NCAA has screwed up their Miami investigation [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NCAA has screwed up their Miami investigation

AURex
01-23-2013, 04:19 PM
NCAA investigators screwed up their inquiries. Many people who expected to be named in the notice of allegations had been briefed in recent days about what charges they may face, and the NCAA and Miami had reviewed some draft, or preliminary, findings. But now, it looks like the NCAA will have to regroup.

A fairly lengthy description of the problem appears here
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-announces-problems-miami-investigation-180509729--spt.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-announces-problems-miami-investigation-180509729--spt.html)

A brief quote:

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- The NCAA has found what it calls ''a very severe issue of improper conduct'' committed by former members of its own enforcement program during the Miami investigation, and will not deliver the long-awaited notice of allegations against the Hurricanes until an external review is completed.

NCAA President Mark Emmert announced the findings Wednesday. The sports governing body said former enforcement staff members worked with the criminal defense attorney for former Miami booster and convicted Ponzi scheme architect Nevin Shapiro ''to improperly obtain information ... through a bankruptcy proceeding that did not involve the NCAA.''

''I am deeply disappointed and frustrated and even angry about these circumstances,'' said Emmert, who also described it as ''a shocking affair.''

rolling baby
01-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Like many bureacratic bullies, they've oversteeped their bounds and screwed the pooch.

Really Big Bama Fan
01-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Like many bureacratic bullies, they've oversteeped their bounds and screwed the pooch.

Couldn't happen to a better group of autocratic bureaucrats.

AURex
01-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Thing is, there's no way to unsee the information they've gathered back-channel. So Miami could easily and effectively contest any sanctions NCAA levies. Miami admits to a lot of rule breaking and has been self-imposing some pretty minor penalties on itself, given the seriousness of the rules broken. What was going on there was much worse than the stuff at USCw or Tosu. And they continued offending even after the charges were made the first time, so they could have been looking at a level of penalties similar to Penn State.

But at this point, I suspect all the NCAA will be able to do is sit down with Miami leadership and try to negotiate some further penalties that they can agree on, just to move on. If so, Miami has just lucked out.

planetalker
01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
The only thing that surprises me is that Emmert is shocked!

NCAA investigators screwed up their inquiries. Many people who expected to be named in the notice of allegations had been briefed in recent days about what charges they may face, and the NCAA and Miami had reviewed some draft, or preliminary, findings. But now, it looks like the NCAA will have to regroup.

A fairly lengthy description of the problem appears here
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-announces-problems-miami-investigation-180509729--spt.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-announces-problems-miami-investigation-180509729--spt.html)

A brief quote:

Dawgilicious
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
At least he stopped it before it was released

SCBobo85
02-03-2013, 02:16 PM
They probably intentionally violated their "process" requirements so that they wouldn't have to hand down the death penalty. What is shocking to me is that the NCAA insists that it doesn't have to rely on precedent, and isn't subject to the "rule of law" because it is a private governmental organization. Yet, this time its "whoops, our investigation doesn't comport with the US Constitution so we can't use this!"

Thinks that make you say "hmmmmmmmmmm."

Urb Gruber
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
They probably intentionally violated their "process" requirements so that they wouldn't have to hand down the death penalty. What is shocking to me is that the NCAA insists that it doesn't have to rely on precedent, and isn't subject to the "rule of law" because it is a private governmental organization. Yet, this time its "whoops, our investigation doesn't comport with the US Constitution so we can't use this!"

Thinks that make you say "hmmmmmmmmmm."

Whatever they found is so damning to the NCAA that if they didn't "mess up" the investigation, it would have crippled the NCAA.

Herchel
02-03-2013, 05:16 PM
I read a statement from a NCAA field investigator. He said they did nothing wrong, and is mystified as to why Emmert would do this. There is something rotten in Denmark.

aradea
02-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Funtastic.....