Which football team(s) would you want to join the SEC? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Which football team(s) would you want to join the SEC?

leckysc
10-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Mods, I searched for this topic but couldn't find it anywhere please feel free to delete if there is a similar one like it.

Here are my picks in order:
FSU
Miami
Clemson...yes Clemson
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
West Virginia

I don't see what the big deal with rival teams being in the same conference...

GatorMan32
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Is this question based on football product and nothing more?

I understand why people want FSU. Do not understand why anyone would want Miami. You don't want their fans coming to your stadium and even less you don't want to go there around theirs. I know they don't have a lot of fans but the ones they do... worst fans to be around ever. Add to that their mediocrity for a long time an impending NCAA ***** slap that is upcoming and they offer little to nothing.

leckysc
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I picked Miami because they are good, wasn't thinking about the fans...

Steelspur20
10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I picked Miami because they are good, wasn't thinking about the fans...

well they used to be, they do have some tradition, but they are mediocre at best now, and IMO I don't think thats going to change for a while. I also don't like the idea of Miami fans in Williams-Brice either.

GR8NESS
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Eastern Kentucky
Western Kentucky
UT-Chattanooga
Bethune Cookman
Tulane
Rice

I like easy wins. They're comparable programs to UK that we should beat, most of the time.

F250MustangGuy
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
1. Clemson
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. Virginia
5. Georgia Tech
6. Florida State
7. Oklahoma State
8. Missouri

fodive
10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
North Carolina, North Carolina State, East Carolina, FSU, Clemson.

SCBobo85
10-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Virginy Tex, FSU, UNC, Virginia, maybe NC State

Hump4Hoops
10-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Teams in red are my "unrealistic" picks, because we're not going to add teams that don't bring in money markets.

1. Clemson - Basically an SEC school in the ACC. Perfect all around.
2. FSU - Fanbase, tradition, southern, already in a rivalry.
3. Georgia Tech - Former SEC school, rivalry, smart fanbase.
4. Tulane - Former SEC school, will give LSU someone else to pound.

Schools below are not southern:

5. Mizzou - East, please take auburn asap
6. NC State - Close to southern, and a totally different beast than UNC/Duke
7. VT - Solid program

fodive
10-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Teams in red are my "unrealistic" picks, because we're not going to add teams that don't bring in money markets.

1. Clemson - Basically an SEC school in the ACC. Perfect all around.
2. FSU - Fanbase, tradition, southern, already in a rivalry.
3. Georgia Tech - Former SEC school, rivalry, smart fanbase.
4. Tulane - Former SEC school, will give LSU someone else to pound.

Schools below are not southern:

5. Mizzou - East, please take auburn asap
6. NC State - Close to southern, and a totally different beast than UNC/Duke
7. VT - Solid program

North Carolina isn't southern?

Bubba
10-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Vt
okst

GR8NESS
10-18-2011, 03:37 PM
north carolina isn't southern?

DEY vOTED FOR O'BUMMER!! BUNCH OF CARPETBAGGIN' LEEYBRULS

Bama_Man
10-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Agree with GMan on Miami, I do not want them in the SEC at all. They bring nothing to the table. Not a great fanbase, NCAA sanctions, do not travel well, do not do well in their TV market, etc...

My list:

1-FSU
2-Oklahoma
3-Virginia Tech
4-Oklahoma State
5-Louisville

GR8NESS
10-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Agree with GMan on Miami, I do not want them in the SEC at all. They bring nothing to the table. Not a great fanbase, NCAA sanctions, do not travel well, do not do well in their TV market, etc...

5-Louisville

They fit three of the four problems you listed with Miami. ;)

SECgamecock453
10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Missouri

Bama_Man
10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
They fit three of the four problems you listed with Miami. ;)

but they are much closer to a central SEC location and do well in basketball markets. They almost always rank in the top 5 of basketball attendance and generate something like $30 million out of their basketball program.

I like the LVille fit too. They have a natural rival and it would not skew transportation for SECE teams.

georgiaguy31015
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, West Virginia. Are the only football schools I would want now if you include basketball that opens things up.

Bacon
10-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I'd really like to see a team from North Carolina and Virgina added.

I'd prefer Virgina Tech and North Carolina State.

There is something strangely satisfying about the thought of bringing in Duke, and then allowing all the SEC teams to feast on their football program. And by feast I mean 40+ point wins. But Duke will never happen. Hell, VT and NC State are a stretch too.

