Tubby Smith fired [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Smith fired

Rocky@theTop
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9096499/minnesota-gophers-dismiss-tubby-smith-day-ouster-reports-say

CentralMSDawg
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I guess that seat was hotter than some thought. Just getting to the NCAAT apparently no longer cuts it anywhere.

Wanderin' Reb
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
It does at OM. :)

Herchel
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
He should have stayed at UGA.

BasketballofUF
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
I just don't get this. Minnesota isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse, and Tubby has been very successful compared to past coaches. If they're able to pull Smart then I'll eat my words, but this firing reeks of delusion of grandeur imo.

SkyAntoine
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I was shocked to see this. Some fanbases expect to win big every single year and are completely delusional. I'm glad UK fans are not like that.

GatorMan32
03-25-2013, 04:50 PM
I just don't get this. Minnesota isn't exactly a basketball powerhouse, and Tubby has been very successful compared to past coaches. If they're able to pull Smart then I'll eat my words, but this firing reeks of delusion of grandeur imo.what he said

Wanderin' Reb
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Yeah I don't really get it. They showed out in the Tourney. I was really impressed with the Gophers.

I thought maybe it was just being an OM fan made me appreciate it more than I should, but you all seem to agree. :D

GR8NESS
03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Not really surprised. There was a LOT of pressure from the fans and the media to do better.

Minnesota was paying for more than mediocre and mediocre was the best they got.

Dawgilicious
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
yeah but they didnt really have great success before him either. What are they going to go out and get and how much better can they get. they wont get to ohio state or indiana status

SkyAntoine
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
yeah but they didnt really have great success before him either. What are they going to go out and get and how much better can they get. they wont get to ohio state or indiana status
The success they had before was from cheating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_men's_basketball#Success. 2C_and_scandal.2C_under_Haskins_.281986.E2.80.9319 99.29). I don't know what they thought they were buying with Tubby, but it seems unrealistic to me.

Dawgilicious
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
yeah, i know they were excited when they got him. I think they wanted some sort of stability and consistency

GR8NESS
03-25-2013, 05:45 PM

I don't expect them to make an improvement, but I'm thinking OTS knew his days were numbered as soon as the AD that hired Shaka at VCU was hired at Minnesota.

This is also a minneosta trend. COUGH TIM BREWSTER COUGH. Tubby will wind up somewhere else, probably at Wake and be fine. Minneosta will continue to do exactly what they did under Tubby: very little.

IllinoisDawg63
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
IMO, Minnesota has to be one of the most difficult schools to achieve any continued success and maintain hierarchy,with hockey being the exception. There cannot be an abundance of talent in the Dakotas to recruit. He likely gets what Bo Ryan turns away in Wisconsin and some mediocre in Iowa.

deterp
03-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I wish Mr. Smith all the best and a continued coaching career for as long as he wants to do that. The comments concerning Minnesota are pretty spot on, particularly ILDawg's as he (and I) are more familiar with the Gophers and their recruiting area. I don't think there's been even a third-stringer from IL head up there to play either basketball or football.

Just Some Hog Dude
03-25-2013, 08:04 PM
IMO, Minnesota has to be one of the most difficult schools to achieve any continued success and maintain hierarchy,with hockey being the exception. There cannot be an abundance of talent in the Dakotas to recruit. He likely gets what Bo Ryan turns away in Wisconsin and some mediocre in Iowa.

I don't agree with the firing but I think Minnesota is an attractive school for a basketball player. It is in a big city. They have good fans.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Don't spend time trying to convince the uninformed. Mediocre isn't what you're paying for when you never PAY for a practice facility. WHen you're the only school without plans for one or without one in general, what do you expect. It's an arms race. We did the best with what we had.

We'll look back fondly on our time in Minnesota. So much happened. Tubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer while there. He overcome that successfully. We dealt with an injury to our best player in two separate seasons. Al Nolen in 2010 and Trevor Mbakwe in 2012. It was a nine win program with 23 losses the year before we came. We came in and got the program to the NIT in year one. By year two we were in the NCAAT and year three we were there also after a great run to the Big Ten finals. We won a game this year (our best season ever) at Minnesota. IT was the first season with a win in the tourney since 1990... and the three bids in 6 years is way better than the Minnesota history.

As Izzo said today, things were done the right way on the court and off the court. Minnesota has really set itself up with this decision. They have to get a guy that did better than Tubby, and IMO, the idea that they will get Shaka Smart is a pipe dream, especially with UCLA open. IMO, getting Gregg Marshall would be a success for us.

