Howard's rock at Clemson vandalized [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Howard's rock at Clemson vandalized

WarAgle
06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2013/06/13/howards-rock-vandalized-clemson-memorial-stadium/2418455/

Glass casing around it was broken and a chunk of the rock broken off.

Heck Pup
06-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Updyke was just released.

SkyAntoine
06-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Updyke was just released.
Coincidence? I think not.

Just Some Hog Dude
06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
This is what happens when you ban 312.

ugabrad
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
He had to work out his aggression somehow...

Heck Pup
06-13-2013, 11:24 AM

He doesn't break rocks - he smokes them.

JRS
06-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm crying inside.

Heck Pup
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Coincidence? I think not.

Soon Sukkerlina will have their own version of Updyke. Listen to "The Flagship Station of Clemson Athletics" 104.9 FM WCCP today to hear this idiot call in to the Walt Deptula Show and confess to his crime.

What? You have never heard of Deptula or 104.9? Don't feel bad. Neither has anyone else.

Optik
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM

That is exactly what I said in the ban thread. Coincidence this happens the day he is banned? I think not.

Heck Pup
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Breaking rocks? Sounds like a fan of the Crimson Updykes practicing for life in the penitentiary.

Optik
06-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Breaking rocks? Sounds like a fan of the Crimson Updykes practicing for life in the penitentiary.

I believe Updyke does have a cousin that is a USC fan, possibly grad...though I wouldn't expect a grad of any major college to do this.*

*Once they've graduated and aren't pulling fratty pranks anymore. Even then, this sort of prank isn't usually something permanent.

Just Some Hog Dude
06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
That is exactly what I said in the ban thread. Coincidence this happens the day he is banned? I think not.

See, this board was keeping him out of trouble. Liberals and Clemson fans in South Carolina better look out.

Heck Pup
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Reminds me of a Prudential Insurance jingle from the 80's:

"Get a piece of the rock"

DecaturDawg
06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
He doesn't break rocks - he smokes them.

Must spread rep.

MKfromPA
06-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Even though it's Clemson, this is still terrible someone had to vandalize one of their gameday traditions. I think sometimes people take acts and feelings a little too far. This is a prime example. Also with the poisoning of AU's oak trees. SMH.

SCgamecock2988
06-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't condone vandalism but I certainly do not feel sorry for Clemson. LOL

Optik
06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Just got word that the rock will likely be out for the game with UGA due to a hairline fracture. :kiss:

I'll be here all summer, gentlemen.

JRS
06-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Hairline fracture? That ****er blew it's entire knee out.

MKfromPA
06-20-2013, 09:28 AM
I don't condone vandalism but I certainly do not feel sorry for Clemson. LOL

Yep I agree. Maybe you guys can make another "dent" in that rock at the end of the season. :towel:

SCgamecock2988
06-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Yep I agree. Maybe you guys can make another "dent" in that rock at the end of the season. :towel:

Maybe Clemson can turn Howard's Rock into Howard's Gravel and have the players moonwalk over it before a game for good luck.

Optik
06-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Hairline fracture? That ****er blew it's entire knee out.

I thought about going with a more serious injury, but the top of the crack kind of actually looks like the break would have been along the hairline of the rock, if it had a hairline.

MKfromPA
06-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Maybe Clemson can turn Howard's Rock into Howard's Gravel and have the players moonwalk over it before a game for good luck.

I'm with you. I think I've expressed my views about Clemson on this board before, but I cannot stand that school. All they do is choke and fail to live up to expectations. I love watching South Carolina and Spurrier kick their behinds at the end of the year. For me it's a little sweet revenge inside because they get beat by their biggest nemesis. Personally I hope Clemson never wins another meaningful ACC game. As long as FSU, VT, and Miami (FL) are in the ACC, they will hopefully keep them at bay.

Friedchickenman
06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm guessing what probably happened was Dabo and his buddies couldn't contain themselves one night and were practicing stadium entrances.

MKfromPA
06-25-2013, 04:33 PM
I thought about going with a more serious injury, but the top of the crack kind of actually looks like the break would have been along the hairline of the rock, if it had a hairline.

The crushing blow might be losing to South Carolina at the end of the 2013 season, for the 5th straight year! :towel:

JRS
06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
LMAO, a tater fan broke and stole the rock!

