Report: Howland is on his way out [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Report: Howland is on his way out

Dawgilicious
12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
This is being reported by Tracy Pierson, very refutable source within UCLA Athletics. UCLA is currently leaning toward replacing Ben Howland as its head basketball coach, and he could be let go before the end of the season, according to sources.

There is also an indication that UCLA has taken preliminary steps in investigating potential coaching candidates. Sources are indicating that booster and donation support of Howland has diminished considerably so far this season, and that has been critical in this development.

Frankly, none of this is a surprise. Howland is alienating boosters and coaching in front of sparsely populated crowds in the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion. Players keep transferring out of UCLA, which certainly isnít a good thing considering that Howland has dealt with two major PR disasters in 2012: George Dohrmannís article in SI chronicling everything that went on in the UCLA program during Howlandís tenure and the fact that everyone that follows college hoops believes that he, in some way, managed to circumvent NCAA rules to land Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson.

kentubbybasketball
12-20-2012, 08:01 PM
This is being reported by Tracy Pierson, very refutable source within UCLA Athletics. UCLA is currently leaning toward replacing Ben Howland as its head basketball coach, and he could be let go before the end of the season, according to sources.

There is also an indication that UCLA has taken preliminary steps in investigating potential coaching candidates. Sources are indicating that booster and donation support of Howland has diminished considerably so far this season, and that has been critical in this development.

Frankly, none of this is a surprise. Howland is alienating boosters and coaching in front of sparsely populated crowds in the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion. Players keep transferring out of UCLA, which certainly isn’t a good thing considering that Howland has dealt with two major PR disasters in 2012: George Dohrmann’s article in SI chronicling everything that went on in the UCLA program during Howland’s tenure and the fact that everyone that follows college hoops believes that he, in some way, managed to circumvent NCAA rules to land Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson.

Is she a refutable source or a reputable source? Those are two stark contrasts there.

Here's the thing. At UCLA, you can't survive one poor season really (ask Steve Lavin; he had 5 Sweet 16s in 6 years, then in 2003 he had one bad year... ONE... and it was over). Howland got a reprieve due to the final fours. Then, he may've been let go last year if Muhammad wasn't likely coming. But, Howland did end up getting the #1 class (Parker and Adams, too) and that only increased pressure in a sense, because now he has high caliber talent. Muhammad and Anderson are simply out of shape though and haven't played as well as they could. Jordan Adams was really playing well before 'Bazz came.

I've heard the rumors about potential cheating to get Anderson and Muhammad too, and who knows if that's true. I really think the expose last year by SI is what will end up really signalling the beginning of the end.

That said, I don't endorse firing coaches midseason. I still think UK shouldn't have done that to Joker Phillips. Give the guy the dignity of ending his season, maybe tell him he won't be returning, but don't embarrass him midseason. This isn't the NBA where you're dealing with pros. Who makes sure the guys go to class once the coach is outted.

Howland's system does work. It's not the most popping style of play, but he'll have plenty of offers because of what he did at Northern Arizona and Pitt.

From a UCLA perspective, I'm hearing Greg Marshall. I do think you make a play for Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart. This might be the one job that either of them would bolt for, because if you can win there, you'll be adored and you're far enough removed from Wooden that you won't be always compared to him I'd imagine. Plus, Pauley is newly-renovated and it's a name brand. IT's a great job should it come open.

Optik
12-20-2012, 10:49 PM

Frankly, none of this is a surprise. Howland is alienating boosters and coaching in front of sparsely populated crowds in the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion. Players keep transferring out of UCLA, which certainly isn’t a good thing considering that Howland has dealt with two major PR disasters in 2012: George Dohrmann’s article in SI chronicling everything that went on in the UCLA program during Howland’s tenure and the fact that everyone that follows college hoops believes that he, in some way, managed to circumvent NCAA rules to land Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson.

And Tony Parker.

