Rick Majerus takes health related LOA for 2012-13 season [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Rick Majerus takes health related LOA for 2012-13 season

MizzouRob
08-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Huge blow to SLU's hopes to return to the tournament. Jim Crews will act as HC for the upcoming season, not a good situation, and I'm sure nobody is really surprised by this. I'm not sure if he'll be back to SLU (as this is the final year of his contract), but hopefully he takes whatever steps he needs to get himself in better shape/health

story is here: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/majerus-takes-medical-leave-at-slu-won-t-coach-in/article_70e09f5c-ee36-11e1-a8f7-0019bb30f31a.html

Dawgilicious
08-24-2012, 09:58 PM
Some SLU fans are calling him a liar for taking this leave....Talk about some classless losers, lest they forget that if it wasnt for Majerus they wouldnt have the program they do right now

scgamecock312
08-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Huge blow to SLU's hopes to return to the tournament. Jim Crews will act as HC for the upcoming season, not a good situation, and I'm sure nobody is really surprised by this. I'm not sure if he'll be back to SLU (as this is the final year of his contract), but hopefully he takes whatever steps he needs to get himself in better shape/health

story is here: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/majerus-takes-medical-leave-at-slu-won-t-coach-in/article_70e09f5c-ee36-11e1-a8f7-0019bb30f31a.html

He needs to lose some weight. That might be a start.

XPS
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Yep he is to blame for some of his health problems- one of the best coaches in the game...

Subrookie
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM

It's a toss up who gets kicked out of an all you can eat buffet first, him or Mark Mangino. I thought Majerus had lap band surgery or something to slim it down some?

You have to wonder what Jim Crews has to think about all this, the interim coach, he was head coach at Army before taking this job. Maybe he could make Majerus run a few laps Army style.

scgamecock312
08-24-2012, 10:56 PM
It's a toss up who gets kicked out of an all you can eat buffet first, him or Mark Mangino. I thought Majerus had lap band surgery or something to slim it down some?

I have no idea. I just know he is severely overweight and that can't help.

MizzouRob
08-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Some SLU fans are calling him a liar for taking this leave....Talk about some classless losers, lest they forget that if it wasnt for Majerus they wouldnt have the program they do right now

Where did you see that at? All of the comments I've seen were very supportive and wishing him good luck and improved health.

scgamecock312
08-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Where did you see that at? All of the comments I've seen were very supportive and wishing him good luck and improved health.

I haven't seen anything like that either.

boxvic
08-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Didn't Crews coach at the University of Evansville at some point? It seems like I remember his name on local news casts.

As for Majerus, he's like 65 on top of being overweight. He's at the age most people start considering retirement anyway. Honestly I'm surprised he hasn't left the game already.

MizzouRob
08-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Crews was the head coach at Evansville in the 90's, and as sub mentioned above also at Army, at least it's someone with HC experience taking over. Hopefully Rick can drop weight and get his heart health in line and return.

Dawgilicious
08-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I was on another website and some guys tweeted some of their responses....Not very classy, but i hope he gets better

scgamecock312
08-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I was on another website and some guys tweeted some of their responses....Not very classy, but i hope he gets better

If that is true, lets see them.

kentubbybasketball
08-25-2012, 08:48 PM
What's odd about the interim situation is Crews wasn't even the associate head coach, yet he's now the interim head coach. Crews is definitely coaching the A-10 faves this year.

I hope Majerus gives his health the attention it deserves and comes back next year to continue what he's great at. He's one of the best coaches in the Midwest and the best in his state. (Some sites are reporting he's stepping down, which implies for good).

Subrookie
08-25-2012, 11:06 PM
What's odd about the interim situation is Crews wasn't even the associate head coach, yet he's now the interim head coach. Crews is definitely coaching the A-10 faves this year.

I hope Majerus gives his health the attention it deserves and comes back next year to continue what he's great at. He's one of the best coaches in the Midwest and the best in his state. (Some sites are reporting he's stepping down, which implies for good).

He had a good year last year, but his overall record at SLU doesn't warrant calling him the best coach in the state.

kentubbybasketball
08-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Yeah, but plenty of Sweet 16s (four) at Utah and a title gsame loss in 1998 does. I'm not sure how that's debateable. Haith is the one that had a good year last year but a subpar overall record.

MizzouRob
08-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Subtle digs on a thread about something completely unrelated to Mizzou hoops. You are a completely different type of troll than some of the others on this site. Congrats on at least offering a different style.

Subrookie
08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Subtle digs on a thread about something completely unrelated to Mizzou hoops. You are a completely different type of troll than some of the others on this site. Congrats on at least offering a different style.

Yeah I think with that one post I found a troll I can completely ignore in a college basketball discussion. It really wasn't a subtle dig either.

kentubbybasketball
08-26-2012, 01:17 PM
That's what the ignore feature is for. I utilize it too.

As for the actual comment about him being the best coach in Missouri: I didn't realize making such a comment (tongue in cheek really) would make people feel so insignificant. Take a joke. Life and message boards in general are more enjoyable that way. It's called poking fun just so things don't have to be so serious. Not to be rude (again I guess), but it wouldn't bother you so much if what I said wasn't true, would it?

georgiaguy31015
08-26-2012, 01:57 PM
I know losing weight is tough but this is the second time he's had to do something like this that I can remember he better heed the warnings before it's too late.

kentubbybasketball
08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
That's true and especially at the age of 65.

kentubbybasketball
08-27-2012, 04:43 AM
MR, if you think negative rep will pacify me you're aloof. That's how a child acts when their feelings are hurt.