Is UCLA really ranked #12? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Is UCLA really ranked #12?

Bama_Man
10-04-2013, 02:44 PM
LOL really?

Now I believe the PAC-12 is probably the 2nd best conference, and UCLA is a decent team. But are they really ranked #12? LOL Im not sure they are better than the 6th or 7th best SEC team, much less the 12th best team in the country.
I watched them play last night, and they were mediocre everywhere. The QB play isnt great, they lost their premiere RB, the defense is okay, etc...

Urb Gruber
10-04-2013, 02:53 PM
It is all about Poll Attrition. They are undefeated while many teams have lost to allow them to jump up in the polls.

Dawgilicious
10-04-2013, 03:00 PM
It will all work out because they still have to play Stanford, Oregon, Washington, Arizona St. Brett Hundley is very good and playing at Utah is not an easy place to play. They have a lot of youth on Defense, especially at LB, but we know every conference has these high scoring games now. We will find out when they get stanford and oregon back-to-back on the road

Bama_Man
10-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Did you watch the game last night?

Hundley was TERRIBLE and did everything he could to give Utah the win in the second half. Very good QBs are Manziel, Mariotta, Murray, Boyd, etc...

Hundley is not even in their atmosphere.

Bama_Man
10-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Im not sure UCLA is any better than the 5th best PAC-12 team.

It will sort itself out, but I can't believe people put them so high in the preseason. I cant see them beating Stanford, Oregon, ASU or Washington.

Jimmy Reb
10-06-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm still not sold on the PAC-12 being the 2nd best conference, still have a lot of football to play.

Dawgilicious
10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Yes i did see the game. He scored a TD in 3 different ways, plus playing on the road at Utah is not an easy place to play. His One INT was in the 4qtr and the very next drive was 13 plays which led to a FG.

MKfromPA
10-14-2013, 08:56 PM
We'll find out how good UCLA really is this coming weekend when they play at Stanford. This will be a Stanford team coming off a stunning loss. I imagine they will be POed. Have the feeling the loss and emotions will be taken out on UCLA... They may no longer be #12 6 days from now. :P

Naval Aviator
10-16-2013, 01:12 AM
I have watched UCLA play twice and have a hard time believing they are a top 25 team.

Dawgilicious
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
We will find out how good they are since they play Stanford and Oregon back-to-back

GR8NESS
10-16-2013, 08:42 PM
I've been on the UCLA train all year and last year. I don't think they QUITE have the horses to beat UO and Stanford, but I see a well-coached team that is going to be in it late.

MKfromPA
10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
We will find out how good they are since they play Stanford and Oregon back-to-back

Ouch! Rough two game stretch there. But if they are all that and a bag of chips, UCLA will at least put up a fight in both. I'm still a little skeptical about their best W, a win at Nebraska. I think they caught NU by surprise. The Huskers spotted the Bruins a lead and couldn't hold it. When do you ever see Nebraska do that? Not very often.

MKfromPA
10-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I've been on the UCLA train all year and last year. I don't think they QUITE have the horses to beat UO and Stanford, but I see a well-coached team that is going to be in it late.

You were correct. Took several 2nd half plays by Stanford to create breathing room. Though I expected the Cardinal to win this game.

Bama_Man
10-19-2013, 09:58 PM
UCLA just is not very ghood IMO. They are legit top 25, but nowhere near top 10. Oregon, Stanford, they are for real. UCLA? Not so much.

GR8NESS
10-19-2013, 11:02 PM
College football is a disaster this year.

MKfromPA
10-20-2013, 08:55 AM
UCLA just is not very ghood IMO. They are legit top 25, but nowhere near top 10. Oregon, Stanford, they are for real. UCLA? Not so much.

Agree. The PAC-12 should and will come down to Stanford and Oregon. Even though the Cardinal did not blow out the Bruins yesterday, they're still a top team. They found a way to win. That is what great teams do.

Oregon looks nearly unstoppable on offense. We'll see what UCLA can do against them on Saturday, but I don't expect the Ducks to be slowed down.

MKfromPA
10-20-2013, 07:27 PM
The new AP poll is out for this week. UCLA drops from #9 to #12. Hmm. I'm slightly surprised they only fell 3 spots. Thoughts?

GR8NESS
10-20-2013, 09:04 PM
They wre right in the sweet spot of teams that lost to prevent them from falling too far. UofL certainly deserved to fall further than they did, LSU has 2 losses to their 1, same for A&M (and A&M's are both at home). Then, teams that could have jumped them from behind also lost. UGA has 3 losses now, etc. etc.

MKfromPA
10-25-2013, 07:32 PM
They wre right in the sweet spot of teams that lost to prevent them from falling too far. UofL certainly deserved to fall further than they did, LSU has 2 losses to their 1, same for A&M (and A&M's are both at home). Then, teams that could have jumped them from behind also lost. UGA has 3 losses now, etc. etc.

Yep good point. It was kind of the "perfect storm" for them to lose last weekend.

