What Happens to Missouri's Coach... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to Missouri's Coach...

Carolina Razorback
08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Should Mizzou start searching for a new coach or will they stick by him?? Basketball season starts soon.

Some people have been reporting that this story has numerous tentacles. I believe that to be true and sadly it is going to impact many lives in a negative light is truly a tragedy for college sports entirely.

“Coach Haith gave me a call, introduced himself (Coach Haith gave me a call, introduced himself). We then struck up a very close relationship. I guess we went to lunch a couple times. Then we spent some personal nights at Solid Gold [strip club] between him and coach Jake Morton, who is the assistant coach.”

• “I gave [the basketball coaches] $10,000 for a player named DeQuan Jones. DeQuan Jones committed to Miami from Georgia. A school in Georgia. I’m not sure where. I never had a dealing directly with the kid. The money was given to Jake Morton at my house. …

• “By the way, the $10,000 they did return to me after I was incarcerated when I became pissed off [at] the fact that they were ignoring my calls. … [Morton] followed one of my security guards up to my mother’s house [and] gave the money to my mother directly.”
Sounds like they (the coaches) got spooked about being implicated by Shapiro. It doesn't do a lot of good at that point to give the money back. The smartest thing to do would probably be to save it for your own attorney fees.

What do our local attorneys on this board think?

Haith's attempt of putting a neat spin on things.

“In response to a recent news article, I can confirm that the NCAA has asked to speak with me regarding the time I spent at the University of Miami. I am more than happy to cooperate with the national office on this issue and look forward to a quick resolution. The NCAA has instructed me not to comment further at this time in order to protect the integrity of their review, so I appreciate your understanding in this matter. The reports questioning my personal interactions with Mr. Shapiro are not an accurate portrayal of my character and per the above I am unable to comment further.”

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/08/ipt/1313229521.jpg
Nevin Shapiro said this photo was taken of him,
Miami basketball coach Frank Haith (middle)
and basketball assistant Jake Morton (right) at
Philipe Chow in the fall of 2008.

georgiaguy31015
08-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure there's anything for Missouri to do. If he did know about everything or even anything going on it wasn't at Missouri it was at Miami and that is who he was working for.

Carolina Razorback
08-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah maybe not. I'm not sure if his troubles will follow him. Taking money to buy recruits?? Seems like pretty serious accusations. At the very least it will be a big distraction for the basketball program at Mizzou. Not sure if they want that kind of negative publicity.

georgiaguy31015
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
It is a very serious accusation and with Miami lately it seems they have more facts than allegations. As to whether the trouble will follow him or not? Who knows Missouri may want to hang on to him for a little bit and then try to find someone better but don't forget they have a contract to live up to. In my opinion they shouldn't have hired him to begin with.

Carolina Razorback
08-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I guess this is the answer for now.

]The University of Missouri intends to wait for the results (The University of Missouri intends to wait for the results) of an NCAA investigation into pay-for-play allegations and other possible rules violations at Miami before making any decisions about the future of new coach Frank Haith, the school's chancellor said Friday.

georgiaguy31015
08-19-2011, 09:05 PM
I still don't see how they can fire him for what he did while coaching at another school without having to pay some money but maybe if it's serious enough they won't care about that.

msudawgs1964
08-20-2011, 06:20 AM
I still don't see how they can fire him for what he did while coaching at another school without having to pay some money but maybe if it's serious enough they won't care about that.

would need to look at his contract. Bet there is some language in there that would allow them to fire him without paying him a cent. One would be breaking NCAA rules, even at another institution, assuming it falls within the statute of limitations. But really without looking at that, who knows.

georgiaguy31015
08-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't even know that was possible lol.