Best state for college basketball? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Best state for college basketball?

boxvic
03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
What state do you think is the best state for college basketball? For me, and its a homer vote, but I've gotta go with Kentucky. At least for this year anyway, because the last few years have lead up to this crescendo.

Kentucky is Kentucky. Louisville is Louisville. But within the last 5 years WKU has won multiple tournament games two years in a row, Murray won a game, and Morehead won a game. This year UK, Murray, UL, and WKU are all in the tournament. All four have a decent chance at winning at least one game. UK is a favorite to win the whole thing. Louisville will be expected to win multiple games; but Murray is entering the tournament not as an "also ran" but with the real expectation of winning multiple games. WKU will be poo-poo'd because of their record but they have the talent, and now the coaching, to pull an upset or two.

There is a real chance, not saying it will happen, but a chance that four of the Sweet Sixteen spots could be taken up by teams from the state of Kentucky.

WVUfaninKY3
03-06-2012, 10:18 PM
There's only 3 states that really care about basketball period, that's Kentucky, Indiana, North Carolina

WVUfaninKY3
03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Also, don't forget about Bellarmine winning D2 last year, Kentucky Wesleyan being ranked #1 in D2 the majority of this year. Pikeville winning the NAIA NC last year.

GR8NESS
03-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Also, don't forget about Bellarmine winning D2 last year, Kentucky Wesleyan being ranked #1 in D2 the majority of this year. Pikeville winning the NAIA NC last year.

NKU also beat West Virginia earlier this year in an exhibition game and is jumping to D1.

WVUfaninKY3
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
NKU also beat West Virginia earlier this year in an exhibition game and is jumping to D1. Which is a HUGE mistake that they will soon realize.

RollTide86
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Most years its Carolina this year its Kentucky

GR8NESS
03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Most years its Carolina this year its Kentucky

Fair enough. I don't think you can really argue NC as a state, purely because they have NC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State always at a high level. Then they have WCU, Davidson, UNC-Asheville and UNC-Wilmington always as threads for midmajors. I think Ky. as a state may be better "per capita" so to speak.

WVUfaninKY3
03-06-2012, 10:27 PM
It's been Kentucky the past couple years with the depth in all levels of College Basketball

GR8NESS
03-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Let me add that KY is the best STATE for basketball purely, imo. We have the only non-classed state tournament left out there in any state.

Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Sixteen_%28KHSAA_State_Basketball_Championsh ip%29#2012_PNC_Bank_KHSAA_Boys_Sweet_Sixteen

boxvic
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Wesleyan really hit a snag in January though and they never really recovered. They are on their way back to being a D-2 power, but not quite there yet.

Which is a HUGE mistake that they will soon realize.

I don't think so. They have one of the nicest basketball facilities in the state of Kentucky, they have as much money as any major program school, and they are in a large metro area. When the OVC started looking at expanding they chose SIU-Edwardsville; I was part of a large majority who wanted NKU instead.

WVUfaninKY3
03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Northern still needs a major upgrade on many of their athletic facilities. They are making the move too soon.

boxvic
03-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't think NKU cares about anything at this point except basketball. They don't care about their other sport facilities, because really... who does. Football and basketball are the only ones that matter, and NKU is poised to make their name in basketball.

WVUfaninKY3
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't think NKU cares about anything at this point except basketball. They don't care about their other sport facilities, because really... who does. Football and basketball are the only ones that matter, and NKU is poised to make their name in basketball.

NKU is poised to fall flat on their face in Basketball. A nice arena doesn't mean you're going to win.

kentubbybasketball
03-07-2012, 04:32 AM
What a Sun Belt run by WKU. That's four of a possible for NCAA bids. We've got three OVC schools, and obviously Murray has their bid.

I'd also say California and Texas should be considered most years due to sheer number of schools: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, SDSU, LBSU; Texas, TAMU, TTU, Baylor, UTSA. Those states have depth. Down year for both.