Mutiny at Grambling State [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Mutiny at Grambling State

SavageOrangeJug
10-18-2013, 08:36 AM
Coach Eddie Robinson is rolling over in his grave. To see this once proud program he built in such disarray.

For the second consecutive day Thursday, Grambling players boycotted football practice. And about the same time that practice was scheduled to be under way, the school announced that interim head coach George Ragsdale had been reassigned within the athletics department.

School spokesman Will Sutton also said defensive coordinator Dennis "Dirt" Winston would replace Ragsdale as interim head coach.

Grambling players boycott practice Wednesday (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/swac/2013/10/16/grambling-football-boycott-practice/2997601/)

Grambling State coach out after second player practice boycott (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/swac/2013/10/17/grambling-state-interim-coach-george-ragsdale-out-after-second-player-practice-boycott/3004939/)

Heck Pup
10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
They filled in for us against Florida in 2009.

RedNekTiger
10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I was recruited heavily by Coach Robinson out of HS. One of the most impressive men I have ever met.

Dawgilicious
10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I was going to start the thread, but didnt know if anybody would respond. They are now on their 3rd coach this season and have lost 11 straight games. I would be pissed too if I had to take buses to KC and Indy for games. Those are very long bus trips and are no fun. They are in def disarray right now and need a leader. it hurts the team to fire Doug Williams esp when his son is the starting QB

Dawgilicious
10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
They are going to get hammered this weekend, esp without practicing during the week

Bubba
10-18-2013, 02:43 PM
crap, i hope the Arkansas players dont hear about this! :facepalm:

we cant handle them giving up in games, no telling what will happen if they start giving up practice!

help cecil!

Dawgilicious
10-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Grambling players are now refusing to travel and play their scheduled game vs Jackson State on Saturday

SavageOrangeJug
10-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Somebody better have a sit down real quick.

GRAMBLING, La. Hours after Grambling State University president Frank Pogue reiterated his support for the school's athletic program and football team Friday morning, the team did not show up for its bus ride to Jackson, Miss., where it is scheduled to play Jackson State on Saturday.

Grambling athletics director Aaron James said the school pushed back the departure time an hour until 3:30 p.m., and that officials were hopeful the team will be on the buses. However, the buses were sitting idle and empty as of 3:35 p.m., five minutes after the university-imposed deadline for the players to appear.

Around 3:45 p.m., Grambling officials came to talk to the bus drivers, who were standing near the vehicles, hands in their pockets and looking confused. A few minutes later, the drivers loaded the buses and left without players aboard.

Grambling bus leaves for Jackson State without players (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/swac/2013/10/18/grambling-tigers-bus-jackson-state-game-boycott/3010079/)

georgiaguy31015
10-18-2013, 06:45 PM
All of this over using a bus? Am I missing something here?

Dawgilicious
10-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Its not about the bus, they are having issues with the way they are being treated and the school firing Doug Williams was a huge deal for them and his son his the starting QB

Herchel
10-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Grambling needs to cancel the season and the scholarships.

RedNekTiger
10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
They have very legit complaints. And the situation betweeen Williams and Pogue is an example of an administrator gone beserk. The reason Williams was fired.......the weight room needed new mats. This was so bad, it was considered a safety issue. So Williams went out and found the money, through personal contributions and alumni. But Pogue didn't like that the money was donated for a specific item and he had no control, so he refused the money and fired Williams a couple of weeks later.

The trips to Indy and KC are big time money generators for the school. For Indy, the opponent waas Alcorn State. Alcorn flew. There were donations made to charter a plane for the GSU players, by alumni. The offer was refused.

The list goes on and on. A once proud program, that at one time was a major pipeline to the NFL is in disarray because of Pogue.

It reaches a certain point, where the players have a right to protest.

Dawgilicious
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
They dont like the way they have been treated and they are doing what they feel is right

Heck Pup
10-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Its not about the bus, they are having issues with the way they are being treated and the school firing Doug Williams was a huge deal for them and his son his the starting QB

Sounds like a blacker version of Colorado.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/365713/nepotism.jpg

LSUTigers1404
10-18-2013, 10:51 PM
This is very sad. Paul Finebaum said there was a time when only 2 programs a Sunday morning show. Those 2 schools are Notre Dame and Grambling State.

SavageOrangeJug
10-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm losing sympathy for the players. They are hurting their school, other schools, and most importantly, the people who rely on these games for a living. There are a lot of hard working support staff who depend on these games to put food on the table. Concessions, maintenance, security staff, clean up crews, local restaurants and hotels, etc.

They made their point and got their cause into the spotlight. Now they have went too far.

After Grambling player revolt, game at Jackson State canceled (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/swac/2013/10/18/grambling-tigers-bus-jackson-state-game-boycott/3010079/)