Big1G/12 schools agree to never be embarrassed by App. St again [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Big1G/12 schools agree to never be embarrassed by App. St again

ACCFanInTraining
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Big Ten won't be playing FCS teams (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8942451/barry-alvarez-says-big-ten-schedule-fcs-teams)

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says Big Ten officials recently agreed to stop scheduling nonconference games against FCS programs.

"The nonconference schedule in our league is ridiculous," Alvarez said on WIBA-AM in Madison, Wis. "It's not very appealing ...

"So we've made an agreement that our future games will all be Division I schools. It will not be FCS schools."

Alvarez didn't say when the agreement would take effect.

Wisconsin has one FCS team on its schedule in 2013, a Sept. 7 meeting against Tennessee Tech.

A source told ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg the ban could start in 2016, with several FCS games already on the books for 2014 and 2015. But it could be a gradual move with some schools stopping now and some stopping later, the source said.

Urb Gruber
02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Division I schools? Division I = FBS AND FCS.

To be clear, he should have said "FBS (or Division 1-A) teams ONLY".

Storm
02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Michigan plays App State again this upcoming season.

It's a no win situation simply because when they win (which I'll bet my house on) it's simply be a "well, you're suppose to do that." The other lose is I'll have to live through highlights of the loss all week leading up to it and have to pretend it's some kind of revenge game.

Dawgilicious
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
It hurts those teams that need that money. I worked for a FCS school and those ADs bank on getting that funding. I think the Big Ten plays more of the MAC schools than they do the FCS schools, but i know UNI students and players love playing Iowa and iowa State, so i guess they will lose that game on the schedule

GatorMan32
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Urbs heart just went off beat for a minute. someone check his pulse.

ACCFanInTraining
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM

It's a no win situation simply because when they win (which I'll bet my house on) it's simply be a "well, you're suppose to do that." The other lose is I'll have to live through highlights of the loss all week leading up to it and have to pretend it's some kind of revenge game.

Well, its win-win money-wise. The FBS school gets a guarantee home game and doesn't have to pay the opponent all that much. The FCS school gets a better payout than all of their other games combined.

Storm
02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm just glad our schedule sets up so much better this year. No neutral game vs Bama. 3 "cupcakes" and Notre Dame in the OCC, and all at home.

also getting Nebraska and osu at home, and no Wisconsin on schedule. Big away games will be at PSU and at Sparty.

Very good schedule set up for a BCS bowl run.

joehogjoe
02-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Division I schools? Division I = FBS AND FCS.

To be clear, he should have said "FBS (or Division 1-A) teams ONLY".

he made it clear, you're just talking semantics here.

time for the SEC to follow instead of lead.

Optik
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM

You guys play them in 2014, they play UGA next year.

Bama_Man
02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
he made it clear, you're just talking semantics here.

time for the SEC to follow instead of lead.

Disagree. those FCS schools, like FIT and Dawg said, really live off of those checks from FBS big time schools. If you schedule a terrible FBS team, why not just schedule a good FCS team and give them a big payout to help? I am a firm believer that SEC schools should schedule at least one in-state FCS school every year to help the state as a whole and that school. I know its not gonna make the schedule better or tougher, but its gonna help that school's athletic department greatly. And a team like Arkansas or LSU has a tough enough schedule as it is with one big time OOC game and the SEC gauntlet, its not like we need to strengthen teh SEC schedules.

joehogjoe
02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
sorry but I don't give a s**t about these FCS schools. Like most fans I don't get any joy out of beating the Jacksonville Sts, Tenn Techs of the world. It's not the job of the FBS schools to fund the FCS schools. Especially when we have broke schools in the SEC.

Your logic is very flawed in regards to the paying an instate school. If FCS school bama fodder gets paid by Bama or Georgia, they still get paid.

ACCFanInTraining
02-13-2013, 04:49 PM
sorry but I don't give a s**t about these FCS schools. Like most fans I don't get any joy out of beating the Jacksonville Sts, Tenn Techs of the world. It's not the job of the FBS schools to fund the FCS schools. Especially when we have broke schools in the SEC.

Your logic is very flawed in regards to the paying an instate school. If FCS school bama fodder gets paid by Bama or Georgia, they still get paid.

But if Bama plays an out of state FCS school, then the money leaves the state

S. Carolina would have a hard time with a rule like that. By state law, Clemson and SC have to play at least one in-state school (all FCS) during the season

Dawgilicious
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Its easy not to care when it doesnt do anything for you. But i know Clemson and SC have an agreement with the FCS schools in SC to help them out on a rotation basis. Its not their job to fund those schools, but it is about helping schools in your state and region that don't have the advantages that a UGA, Clemson, SC, Bama,etc have with Tv and other revenues coming in.

joehogjoe
02-13-2013, 04:55 PM

S. Carolina would have a hard time with a rule like that. By state law, Clemson and SC have to play at least one in-state school (all FCS) during the seasonso what, that FCS school in bama still gets paid by someone and money comes into the state.