MKfromPA
10-26-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm really looking forward to the UCLA/Oregon game tonight. My match up to watch is Oregon's offense versus UCLA's defense. It will be very interesting to see how the Bruins play Marcus Mariotta and the Ducks' spread offense. The Bruins held Stanford down for a while last week before the Cardinal broke through with points. I would argue Oregon really hasn't been tested in PAC-12 play yet. Their showdown with Stanford looms in a couple weeks. So this will provide an early preview of what the Ducks are capable of.

For those of you who will tune in, enjoy! :cheers:

CaribbeanTide
10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
UCLA needs about one more year of good recruiting (especially while USC is down) and they'll be ready to start contending in-conference. According to the commentary they've had some injuries along the OL and had 3 freshmen in there - and still held their own against Oregon's DL during the first half. And their defensive front 7 straight up outplayed Oregon the first 2.5 quarters. Most of Oregon's offensive production in the first half came on a couple of big plays. They've definitely got speed, but there always seems to be some issues (even if they win the game) whenever they face a physically-superior team in the trenches. I think that's why there's always a little doubt lingering around them.

Bama_Man
10-28-2013, 05:38 PM
UCLA still got ran out of the building by a great team. Oregon is a legit, top 2 team but UCLA was somehow still ranked in the top 15ish. Top 15 teams dont get that embarrassed on national TV, and lose two games in a row.

The PAC-12 is most def. the second best conference, but maybe Oregon State is better than UCLA. I think UCLA had a lot of preseason hype but they are just mid-pack

Dawgilicious
10-28-2013, 07:47 PM
They will prob still be in the conference championship game again this year. The score was not indicative of how the game was. They just got wore out in the 2nd half and were forced to throw it all over and thats not what they want to do

MKfromPA
10-28-2013, 07:53 PM
UCLA needs about one more year of good recruiting (especially while USC is down) and they'll be ready to start contending in-conference. According to the commentary they've had some injuries along the OL and had 3 freshmen in there - and still held their own against Oregon's DL during the first half. And their defensive front 7 straight up outplayed Oregon the first 2.5 quarters. Most of Oregon's offensive production in the first half came on a couple of big plays. They've definitely got speed, but there always seems to be some issues (even if they win the game) whenever they face a physically-superior team in the trenches. I think that's why there's always a little doubt lingering around them.

I agree. The Bruins played well, for the most part. Consider they were in the game for about 3 quarters. They were just worn down by Oregon, where they bent and eventually broke. But one had to figure Oregon was going to score, score, score at some point. Still a great effort by UCLA to show they can compete with high scoring offenses. They also hung in there with Stanford. I now believe UCLA can play. They had the horror of playing Stanford AND Oregon back-to-back AND on the road! When does that ever happen? Very rarely. What UCLA just endured would be pure hell on other PAC-12 teams. For them to put up a fight in both contests is a whale of an effort. Hats go off to Jim Mora and his kids.

It also helps UCLA that USC is "down". LA is UCLA's town for the moment, which has not been the case in over 15 years. When you can turn the table on the Trojans you know something is going right for you. This year has a very good chance for UCLA to win at The Coliseum for the first time since the late 90s. Wow.

UCLA still got ran out of the building by a great team. Oregon is a legit, top 2 team but UCLA was somehow still ranked in the top 15ish. Top 15 teams dont get that embarrassed on national TV, and lose two games in a row.

The PAC-12 is most def. the second best conference, but maybe Oregon State is better than UCLA. I think UCLA had a lot of preseason hype but they are just mid-pack

I disagree. What UCLA has shown the past 2 weeks is they are a legit team in the PAC-12 - not on the "elite" level - that can compete. IMO they are in the argument for the #3 team in the PAC-12. I doubt Oregon State could do what UCLA just did and not be totally embarrassed. The schools don't play each other this year, but I think it would be a good match up.

Bama_Man
10-29-2013, 02:09 PM
I agree. The Bruins played well, for the most part. Consider they were in the game for about 3 quarters. They were just worn down by Oregon, where they bent and eventually broke. But one had to figure Oregon was going to score, score, score at some point. Still a great effort by UCLA to show they can compete with high scoring offenses. They also hung in there with Stanford. I now believe UCLA can play. They had the horror of playing Stanford AND Oregon back-to-back AND on the road! When does that ever happen? Very rarely. What UCLA just endured would be pure hell on other PAC-12 teams. For them to put up a fight in both contests is a whale of an effort. Hats go off to Jim Mora and his kids.

It also helps UCLA that USC is "down". LA is UCLA's town for the moment, which has not been the case in over 15 years. When you can turn the table on the Trojans you know something is going right for you. This year has a very good chance for UCLA to win at The Coliseum for the first time since the late 90s. Wow.

I disagree. What UCLA has shown the past 2 weeks is they are a legit team in the PAC-12 - not on the "elite" level - that can compete. IMO they are in the argument for the #3 team in the PAC-12. I doubt Oregon State could do what UCLA just did and not be totally embarrassed. The schools don't play each other this year, but I think it would be a good match up.