ACCFanInTraining
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
All they do is choke and fail to live up to expectations.

And yet you are a Hog fan?

Heck Pup
06-28-2013, 07:56 PM
LMAO, a tater fan broke and stole the rock!

Do what?

Link please.

SCgamecock2988
06-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Clemson just keeps finding new ways to embarrass themselves... I love it. The funny thing is, my initial thought was that it was a Clemson fan that did it and they did it to try to make Gamecock fans look bad or make us look like the culprits. I was written off by the Clemson fans of another message board (The Mainboard; tmb) as a dumbass for even considering the thought. What a TRULY pathetic fan base. Can't wait for Georgia to beat the sh!t out of them.

SCgamecock2988
06-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Heck Pup:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9433459/clemson-arrests-charges-man-connection-howard-rock-vandalism

Clemson University police arrested an 18-year-old in connection with vandalism to Howard's Rock and charged him with one felony and one misdemeanor.

Rogers
Rogers

Micah Rogers of Pisgah Forest, N.C., was charged with felony malicious injury to animals or personal property valued at more than $2,000 but less than $10,000 and misdemeanor trespassing.

Howard's Rock, the iconic fixture Tigers football players rub before entering Memorial Stadium, was vandalized June 2. The protective casing was destroyed and a chunk of the rock was chipped away.

Capt. Eric Hendricks said the vandalism was captured partially by video surveillance cameras. A witness also identified the suspect.

ACC blog

ACC ESPN.com's Heather Dinich and Andrea Adelson write about all things ACC in the conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

The broken portion of the rock has not been recovered, and the investigation is ongoing.

Rogers appeared in Clemson University Municipal Court on Friday morning and was released on personal recognizance bond of $5,470.

Hendricks said Rogers does not have any official ties to Clemson, but he does have a Tigers sticker on the glass of his truck and there was Clemson memorabilia in his home.

"I'll make you draw your own conclusions with that," Hendricks said.

Howard's Rock has been a fixture for Clemson football since the late 1960s when the stone was brought to campus from Death Valley, Calif., by Samuel C. Jones, a close friend of then-coach Frank Howard. The coach had little use for it until school booster Gene Willimon affixed to a pedestal and placed it at the entrance of Memorial Stadium.

Legend has it that during the 1967 season Howard told his players if they didn't want to give maximum effort they should "keep your filthy hands off of my rock." Ever since, Tiger players gather at the pedestal and rub the rock for good luck before rushing down the hill for games.

It left for a two-month period before the 2000 season when John Fernandez's granite sawing company worked to fit it on a new pedestal. Fernandez was a 1969 Clemson graduate who said the rock was only out of his sight while he slept. He even held a cookout with the rock as the guest of honor.

The rock sits on a black granite base with the inscription, "Howard's Rock. From Death Valley, CA, to Death Valley, SC."

Former Clemson linebacker Jeff Davis said the power of the rock comes from knowing how hard others who stood there before you worked to make the Tigers a success. "The power comes from the individual touching the rock. You understand the numerous athletes that paid the price for you to be there," said Davis, part of the Clemson's 1981 national champions and now a football administrator for his alma mater.

Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich said the school has increased security around the rock to prevent future vandalism. He believed Clemson fans will sleep easier knowing the school was able to catch a perpetrator.

"On behalf of the athletic department and the football coaches and players, I want to thank the Clemson University Police Department, the State Law Enforcement Division and the Thirteenth Circuit Solicitor's Office for acting in a swift, thorough manner with regards to the vandalism to Howard's Rock," Radakovich said in a statement. "We appreciate the efforts of everyone involved in this case."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

MKfromPA
06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
And yet you are a Hog fan?

I'm an idiot who continually picked Clemson to win big games and who has been severely let down. Lesson learned.

SCgamecock2988
06-28-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm an idiot who continually picked Clemson to win big games and who has been severely let down. Lesson learned.

I do the same thing with Florida State... but I never learn my lesson.

SCgamecock2988
06-29-2013, 05:24 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/300x300/38820481.jpg

MKfromPA
06-30-2013, 08:35 AM
I do the same thing with Florida State... but I never learn my lesson.

There's another ACC football school that has recently choked frequently. I will credit them at least for now that they did live up to the hype and win the 2013 Orange Bowl.