Brian Kelly Still Making Excuses for Loss to Bama [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Brian Kelly Still Making Excuses for Loss to Bama

Bamadan
08-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Notre Dame's fate in the BCS Championship was probably sealed well before the Irish took the field against Alabama.

Attrition ravaged Notre Dame's offensive line depth last year, meaning the buildup to the BCS Championship didn't involve as much live-action plays and tackling as the coaching staff would've wanted. Alabama had a full month to prepare, and playing in its third title game in four years knew what it took in practice.

With that in mind, Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said on Monday's the Dan Patrick Show he figured his team would've had a chance to defeat Alabama if the game were played earlier.

"I think the circumstances needed to be a little bit different," Kelly said, when asked by Patrick if Notre Dame could've beat Alabama. "I think if we played in a playoff format, maybe the next week after the USC game, I think that would've been a better situation for us."

Kelly wasn't saying Notre Dame would've beat Alabama had the game been played on Dec. 1 instead of Jan. 7. But perhaps it's worth noting Alabama had to fight to hold off Georgia in the SEC Championship that week, as the game ended with the Bulldogs less than 10 yards from the finding the end zone for what would've been a game-winning touchdown.

"Look, could've, would've, should've, Alabama won the game, they were the better team that day," Kelly said. "I think they were in terms of preparation, that team was very well prepared. They had been in the moment before. And I'm not going to take anything away from their performance on that particular day."

Really? Really? Worry about this season, Golden Dumbers!!

http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dame/kelly-under-other-circumstances-nd-couldve-beat-alabama

Dawgilicious
08-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Well it wasnt like he sought out a reporter and brought the story up. He was asked a question by Dan Patrick and answered it the best way he thought. He did give congrats to Bama and how the played as well as how they were prepared. Coaches could look to the current season if reporters stopped asking questions about things in the past

GDawg88
08-26-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't think it's sour grapes either. That said, Kelly is wrong. It was a complete physical and athletic mismatch, and it wouldn't have mattered when the two teams played. Only casuals thought Notre Dame had any chance whatsoever.

Bamadan
08-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Well it wasnt like he sought out a reporter and brought the story up. He was asked a question by Dan Patrick and answered it the best way he thought. He did give congrats to Bama and how the played as well as how they were prepared. Coaches could look to the current season if reporters stopped asking questions about things in the past

That he did, and who knows if the game was played sooner. We would have come off a hard fought epic SECCG with y'all, and those Teo distractions wouldn't have been there. I just don't like it when coaches have to recall the past season rather than look forward to the new season. Reporters are douches like that. They know ND is still their pets and are still in denial that Bama put a hurting on them.

Really Big Bama Fan
08-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I think he may be thinking that Alabama would have been emotionally drained by Georgia in the SEC Championship game, and might have been flat for an immediate follow-up game--Which is not unreasonable considering how Bama's defense looked the week after an emotional and physical win over LSU in Tiger Stadium.

RedNekTiger
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Notre Dame would have had 4 to 5 SEC losses.

Dawgilicious
08-27-2013, 01:11 PM
That he did, and who knows if the game was played sooner. We would have come off a hard fought epic SECCG with y'all, and those Teo distractions wouldn't have been there. I just don't like it when coaches have to recall the past season rather than look forward to the new season. Reporters are douches like that. They know ND is still their pets and are still in denial that Bama put a hurting on them.

Yeah reporters like to keep digging and never let the past just go away so coaches and players have to continously answer these questions. Who knows what would of happened if it was sooner, that is something we will never truly know.

Really Big Bama Fan
08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Notre Dame would have had 4 to 5 SEC losses.

True; but if The Ohio State University had been able to play, it would have been Notre Dame versus OSU for the BCS Championship with one-loss Alabama watching from the Sugar Bowl. Remember Auburn in 2004?

Dawgilicious
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM
auburn was undefeated though and had serious scheduling issues that cost them points in the standings

Wave&Dawgs
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I'm not really seeing where he made any excuses. Seems like he was just saying what conditions he thought would have given them the best chance at beating Bama. This is a complete non-story.

MKfromPA
09-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Agree with you guys. I think it is another case where the media is trying to make something out of nothing. No need to bring this game up again. I think Kelly and ND have moved on. The bottom line is the Irish were completely dominated by Alabama in every aspect of the game. Game over.

YR_Tiger
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
notre dame would have had 4 to 5 sec losses.
qft....