Is Stanford really that good? They are good, but I dont believe they are the best 1-loss team. Yet they beat UCLA.
Oregon is a legit top 3 team. They beat UCLA soundly. Sure it was close for a half, but its of my opinion that any team can play a team close for a half, a great team hangs around until the fourth quarter. UCLA couldn't do that.

The bad performance in the win at Utah, and losses to the only legit teams they have played in Stanford and Oregon, I am just not sold on UCLA as being anything more than a top 25 team.

Oregon is so much better than everyone in that conference tho, I believe they run Stanford out of the building. This isn't as good a Stanford team as years past, this is Oregon's best shot at an undefeated national title.

MKfromPA
10-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Is Stanford really that good? They are good, but I dont believe they are the best 1-loss team. Yet they beat UCLA.
Oregon is a legit top 3 team. They beat UCLA soundly. Sure it was close for a half, but its of my opinion that any team can play a team close for a half, a great team hangs around until the fourth quarter. UCLA couldn't do that.

The bad performance in the win at Utah, and losses to the only legit teams they have played in Stanford and Oregon, I am just not sold on UCLA as being anything more than a top 25 team.

Oregon is so much better than everyone in that conference tho, I believe they run Stanford out of the building. This isn't as good a Stanford team as years past, this is Oregon's best shot at an undefeated national title.

On the side, I completely agree with you about Oregon. They are among the BEST in the nation. The "elite" team in the PAC-12 right now, no questions asked, IMHO.

The degree I am talking up UCLA is they are a strong team in their conference. I don't think they are a legit great team among the rest of the country. Rather, I believe they are the #3 or #4 team in the PAC-12. I put them at #3 ahead of Oregon State because they hung with Stanford and caused Oregon trouble. I don't believe the Bruins are comparable to Stanford, but on the next level. I could make the argument they can beat anyone else in the PAC-12 outside of Oregon and Stanford.

Stanford also has not shown me they are the best 1-loss school. The loss to Utah now looks like a typical hiccup by a highly ranked team. For a while I believed in the Utes. They have a great homefield advantage. Utah knocked off BYU on the road, then toppled Stanford at home. But they lost at Arizona and at USC. So now they are no more than an average team in the PAC-12. Thus, Stanford's loss to Utah now looks worse than it did before because Utah's "stock" is falling quickly. As a result, this is one reason I don't believe Stanford is the best 1-loss team. That would probably go to Missouri.

Bama_Man
10-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Two loss-LSU/TAMU both run UCLA/Stanford out of the building IMO.

Auburn has to be in that conversation for top ranked 1-loss team, they lost to LSU but have beat TAMU/OM.

This is not some SEC rah rah thing, like I said Oregon/FSU/Ohio State are all undefeated and could win a national title and the SEC isnt quite as elite as we have been in the past from top to bottom, but for some reason I do catch a ton of PAC-12 games on TV. They come on late when no one else plays, so I watch. And frankly, outside of Oregon (whom a mediocre Washington team did play with til the 3rd), they are not great. These guys arent shooting up draft boards, hell the most highly ranked guy coming into the season is a WR on a mediocre at best USC team, and they arent the most fundamentally sound teams.

BUT...they play way more physical than people think. B10 games are no more physical than P12 games. Ill always believe SEC games are tougher, its the hottest recruiting board spread out across the Southeast and people LOVE football here. When Washington plays at UCLA, people don't care like when Auburn plays at Georgia. But the P12 isnt soft, they just aren't as talented overall IMO, aside from the Oregon's of the world. USC used to be the standard, but its not anymore.

Oregon has the resources, the name, and the "vibe" to become DOMINANT in the West. Imagine if they do get talent like Manziel or Winston, what they can do. Mariotta is good, but he isn't as talented overall. They don't have 3-4 legit NFL prospects on the OL or DL, they don't have the best WRs or CBs in the world, and still they win a ton of games and are big time on the national scene.

If the talent ever funnels up there, they can become the best team in the nation for 4-5 years like USC was, or Miami before, etc..

MKfromPA
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Must spread rep, Bama_Man. VERY well said.

As far as the National Title goes, in one respect it is unfortunate for the SEC because they have so many great teams that they "cannibalize" each other by having to play. One has to win and one has to lose. That becomes and issue when you have 2-3 teams ranked in the Top 10. Then teams like OSU from weaker conferences keep winning because they fail to play highly ranked teams throughout the year. They can easily land in the NC game every year by virtue of playing in a weak conference, and playing a joke non-conference schedule (like they did this year). Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if they win out in the B10. That's the nightmare for us SEC fans, that one of our own teams won't play for the Title because our league is so strong. The scheduling kind of hurts it in that way.

I also agree with you about Auburn in the 1-loss discussion. They've been playing great football as of late. If the Tigers keep it up, the Iron Bowl should be a really exciting game. When you look at the SEC vs. PAC-12 I don't even think it is close. I'm in the same boat about those 2-loss SEC schools against Stanford/UCLA. I even think Ole Miss could possibly beat both. Same with South Carolina. The SEC is just that deep.