Anyone else see this video of Rutgers HC Mike Rice? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see this video of Rutgers HC Mike Rice?

Urb Gruber
04-02-2013, 05:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9125796/practice-video-shows-rutgers-basketball-coach-mike-rice-berated-pushed-used-slurs-players

I can't imagine Rice or the AD for being at Rutgers too much longer.

GR8NESS
04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
If it's the same video I watched earlier...

Getting yanked across the court or pushed in a direction? Happened all the time in high school.

As soon as he starts pushing dudes with their backs turned or throwing the ball at players, seemingly really hard? Yeah bro...see ya. Jerk.

kentubbybasketball
04-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Word is they are showing it on OTL Sunday. YIkes.

What does this have to do with the AD though. He punished Rice.

Urb Gruber
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM

He was informed prior to this incident (in summer 2012) and it still happened. Obviously, the AD did not take this information seriously.

Wave&Dawgs
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM

I think the thing that could get their AD is that he is accused of firing an assistant coach for coming forward with the evidence that Rice was doing these things.

boxvic
04-03-2013, 12:26 AM
If it's the same video I watched earlier...

Getting yanked across the court or pushed in a direction? Happened all the time in high school.

As soon as he starts pushing dudes with their backs turned or throwing the ball at players, seemingly really hard? Yeah bro...see ya. Jerk.

From what I saw in the OTL snippet on the ESPN site, there wasn't a thing this douchebag did that was right. He physically accosted his players, he verbally abused them, and as evidenced by Rutgers performance everything he taught them was horribly wrong. Its one thing to be a dick like Bobby Knight, but teach your players the right stuff. Rice was just a bully who couldn't coach his way out of a tissue paper bag (and I say tissue paper bag because how little he knows about coaching would be offensive to coaches who can't coach their way out of a regular paper bag.)

Storm
04-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Rice must have some pics of the AD to have his job this long

Angry Ant
04-03-2013, 09:38 AM

What does this have to do with the AD though. He punished Rice.A three game vacation? Get real. Hardly a punishment that fits the crime.

GatorMan32
04-03-2013, 10:00 AM
What... the... he should be fired immediately. How is he coaching? Bet Rosario is even happier he left. Holy crap.

Angry Ant
04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
What... the... he should be fired immediately. How is he coaching? Bet Rosario is even happier he left. Holy crap.

Mike Rice was fired this morning per ESPN

GatorMan32
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
one of those guys shoulda gone Sprewell on him.

kentubbybasketball
04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
GM what do you think about the Pres. implying he first saw the video yesterday given the fact he had to sign off on the three game suspension in December?

GatorMan32
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
GM what do you think about the Pres. implying he first saw the video yesterday given the fact he had to sign off on the three game suspension in December?he could say the AD recommended it and he simply signed off but I mean we all know its ludicrous. that's not something you don't research before signing off on. its also not an accusation you can hear and not make sure you get to the bottom of immediately. this is just cya time for all involved.

Herchel
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
They fired him.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/top-news/rutgers-pernetti-fire-rice-after-video-release/nXBcf/

Storm
04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
He gone

Storm
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
i have to say, he must have recruited some low self esteemed players for them to just take that and never do anything about it.

Wave&Dawgs
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
i have to say, he must have recruited some low self esteemed players for them to just take that and never do anything about it.

I saw a former NBA player (I forget who) make a good point. If you are getting minutes and think you have a shot to play professionally, you aren't going to confront the coach and risk getting benched, no matter how bad it is.

GR8NESS
04-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Coach holds all the power in these situations, sadly. It's exactly why Billy Gillispie managed to get away with whatever kind of mind f*** he used on his players.

TexasFight
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
one of those guys shoulda gone Sprewell on him.

If any coach has ever deserved to be choked out by one of his players, it's this assclown.

kentubbybasketball
04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
he could say the AD recommended it and he simply signed off but I mean we all know its ludicrous. that's not something you don't research before signing off on. its also not an accusation you can hear and not make sure you get to the bottom of immediately. this is just cya time for all involved.

I don't know how many people aware but Rice's dad used to coach and does TV for the Blazers I think. Being born into this biz you would think he would exercise better judgment.

Storm
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
I saw a former NBA player (I forget who) make a good point. If you are getting minutes and think you have a shot to play professionally, you aren't going to confront the coach and risk getting benched, no matter how bad it is.

on a Rutgers team that hadn't sniffed March Madness in years........I'd like to see which ones have gone pro under Rice

Wave&Dawgs
04-03-2013, 04:41 PM
on a Rutgers team that hadn't sniffed March Madness in years........I'd like to see which ones have gone pro under Rice

I agree most of them weren't sniffing pro ball. But when you are 18-22 years old and basketball is probably what you are best at in life, you probably have at least a slim home that you could play somewhere in Europe maybe. They may be delusional thoughts, but if you are in their shoes, would you risk whatever future in basketball you have just to get back at the coach?

Storm
04-03-2013, 07:04 PM
i wonder how many kids transfered under his watch

Urb Gruber
04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti has been canned too.

kentubbybasketball
04-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I think what did him in were his comments two days ago. Even then if he would have somehow tried to separate himself from Rice and acknowledge merely suspending him wasn't enough he might have been able to survive. Two coaches, one administrator all casualties. Yikes.

HunkerDown
04-06-2013, 06:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9125796/practice-video-shows-rutgers-basketball-coach-mike-rice-berated-pushed-used-slurs-players

I can't imagine Rice or the AD for being at Rutgers too much longer.

Wow... I hadn't seen the videos yet. That's way worse than I thought. What a total douche. Hope he never gets a job again.

kentubbybasketball
04-06-2013, 05:16 PM
How have you lived this week and not seen those videos. lol

HunkerDown
04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Just never bothered to watch them.