I can't help that your state is so screwed up that it's legislature involves itself it things that don't concern it.

Optik
02-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Its easy not to care when it doesnt do anything for you. But i know Clemson and SC have an agreement with the FCS schools in SC to help them out on a rotation basis. Its not their job to fund those schools, but it is about helping schools in your state and region that don't have the advantages that a UGA, Clemson, SC, Bama,etc have with Tv and other revenues coming in.

There is a similar agreement UGA has with Southern to play at least once every four years or something along those lines.

Optik
02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
so what, that FCS school in bama still gets paid by someone and money comes into the state.

I can't help that your state is so screwed up that it's legislature involves itself it things that don't concern it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ark legislature do something similar with Ark State, especially if the regular season schedule gets lengthened like it needs to be.

joehogjoe
02-13-2013, 05:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ark legislature do something similar with Ark State, especially if the regular season schedule gets lengthened like it needs to be.

:rotf:

that sh**s been tried a dozen times and it always gets their butts handed back to them. The UofA has more power in defeating that kind of bs than asu has in trying to pull it.

And NO THE REGULAR SEASON DOES NOT NEED TO BE EXPANDED. There are already enough injuries.

Subrookie
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
O$U is now contemplating what cupcake FCS teams they can schedule to fill the holes in the coming years since they dumped a couple SEC teams.

I'm just glad our schedule sets up so much better this year. No neutral game vs Bama. 3 "cupcakes" and Notre Dame in the OCC, and all at home.

also getting Nebraska and osu at home, and no Wisconsin on schedule. Big away games will be at PSU and at Sparty.

Very good schedule set up for a BCS bowl run.

I think it looks good for UM. Even though they lost at least they scheduled 'Bama. Ohio State played nobody this past year, yet they are selling out of shirts that say "The Ohio State Ment". What a joke.

Optik
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
And NO THE REGULAR SEASON DOES NOT NEED TO BE EXPANDED. There are already enough injuries.

Yes it does, injury concerns are understandable, but we should increase the scholarship cap along with it to address that.

Either way, I am sure it will be expanded. More football = more $$$$$$, and in the end that is what will win out. It'll be good for balancing the schedules as well.

Storm
02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
O$U is now contemplating what cupcake FCS teams they can schedule to fill the holes in the coming years since they dumped a couple SEC teams.

I think it looks good for UM. Even though they lost at least they scheduled 'Bama. Ohio State played nobody this past year, yet they are selling out of shirts that say "The Ohio State Ment". What a joke.

next years schedule is even easier for them, IMO

ACCFanInTraining
02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
so what, that FCS school in bama still gets paid by someone and money comes into the state.

They may get paid, but the state doesn't get the other economic benefits for restaurants, hotels, gas, and etc. for having the game in-state. The public schools in the state obviously benefit from playing each other over playing schools out of state. Its pretty easy to see.

Well, thank goodness no one asks for your help

MKfromPA
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM

Yeah exactly. Only when the big underdog wins does anyone care or make a big deal about it. I assume the media nor the casual fan don't keep track of how the FCS teams finish their seasons. Some teams end up winning the FCS and nobody really knows it.... So actually that W for the favored team should carry a little more credit that is overlooked.

joehogjoe
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
They may get paid, but the state doesn't get the other economic benefits for restaurants, hotels, gas, and etc. for having the game in-state. The public schools in the state obviously benefit from playing each other over playing schools out of state. Its pretty easy to see.

Well, thank goodness no one asks for your help

oh my God you dont get it, the Home school gets the benefits, the state doesn't lose anything, in fact they probably do better by out of state competition since and instate school will just travel there and back without staying overnight.

LOL at your acquiescence to your state gov't's stupidy.

Storm
02-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Yeah exactly. Only when the big underdog wins does anyone care or make a big deal about it. I assume the media nor the casual fan don't keep track of how the FCS teams finish their seasons. Some teams end up winning the FCS and nobody really knows it.... So actually that W for the favored team should carry a little more credit that is overlooked.

I think the year App St beat Michigan, the won the NC at their level

Carolina Razorback
02-14-2013, 07:33 AM
Other than the stupid Michael Jordan, LeBron James comparisions yesterday, I listened to this all the way back from Charlottesville on sports talk.

