Blaine Taylor fired by ODU [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Taylor fired by ODU

Dawgilicious
02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Now, he is 2-20 this year and he lost some guys off of last year's team.

Overall, he has been at ODU for 12 years, gone to 8 straight postseason appearances. He has averaged a 25-10 record over the past 4 seasons. he was 237-124 prior to this seasons disaster. There is more to this story that got him fired, cause if you have all of these credentials you arent fired for one bad season and in the middle of that season for that matter.

GR8NESS
02-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Also... There's no reason you have this bad of a season with what was predicted to be a "decent" team without something else happening.

Dawgilicious
02-05-2013, 04:05 PM
well they knew it was going to be a rebuilding team this year, but not 2-20. Apparently he came to a radio show the day after a game intoxicated. Basically lost best player in kent bazemore and also had to replace Chris Cooper who was the 2nd leading scorer from last year. The AD was asked 2 weeks ago about Taylor and he was quoted as saying that he was secure and nothing would happen....lol...Guess that is not set in stone.

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Dawg, that's not the whole story. Remember they are leaving the CAA and the CAA won't even allow them into their conference tourney, so they really have nothing to play for this year. That makes his firing even more egregious. No excuse for this, unless like you say something else is up.

We played them last year with our national champs and it was a terrible game for us. ODU was always good.

I tell you, he should have never shaved that 'stache. It was the best in college hoops. lol

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2013, 05:09 PM
I must add this BTW, the ODU AD is Wood Selig, who is a well-respected AD. He was the first guy to put a clause in his coaches contracts that if they leave for a BCS team, that program has to schedule the coaches' old program for two or four years. Selig did that at Western Kentucky. Thus, Selig is a great AD and he knows what he's doing. I have to think something else is at play here.

Dawgilicious
02-05-2013, 05:18 PM
oh i know they are leaving the CAA, i dont know how much input he had in that though. There is def more too it and the guys who are the experts at CBS have said the same thing. I know how you feel about in season firings

kentubbybasketball
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Clearly, it's other stuff. That's what the official statement says. Lost in the shuffle of this mess is that this is actually a good job. I bet lots of guys, even some head coaches, will try to latch on here.

bamablazer
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
He has a drinking problem. Taylor was clearly intoxicated at his coaches' show a couple weeks ago; couldn't pronounce his players names, slurred speech, spilled his drink all over himself. Final straw was showing up to his last game drunk.

ODU tried to help but he refused to admit he has a big problem.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2013, 10:46 PM
He had even he hasnt had a drink since 1995.