I like the idea of adding Rice to the West, or SMU, but Missouri is a solid choice as well. Not the best football programs out there, but very solid, and very solid academically and in all sports.

I think that it is more than a little weird that Florida's biggest rival, FSU, and Georgia's biggest rival, Georgia Tech, and South Carolina's biggest rival, Clemson, are all in the ACC. I wouldn't want to add any of the three, as they don't really bring anything to the conference except more competition in football...

If Miami were to be invited, I think I would jump on the exit bandwagon. Miami is just bad news.

boxvic
10-18-2011, 09:38 PM
I'll be an honest UK fan... I'd love to see Louisville in the SEC, because they are more committed to football than we are. Put them in the SEC and they might still have a half-empty stadium but they'd slowly rise to a higher level than UK is at right now... because they aren't scared to spend lots of money on football coaches.

Other UK fans can scream at me, they can call in death threats, whatever, but I don't hate Louisville. I was raised in an area that hated IU and looked UL favorably. Western Kentucky gets totally overlooked by the rest of the state and it creates a unique dichotomy here. UK and UL fans here will fight each other, but UK fans here will stand up for UL fans from here against UK fans from elsewhere in the state and vice-versa. Both schools pretty much ignore us. Ask 100 UK fans in Owensboro what they think about UL and 100 UL fans in Owensboro what they think about UK and 80% of both will say "eh".

I'd love Louisville to be in the SEC because it would give me a second high-level conference Kentucky team to cheer for, and honestly a team that cares more about football.

Bama_Man
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
UVA is about like Duke, theres no way they would even consider a move to the SEC. They just dont fit the SEC mold.

I think Virginia Tech is the best real possibility but it seems that we are stuck with Mizzou :( (no offense UM fans)

Bacon
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I'll be an honest UK fan... I'd love to see Louisville in the SEC, because they are more committed to football than we are. Put them in the SEC and they might still have a half-empty stadium but they'd slowly rise to a higher level than UK is at right now... because they aren't scared to spend lots of money on football coaches.

Other UK fans can scream at me, they can call in death threats, whatever, but I don't hate Louisville. I was raised in an area that hated IU and looked UL favorably. Western Kentucky gets totally overlooked by the rest of the state and it creates a unique dichotomy here. UK and UL fans here will fight each other, but UK fans here will stand up for UL fans from here against UK fans from elsewhere in the state and vice-versa. Both schools pretty much ignore us. Ask 100 UK fans in Owensboro what they think about UL and 100 UL fans in Owensboro what they think about UK and 80% of both will say "eh".

I'd love Louisville to be in the SEC because it would give me a second high-level conference Kentucky team to cheer for, and honestly a team that cares more about football.

Damn....

LSUTigers1404
10-18-2011, 09:53 PM
1. Clemson
2. Florida State
3. Georgia Tech
(Too bad the rival fans/schools are such wimps.)

4. Virginia Tech
5. Tulane

boxvic
10-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Damn....

It's true. Hell I wasn't even raised to hate Louisville basketball. I was raised to hate IU and cheer for Louisville as long as they weren't playing UK.

It's honestly impossible to understand the near complete detachment from the rest of the state that comes from living West of E-town.

GR8NESS
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I UK and UL fans here will fight each other, but UK fans here will stand up for UL fans from here against UK fans from elsewhere in the state and vice-versa. Both schools pretty much ignore us. Ask 100 UK fans in Owensboro what they think about UL and 100 UL fans in Owensboro what they think about UK and 80% of both will say "eh".

That's funny, because it's the exact opposite of what every single person I know from WKY says about WKY. And I know a lot of people from Hoptown, Crittenden County, etc. here at UK.

GR8NESS
10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
And UL wouldn't rise to the level we are...you know why?

They just gave a 7 year extension to a coach who lost to FIU and Marshall. He's 2-4 (5?) this season. But he beat Kentucky.

Beating Kentucky is what that University thrives on. It's all they have. Letting them into the SEC puts them on par with us. It splits the state up even further for recruits (just like WKU being in I-A did). The worst thing to ever happen to UK football was UL getting into the Big East and gaining legitimacy. We now have to battle them for every single in state recruit and not just Jefferson County.

UL doesn't matter outside of Jefferson County. That's why you weren't "raised" to hate them...I wasn't either, until Pitino went there.

I'd go as far as to say 1/2 of Kentucky fans don't even want to play Louisville in football. We gain nothing.

boxvic
10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
That's funny, because it's the exact opposite of what every single person I know from WKY says about WKY. And I know a lot of people from Hoptown, Crittenden County, etc. here at UK.