MKfromPA
12-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Howland has a big game with Mizzou tonight at home. If they lose, I think UCLA fans might start calling for a coaching change in the near future. I mean maybe during this season.

kentubbybasketball
12-28-2012, 05:44 PM
They've been playing some better after this whole report came out, so I think the natives have laid off a bit, but I agree, you gotta win the ones against names. With it being a homer, it takes on added importance. Good call, MK, as usual.

MKfromPA
12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
They've been playing some better after this whole report came out, so I think the natives have laid off a bit, but I agree, you gotta win the ones against names. With it being a homer, it takes on added importance. Good call, MK, as usual.

UCLA played a hell of a game last night, wow. Howland brought his team up to the challenge. As much as I don't like him I have to praise the way he had his team playing and the means by which his kids pulled it out. This is a confidence boosting win and UCLA will need it to continue to build momentum. I bet a lot of fans and alums won't be jumping up and down because they are UCLA and are EXPECTED to win, and win the big games. The Bruins should garner some more attention now, and it's on Howland to see how his team continues to play. With PAC-12 play starting, this could be a critical juncture for Howland. A poor start might be detrimental...

kentubbybasketball
12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Told you they had been improving. It's not a shock when you have talent.

MKfromPA
12-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Told you they had been improving. It's not a shock when you have talent.

Yep you were definitely correct. UCLA is headed in the right direction. Not to get totally ahead of the W, but if the Bruins can control the PAC-12 by season's end, that would be a major achievement.

kentubbybasketball
12-30-2012, 07:52 AM
At worse, shoudln't they finish second though? Arizona is going to be there, but there's nobody else that I see in the Pac 12 that I'm like, "UCLA might struggle with them."

MKfromPA
12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
At worse, shoudln't they finish second though? Arizona is going to be there, but there's nobody else that I see in the Pac 12 that I'm like, "UCLA might struggle with them."

Yep, Arizona is a tough team. They're fairly strong this year. Oregon is off to a roll but I can't see them cruising through PAC-12 play. Wazzu should be decent, but not a league title contender. Other than that, it's UCLA's or Arizona's to lose.

kentubbybasketball
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
I watched Wazzu some yesterday and wasn't all that impressed so I agree. I haven't really watched Oregon much this year. What's your take on them, because I think Dana Altman will rebuild them.

MKfromPA
01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
I watched Wazzu some yesterday and wasn't all that impressed so I agree. I haven't really watched Oregon much this year. What's your take on them, because I think Dana Altman will rebuild them.

IMO Oregon is flying under the radar this year, at least at this point in the non-conference schedule. They lost to Cincy, which is understandable, but the loss at UTEP is a game they should have won. Their best win is against UNLV. Not sure how much weight that W carries since the Rebels are likely out of the Top 25 after losing to UNC.

Ducks have a tough start to PAC-12 play. Opening at Oregon State, who is 10-3, then they have the Arizona schools at home in the subsequent 2 games. IMO we'll find out a lot about Oregon in the next 2 weeks or so.

I agree that Altman will rebuild them. They'll go as far as their early season consistency will take them.

MKfromPA
01-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Oregon's upset of Arizona was a total "WOW!" for me. I thought Oregon was good, but not good enough to hang with the 'Cats. The Ducks really showed me something, that they have the potential to hang with the best in the PAC-12. Now let's see if they can sustain the great play.

kentubbybasketball
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Artis has done well, and getting Kazemi was huge, too for them.

MKfromPA
01-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm interested to see how Oregon will do tonight against Arizona State. Sun Devils are off to a fast start, are they for real? So far, Oregon has passed its early PAC-12 tests. They should cruise until they play UCLA, pending a W tonight.

kentubbybasketball
01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
As I've gotten older, I can't stay up as late as I once did. It keeps me from enjoying Pac 12 hoops as I'd like.

GatorMan32
01-14-2013, 08:53 AM
in fairness the level of play has dropped off so their fans dont enjoy it the way they used to either LOL

MKfromPA
01-14-2013, 09:52 AM
in fairness the level of play has dropped off so their fans dont enjoy it the way they used to either LOL

Yep, though the expectations of coaching at UCLA are still there. Bruins have a BIG showdown with Oregon on Saturday. Will their level of play stay low or rise to the expected level?