It makes a lot of sense to me not to schedule so many cupcakes. When the playoffs start next year the selection committee is going to compare schedules. Big 1G has the right idea...

ACCFanInTraining
02-14-2013, 09:52 AM
oh my God you dont get it, the Home school gets the benefits, the state doesn't lose anything, in fact they probably do better by out of state competition since and instate school will just travel there and back without staying overnight.

LOL at your acquiescence to your state gov't's stupidy.

I see your point although I'm not sure how the state taxes work out.

But feel free to continue with the insults and incorrectly assuming my stance on SC's gov't (not that it matters much to me since I don't live in SC anymore)...but it seems to make you feel better

USC90
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM

S. Carolina would have a hard time with a rule like that. By state law, Clemson and SC have to play at least one in-state school (all FCS) during the season

I completely support this. My brother went to Wofford and I have cousins who went to the Citadel and Coastal. It was a big deal for SC State to come to Columbia. As long as the money stays in state, I have no problem with scheduling one FCS school each year.

joehogjoe
02-14-2013, 10:26 AM
I see your point although I'm not sure how the state taxes work out.

But feel free to continue with the insults and incorrectly assuming my stance on SC's gov't (not that it matters much to me since I don't live in SC anymore)...but it seems to make you feel better

I will. It's stupid for state gov't to tell the schools what they have to do.

No USC90 is acting clueless too. It must be in the water. USC plays a wofford, nobody gives a flying flip about, not really.
Wofford gets money regardless if they play instate our out. Wofford could go outta state and probably play say florida, and get more money to bring back to the state of sc than what SC pays.

USC90
02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
:rotf:

that sh**s been tried a dozen times and it always gets their butts handed back to them. The UofA has more power in defeating that kind of bs than asu has in trying to pull it.

It's about more than money. This honestly isn't a dig but I don't think Arkansas fans understand what it's like to have in-state rivalries and several strong in-state football programs. I might be showing my ignorance, but how many FCS schools does Arkansas have? One or two? And then one BCS school and one non-BCS FBS school. SC has seven FCS schools and two BCS schools and we take pride in having lots of places for in-state high school talent to play. I have zero problem supporting those schools and I like seeing so many former SC high school players on the field at the same time.

Arkansas can do whatever it wants, but this program of Carolina and Clemson supporting the in-state FCS schools works for us.

USC90
02-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I will. It's stupid for state gov't to tell the schools what they have to do.

No USC90 is acting clueless too. It must be in the water. USC plays a wofford, nobody gives a flying flip about, not really.
Wofford gets money regardless if they play instate our out. Wofford could go outta state and probably play say florida, and get more money to bring back to the state of sc than what SC pays.

Joe, you worry about Arkansas and we'll worry about SC. I can tell you that the FCS schools sell their program to in-state recruits by pointing out that they will play at least one if not two games in their career at either Carolina or Clemson. That's a big motivation. That's a big stadium that they've seen all their lives and now they get to play a game there.

joehogjoe
02-14-2013, 10:54 AM
pitiful.

ACCFanInTraining
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, Joe's assumption is that an FCS schools can schedule a FBS school any time it wants to. Debatable. At best.

But this is where we can all LOL at Joe

It's stupid for state gov't to tell the schools what they have to do.
Whoever heard of a state gov't telling a state public school what to do?

joehogjoe
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
They don't where I'm from. Of course the UofA athletic dept. doesn't take any funds from the state. Makes it easier I suppose.

Urb Gruber
02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Other than the stupid Michael Jordan, LeBron James comparisions yesterday, I listened to this all the way back from Charlottesville on sports talk.

It makes a lot of sense to me not to schedule so many cupcakes. When the playoffs start next year the selection committee is going to compare schedules. Big 1G has the right idea...

Clearly you think Kobe is better than those 2. :rotf:

Carolina Razorback
02-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Clearly you think Kobe is better than those 2. :rotf:

Ha Ha...Kobe has 5 rings but Shaq was MVP in 3 out of the 5 championships...

It's not even debatable...MJ has 6 rings and 6 MVPs...

Urb Gruber
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Ha Ha...Kobe has 5 rings but Shaq was MVP in 3 out of the 5 championships...

It's not even debatable...MJ has 6 rings and 6 MVPs...

I am to ascertain that you would take LeBron over MJ? :rotf:

Carolina Razorback
02-14-2013, 05:05 PM
I am to ascertain that you would take LeBron over MJ? :rotf:

Ask me after LeBron has 6 rings...

Optik
02-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Ask me after LeBron has 6 rings...

You mean if he gets 6 rings.

For my money, it goes: MJ, Kobe, ......................Lebron.

