30 for 30: The Fab Five (airs March 13th) [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 30 for 30: The Fab Five (airs March 13th)

REBEL5 AC
03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArEOiywP1oc

I can't wait.

dnmuga93
03-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Might be the best one to come out so far.

scgamecock312
03-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Can't wait to see this!

Cuz
03-03-2011, 10:04 PM
RNT said it was the Fab Six. Now I am confused.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH1ujxNwrkA

Storm
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
dick.......

Storm
03-04-2011, 10:53 PM
anyway.....I was kind of hoping they would focus a little more on the Ed Martin scandal, but Jalen Rose's production company put a lot of this together. So while in an interview today on the radio he said it would have "the good, the bad, and the ugly," I have a feeling they won't be painted in bad light.

still, I can't wait to watch. I haven't been as excited about college basketball since those guys left. Just an amazing set of talent. Shame none of them have ever won a championship. Juwan is hanging around as long as he can. Playing for the Heat is his best chance, but I don't think they'll win it this year.

Dawg in Dallas
03-14-2011, 04:03 PM
It isn't a 30 for 30 film. Second loved this: (http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2011/03/14/former-duke-star-hurley-fires-back-at-fab-five-jimmy-king-had-no-game/related)

Dan Patrick scores again with another highly entertaining interview today, as guest Bobby Hurley — the only person ever to play for both Duke and Indiana* — gives his review on Part I of ESPN’s Michigan Fab Five documentary. In addition to noting a “high level of bitterness” as the four Michigan players recalled their college careers, Hurley also noted that Jalen Rose may not have played if he had gone to Duke:

“He might have had a hard time hitting the floor, because he wouldn’t have taken my spot.”

Also:

“Jimmy King had no game. When I scored 26 on them, maybe that should have given King the hint.”

“There was a high level of bitterness,” Hurley said of the documentary. “Particularly directed at us.” Hurley wasn’t surprised, because Duke beat that team three times.

Hurley said that UNLV had more of a right to talk trash because the Rebels were a true monster. But Hurley said he wasn’t surprised Duke beat UNLV in the Tournament, because that Blue Devils team had been through anything.

Audio here.

Hurley now coaches at Wagner College as an assistant to his brother Dan.

Did you really think that the Duke players from those two seasons were just going to let those comments slide? Oh, this is just starting to get good.

You may say that the quotes in the documentary were just recollections, or how the Fab Five were thinking as kids 20 years ago. But it was clear to any impartial observer that, in watching Rose, King, Howard and Jackson talk now, that the bitterness is still there.

As for Hurley’s contention that Jalen Rose wouldn’t have played at Duke, he may have a point. While it’s true that Michigan had two marvelous NCAA Tourney runs, people tend to forget that they never won a Big Ten title, either. Tied for third (11-7) in 1991-92, and finished second to Indiana the following season.

* = The latter was in the movie Blue Chips.

rolling baby
03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that DP interview w/ Hurley was GREAT.

Djshockley3
03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Webber is a douche.

georgiaguy31015
03-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I thought it was a great documentary. I took their comments about Duke to mean that was how they felt before they played Duke and after that they changed their minds and realized how good Duke was.

Storm
03-15-2011, 11:07 PM
it was a total fluff piece, but I still enjoyed it.

i agree with GG. they talked ish about Laetenner, then said how much they respected him once he showed he had skills.

I didn't really care for them trying to make it out like everyone should feel sorry for them. what they did was wrong, but it doesn't change what they did on the court.

I was sad that Webber declined to be a part of it.

best line was Rose saying "can you tell me who won the game two years ago? who won it 5 years ago? who the 5 starters were on UNC that beat us?"

he's totally right. They were a legacy.

boxvic
03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I kind of want to see Jalen Rose get bitch slapped after watching that. I mean, how does he walk around with that big head?

Storm
03-16-2011, 12:00 AM
I also loved it when he called any black player that got recruited by Duke as "Uncle Toms."..........LMAO

Djshockley3
03-16-2011, 04:12 AM
They all came off as complete morons. Calling Duke black players Uncle Tom's was truly idiotic.

georgiaguy31015
03-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I didn't understand the Uncle Tom reference. At that point to me it soundded like Rose was jealous and/or bitter that Duke didn't recruit him.

scgamecock312
03-16-2011, 06:42 AM
I loved the comments about Duke. I hate Duke and they are a bunch of cryers just like there coach.

scgamecock312
03-16-2011, 06:46 AM
A lot of people are going to disagree with me on this but I don't think they should have apologized. A lot of these kids are really poor and have to have some sort of means. If I was in there shoes and got offered money like that then their is no way I would turn it down. Also, their is no doubt in my mind that this kind of stuff goes on everywhere and some don't get caught. The problem is majority of them can't stay quiet about it and it leads to them getting caught.