As I've gotten older, I can't stay up as late as I once did. It keeps me from enjoying Pac 12 hoops as I'd like.

Me as well. PAC-12 games are on too late for me to watch, even though I like to follow some teams out west. IMO this is one reason why the west coast teams do not get a lot of respect, because viewers on the east coast often do not watch their games due to the 3 hour time difference.

kentubbybasketball
01-14-2013, 01:25 PM
I am in the central time zone tho so it is only two hours difference. I still cannot do it that late lol.

MKfromPA
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
I am in the central time zone tho so it is only two hours difference. I still cannot do it that late lol.

Fans of teams in the west have the advantage over us in that they essentially watch every game without it really being on too late. Unless we're talking March Madness, to me it's not worth staying up that late...

kentubbybasketball
01-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I think for the most part the fans out west are basketball fans too. Do you think that's a fair assessment? I could see an argument either way.

MKfromPA
01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
I think for the most part the fans out west are basketball fans too. Do you think that's a fair assessment? I could see an argument either way.

I would generally say yes. Particularly for the big markets - LA, SF/Oakland, PHX, etc - due to NBA influence. There are some good college teams in those cities too. Even some of the other states such as Nevada and Utah are probably full of bball fans - UNLV, Utah, Utah State, etc. - all are solid programs. These are just some examples. States that I didn't mention have their basketball fans too.

MKfromPA
01-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I guess Oregon is a legit team. I was surprised to see UCLA go down. They were in control late in the second half. They just couldn't make shots and had some sloppy plays. Howland will have some explaining to do. Credit to Oregon for getting the W. Despite not having to play Arizona again, they still have work to do to win the conference. It's far from over, IMO.

kentubbybasketball
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I got my first really good look at Oregon. They have a freshman backcourt in Dotson and Artis and what they are doing is incredible to a year removed from prom and high school in general. I like the look Kazemi gives them. That's the one guy they can't take off the court in a late clutch game, because of his defense and rebounding. I think Wood inside gives them a nice rim protector. I personally think they are in the driver's seat in the Pac 12 race now that they have beaten both UCLA and Arizona... and they won't have to play either again... think about how nice the schedule is set up for this club. I do think they need to be a bit more selective in some of the shots they take (part of the frosh backcourt), but they are the real deal. A Sweet 16 threat for sure.

MKfromPA
01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah let's see if Oregon can keep it up. I will be impressed if they sustain this all throughout the season. It's one thing to make a run in the regular season, but then struggle in the conference tournament and in the NCAAs. But your analysis of the Ducks is spot on. UO is really set up for a run at the PAC-12 regular season crown. A couple more small hurdles stand in their way, but as you point out, they have already beaten the big boys so their difficult stretch is done. I too expect them to keep rolling on. Every team slips up and if they lose to a team they are supposed to beat, I would understand because no team is perfect.

kentubbybasketball
01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
As long as the freshman don't hit the proverbial freshman wall, I think they will keep rolling with a minor setback here and there.

MKfromPA
01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
As long as the freshman don't hit the proverbial freshman wall, I think they will keep rolling with a minor setback here and there.

Their next couple games could be interesting. I want to see how they fare against Washington, who is a surprise this year in the conference. Wazzu should not be a setback for UO, unless they have a hangover from the UCLA game.

MKfromPA
03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Interesting match up in the NCAAT that pits Howland against your Gophers, KT. IMO not a game for Howland and UCLA to slouch in, by any stretch. I think he is expected to win it...

Urb Gruber
03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Interesting match up in the NCAAT that pits Howland against your Gophers, KT. IMO not a game for Howland and UCLA to slouch in, by any stretch. I think he is expected to win it...

All the KIA's are taking Minnesota to win including Vegas (-3).

kentubbybasketball
03-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Depending on who you believe both coaches (final four coaches, mind you) are on the hot seat.

MKfromPA
03-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Depending on who you believe both coaches (final four coaches, mind you) are on the hot seat.

