Bruce Weber fired?? Vote [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Weber fired?? Vote

IllinoisDawg63
02-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Will Weber be canned the same as Zook in the same school year? Illini just lost another conference game to Indiana 84-71, thus putting them currently under .500 in conference play. I'm sure the seat is getting very warm.

MizzouRob
02-13-2012, 08:56 PM
If I recall, he went to the Final 4 with Self's players, beyond that, they have significantly underachieved. Since we play them every year, I hope he stays, but I bet the plug gets pulled.

There is no reason not to be top tier in the B1G when your program should have the greatest draw in Chicagoland.

kentubbybasketball
02-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Weber came within six pts of a title in 2005. But the next year with Dee Brown and James Augustine back, they were still a 20 win second round team. Weber is one game under .500 since that 2006 season. The NCAAT is far from a lock, and if they fail to make it again, he could be out.

The death of a coaching era is usually preceeded by an AD change, and Illinois did just change ADs.

Alumnus
02-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Please don't fire him. We like him.

Urb Gruber
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't want to see Weber fired either. I enjoy seeing his team constantly underachieve.

MizzouRob
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
A blowout loss @ a pretty bad Nebraska team might have sealed Weber's fate, barring some sort of a miracle run in the B1G tourney. Looked like the team quit on him this afternoon.

kentubbybasketball
02-19-2012, 04:31 AM
Given his comments after Wednesday's game, I wouldn't be shocked if he's already in talks with another AD. In a perfect world, he'd leave without having to be fired I suppose. It's tough either way.

rolling baby
02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Illinois needs to throw the bank at the Butler guy.

IllinoisDawg63
02-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Illinois needs to throw the bank at the Butler guy.him or Thad Matta(who grew up at Hoopeston, IL) Ohio St coach.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Is that a lateral move for Thad Matta though?

IllinoisDawg63
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Is that a lateral move for Thad Matta though?I think he could do well to build up and recruit the Chicago area strong, and pull some Indiana boys from Purdue, Indiana etc.

rolling baby
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
No way Matta makes that move. Heck, I was reaching on Butler dude (I think he's Coach K's successor).

IllinoisDawg63
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
No way Matta makes that move. Heck, I was reaching on Butler dude (I think he's Coach K's successor).All depends if Matta cares to build a program, or stay in Ohio(where his roots aren't). No doubt Matta has done well in the Buckeye state at Xavier and tOSU. If Illinois doesn't at least talk to him, they are f'ing morons.

rolling baby
02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
My guess is they might give Steve Alford a look or someone like Shaka Smart.

GoDores
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Wonder if Stallings would be interested in Illinois? He's a Purdue guy and the Ohio State job interested him a few years back. I would bet Illinois at least has him on their list of candidates. Stallings was at Illinois State before Vandy. Bruce Weber has no chance. It wouldn't surprise me if they fire him before the season's over.

GR8NESS
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Figures. I vote no and the dude goes on like a 5 game losing streak.

He's toast.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
A few things. Brad Stevens IMO should only leave for one of two jobs: Duke or Indiana.

I'm not sure Illinois is really in Thad Matta's zone. People just don't tend to move for a job in the same conference that is performing lower than his actual program is, especially when his current program competes for titles.

If I'm Illinois I wouldn't want any part of Kevin Stallings. I don't think he's taken Vandy to the next level, and that is the wrap on Bruce Weber. Plus, both are from the Gene Keady tree, which I'm sure they'd want to distance themselves from.

I've heard Shaka Smart (and I think that's a good guy to swing at, even if they miss). Greg Marshall is going to be on everybody's list.

rolling baby
02-20-2012, 03:05 PM
A few things. Brad Stevens IMO should only leave for one of two jobs: Duke or Indiana.

I'm not sure Illinois is really in Thad Matta's zone. People just don't tend to move for a job in the same conference that is performing lower than his actual program is, especially when his current program competes for titles.

If I'm Illinois I wouldn't want any part of Kevin Stallings. I don't think he's taken Vandy to the next level, and that is the wrap on Bruce Weber. Plus, both are from the Gene Keady tree, which I'm sure they'd want to distance themselves from.

I've heard Shaka Smart (and I think that's a good guy to swing at, even if they miss). Greg Marshall is going to be on everybody's list.

Stevens should leave for these schools as well: UCLA, Texas, Kentucky---basically those that will pay the $$$ and have great recruiting status. Stevens strikes me as a "Duke" person, though. Indiana already has a hc (I'm not a huge fan of but he'll do well).

Forgot about Marshall, good one.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2012, 03:24 PM
He shouldn't come to UK. I love him and would love him, but his style and personality are similar to Tubby! I'd take that in a heartbeat, but some UK (most) wouldn't like the transition from Cal to that, like Pitino --> Tubby.

rolling baby
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
True, UK fans love a certain template for HC.

SkyAntoine
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
He shouldn't come to UK. I love him and would love him, but his style and personality are similar to Tubby! I'd take that in a heartbeat, but some UK (most) wouldn't like the transition from Cal to that, like Pitino --> Tubby.
Yeah, we do much better with jerk, Italian coaches. Billy Clyde's problem was that he was not Italian.

rolling baby
02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Waaaaaa?!

