Tubbystache is a winner! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Tubbystache is a winner!

AURex
01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Tubby Smith has Minnesota playing well. In the top 10 with wins over ranked Illinois and Michigan State, and the only loss to Duke. They haven't gotten into the heart of B1G play yet, so they may fade. But for now ...

I watched the Michigan State game. Tubby's grown himself a stache. I suspect he will not shave it off so long as the Gophers are winning. hahaha

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3715657/512x.0_standard_352.0.jpg

kentubbybasketball
01-02-2013, 04:18 PM
We haven't beaten Illinois. But, we have beaten Memphis, Florida State, USC,m etc.

And, since it's been brought up, Tubby's stache was grown as part of No Shave November to help raise cancer awareness, so it's more than some superstitious thing. Donna hates it! lol Tubby hasn't had a stache since 1991 when he was at Kentucky as an assistant. Tubby shaved it then because he was going out for head jobs like Greensboro then and felt it would hurt his chances.

AURex
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Ooops! It was Missouri beat Illinois. I don't really care why Tubby grew it, and I don't care if Donna hates it. I like the Tubbystache and hope he keeps it.

As for Illinois, being a an Illinois grad, I'd rather Minnesota not beat them. I'd like to see Illinois playing big boy ball this year. Illinois had way too much trouble with lowly Auburn last weekend. (That was a game where I'd be happy whichever team won, but realistically, Illinois has a better team.)

kentubbybasketball
01-02-2013, 06:59 PM
I wasn't asking if you cared for the record. Just trying to make sure you get your facts right. Personally, I am glad that Tubby, a recent cancer survivor himself, has grown the mustache to show his respect toward those who struggle through the dreaded disease.

AURex
01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Well, thanks so much for informing me of my factual error.

Sheez!

boxvic
01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I wish mustaches would come back into style. Its awesome when an older guy grows one. Hipsters have ruined them for those of us under 40 though.

Dawgilicious
01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
That FSU win is losing a lot of its muster. they just lost at Auburn to drop to 8-5. Def under achieving team this yr

kentubbybasketball
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I wasn't saying it was a great win. I was just telling him the "names" we've beaten, because we hadn't beaten (or played) Illinois... yet. Illinois is a good matchup for us. Austin Hollins is an undervalued player nationally and in the Big Ten (Andre gets the press), but Austin is a capable perimeter defender, which is key vs Illinois.

I'm more concerned with Northwestern right now though. That's what stands between us and a 2-0 record in the Big Ten, which is great, because our first five Big Ten games are not easy.

kentubbybasketball
01-06-2013, 08:32 PM
I'll just make this into the Tubby Smith thread.

We are laying it on a depleted Northwestern team right now. 39 points after just 30 minutes of play isn't all that great, but holding the other team to 23 is freakin' awesome. Even Tubby's best UK teams didn't defend like that always. We aren't an overly big team but we can switch on virtually any screen with our starters. We don't have one superstar (although we have a three-headed superstar in Andre Hollins, Trevor Mbakwe, and Rodney Williams). Williams and Mbakwe are the most athletic frontcourt duo in the country. I love the systematic play of Joe Coleman and Austin Hollins too. I love of our team.

kentubbybasketball
01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
BTW, Austin Hollins is 5/7 from three tonight.

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Joe Coleman posts a career high vs Illiniois!! 29 points. 17 point win on the road against the #12 team. Heading into the game at Indiana, our confidence is high. We are the only team to beat IU at IU last year (not even the all-time great Kentucky team beat IU at Assembly Hall last year).

Dawgilicious
01-10-2013, 04:54 PM
I was surprised you didnt post about this last night. Not a Illinois fan so a Minnesota win is very happy for me. They are looking good. That win for Duke over them is looking better and better, but 'Sota is playing some good ball right now for sure

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2013, 04:59 PM
I haven't been posting as much as I normally do because I'm a little under the weather. Rest assured, I'm keeping up with my Cats and Gophers though.

Minnesota is a one or two seed at this juncture. Looking at their wins, the teams they've opposed (including the Duke loss), I find that hard to debate. Right now, we are definitely having our best season since the 1997 Final Four season when we won the Big Ten. Tubby is the Big Ten Coach of the Year at this point (shockingly for the first time).

Dawgilicious
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
yeah I can def put them on that 1 or 2 line. Cant deny the resume they are putting together. Winning at Illinois is a big win, i think they play Michigan soon too

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
We actually are at Indiana and then vs Michigan. Think about that we could be 3-2 by this time next week in the Big Ten, but we would have the season series with Michigan over and would have already played at IU. I might think we were in the driver's seat for the Big Ten somewhat if we manage to split one of the two games. If we split one of the two games, it means IU or Michigan would also have an extra loss. This Big Ten is flat nasty and has been for years now; it's the best collection of coaches in the country and it's not just the two title coaches (Tubby and Izzo).

Dawgilicious
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
If they can win both of those games, they could be in a great place...4-0 in the Big Ten and they get the bottom of the conf with Nwestern, Wisconsin, nebraska and Iowa

kentubbybasketball
01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Purdue also. I think Michigan is our worst matchup. Glad we play just once and its at the Barn. I was at the Barn almost two years ago btw. That place is historic.

Dawgilicious
01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
yeah getting that game at home def helps. winning that game could help them on very many levels.

kentubbybasketball
01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Big game tonight for us against Michigan. Tubby vs Beilen; Minnesota vs Michigan; kentubbybasketball vs Storm. It's on. lol jk