Murray State [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Murray State

boxvic
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
I held off making a thread hoping someone else from Kentucky would show some love, but alas nothing. Its been a few years since I've been back to Murray, but I still had some of the best times of my life down there. I actually tried to get tickets to this last game, but they are sold out through the end of the season. I wish this could have happened when I was still there... a sold out RSEC (CFSB Center) would have been awesome. Closest we got when I was there was a game against WKU my freshman (technically sophomore) year.

Four of ESPN's top 30 modern basketball schools are in Kentucky, and Murray has always drawn the short end of the stick for attention out of the 4. Even WKU in down years has typically drawn more national attention. It's damned nice to see Murray finally getting the love it deserves.

GR8NESS
01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Super pumped for their game against St. Mary's. That's game of the week material there. If basketball gameday chose sites after the fact like football, that would be a gameday game.

boxvic
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
That has been the talk on a Murray forum. It will be one of the only games that weekend between ranked teams.

Hopefully we finish out undefeated and get a deserving seed in the tourney this year.

BasketballofUF
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM
That game against St Mary's will be huge. I'm not ready to anoint Murray State yet, but if they win that game, then they're a real national contender. St Mary's is really good this year as well.

boxvic
01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't know that I'm willing to say we are national contenders after beating St. Mary's... but 90% of this team is the same team that beat Vandy and nearly beat runner up Butler in the 2010 tournament. There are those who say this team isn't actually as good... but its almost the exact same team except this time we have a coach who opens up the offense while still maintaining a focus on stifling defense. In the end how you finish in March is always the determining factor... but I would say this team right now is better than the 2010 team; if for no other reason than the schedule being the same if not slightly better and Murray being undefeated with similar defensive numbers and much better offensive numbers.

GoDores
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
I must admit, usually I don't get into these bracketbuster games that much, but that St. Mary's- Murray game could be good. I'll watch that one.

BasketballofUF
01-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I'll also watch Nevada-Iona because Iona is such a fun team to watch. They can go extremely cold and don't play very good defense, but they're very fun to watch.

kentubbybasketball
02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I didn't realize this thread had been started about my alma mater. This side of the state has been crazy about Murray for years, especially. Being 45 minutes from Murray Mania has been fun.

And, to do this with Ivan Aska missing some games is huge. Isaiah Canaan has been a star for three years now. Donte Poole helps out on the perimeter. Ed Daniel is a servicable big, but this is where a big conference team will take advantage of them.

UK'sRash
02-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Murray absolutely crapped their pants in that game. So did TSU. Each team tried to give the game away to the other.

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Yeah I know. The ladt few weeks it seems like we've been down in every game this was no different. At least now the pressure of the streak and the unusual attention will go away, with all the interviews and such.

Kudos to TSU, they're coached by an SEC guy in John Cooper (a Lebo assistant from Auburn).

kentubbybasketball
02-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Murray will have a precipitous drop in the next poll I'm sure.

boxvic
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
A lose to St. Marys might have been recoverable... but losing to TSU... I mean freaking TSU... this is going to hurt. We will be lucky to stick around in the top 25 now, and any hope of better than an 8/9 seed is pretty much gone.

boxvic
02-18-2012, 07:48 PM
After such an embarrassing loss, things seem to be getting back on track. St. Marys is still hanging around in the Bracket Buster game, but Murray has solidly been in control since the tip.

boxvic
02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Finished out strong looking like the Murray team from early in the year.

kentubbybasketball
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Definitely fortunate with St. Mary's health issues.

Canaan is a big deal, but I'm lookinf forward to seeing Zay Jackson more.