UCLA is falling apart....Howland is losing it? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : UCLA is falling apart....Howland is losing it?

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Now Josh Smith leaves the program. This just days after Tyler Lamb decided to transfer. They are down to 8 scholarship players and 4 of them are true freshmen.

GatorMan32
11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Howland has never been the same since D slapped him around repeatedly.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Ben Howland was on a pretty warm seat to begin the season. My trifecta of disappointing teams would be led by UCLA (with NC State and Memphis close behind). One way to make a warm seat even warmer is to lose games and lose players. This is not good. That SI expose last year was devastating and it's not looking better this year (and there's no Reeves Nelson to blame now). Also, when you couple it with the fact that people said the recruitment of Shabazz Muhammad was really dirty, the reputation of UCLA (pristine under Wooden) just has swallowed up every coach that has been there post Wooden (except for Larry Brown who doesn't stay anywhere long enough to be swallowed up).

MKfromPA
12-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I'll make a [B]bold[B] statement. Howland was DONE after he left Pittsburgh.

GatorMan32
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
i dont see that. he went to 3 final 4's at UCLA didn't he? i know at least 2 but pretty sure it was 3.

Angry Ant
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Those 4 freshmen have to love the Playing Time they are getting...

kentubbybasketball
12-07-2012, 07:03 AM
The thing about elite frosh (namely Muhammad and Anderson) is that you gotta make that first year count.

SkyAntoine
12-07-2012, 08:30 AM
The story from last year and Howland's lack of control seem like a logical root of the problem. If you're wanting to go to LA to live or play ball, then I think it says a little about your character...IMO.

MKfromPA
12-07-2012, 10:39 AM
i dont see that. he went to 3 final 4's at UCLA didn't he? i know at least 2 but pretty sure it was 3.

Yeah, I know. I made that statement to start controversy. :p

Howland has had success since he took over at UCLA. The extent of that success, at UCLA, is based on how many Final Four's and Championships he wins. I think he has met expectations, but not taken the program back to prominence. This is best observed in recent seasons when UCLA has not dominated the Pac-10/12. The team has also lost games to much lesser foes more frequently in the recent few seasons. That is not UCLA basketball.

kentubbybasketball
12-07-2012, 03:35 PM
GM32, when you think about it he has had those three straight final fours, but he's missed the NCAAT multiple times too. Steve Lavin was fired after he missed the tourney just once. Now, Lavin didn't haev any final fours but 5 Sweet 16s in seven years (including one Elite 8) isn't all that bad either.

GatorMan32
12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
i was just replying to Howland being done when he left Pitt

Dawgilicious
12-08-2012, 07:00 PM
He has also lost a lot of the fan base. Besides the re-opening of pauley, they havent had any fan support at their games and a telling sign was the game vs SDSU in Anaheim and it was 75/25 in favor of SDSU. they play their next 6 at home. It will be interesting to see how many fans show up

kentubbybasketball
12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Dawg, he had lost the fanbase in previous years IMO. The 2009 season was still pretty good even though it didn't result in a fourth straight final four. The next season where the bottom seemed to fall out was also a time where he was given a bit of a break. The next three years have cumulatively swayed some of those fans, but let's acknowledge UCLA is part of a pro sports town and always will be, no matter if UCLA wins 11 straight titles starting this year. IT is what it is.

MKfromPA
12-19-2012, 11:50 AM
i was just replying to Howland being done when he left Pitt

It was an intention outrageous statement. :towel: Of course Howland wasn't done once he left Pittsburgh. But right now I think he needed to redeem himself by making a NC run... or at least a trip to the Final Four.