That is because the people from here that actually go East are the ones who hate it here. UL students from here say the same thing once they get to Louisville, even if they weren't raised to only be UL fans. You either hate it here and try your damndest to fit in with the rest of the state, or accept it and either move out of state or just care less about the rest of the state.

You can have Hopkinsville though... there are more UT fans there than anything.

GR8NESS
10-18-2011, 10:55 PM
That is because the people from here that actually go East are the ones who hate it here. UL students from here say the same thing once they get to Louisville, even if they weren't raised to only be UL fans. You either hate it here and try your damndest to fit in with the rest of the state, or accept it and either move out of state or just care less about the rest of the state.

So people who actually go to UK/are alums aren't representative of UK fans?

Ok, that makes complete sense.

F250MustangGuy
10-18-2011, 11:05 PM
3. Georgia Tech

LMAO, Why would UGA care if a team we will beat 7-9 times a decade is a conference game for us?

boxvic
10-19-2011, 05:35 AM
So people who actually go to UK/are alums aren't representative of UK fans?

Ok, that makes complete sense.

They aren't totally representative of the people in this area, who just don't truly hate Louisville.

georgiaguy31015
10-19-2011, 05:38 AM
1. Clemson
2. Florida State
3. Georgia Tech

4. Virginia Tech
5. Tulane

What do you mean wimps?

leckysc
10-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Fine I'll take out Miami, but the others stick...

FSU
Clemson...yes Clemson
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
West Virginia

leckysc
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
1. Clemson
2. Florida State
3. Georgia Tech

I don't think any of these schools could be considered wimps

Also, someone said upthread that Clemson and FSU don't have huge fanbases...I'll have to disagree with that.

SECgamecock453
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't think any of these schools could be considered wimps

Also, someone said upthread that Clemson and FSU don't have huge fanbases...I'll have to disagree with that.

He was calling UGA/UF/USC wimps.

leckysc
10-19-2011, 02:16 PM
He was calling UGA/UF/USC wimps.

Well I don't think they are wimps either! :)

LSUTigers1404
10-19-2011, 10:30 PM
LMAO, Why would UGA care if a team we will beat 7-9 times a decade is a conference game for us?

You tell me.

What do you mean wimps?

Well I've seen nothing but negative feedback when these teams are mentioned for SEC membership. It's very obvious they would all be good additions and would fit like gloves. It's my opinion, I could be wrong, but I think the SEC rivals of these teams are afraid that their rivals would grow stronger due to the SEC ties. But, like I said, I could be wrong.

HeyBulldog
10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
If you look at the series record between Georgia Tech and Georgia you'll see that Georgia fans have no more reason to fear Tech than LSU fans have to fear Tulane. I say bring it. It wouldn't change much since we've been playing every year for decades anyway. We'd just have another spot on our schedule for an OOC cupcake.

BluegrassBelle
10-19-2011, 10:58 PM
I was derailed by this discussion of Louisville... I don't know what to say at this point I will just come back later when I am not so confused...Louisville in the SEC what kind of, I mean really Box lol

F250MustangGuy
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
You tell me.

You're the one that made the claim

Dr.SwineSmeller
10-20-2011, 03:36 AM
None of the above on those teams listed.

I've lobbied for A&M and Mizzou from the get go of this expansion dealio. They were the logical choices based on the revenues they offered the SEC. People act like the SEC is doing these teams a favor, but oh contraire, Mizzou and A&M bring much to the table, elsewise the big britches boys in charge of the SEC would not be courting them.

Anybody could water their conference down with a Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami, or WVU. Texas A&M and Missouri come with their own identities.

GR8NESS
10-20-2011, 08:43 AM
but they are much closer to a central SEC location and do well in basketball markets. They almost always rank in the top 5 of basketball attendance and generate something like $30 million out of their basketball program.

I like the LVille fit too. They have a natural rival and it would not skew transportation for SECE teams.

Lolbasketball. You really think that matters more than anything such as...say, women's soccer does in expansion? Because it doesn't. I can also tell you where a third of that 30 million comes from: alcohol sales and the resulting massive rates they can charge on suites with alcohol in them. They couldn't have such a luxury in the SEC.