Storm
03-16-2011, 07:06 AM
to a certain extent, I agree with you.......but after 15+ years, and with what it did to Michigan's basketball program, to show little contrition over the whole thing stings us as UM fans. The bball program is literally still trying to recover from everything that went down with Ed Martin.

Dawg in Dallas
03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
but it doesn't change what they did on the court.

Long, baggy shorts, bald heads, arrogance and mental meltdowns? :raz:

scgamecock312
03-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Same thing with USC in football....they may have been stripped but everyone knows what went down on the football field and that is all that matters.

ChickenCurse
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Same thing with USC in football....they may have been stripped but everyone knows what went down on the football field and that is all that matters.

Kind of like Clemson in 1981, right? Do you ever make a post that is not contradictory?

scgamecock312
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Kind of like Clemson in 1981, right? Do you ever make a post that is not contradictory?

Did I ever take anything away from Clemson with what happened on the field? NO I did not. They won the game just like USC but they both still had the infractions. The question for you is do you ever stop predicting Clemson wins over Carolina?! The answer is no. Run along

ChickenCurse
03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
You base your opinions on cheating on whether or not you like the particular team in question.

Someone needs contact the retard farm and tell them to ban 312's access to the interwebs - or at least give him a blanky to cover his arse.

Dawg in Dallas
03-17-2011, 07:39 AM
First Hurley lays down the smack, and now Grant Hill (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/):

I am a fan, friend and longtime competitor of the Fab Five. I have competed against Jalen Rose and Chris Webber since the age of 13. At Michigan, the Fab Five represented a cultural phenomenon that impacted the country in a permanent and positive way. The very idea of the Fab Five elicited pride and promise in much the same way the Georgetown teams did in the mid-1980s when I was in high school and idolized them. Their journey from youthful icons to successful men today is a road map for so many young, black men (and women) who saw their journey through the powerful documentary, “The Fab Five.”

It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a bitch and worse, calling all black players at Duke “Uncle Toms” and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me. I should have guessed there was something regrettable in the documentary when I received a Twitter apology from Jalen before its premiere. I am aware Jalen has gone to some length to explain his remarks about my family in numerous interviews, so I believe he has some admiration for them.

In his garbled but sweeping comment that Duke recruits only “black players that were ‘Uncle Toms,’ ” Jalen seems to change the usual meaning of those very vitriolic words into his own meaning, i.e., blacks from two-parent, middle-class families. He leaves us all guessing exactly what he believes today.

I am beyond fortunate to have two parents who are still working well into their 60s. They received great educations and use them every day. My parents taught me a personal ethic I try to live by and pass on to my children.

I come from a strong legacy of black Americans. My namesake, Henry Hill, my father’s father, was a day laborer in Baltimore. He could not read or write until he was taught to do so by my grandmother. His first present to my dad was a set of encyclopedias, which I now have. He wanted his only child, my father, to have a good education, so he made numerous sacrifices to see that he got an education, including attending Yale.

This is part of our great tradition as black Americans. We aspire for the best or better for our children and work hard to make that happen for them. Jalen’s mother is part of our great black tradition and made the same sacrifices for him.

My teammates at Duke — all of them, black and white — were a band of brothers who came together to play at the highest level for the best coach in basketball. I know most of the black players who preceded and followed me at Duke. They all contribute to our tradition of excellence on the court.

It is insulting and ignorant to suggest that men like Johnny Dawkins (coach at Stanford), Tommy Amaker (coach at Harvard), Billy King (general manager of the Nets), Tony Lang (coach of the Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins in Japan), Thomas Hill (small-business owner in Texas), Jeff Capel (former coach at Oklahoma and Virginia Commonwealth), Kenny Blakeney (assistant coach at Harvard), Jay Williams (ESPN analyst), Shane Battier (Memphis Grizzlies) and Chris Duhon (Orlando Magic) ever sold out their race.

To hint that those who grew up in a household with a mother and father are somehow less black than those who did not is beyond ridiculous. All of us are extremely proud of the current Duke team, especially Nolan Smith. He was raised by his mother, plays in memory of his late father and carries himself with the pride and confidence that they instilled in him.

The sacrifice, the effort, the education and the friendships I experienced in my four years are cherished. The many Duke graduates I have met around the world are also my “family,” and they are a special group of people. A good education is a privilege.

Just as Jalen has founded a charter school in Michigan, we are expected to use our education to help others, to improve life for those who need our assistance and to use the excellent education we have received to better the world.

