Hewitt Fired [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt Fired

Herchel
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14799593/georgia-tech-fires-hewitt-after-tough-sixyear-stretch

Hewitt's firing will be expensive for Georgia Tech's financially strapped athletic program. After the Final Four season, he signed a six-year contract at about $1.3 million per year that includes an automatic rollover clause.

The school will have to pay Hewitt about $7 million, but Radakovich finally decided it was necessary to bite the bullet given the dwindling attendance and unhappiness among big-money donors.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Hewitt should've went to St. John's last year. Other than Indiana they have been the worse program to make a title game since 2000.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Definitely the best job opening now. Guys the Tubby rumors will only intensify regardless of what Coach has said.

dawgstud
03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Most attractive job in America if you consider the hookers prancing up and down North Ave attractive.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
New arena coming too. That only helps. Ga Tech always underachieves. With those PGs Cremins had, he had just one final four.

georgiaguy31015
03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm not surprised by this. I'm actually surprised it took as long as it did after their last game for them to announce it. I fully expected it to happen last night lol. It will be interesting to see which way they go especially considering their financial situation.

Herchel
03-12-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm not surprised by this. I'm actually surprised it took as long as it did after their last game for them to announce it. I fully expected it to happen last night lol. It will be interesting to see which way they go especially considering their financial situation.
A 7.3 M buyout will cause anyone to hesitate.

kentubbybasketball
03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
A tech would do that is something for the AD to answer.

Optik
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Crap. I was hoping they would hold off another season or two and slip completely into obscurity. Give UGA a real chance to establish themselves as the better team. Oh well.

GT had to do this though, unrest was much too high and the buyout was only going to get bigger. They had to get rid of him now to get it out of the way and save as much money as possible since it won't be long before they are looking for another football coach as well. Can't be paying two huge buyouts at once.