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Sad but true. I can't even think about who our next coach should be. Part of it depends on how long Cal is.

kentubbybasketball
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Maybe (and I'm serious here), your guy would be a good Cal replacement: Geno Auriemma.

IllinoisDawg63
02-20-2012, 09:24 PM
This is the remainder of Illini schedule:
2/26 Iowa, 2/28 Michigan, 3/4 @ Wiscy. Tonight they are @tOSU.

MizzouRob
02-20-2012, 09:33 PM
at best 1-3, likely 0-4

BasketballofUF
02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd like to change my vote. :p

kentubbybasketball
02-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Kick a man while he's down lol jk

deterp
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't know if UIUC will "fire" (as the poll question says) Bruce, but I do think he will be "encouraged to move on".

From today's Tribune, following the Iowa win:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0228-illini-hoop--bits--20120228,0,7365235.story

deterp
03-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Looks like he's gone.

Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas has announced an 11 a.m. news conference, where he will likely announce the firing of men's basketball coach Bruce Weber.

The Illini's season came to an end with a 64-61 first-round loss to Iowa in the Big Ten tournament on Thursday afternoon. Weber has gone 210-101 at Illinois but the Illini will miss the NCAA tournament for the third time in four seasons this year.

Thomas fired football coach Ron Zook and women's basketball coach Jolette Law at the conclusion of each of their seasons this season.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-illinois-athletic-director-announces-basketball-news-conference-20120309,0,2009417.story

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
I hate this for Bruce Weber. It would be nice if he came back to my area to SIU, 45 minutes away, and tooks over up there again.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2012, 10:48 AM
BTW, that AD has come in and cleaned house. He better hope the coaches he hires win.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Bruce Weber has just confirmed his own firing.

GoDores
03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Illinois' AD worked with Shaka Smart at Akron. :sad2: My favorite coach in NCAA basketball.....about to be taken.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I've also heard Brad Stevens is in play, too. I'm not sure I'd leave VCU or Butler for Illinois. The women's basketball (Jolette Law), football, and men's basketball coaches have been canned in 3 months.

I respect Shaka Smart but he has never comfortably coached a team into at large status in three years at VCU. That sounds somewhat like Bruce Weber after 2006.

deterp
03-09-2012, 11:34 AM
BTW, that AD has come in and cleaned house. He better hope the coaches he hires win.

I think that was his mandate, ken. The era of Guenther is over.
Plus the "Peoria Pipeline" dried up a long time ago.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Sure, that probably was the mandate, and it seemed liek Guenther was just ready to be done anyway, with his retirement and all. Illinois is clearly the best job open right now, and will be the best job that opens unless UCLA (Ben Howland has got to be on thin ice with his recent record the past three years and the SI report that came out) or Kentucky (Cal to NBA rumors are out there) open up.

I just think coaches will not look to nicely on the rash of firings of late with the big three sports all getting new coaches due to the previous coach being fired, although none of the three firings were unreasonable.

GoDores
03-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I've also heard Brad Stevens is in play, too. I'm not sure I'd leave VCU or Butler for Illinois. The women's basketball (Jolette Law), football, and men's basketball coaches have been canned in 3 months.

I respect Shaka Smart but he has never comfortably coached a team into at large status in three years at VCU. That sounds somewhat like Bruce Weber after 2006.

How many mid majors ever have a comfortable at large status? In his first year, he took them to a CBI championship. Second year he got them an at large birth and then took them to the final four. Then in his third year he won the conference for the auto birth with a TBD tournament performance. He's young, energetic, plays an aggressive style that's easy to like.... but on second thought after that last sentence....why would he want to take that to the Big Ten? I don't think they allow that there.

I thought it would be hard for Shaka to improve his stock after the final four last year, but winning that conference after all he lost off last year's team is impressive. The CAA is solid.

rolling baby
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Shaka is the next Anthony Grant, no question about it.

UCONN job is another to consider, no way Calhoun lasts much longer. Ditto Syracuse.

kentubbybasketball
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
The CAA is solid, bit it's not the Big Ten. I wonder how much he can sustain this. Bruce Weber was great on the mid major level, too. Three years isn't enough for me. Illinois clearly has high expectations, and I'd hate for Shaka to be swallowed up by a job like that. If something ever happens with Thad Matta at OSU, that's the Midwest job I'd keep an eye on for him. He went to college in Ohio.

rolling baby
03-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Matta is a god at OSU and he's only in his mid-40 (even though he looks 60).

georgiaguy31015
03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Well they wasted no time in firing him today. It will be interesting to see who Illinois gets.

kentubbybasketball
03-10-2012, 06:14 AM
I know Matta is good, but who knows when or if he'll leave for something else?

Bamadan
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
My NBC affiliate mentioned Anthony Grant as a candidate for the U of I job. I said oh heeeeeeeeeeeeeelll no!!! No way Coach Grant goes to Illinois.

rolling baby
03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
The guy that said Anthony Grant to Bama 2 years before it happened is now saying Shaka Smart to Illinois. Relax, dan.