Xavier-Cincinnati Brawl [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Xavier-Cincinnati Brawl

BasketballofUF
12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313442752

The brawl at the end of this game was the most serious altercation I've seen in college basketball in quite some time. Wells from Xavier and Gates from Cincinnati will probably be looking at long suspensions.

georgiaguy31015
12-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Damn, that's hardcore.

UK'sRash
12-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Mick Cronin (http://www.gobearcats.com/allaccess/?media=273285) kills it in his press conference. Couldn't have handled it better. He starts talking about it at around 3:30 in the video.

Urb Gruber
12-10-2011, 06:21 PM
The Xavier players did absolutely nothing to help their cause with that post game presser.

Absolute fk'n fail by them.

SkyAntoine
12-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Gangstas...nice defense.

BasketballofUF
12-10-2011, 07:10 PM
While Xavier didn't do anything to help themselves, at least they didn't throw any punches or stomp on someone's head.

lbzdually
12-10-2011, 07:24 PM
#34 should be in jail for what he did. He blindsided the white guy from Xavier while all the guy was doing was try to keep the people separated and trying to keep the fight in check.

BasketballofUF
12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
#13 was even worse. He stamped on Frease's head, and gave him a huge, bloody face. He should be out for the year. Cincinnati was more to blame on the court than Xavier, but Holloway's words after the game definitely didn't help his cause. Cronin actually gets it; Holloway didn't seem to.

georgiaguy31015
12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I just saw the presser on SportsCenter and the Xavier players are idiots. That was terrible. At least the Cincy coach gets it.

GoDores
12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
excellent response from uc coach cronin. That was good to hear in the press conf. There are several players on uc that should never play again. Tu should get multiple games too, he's a punk.
Terrible press conf by him and lyons. Stupid.

Djshockley3
12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Cincy thugs....hopefully some of them never play again.

kentubbybasketball
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
That was ridiculous. Things like this don't just happen after 39:51 minutes:seconds of a game without their being sparks already. Clearly, Cincy's Sean Kilpatrick was running his mouth before the game and you'd have to imagine he was doing it with the rest of his team during the game. I think the refs are somewhat responsible for not controlling it better, although I didn't see the game.

BasketballofUF
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
These would be the suspensions I'd like to see:

Gates dismissed.
Mbodj dismissed.
Wells suspended for 10 games.
Holloway suspended for 5 games.

These probably won't happen, but they should.

kentubbybasketball
12-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Cronin said his press conference that he must decide who is dismissed. Doesn't sound good for Gates. I'm not sure Mbodj should be dismissed, although you never quick someone, he needs a serious supension. Sad thing is Modj is a JUCO transfer and Gates is a senior, so this isn't either's first rodeo. You'd expect these kinds of things from lesser teams.

But, the temperment of a veteran team should be above this. And, Mark Lyons' explanation (blaming the media for this) is ridicouls. Cincy has a rep for being thuggish as someone implied earlier, but Xavier doesn't. They are the class private school. They are above that kind of behavior and the sad thing is lost in all this is Xavier is a top 10 undefeated team that has Final Four ability this year.

WVUfaninKY3
12-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd add Lyons to that list with at least a 10 game suspension, he was throwing a punch at a UC player being held back by a UC coach.

BasketballofUF
12-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure Mbodj should be dismissed, although you never quick someone, he needs a serious supension. He stamped on Frease's head when he was down. Imo, what he did was worse than what Gates did.

I didn't see Lyons try to punch someone, but if he did, then he should get a serious suspension as well.

kentubbybasketball
12-10-2011, 08:43 PM
He stamped on Frease's head when he was down. Imo, what he did was worse than what Gates did.

I didn't see Lyons try to punch someone, but if he did, then he should get a serious suspension as well.

I''m not trying to argue what's more egregious than another. The entire thing was a black mark. I just think both intended harm.

GoDores
12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Don't discount Tu and Lyons running their mouths too to help escalate this. Don't assume Xavier is all class because they are a private school. Tu and Lyons did a lot of talking/taunting in their trip to Nashville. And let's not discount Frease's F* You to the crowd as he was on his way to the bench after committing a hard foul and the crowd booing him heavily also at Vandy.

Bacon
12-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Does Louisville get their thugs from Cincinnati, or does Cincinnati get their thugs from Louisville?

BasketballofUF
12-11-2011, 11:12 PM
The suspension are in... They're underwhelming to say the least.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7341744/cincinnati-bearcats-suspend-four-players-brawl-xavier-musketeers

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41737/cincy-xaviers-brawl-suspensions-fall-short

Festus Ezeli and Yancy Gates get suspended for the same amount of games... Smh.

Urb Gruber
12-11-2011, 11:21 PM
The suspension are in... They're underwhelming to say the least.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7341744/cincinnati-bearcats-suspend-four-players-brawl-xavier-musketeers

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/41737/cincy-xaviers-brawl-suspensions-fall-short

But tough talk only goes so far. A day later, Cronin and the Bearcats -- alongside their counterparts in crime, coach Chris Mack and the Musketeers -- have proven that at the end of the day few things are more important than basketball games. Especially when conference play is involved.

This pretty much sums it up. Total failure by the schools, coaches, players, and conferences to take a stand. I look forward to rooting against both teams, but especially Cincinnati and Mick Cronin. All that posturing for nothing.

kentubbybasketball
12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Don't discount Tu and Lyons running their mouths too to help escalate this. Don't assume Xavier is all class because they are a private school. Tu and Lyons did a lot of talking/taunting in their trip to Nashville. And let's not discount Frease's F* You to the crowd as he was on his way to the bench after committing a hard foul and the crowd booing him heavily also at Vandy.
I assume you're referring to me since I said the private school thing. Two things, I also said the players were all running their mouths before the game and probably during the game, so I'm not assuming private school means class, which gets to the second point, I know how potty-mouthed those associated with private schools can be. Your own coach, Kevin Stallings', foul language is notorious afterall.

kentubbybasketball
12-11-2011, 11:53 PM
This pretty much sums it up. Total failure by the schools, coaches, players, and conferences to take a stand. I look forward to rooting against both teams, but especially Cincinnati and Mick Cronin. All that posturing for nothing.