A highlight of my time at Duke was getting to know the great John Hope Franklin, James B. Duke Professor of History and the leading scholar of the last century on the total history of African-Americans in this country. His insights and perspectives contributed significantly to my overall development and helped me understand myself, my forefathers and my place in the world.

Ad ingenium faciendum, toward the building of character, is a phrase I recently heard. To me, it is the essence of an educational experience. Struggling, succeeding, trying again and having fun within a nurturing but competitive environment built character in all of us, including every black graduate of Duke.

My mother always says, “You can live without Chaucer and you can live without calculus, but you cannot make it in the wide, wide world without common sense.” As we get older, we understand the importance of these words. Adulthood is nothing but a series of choices: you can say yes or no, but you cannot avoid saying one or the other. In the end, those who are successful are those who adjust and adapt to the decisions they have made and make the best of them.

I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons.

I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Grant Henry Hill
Phoenix Suns
Duke ‘94

scgamecock312
03-17-2011, 07:54 AM
You base your opinions on cheating on whether or not you like the particular team in question.

Someone needs contact the retard farm and tell them to ban 312's access to the interwebs - or at least give him a blanky to cover his arse.

Do I like Southern Cal? No I do not....you are wrong YET AGAIN. Keep on though...you are showing just how ignorant you really are.

Dawg in Dallas
03-17-2011, 07:56 AM
I suggest he quits trying and you quit trying and we stick to the topic.

scgamecock312
03-17-2011, 07:56 AM
The Fab Five has the whole Duke nation fired up. I love it. Screw Duke.

Dawg in Dallas
03-17-2011, 08:00 AM
I would've liked to have seen the Fab five take on the running rebs from UNLV - sorta a cheaters championship.

Those Duke teams were awesome - my older sister was in graduate school at Duke during that time period. She was NEVER a sports fan, but she actually got into Duke BB.

scgamecock312
03-17-2011, 08:04 AM
I suggest he quits trying and you quit trying and we stick to the topic.

I've been on topic. He is the one who comes into threads where Carolina fans post there opinions and gets off topic. Anyway...I'm not going to get into that because we all know how it works around here.

Back on topic please

Storm
03-17-2011, 01:16 PM
bobby hurley and grant hill are butt hurt

seriously though, Jalen was giving his opinion of how he felt about Duke and those guys as a 17 year old kid. they are the ones in their mid 30's issuing press release retorts.

Dawg in Dallas
03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
:rotf: Yes Hurley and Hill are "butthurt" because they never lost to the Fab Five. They are butthurt because they won championships and the Fab Five won nothing. They are butthurt because they "issued press releases" (not true, but let's roll with it).

But the Fab Five is merely commenting on how they felt when they were 17 year old kids in a "documentary" produced by one of the Fab Five and where they whine as adults about Duke. If anyone is "butthurt" it is the Fab Five.

BluegrassBelle
03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Hill and Hurley = Uncle Tom bitches

Laettner stomps on players

Cameron seems so crazy is because it is smaller than some high school gyms.

Storm
03-17-2011, 04:34 PM
i'd say they got what they wanted out of this documentary. Still a hot button topic 5 days later. Can only help Michigan recruiting, I would think

and yes, they're butt hurt. Bobby Hurley should be singing Jalen's praises right now. He's relevant in life for the first time in about 13 years :rotf:

Dawg in Dallas
03-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Make fun of the guy who got into a serious car wreck ruining his professional career. Nice job Storm. :raz:

Storm
03-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Fuke Duke

that is all.

scgamecock312
03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Fuke Duke

that is all.

Amen. I bet if the NCAA did some digging in Durham they could find some things.

LSUTigers1404
03-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow, amazing how something that happened so long ago can spark such a range of emotions.

Jalen Rose makes a good point, the Fab 5 have a greater legacy than some of the teams that beat them. They should be proud of that. But I bet you Jalen and co. would trade that legacy for some championship rings. I know I would.

Bama_Man
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Amen. I bet if the NCAA did some digging in Durham they could find some things.

Corey Maggette?

The only program where a player takes money and the school didnt have to vacate wins.

Bama_Man
03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
:rotf: Yes Hurley and Hill are "butthurt" because they never lost to the Fab Five. They are butthurt because they won championships and the Fab Five won nothing. They are butthurt because they "issued press releases" (not true, but let's roll with it).

But the Fab Five is merely commenting on how they felt when they were 17 year old kids in a "documentary" produced by one of the Fab Five and where they whine as adults about Duke. If anyone is "butthurt" it is the Fab Five.

No, Hurley for sure is butthurt. Why even comment? If he was truly above it, he wouldnt have said a word.

But he responded because he is mad that people remember the Fab Five way more than they remember the Duke title team except for Lattnear being an incredibly dirty player and being given a title when he should have been suspended.

scgamecock312
03-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Corey Maggette?