Carolina Razorback
02-15-2013, 08:58 AM
You mean if he gets 6 rings.

For my money, it goes: MJ, Kobe, ......................Lebron.

Agree...

Storm
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
can't compare until careers are over. LeBron is the most complete player of the three, though. It's a shame it took him 7 years to develope a killer attitude though.

Carolina Razorback
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah and I'm not sure anyone even remembers who Damon Wade is anymore...I mean Dwayne...

MKfromPA
02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I think the year App St beat Michigan, the won the NC at their level

My point exactly.

North Dakota State won the FCS title this year. They won at Colorado State, 22-7, this past year. I know that's not saying much but the top FCS teams can compete, and even beat FBS teams.

GatorMan32
02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
My point exactly.

North Dakota State won the FCS title this year. They won at Colorado State, 22-7, this past year. I know that's not saying much but the top FCS teams can compete, and even beat FBS teams.bet they could beat plenty of MAC teams the B1G plays frequently.

MKfromPA
02-16-2013, 11:52 AM
bet they could beat plenty of MAC teams the B1G plays frequently.

I agree. They might be able to give Northern Illinois, a 2013 BCS Bowl participant, a run for their money. I also believe they can beat teams from the weaker conferences such as the WAC, Sun-Belt, and C-USA. Mostly depends on the team though.

Urb Gruber
02-16-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree. They might be able to give Northern Illinois, a 2013 BCS Bowl participant, a run for their money. I also believe they can beat teams from the weaker conferences such as the WAC, Sun-Belt, and C-USA. Mostly depends on the team though.

As the newly appointed Semantic Nazi of the Forum, it is my duty to point out that the WAC no longer exists in Football.

MKfromPA
02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
As the newly appointed Semantic Nazi of the Forum, it is my duty to point out that the WAC no longer exists in Football.

You are correct. Thank you.

MKfromPA
03-03-2013, 09:16 PM
bet they could beat plenty of MAC teams the B1G plays frequently.

Every now and then the MAC team upsets the Big Ten school. Ohio won at Penn State last year.

zud the hut
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I completely support this. My brother went to Wofford and I have cousins who went to the Citadel and Coastal. It was a big deal for SC State to come to Columbia. As long as the money stays in state, I have no problem with scheduling one FCS school each year.
There isn't a law but when Skip was the AD, he enacted a plan to play at least one Louisiana school siting that it helps that school and the state of Louisiana. LSU alternates playing state schools like McNeese, ULM, ULL, La Tech and Tulane.

MKfromPA
04-09-2013, 07:19 PM
There isn't a law but when Skip was the AD, he enacted a plan to play at least one Louisiana school siting that it helps that school and the state of Louisiana. LSU alternates playing state schools like McNeese, ULM, ULL, La Tech and Tulane.

I wish LSU would play Tulane more often. I personally enjoy that rivalry. But it's unfortunate it has not been competitive since the 80s due to LSU's sheer dominance.

zud the hut
04-10-2013, 11:02 PM
I wish LSU would play Tulane more often. I personally enjoy that rivalry. But it's unfortunate it has not been competitive since the 80s due to LSU's sheer dominance.
Tuck Fulane!!!

MKfromPA
04-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Tuck Fulane!!!

I kind of expected that one. Not to hijack this thread about LSU/Tulane, but do you think the two schools should play each other more often in football?

zud the hut
04-14-2013, 02:05 AM
I kind of expected that one. Not to hijack this thread about LSU/Tulane, but do you think the two schools should play each other more often in football?

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I detest them ever since there was a fight that broke out in Death Valley back in the 80's. They always attempt to take advantage of LSU fans when they go to NOLA by overcharging. I'd like it if we didn't play them evah!

MKfromPA
04-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I detest them ever since there was a fight that broke out in Death Valley back in the 80's. They always attempt to take advantage of LSU fans when they go to NOLA by overcharging. I'd like it if we didn't play them evah!

Well, LSU pretty much "owns" Louisiana in-state bragging rights with the other in-state schools in college football. They really haven't been challenged in a while. How about playing some of the smaller schools more often, like ULM, ULL, or a bigger school like LA Tech? Can you see a possible rivalry budding for any of them?

zud the hut
04-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, LSU pretty much "owns" Louisiana in-state bragging rights with the other in-state schools in college football. They really haven't been challenged in a while. How about playing some of the smaller schools more often, like ULM, ULL, or a bigger school like LA Tech? Can you see a possible rivalry budding for any of them?
We play all of them and McNeese from Lake Charles. But usually one per year but I remember playing 2 of them one year.