Besides, you really think THIS is a fit in the SEC?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-1nRAcbUgeKM/ScWkic3SfrI/AAAAAAAAAGI/ZDMUBvpqhWU/louisville_1_032109.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Picture_159ULHSCPreston.jpg/220px-Picture_159ULHSCPreston.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3391761429_afebbb5cba.jpg

http://sports.rightpundits.com/wp-content/photos/Karen_Cunagin_Sypher__1.jpg

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/louisville-cardinals-fans.jpg

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/louisville-tickets-groupon.jpg

DawgNBama
10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
My choices to join the SEC:

1. Florida State- they really do belong, IMO.
1. Clemson- practically the South Carolina version of UGa.
3. Mizzou- I guess.
10.4 Georgia Tech- I don't really fear competing with Yech, but a lot of what people say about Miami & Louisville can also be applied to GT. The 'Jackets don't really add squat. If you really want Yech, you might as well vote for Miami & Louisville too.

10.6 Tulane- see GT.

CaribbeanTide
10-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Counting A&M and Missouri as givens my first 2 choices in a push-to-16 teams scenario would be:

1) Oklahoma
2) Oklahoma St (by association - and a decent running mate really)

They make sense across the board. Culturally, geographically, etc. And from the TV side they add more than any other team would. Oklahoma is huge in the Dallas market (heck they'd further reinforce Texas as a whole as UT fans will also tune in to watch rivals) plus they're a national name brand that people anywhere in the country would watch. All that said, their current leadership is clearly not thinking that way (or in touch with reality really.) And it looks like the Big 12 may actually survive for the near term so this one's a long shot. My next choices would be:

3) Florida St
4) NC State

Much like Oklahoma, Florida St is one of those national name brand programs that you jump to take IF you can get them. People from anywhere across the country would watch them. And they're a perfect DNA fit across the board. They're already recruiting lights out so that's a non-issue IMO. And yes adding traditional powers like them or Oklahoma would make the competition that much more fierce and undefeated seasons more difficult. But in the scenario where the SEC might push to 16 teams we're likely entering an era where a playoff (or at the very least a plus 1) is imminent anyway so that negates some of that IMO.

NC State I would view almost as a Missouri-like get with an A&M motivation. They're a mid-tier addition athletically to add depth while trying to round out the footprint and add a few desirable TV markets. Based on my regular travels to Raleigh (one of my biggest clients is there) I also get the impression they'd actually be a good fit culturally. Despite being a large program they've always lived in the shadows of North Carolina and Duke (at least in basketball - which is the more important sport for the state.) There's deep ACC roots there but I think offering them a chance to join the SEC might give them an A&M-like desire to strike out on their own.

After that I really don't have any preference. Virginia Tech would be nice but I highly doubt that'll happen after Virginia stuck its neck out for them to get them into the ACC. Plus I think their real world TV drawing power is VASTLY overrated. WVU would be a great cultural/athletic fit (and I think their TV drawing power is underrated) but I have a feeling the SEC only views them as a fallback option. Clemson's a perfect DNA fit, but they're not a national brand name like FSU is to likely justify getting another program from within the same state. Same for GT for that matter. UNC would be amazing but that's simply not going to happen.

Dr.SwineSmeller
10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Counting A&M and Missouri as givens my first 2 choices in a push-to-16 teams scenario would be:

1) Oklahoma

Agree on Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. That will either happen within the next two years, or the 16 team thingy will be a good while coming, probably 8-10 years down the road. But indeed OU and OK State will be the preferred teams.

Naval Aviator
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM

1) Oklahoma

I agree CaribbeanTide and SwineSmeller. Both are solid football programs and their following will fit well in the SEC. Oklahoma may not be the "Old South" the fans are good people. I like the resulting geography of the conference, especially if Mizzou is a done deal.

I spent a shore tour at Virginia Tech with their Corps of Cadets teaching Naval Science. I really like the school and the culture. If the Okies aren't a possibility, I'd love to see the Hokies in the SEC.

F250MustangGuy
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree CaribbeanTide and SwineSmeller. Both are solid football programs and their following will fit well in the SEC. Oklahoma may not be the "Old South" the fans are good people. I like the resulting geography of the conference, especially if Mizzou is a done deal.

I spent a shore tour at Virginia Tech with their Corps of Cadets teaching Naval Science. I really like the school and the culture. If the Okies aren't a possibility, I'd love to see the Hokies in the SEC.

Of all of the teams that could be your natural rival, Clemson makes the most sense. VTech, Virginia, UNC would be good too.

If we get Missery and have to move Auburn to the east, I'd rather pick up aTm as UGA's protected rival.