I didn't really expect much to come of this. This is what I've come to expect out of these situations. I'd even think UK would be similar if it was us. Most schools would do the same.

Wave&Dawgs
12-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I didn't really expect much to come of this. This is what I've come to expect out of these situations. I'd even think UK would be similar if it was us. Most schools would do the same.

Coming from someone who bashed Stansbury for keeping Sidney on the team after the Hawaii incident. Gotta love the hypocrisy. :rotf:

Urb Gruber
12-12-2011, 12:07 AM

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/11907/12192825.jpg

georgiaguy31015
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Yea the suspensions were disappointing to say the least. Especially after the Cincy coach talked all that big talk after the game.

GoDores
12-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I assume you're referring to me since I said the private school thing. Two things, I also said the players were all running their mouths before the game and probably during the game, so I'm not assuming private school means class, which gets to the second point, I know how potty-mouthed those associated with private schools can be. Your own coach, Kevin Stallings', foul language is notorious afterall.

My only point about the public/private thing is that it really has nothing to do with any of this. I understand what you meant by the general stereotypes each school may have but I don't think that applies.

Six games is a joke. I guarantee you Yancy Gates thinks that was worth a 6 game suspension.

Fatboy
12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Charges could be filed in the incident.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-cincinnati-xavierbrawl-aftermath

Ohio prosecutor mulls charges for in-game fight

By DAN SEWELL, Associated Press Dec 12, 3:33 pm EST

CINCINNATI (AP)—An Ohio prosecutor said Monday he will consider criminal charges in the aftermath of a players brawl at the end of the Cincinnati-Xavier basketball game, as stunned fans and school officials pondered the tarnishing blow delivered to one of the city’s most eagerly anticipated annual events.

Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters said in a statement that his office would determine whether any criminal charges were appropriate. He declined further comment.

Deters, a University of Cincinnati alumnus, didn’t specify what charges would be considered, but possible charges could include assault and battery or disorderly conduct. A spokeswoman said he hadn’t set a timetable for a decision
AdChoices

“Anything we’re asked to do, we will comply with,” UC coach Mick Cronin said Monday. “Whatever they feel they need to do, we understand.”

A Xavier spokeswoman said it would be premature to comment on Deters’ investigation.

Cincinnati’s Yancy Gates received the longest suspension, six games. Gates punched Xavier’s Kenny Frease, causing a gash that left him bleeding below his left eye, and hit at least one other Xavier player during the fracas.

Frease also was kicked as the two teams converged on each other. X-rays of Frease after the game were normal.

Xavier guard Tu Holloway, who acknowledged making comments directed at UC’s team right before the brawl, caused a stir by later describing his team’s toughness as “a whole bunch of gangsters.” Holloway, suspended for one game, said Sunday he regretted using the term “gangsters.”

Criminal prosecutions from player confrontations during sports events are rare. A handful of National Hockey League players have been charged with assault over the years. Detroit Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assault after he, while playing for Vancouver in 2004, sucker-punched Colorado center Steve Moore on the ice. No one was charged after a 2010 baseball brawl in Cincinnati in which St. Louis Cardinals catcher Jason LaRue suffered a concussion after being kicked in the head by Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto.

Officials and coaches for both universities have offered apologies and expressed embarrassment. Each team also suspended four players.

Xavier, ranked No. 8, won the game on its home court, 76-53, but the focus after the “Crosstown Shootout” was on the brawl, which was televised live on ESPN and has been reshown a myriad of times on TV and online.

Gates, a native of Cincinnati, lamented that some people around the country are getting their introduction to the Bearcats through the brawl video.

“That’s embarrassing,” Gates said in a Monday news conference in which he apologized and became tearful. “It’s just a bad situation.”

“It’s literally and figuratively a black eye,” said Raymond Buse, a veteran publicist here. “I was in disbelief that this was happening in Cincinnati. Typically, this is great spirited, one of the greatest rivalries in college basketball.

“Now the national public just sees our 15 seconds of infamy.”

UC’s basketball program had past image issues with off-court incidents involving players and the 2004 drunken-driving arrest of coach Bob Huggins that culminated in Huggins’ ouster. Xavier has largely avoided negative publicity while building its basketball program into a national power.

“We are not the only ones something like this has happened to, but it was definitely a new experience for Xavier,” said Paul Ruppe, a 1992 Xavier graduate who gathered with some 60 other alumni in Chicago to watch the game on TV. “For the image we try to maintain and uphold, it was disappointing, let’s put it that way.”

He is not alone.

“It doesn’t make Xavier look very good, and it doesn’t make UC look very good. It’s kind of ridiculous, honestly,” said Brandon Henson, a Bearcat fan. “I guess Xavier fans used to say UC recruits these kinds of players; guess what, Xavier does, too.”

UC president Gregory Williams said in a statement: “We hold our student-athletes to a high standard and this behavior will not be tolerated.”

Xavier said that the “unsportsmanlike events” Saturday don’t reflect the Jesuit Catholic school’s value and traditions, and it pledged to work to “make things right.” The statement said University president Michael Graham has been in touch with Williams to discuss how the schools can work together to promote cooperation and sportsmanship.