ACC/Big Ten Challenge Thread [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : ACC/Big Ten Challenge Thread

kentubbybasketball
11-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Starts tonight! Some good basketball tonight. Obviously, I'm most excited about Minnesota @ Florida State.

GatorMan32
11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Tubby beat FSU :cheers: Atta boy Tubby!!!

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 12:02 PM
NC got drilled by Indiana

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Tubby beat FSU :cheers: Atta boy Tubby!!!

That's right. Atta boy Tubby!!!!!!!!! Watched the game. It was awesome!

GatorMan32
11-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Have always liked and respected Tubby. Its why when Miss Kitty would be nasty about Donovan I would not return fire on Smith. I think he is a complete class act. When he beats FSU, well that just adds to my like.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, obviously I agree, and that's why you and I have gotten along. Don't mess with Tubby. lol

Tubby is the kind of guy that anybody would want running their program. Pure class. But, honestly, you guys have a coach like that too. It's not like either is out there representing his school in a bad way, neither is out there with a reputation as a cheater, both win games, etc. It's no wonder that Tubby and D are two close coaching friends. I'm glad that both Tubby and Donovan coached at UK.

The thing that will make me always like D is the fact that before he won those national titles, he gave Tubby credit. HE said he needed to start recruiting more program type players like Tubby, because he wanted to compete at the level that Tubby had UK at. He knew that if he could do that he could compete nationally. It's one of the nicest things one coach can say about another. I'll always like Donovan, it is fun coming on here needling him for comments from time to time though.

GatorMan32
11-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Appreciate it bro and understand it comes with rivalries, the needling. Its part of the fun of sports that there is so much passion. If I was going to send a son to play college basketball, I'd want to know the coach would help him become the kind of man I could be proud of. Tubby would 100% be on that short list.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, a few guys I'd have on my list:

Tubby Smith
Billy Donovan
Tom Izzo
John Calipari
Rick Pitino
Anthony Grant
Cuonzo Martin
Lute Olson

I tried to pick guys that don't cuss that much, and Pitino, Izzo, and Cal are known for that. But, they still get results when it comes to their guys being productive citizens.

BasketballofUF
11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Did Miami really rush the court? lol

Congrats on the win, KT. Minnesota looks dangerous this season.

This Ohio State-Duke game should be fun.

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 09:43 PM
damn you wouldnt want your son to play for coach K....thats cool tho....Ha

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:46 PM
damn you wouldnt want your son to play for coach K....thats cool tho....Ha

No, I wouldn't want my son playing somebody that looks and acts like a rat.

Minnesota was dangerous last year. I mean they beat IU at Assembly Hall. The problem was we had three new backcourt players and lost a double double guy in Trevor Mbakwe. We were undefeated at that point. Tubby's had some bad luck up in Minnesota for sure (even the cancer diagnosis). I hope that's all behind us now.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:49 PM
One thing I will give Duke is they have played a tough schedule with Kentucky, Minnesota, Louisville, and now Ohio State. That's four top 20 teams right there and all have Sweet 16 potential.

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah injuries killed them, i dont what will happen this year because you can never predict those things. Depends if mbakwe can get back to his junior form.

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 09:50 PM
yeah they arent some of these teams that just play teams they will beat by 40 pts. he schedules for the NCAA tourney

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, injuries have already reared their ugly head, Dawg. Wally Ellenson, who is our second best athlete outside of Rodney Williams, is out right now. BTW, for the people that say "white man can't jump" go watch Wally Ellenson on youtube or something. Tubby has an athlete in that guy. He might end up redshirting this year.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
yeah they arent some of these teams that just play teams they will beat by 40 pts. he schedules for the NCAA tourney

Let's be fair. It's out in public that he refuses to play UK and like teams at Cameron, so let's not act like he's got a "Tom Izzo, I'll play anybody anywhere" motto for scheduling. His home schedules are just as weak as Cal's, who caught flak this offseason.

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Well I wasnt taking a shot at Cal, that wasnt who i was referring to. he has played gonzaga, st johns, gtown, butler away from home too

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Again, I said Kentucky and the like. I love Georgetown, but Kentucky they are not. Coach K wouldn't schedule us in a home and home under Pitino or Tubby. He said he wanted us to come to Cameron and then "our home game" would be in Charlotte or Atlanta... yeah right. Again, yet Cal gets flak for the way the Indiana situation was handled. K is no saint.

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm impressed with Ohio State so far being up 6 with two free throws on the way. Thad Matta is probably the best coach in the country without a title (I'd throw Stevens, Smart, Howland, and Barnes in there too).

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Well each coach has a different way of doing stuff. boeheim never leaves NY for a non conference game, so everybody does what they see is the best for their school. I just know Coach K schedules for styles he would see in march and play in venues they might see in March. To him it is more about the marathon than the sprint. I get that same feeling from Cal too, but idk. Im not going to comment on the IU thing cause i don't know all of the facts about that. All i know is it is a travesty that those 2 schools can't play. i used to love to see them play each other at the old Hoosier Dome in indy

Dawgilicious
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
FWIW, Larry Brown has SMU at 7-1 after tonights win

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Nobody should be surprised. Larry Brown just might have the most respected coaching staff in the entire country with Jankovich, Howard (a guy we've always wanted to be an assistant), and the Maglili (sp?) guy from Houston. Besides, Larry Brown is responsible for what might be the two best coaches in the country in Calipari and Self. What he's done there is no shock and the incoming class for next year has two really good players. It's only going to get better.

Storm
11-29-2012, 01:05 AM
how can you have this thread and not talk about the #4 team in the nation? 6-0 baby!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSn4L4D-dgE&feature=g-all

GatorMan32
11-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Again, I said Kentucky and the like. I love Georgetown, but Kentucky they are not. Coach K wouldn't schedule us in a home and home under Pitino or Tubby. He said he wanted us to come to Cameron and then "our home game" would be in Charlotte or Atlanta... yeah right. Again, yet Cal gets flak for the way the Indiana situation was handled. K is no saint.Florida went to Cameron first in a home and home and Duke has never come to the O Dome. K is a POS.

scgamecock312
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Florida went to Cameron first in a home and home and Duke has never come to the O Dome. K is a POS.

You are just now figuring that out about coach K? I cant stand Duke and I cant stand UNC

GatorMan32
11-29-2012, 10:24 AM
known it for years. just adding to KT's point.

Storm
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I enjoyed watching them beat osu last night. Although, I did wake up with a sour taste in my mouth because of it.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Florida went to Cameron first in a home and home and Duke has never come to the O Dome. K is a POS.

My point exactly. K isn't even called out on it on a mainstream level either. That's ridiculous.