Tubby is definitely on the hot seat because of the slump Minnesota endured to end the regular season/B10 tournament. They will have lost 8 of their last 11 games if UCLA wins. No excuse to lose that many, particularly down the stretch. Yeah, they play in the best RPI conference, but they have a decent team to play that poorly.

From my perspective, Howland's team lost a couple games in the PAC-12 that it shouldn't have - at WSU, at Cal, USC, at ASU. He's got increased pressure because he failed to win the PAC-12 Tournament, even though they won the regular season championship.

But I guess if you consider each situation, they're in about the same position pressure-wise. So I agree with you.

kentubbybasketball
03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Historically speaking though, Tubby's tenure has far surpassed what Minnesota is used to. IT's rather silly to suggest somebody is on the hot seat going to 3 NCAATs, 1 NIT final, and winning over .610 of his games in six years. That's silly given the culture there. (Believe I know being from there).

MKfromPA
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Historically speaking though, Tubby's tenure has far surpassed what Minnesota is used to. IT's rather silly to suggest somebody is on the hot seat going to 3 NCAATs, 1 NIT final, and winning over .610 of his games in six years. That's silly given the culture there. (Believe I know being from there).

I agree. It's kind of a double-dagger. Tubby's brought a lot of success to the program from his coaching career and translated that to Minnesota. As you pointed out he has brought the Gophers success and a program that is now gaining respect and recruits. Now the school expects him to win, and to continue to perform well. It's almost as if he doesn't live up to what he's accomplished there, the pressure is there.

kentubbybasketball
03-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Right, we have 12 total NCAAT appearances and Tubby has three of them. That says something.

MKfromPA
03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Right, we have 12 total NCAAT appearances and Tubby has three of them. That says something.

Shows how great of a coach Tubby is. He's basically etching himself a space in Gopher's history. Should be a good game tonight.

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Definitely.

MKfromPA
03-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Definitely.

I didn't watch the game last night because it was on too late, lol. But wow, Minnesota winning by 20! Tubby's boys showed Howland's how to play round ball. haha Not a good loss at all for UCLA...

kentubbybasketball
03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
UCLA cut it down to around 11 but Minny was called for a foul, UCLA makes one of two free throws, yet get a technical on the play and that pretty much started our run to put it out of reach.

MKfromPA
03-24-2013, 12:33 PM
UCLA cut it down to around 11 but Minny was called for a foul, UCLA makes one of two free throws, yet get a technical on the play and that pretty much started our run to put it out of reach.

Gotcha. So they were never really close (inside 10). Well there's rumor out that Howland will be fired by UCLA today. Not sure what I make of it. Half of me says, yes I understand why that would happen, yet the other half says, wow are you serious?

kentubbybasketball
03-24-2013, 01:01 PM
MK, think about it like this, he does have those 4 Pac 10/12 titles and three straight final fours, but hasn't made the Sweet 16 since either 2008 or 2009. Steve Lavin was fired after making 5 of 7 Sweet 16s, so while his results have been great at times, they've been much worse than Lavin's more often.

I hate to see anybdoy get fired. I kinda hope it doesn't happy, but coaches get fired every day I suppose.

MKfromPA
03-29-2013, 07:18 PM
MK, think about it like this, he does have those 4 Pac 10/12 titles and three straight final fours, but hasn't made the Sweet 16 since either 2008 or 2009. Steve Lavin was fired after making 5 of 7 Sweet 16s, so while his results have been great at times, they've been much worse than Lavin's more often.

I hate to see anybdoy get fired. I kinda hope it doesn't happy, but coaches get fired every day I suppose.

I agree. At UCLA it's about how many Final Fours and National Titles the coach wins. Making the tournament and the Sweet 16 is assumed. That's how high the expectations are. So from that perspective, it makes sense Ben Howland was fired. Do I agree with it? No.