I am a proud Minnesotan, but even more so I'm proud of Tubby Smith, who has been a winner everywhere he's been. Consider this, he is the only coach in UK history... the ONLY COACH IN UK HISTORY, to win a game in every single NCAAT during his tenure. Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Billy Gillispie, and John Calipari didn't even qualify for each NCAAT they were here for. Tubby not only made it all ten years, but he won a game every single year. Minnesota was fortunate to have someone of his caliber there. The results were not middling, and I hope for our sake that we do get the right guy there.

Go Gophers, and most importantly, go Tubby. Tubby will land on his feet with whatever he wants. Tubby leaves here the same way he left Tulsa, UGA, and UK... with a team that made the NCAAT. That's the credit to his career IMO. We know that Tubby leaves our program on more solid footing than it was when he arrived.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
The success they had before was from cheating (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_men's_basketball#Success. 2C_and_scandal.2C_under_Haskins_.281986.E2.80.9319 99.29). I don't know what they thought they were buying with Tubby, but it seems unrealistic to me.

Joel Maturi is the one that brought Tubby in in 2007. I'm not even sure why they'd want Flip Saunders. IMO, that will be a mistake to the nth degree.

Finishing at the top of the Big Ten just won't happen at Minnesota. Not with Michigan State, Indiana, and Ohio State. Even during our better years under Dutcher and Musselmen and Clem Haskins, we were a far cry from the Indiana and Purdue teams.

Cuz
03-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I love Tubby. I would take him back if he would come and I don't hate Mark Fox.

And for the record, I have Golden Gophers apparel. Minnesota has been very nice to Baylie and I, and we have returned the love.

Go Gophers.

kentubbybasketball
03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
I have some Gopher apparel too. I'll still wear it proudly. Rep.

boxvic
03-25-2013, 10:32 PM
I agree with a local radio guy I heard this afternoon. I understand Minnesota making this move in an effort to show the world that they expect greatness, but just who do the think they are going to get that is better than Smith? The only big name out there in real position to sign with them would be Howland, and he lost to Smith. Minnesota isn't luring away a Smart or a Stevens... so to quote the radio guy, "The Gophers will go back to struggling, and Smith will be coaching somewhere else very soon."

Storm
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
He'll catch on somewhere else pretty quick, I'm sure.

AURex
03-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Auburn could use a real coach like Tubby.

Teague just cut off his gonads with this stupid move. If they had invested the buy-out in faculities upgrades, as they promised Tubby they had planned, he could have kept the program solid. It has taken a long time for Minnesota to recover from the academic fraud scandal of the Clem Haskins era and its aftermath. Tubby ran a clean program and had the real respect of his coaching peers in the B1G.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I agree with a local radio guy I heard this afternoon. I understand Minnesota making this move in an effort to show the world that they expect greatness, but just who do the think they are going to get that is better than Smith? The only big name out there in real position to sign with them would be Howland, and he lost to Smith. Minnesota isn't luring away a Smart or a Stevens... so to quote the radio guy, "The Gophers will go back to struggling, and Smith will be coaching somewhere else very soon."

From Tubby's comments, I'm not sure he wants to coach anymore....

BTW, how crazy would Howland to USC be? lol

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Teague just cut off his gonads with this stupid move. If they had invested the buy-out in faculities upgrades, as they promised Tubby they had planned, he could have kept the program solid. It has taken a long time for Minnesota to recover from the academic fraud scandal of the Clem Haskins era and its aftermath. Tubby ran a clean program and had the real respect of his coaching peers in the B1G.

Exactly, and if the coach you just let go complained about facilities, why would a good coach in a good situation want to leave without the facilities. Sure, Teague is saying they are committed to building one, but they said that to Tubby too.

This is all about the three kids in the state that are juniors that are all ranked in the top 50.

NCMISSSTFAN
03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
I was shocked when I heard about this. I've always been a Tubby Smith fan and actually felt like Minnesota was lucky to have him because he could have been at a bigger program IMO, that's no disrespect to them but who could they get that's better the Tubby Smith? I really don't understand firing a guy like him, especially one that won and got to the tourney pretty regularly. Minnesota plays in the Big Ten with Michigan, Mighigan State, Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin etc. these teams have good teams year in and year out. How much can you expect? I know fans always think the grass is always greener but I don't know who could come in and do a better job in that conference.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
It's a mid level B1G job. Norwood Teague will realize that the longer he stays there and doesn't have a practice facility.

SkyAntoine
03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I hope this nudges UK to finally put Tubby's name in the rafters at Rupp. Yes, some of us were disappointed with his recruiting at the end of his tenure, but the man brought home #7 and always did things the right way.

kentubbybasketball
03-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I hope this nudges UK to finally put Tubby's name in the rafters at Rupp. Yes, some of us were disappointed with his recruiting at the end of his tenure, but the man brought home #7 and always did things the right way.

