-2013, 01:04 PM
I dont think anybody thought Cal would be as bad. When that was scheduled, Cal was at least decent and now they only have 1 win, so that def urt their OOC sched, but its not like FSU played a legit OOC schedule either....UF being down hurts their OOC too.....Big Ten teams like to play these MAC schools to help them financially

MKfromPA
11-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I dont think anybody thought Cal would be as bad. When that was scheduled, Cal was at least decent and now they only have 1 win, so that def urt their OOC sched, but its not like FSU played a legit OOC schedule either....UF being down hurts their OOC too.....Big Ten teams like to play these MAC schools to help them financially

Correct about the MAC/B10 games. They've been doing it for years.

FSU plays UF every year. It's not like OSU has a non-conference rivalry game like that. i.e. Notre Dame, etc.

GDawg88
11-16-2013, 02:44 PM
The Big Ten has become outdated. The confluence of a bad economy, declining population, and cold weather in the Midwest have turned it into a really bad league. In the old days when there weren't many games on TV, schools like Michigan and Nebraska were glamorous. That's not the case anymore. Now kids can go anywhere and get on TV every week, so of course they're going to stay in, or gravitate toward, the South and West.

The problem Ohio State faces now is one they're going to continue to face for many years to come. It's hard to see how the Big Ten is going to return to prominence.

Subrookie
11-16-2013, 02:46 PM
With the playoff system starting next year I'm not sure OSU will have much of a reason to schedule harder OCC teams. The B1G has been weak enough they recently have won most of the regular season titles. That should keep them in the mix for one of the two bowls in the playoff system assuming they don't have more than one loss a year.

Where their scheduling might hurt them is if they conceivably have to play two top 5 teams in consecutive weeks after playing lesser opponents all season.

Dawgilicious
11-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Correct about the MAC/B10 games. They've been doing it for years.

FSU plays UF every year. It's not like OSU has a non-conference rivalry game like that. i.e. Notre Dame, etc.

Yeah, I can agree with that. It's unlikely it matters this year cause of Bama and FSU. Hard when teams you think will be good or decent are not the year you play them....lol

MKfromPA
11-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I can agree with that. It's unlikely it matters this year cause of Bama and FSU. Hard when teams you think will be good or decent are not the year you play them....lol

Yep I agree, it turns out to be a bummer because when those series are announced, it creates some hype.

It's an advantage to have a non-conference rival to play on an annual basis. The ACC-SEC is a perfect example - Clemson/S. Carolina, Georgia/G Tech, FSU/Florida. They're rotating home/away every year. Teams like OSU don't do that with another team. Instead they choose to load up on MAC schools and FCS opponents. It gives them easy wins, but their computer numbers suffer from it.

GDawg's also right about the state of the B10. It's a weak league. The addition of Nebraska hasn't done a lot for it on the gridiron. The Huskers have been an "all right" team, not one that is consistently in the rankings and churning out 10-win seasons. The other contending B10 schools like Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin are usually ranked, but they lose to OSU in the game that really counts, more often than not. If college football used SOS like college basketball did, justice would be served for Ohio State because theirs is weak almost every season.