GatorMan32
03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
they might want to realize Wooden isn't walking back through the door and the 70's are over. the NCAA field has dozens of programs that are Sweet 16 quality teams each year and programs like Butler and VCU are keeping coaches that used to run to big time programs deepening the field. time to wake up to reality. you can assume things but it makes an *** out of them.

kentubbybasketball
03-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I agree. At UCLA it's about how many Final Fours and National Titles the coach wins. Making the tournament and the Sweet 16 is assumed. That's how high the expectations are. So from that perspective, it makes sense Ben Howland was fired. Do I agree with it? No.

Which is insane, is it not? They only have two coaches to have won a title. Conversely, UK has five coaches with titles. To me, they might need to realize that outside of a concentrated era in the 60s and 70s nobody is winning titles there, besides Jim Harrick, and we all know he's among the dirtiest coaches in the history of the game. Sure, Larry Brown came close, but so did Howland in 2006.

kentubbybasketball
03-29-2013, 08:33 PM
they might want to realize Wooden isn't walking back through the door and the 70's are over. the NCAA field has dozens of programs that are Sweet 16 quality teams each year and programs like Butler and VCU are keeping coaches that used to run to big time programs deepening the field. time to wake up to reality. you can assume things but it makes an *** out of them.

For every Stevens, Smart, and Few that do stay there are six that do leave. So, while the trend isn't what it once was, I wouldn't go so far as to say somebody at a lower level with a resume wouldn't leave for the job.

GatorMan32
03-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I wasn't saying someone wouldn't go there. My point was about the idea that they can assume Sweet 16 and beyond is a thing of the past with the depth of quality teams and mentioned those guys staying put as a reason for the depth. Did not mean they won't or can't get a good coach.

steelyvan
03-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Harrick was ousted because of an expense report at UCLA. His activity at RI and uGA qualifies him as one of the dirtiest ever? My memory fails me. You think his programs rose to dirtiest ever?

kentubbybasketball
03-30-2013, 08:36 AM
When you leave every school under some kind of "dirt" yeah you're one of the dirtiest ever. Name me on one hand, five that are clearly dirtier?????

GatorMan32
03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
cant do that but Calhoun and Sampson are certainly of his ilk.

MKfromPA
04-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Which is insane, is it not? They only have two coaches to have won a title. Conversely, UK has five coaches with titles. To me, they might need to realize that outside of a concentrated era in the 60s and 70s nobody is winning titles there, besides Jim Harrick, and we all know he's among the dirtiest coaches in the history of the game. Sure, Larry Brown came close, but so did Howland in 2006.

I agree. IMO UCLA had a better chance of winning a Title with Howland than they do right now with a new coach. Howland knows the players, the system, how to win, etc. I think the move, in a sense, was a sign of impatience by UCLA's athletic director. He wants to have a very successful team every year. That is a feasible expectation, but it's hard to go to the Final Four every year... yet alone win a National Championship every season. Not even the very best programs (aside from UCLA) do that! I don't see UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc. go to the Final Four or even win the Natn'l Champ year after year... and when they do, those schools have to replace key players. Look at Kentucky. They won it all last year but had to replace nearly all starters. To expect a team to win it all under those circumstances is a little tall, IMO. Not saying it's impossible, but one has to consider that after a successful season, the chances are that several of a school's great players will leave for the NBA. Having to use incoming freshman and/or transfers as a means to win a championship is not ideal considering those players have never played a game for that coach/school.

So in sum, it's difficult to create a "dynasty" in college basketball in today's era, IMO. We haven't had a repeat champion since Florida. But even then after the first Title, the Gators had nearly all of their playmakers back. They didn't leave. Had Kentucky's players returned for this year, it's not out of the question they would have been in the NC discussion... and thus making it feasible for them to repeat, and live up to this crazy "expectation" on the head men's basketball coach at UCLA.

kentubbybasketball
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Howland did miss two NCAATs in the last four years. I think it's not necessarily a lack of patience given he had ten years there, but IMO, you look at Alford and he missed the NCAAT five times in 8 years at Iowa. That's my issue with it.