That's only a matter of time from what I understand. He's already in the Hall of Fame. Somebody mentioned Minnesota being racist (which is silly), but I think the fact that Tubby's time here kind of put to rest some of the demons that were out there about UK being a racist program is an even bigger deal than the national title that he won.

GR8NESS
03-26-2013, 05:44 PM

I think that they didn't want to do it while he was still active because of Ricky.

I've also heard you have to get into the UK Hall of Fame first, which is a five year wait after employment so he's barely been eligible for that yet. Patience.

GatorMan32
03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
I've always liked Tubby. And that says a lot because he did coach the program UF had to get by to move to the next level. He is a first class man and a great coach.

joehogjoe
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm dumbfounded.

BluegrassBelle
03-27-2013, 06:51 PM
It was the mustache that did it.

He is a wonderful man, but I think he is in the twilight years of coaching.

kentubbybasketball
03-27-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm dumbfounded.

It is pretty dumbfounding. lol

kentubbybasketball
03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Wat a weird twist it would be if Tubby ended up at Texas Tech for a number of reasons. First, he would be replacing Gillispie (even though he didn't coach this year), after G replaced him at UK. That woul have to be a first at the high major level. Also, TTU has history f hiring former championship coaches like Bob Knight. They aso have their sons on their staffs (Saul for Tubby and Pat for Knight). I think it's still early in the process, and Tubby is down in North Carolina, hanging with friends and decompressing atm.

NCMISSSTFAN
03-29-2013, 11:01 AM
I really wouldn't want to see him at Texas Tech.

kentubbybasketball
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Why? I have some doubts too about it. What are yours?

NCMISSSTFAN
03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
To be completely honest I can't pinpoint why. I know the great Bobby Knight coached there so they have some history of a great coach but I just don't like the way Tubby Smith has been treated. He's a great coach, and deserves a great job, Texas Tech just isnt that IMO. I know the pressure would be on him again and I know he wouldn't get the opportunity but I would like to see him at UCLA...... or back in the SEC, thats just my personal feelings about it though....the man knows how to coach, I don't care what anyone says.

kentubbybasketball
03-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't even think Tubby would want the UCLA job. Donna always said when they left UK that she didn't want a "front page" job again. lol That UK fishbowl for ten years was enough. lol

Tubby is above the TTU job for sure, and IMO, above the Minnesota job. This will be a blessing in disguise IMO. IT was the toughest job Tubby ever had, and he's admitted it. He even said if he knew Minnesota's challenges at the time, he wouldn't have left UK for there. I think Tubby should wait to see how the carousel spins. Some good jobs will open as other guys leave to take UCLA and USC. Those will be better jobs than what's available now. Kinda like Bruce Weber waited till Frank Martin left a great job for South Carolina.

rolling baby
03-29-2013, 10:16 PM
UCLA isn't as intense as UK, though. Being in LA helps.

kentubbybasketball
03-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Maybe not, but it's the next thing. Steve Lavin had 5 of 7 Sweet 16s and was fired. Howland won 4 conference titles and had three final fours and was fired. They've been through so many coaches since Wooden, too. It's pretty intense.

rolling baby
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Howland was trending down, thought. That drug scandal sealed the deal, imo and he may have or may not have bent rules for these last couple of recruits. Howland is alike a younger version of Tubby to me, anyway. It's still a great job, but being Cali is the big negative with all that nonsense in Sacremento.

NCMISSSTFAN
03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't even think Tubby would want the UCLA job. Donna always said when they left UK that she didn't want a "front page" job again. lol That UK fishbowl for ten years was enough. lol

Tubby is above the TTU job for sure, and IMO, above the Minnesota job. This will be a blessing in disguise IMO. IT was the toughest job Tubby ever had, and he's admitted it. He even said if he knew Minnesota's challenges at the time, he wouldn't have left UK for there. I think Tubby should wait to see how the carousel spins. Some good jobs will open as other guys leave to take UCLA and USC. Those will be better jobs than what's available now. Kinda like Bruce Weber waited till Frank Martin left a great job for South Carolina.

Good post and I agree, I hope he waits for the right job to open and not rush into the TT job.

NCMISSSTFAN
03-30-2013, 09:25 AM
UCLA isn't as intense as UK, though. Being in LA helps.

UCLA is a tough place to coach at also, it may not be as intense as UK but its pretty close.. Some analyst still regard it as the best job in college basketball

XPS
04-01-2013, 08:56 AM
UCLA is a tough place to coach at also, it may not be as intense as UK but its pretty close.. Some analyst still regard it as the best job in college basketball

What separates UK and UCLA is the fan support.

kentubbybasketball
04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Tubby to Texas Tech seems like it's done. Waiting for the official announcement.

rolling baby
04-01-2013, 03:44 PM
He'll win there.

kentubbybasketball
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
He has won everywhere. A true and honest winner. Hocutt is his kind of AD also.