When Skip was the AD...he bought back playing 2limp on a long term contract playing all the games in the Superdome but that contract was voided after a while. Most LSU fans didn't support it. Personally I don't want anything to do with 2limp becuz there is no winning for us in any dealings with them.

I don't look for any rivals developing from playing them unless they get better consistently. We have all the rivals we need in the SEC West and Florida from the East!

MKfromPA
04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
We play all of them and McNeese from Lake Charles. But usually one per year but I remember playing 2 of them one year.

When Skip was the AD...he bought back playing 2limp on a long term contract playing all the games in the Superdome but that contract was voided after a while. Most LSU fans didn't support it. Personally I don't want anything to do with 2limp becuz there is no winning for us in any dealings with them.

I don't look for any rivals developing from playing them unless they get better consistently. We have all the rivals we need in the SEC West and Florida from the East!

Thanks. I think LA Tech and LSU could play some competitive games in the years to come with the way Tech's program is improving. That would be a nice game for LSU to add if they can continue to win.

zud the hut
04-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks. I think LA Tech and LSU could play some competitive games in the years to come with the way Tech's program is improving. That would be a nice game for LSU to add if they can continue to win.
I left out NSU or Northwestern State in Natchitoches or as I call it Natchitrash. We played them recently.

Sonny Dykes is a good coach and it turns out that he is good for Latech. He did a great job @ Latech. The Wacky WAC is no more. I will follow what Dykes does @ Cal and the Pac12 becuz I like him. Latech has wanted to be in CUSA for years and now they start in it this year. Skip Holtz seems to be a good fit there and we will see if he can continue the building of the program. Latech was too good last year not to be in a bowl game. But I see that as being their own fault. The Independence Bowl invited them but they told the bowl that they were working with a new bowl game in Dallas and with the Liberty Bowl in Memphis and that they were hoping for an invitation soon and could they hold out until they worked it out? There were several items working this agenda. When a bowl invites you to their bowl game...thanks for the offer but I'm waiting to go somewhere else and can you hold the phone while I do that? It's like asking a girl to the prom and she says that she is talking to a couple of other guys and could you ask me again if things don't work out with them? The other thing that was operating here was the history of Latech/ULM. They used to have a great rivalry that was well attended until Latech decided that they were too big of a program to play ULM. This Indy Bowl was ULM's first bowl game and Latech didn't want to play them. The Indy Bowl took on criticism for not taking Latech but the thing is that they did invite them and truly Latech was too good not to be playing in a bowl game.

If Latech continues to improve and be competitive, then they could become somewhat of a rival for LSU but you know that Latech can only be second fiddle at best in the state of Louisiana.

MKfromPA
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I left out NSU or Northwestern State in Natchitoches or as I call it Natchitrash. We played them recently.

Sonny Dykes is a good coach and it turns out that he is good for Latech. He did a great job @ Latech. The Wacky WAC is no more. I will follow what Dykes does @ Cal and the Pac12 becuz I like him. Latech has wanted to be in CUSA for years and now they start in it this year. Skip Holtz seems to be a good fit there and we will see if he can continue the building of the program. Latech was too good last year not to be in a bowl game. But I see that as being their own fault. The Independence Bowl invited them but they told the bowl that they were working with a new bowl game in Dallas and with the Liberty Bowl in Memphis and that they were hoping for an invitation soon and could they hold out until they worked it out? There were several items working this agenda. When a bowl invites you to their bowl game...thanks for the offer but I'm waiting to go somewhere else and can you hold the phone while I do that? It's like asking a girl to the prom and she says that she is talking to a couple of other guys and could you ask me again if things don't work out with them? The other thing that was operating here was the history of Latech/ULM. They used to have a great rivalry that was well attended until Latech decided that they were too big of a program to play ULM. This Indy Bowl was ULM's first bowl game and Latech didn't want to play them. The Indy Bowl took on criticism for not taking Latech but the thing is that they did invite them and truly Latech was too good not to be playing in a bowl game.

If Latech continues to improve and be competitive, then they could become somewhat of a rival for LSU but you know that Latech can only be second fiddle at best in the state of Louisiana.

Very interesting story. It's a shame Tech handled the bowl situation in that manner. That's unprofessional, IMO. When any bowl game offers you a spot first, you take it, I don't care what you're waiting for. Also, given your statement about the Tech/ULM rivalry, it would have been nice to see them square off. That's what is great about bowl games, sometimes they create very intriguing matchups. In some cases, the games feature two teams that had a long history of playing one another, as your example would have pointed out had the situation occurred.

I agree LSU will always be "King of LA". Any other school has tremendous work to do to even catch them in terms of football. I think for there even to be rivalry "talk", Tech would have to beat LSU. Can't see that happening in the near future.