MKfromPA
04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Howland did miss two NCAATs in the last four years. I think it's not necessarily a lack of patience given he had ten years there, but IMO, you look at Alford and he missed the NCAAT five times in 8 years at Iowa. That's my issue with it.

Good point. But there is a difference in program quality and expectations between Iowa and UCLA. I can't remember the last stretch when Iowa was consistently contending in the Big Ten.

kentubbybasketball
04-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Okay but there's equally a difference in expectation between New Mexico and UCLA. Thus using his success there is equally a shot in the dark as me using the Iowa tenure.

MKfromPA
04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Okay but there's equally a difference in expectation between New Mexico and UCLA. Thus using his success there is equally a shot in the dark as me using the Iowa tenure.

I agree and I am with you that it does not make sense Howland got the axe at UCLA meanwhile the school turns around and hires Alford. Ridiculous.

kentubbybasketball
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Given the other realistic options (Romar, CMG) it is okay I guess. I would've waited for Marshall tho.

MKfromPA
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Given the other realistic options (Romar, CMG) it is okay I guess. I would've waited for Marshall tho.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Romar. He's generally been a decent coach for UW. He knows how to win in the PAC-10/12, has taken the Huskies to the NCAAs, and earned a #1 seed. I think he would be a nice fit for the Bruins. The man knows the league and how to play. Not sure why the Huskies haven't been at the top of the league in the last couple years... Maybe he needs a change of scenery.

GatorMan32
04-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Heck another day and they could have gone after Buzz at least.

steelyvan
04-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Alford is rumored to be hiring Ed Schilling as an assistant coach at UCLA. Shilling is very highly regarded within coaching circles. He has head coaching experience at the high school and college levels and was an assistant in the NBA. He coached with Coach Cal at Memphis.

MKfromPA
04-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Alford is rumored to be hiring Ed Schilling as an assistant coach at UCLA. Shilling is very highly regarded within coaching circles. He has head coaching experience at the high school and college levels and was an assistant in the NBA. He coached with Coach Cal at Memphis.

If this goes down, it will be a nice move by Alford. Never hurts to hire a guy with a combination of experience and a great reputation. IMO he'll need all the help he can get. I think he'll have some high expectations on his plate this fall. This is my opinion based on Howland's exit. Maybe I'm still a little bitter... lol

kentubbybasketball
04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Schilling got fired as a head coach after he left Cal's comfy confines. Schilling is a good guy though, who has really allowed his faith to influence his decisions. I like Schilling a lot. He was great for Cal. He was the youngest assistant in the NBA at one point I believe.

MKfromPA
04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
KT, what impact do you believe Howland's firing has on Shabazz Muhammad? Do you think he will stick around for Alford's first year or will he leave for the NBA?

kentubbybasketball
04-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, Howland said at the end of the season that Bazz was leaving, and I assume as a top 6 pick he is gone too. Alford's system isn't going to showcase Bazz anymore than he wants. Since Bazz changed his age to dominate younger guys, I can't imagine him wanting to come back next year and be in a crowded draft class next year.

MKfromPA
04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Well, Howland said at the end of the season that Bazz was leaving, and I assume as a top 6 pick he is gone too. Alford's system isn't going to showcase Bazz anymore than he wants. Since Bazz changed his age to dominate younger guys, I can't imagine him wanting to come back next year and be in a crowded draft class next year.

Yeah I can see that. Especially with all these other players going pro. I'm a little curious as to how Ben Howland is still unemployed!

kentubbybasketball
04-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Lack of quality jobs.

MKfromPA
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Lack of quality jobs.

I know it's not a premier position, but the New Mexico job is still vacant, right? Not suggesting Howland would end up there. Maybe a different coach, but the way that program has played recently, I see it as an attractive job.

GatorMan32
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
yeah IMO Howland is better off waiting a year and seeing what bigger jobs come open next year rather than taking a job just to take it now. he can afford to wait. probably even get a ESPN job for a year in the meantime.

kentubbybasketball
04-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah, a year away might allow him to go visit some coaches he respects like Tubby and Jamie Dixon to see how they do things, and maybe implement certain things when he gets another chance.