Ohio State to Pay Non-conference Opponents a Total of $3.1 M [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State to Pay Non-conference Opponents a Total of $3.1 M

MKfromPA
08-23-2013, 01:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ohio-state-pay-non-conference-151644482--ncaaf.html

Ohio State to pay non-conference foes $3.1 million
RUSTY MILLER (AP Sports Writer) August 22, 2013 AP - Sports

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State will pay more than $3 million to Buffalo, San Diego State and Florida A&M to come to Ohio Stadium for games against the Buckeyes this fall.

Through a request from The Associated Press, Ohio State's athletic department released figures that show it is paying Buffalo $1 million to be the opposition in the Aug. 31 opener, San Diego State $1.2 million to play in the game on Sept. 7 and FAMU, a Football Championship Subdivision opponent, $900,000 to come to Columbus for the game on Sept. 21.

The Buckeyes' other non-conference game is at California on Sept. 14. Ohio State's eight Big Ten games do not require a guaranteed contract.

No wonder the Buckeyes go nearly undefeated every year! :lol:

Dawgilicious
08-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Not too much of a surprise. A lot of teams do this, UGA won't pay too much to get teams, but I remember when I was at Missouri State and Oregon brought us out for a game we got payed 1.1 million and all expenses paid

Subrookie
08-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Not too much of a surprise. A lot of teams do this, UGA won't pay too much to get teams, but I remember when I was at Missouri State and Oregon brought us out for a game we got payed 1.1 million and all expenses paid

Pacific probably funded their entire football program this way. The last year they had a football team in 95, they played LSU, Nebraska, Oregon, Arizona and Oregon State. I would have hated to be a player there.

pavol7
08-23-2013, 03:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ohio-state-pay-non-conference-151644482--ncaaf.html

Ohio State to pay non-conference foes $3.1 million
RUSTY MILLER (AP Sports Writer) August 22, 2013 AP - Sports

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State will pay more than $3 million to Buffalo, San Diego State and Florida A&M to come to Ohio Stadium for games against the Buckeyes this fall.

Through a request from The Associated Press, Ohio State's athletic department released figures that show it is paying Buffalo $1 million to be the opposition in the Aug. 31 opener, San Diego State $1.2 million to play in the game on Sept. 7 and FAMU, a Football Championship Subdivision opponent, $900,000 to come to Columbus for the game on Sept. 21.

The Buckeyes' other non-conference game is at California on Sept. 14. Ohio State's eight Big Ten games do not require a guaranteed contract.

No wonder the Buckeyes go nearly undefeated every year! :lol:

I guess that's what you call buying wins

MKfromPA
08-23-2013, 07:06 PM
I guess that's what you call buying wins

I was just about to point that out. Great thinking, pavol. :)

Dawg, it makes sense other schools do it too, even in the SEC. But I have more respect for SEC schools because they are willing to go on the road and play at neutral sites. LSU does this, Georgia has played road/neutral with Boise in the recent past, and other SEC schools annually play ACC rivals. IMO Ohio State is different because they really don't have a big non-conference rival like SEC schools do. And all they have done over the past 10 years is load up on home games every year, racking up their win total in the process, all as a means to "sneak" into the National Championship game.