The only program where a player takes money and the school didnt have to vacate wins.

That is Duke for you. The NCAA lets them get away with everything.

Dawg in Dallas
03-17-2011, 09:19 PM
The Duke hate is hilarious here.

UK'sRash
03-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Jason Whitlock
@WhitlockJason Jason Whitlock
6/7 yrs ago New Orleans paper broke down w/reporting & legit sourcing how Duke hoops funneled money/jobs to players' families. No outrage.

Of course no outrage. Duke has the NCAA wrapped around their finger.

scgamecock312
03-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Jason Whitlock
@WhitlockJason Jason Whitlock
6/7 yrs ago New Orleans paper broke down w/reporting & legit sourcing how Duke hoops funneled money/jobs to players' families. No outrage.

Of course no outrage. Duke has the NCAA wrapped around their finger.

Damn right they do....that is why I hate Duke and Coach K. I've always wondered why his nose is so big?!

Bama_Man
03-21-2011, 10:30 PM
The Duke hate is hilarious here.

Could you please point out what is false about mentioning that Corey Maggette was ruled ineligible because of taking money yet Duke did not have to vacate any wins?

We are discussing two teams that both have a player(s) that took money in college and compromised their eligibility.
Team A had their Final Four banners and all the wins vacated
Team B had zero wins vacated and had their violations basically kept under wraps.

Which team is Michigan and which team is Duke?

Dawg in Dallas
03-21-2011, 10:43 PM
I am not defending the Corey Maggette situation, and I wasn't specifically referring to you. I honestly couldn't tell you about any of the violations of either Duke or Michigan. Michigan didn't win any championships - forfeit or not. The Duke teams of that era haven't been accused of anything, as far as I know.

Sounds like your beef is with the NCAA's enforcement, not Duke. You will get no argument from me on that issue.

ChickenCurse
03-21-2011, 11:04 PM
I saw this last night, and all I got out of it was that the ACC totally owned the "fab" 5.

As far as the Grant Hill "Uncle Tom" comments go - that kind of crap is a big part of what is wrong with Black America IMO. Being educated and well read is looked down upon. That response that Hill wrote was spot on.

Best line was Rose saying "can you tell me who won the game two years ago? who won it 5 years ago? who the 5 starters were on UNC that beat us?"

he's totally right. They were a legacy.

I have to disagree. Individual achievement is not better than winning championships. The little that those 5 did manage to accomplish for Michigan was stripped away by the NCAA anyway - but hey, at least people remember their names.

:rotf:

ChickenCurse
03-21-2011, 11:07 PM
I hate Duke and Coach K. I've always wondered why his nose is so big?!

I see we can add anti-Semitism to your list of wonderful traits. Way to represent coot.

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 01:50 AM
I saw this last night, and all I got out of it was that the ACC totally owned the "fab" 5.

As far as the Grant Hill "Uncle Tom" comments go - that kind of crap is a big part of what is wrong with Black America IMO. Being educated and well read is looked down upon. That response that Hill wrote was spot on.

I have to disagree. Individual achievement is not better than winning championships. The little that those 5 did manage to accomplish for Michigan was stripped away by the NCAA anyway - but hey, at least people remember their names.

:rotf:

Dude you are nuts, or intentionally trying to provoke sc. The Fab Five was way more influential in the overall landscape of basketball than any of the individual national champs at the time. Even the great UNLV team, one of the best teams ever, is not remembered as fondly as the Fab Five. They revolutionized basketball at that time, they allowed talent to be used regardless of age, not to mention the attitude.

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 01:52 AM
I am not defending the Corey Maggette situation, and I wasn't specifically referring to you. I honestly couldn't tell you about any of the violations of either Duke or Michigan. Michigan didn't win any championships - forfeit or not. The Duke teams of that era haven't been accused of anything, as far as I know.

Sounds like your beef is with the NCAA's enforcement, not Duke. You will get no argument from me on that issue.

Yeah UM won a title, in 89.

But its not just about NCAA enforcement, its about the NCAA's enforcement of Duke's transgressions. Any other situation like Maggette was punished with vacating wins. Duke was the only school not to have wins vacated for said transgressions.

UK'sRash
03-22-2011, 02:45 AM
The Fab 5 saved us from nuthuggers. That is as revolutionary as breakaway rims. I'm so happy the Fab 5 came along. They gave college basketball a swagger, style, and popularity that was lacking at the time. There are so many current players who wouldn't be playing the game today if not for them. They gave the game attitude, which is needed in a sport like basketball.

Dawg in Dallas
03-22-2011, 06:10 AM

But its not just about NCAA enforcement, its about the NCAA's enforcement of Duke's transgressions. Any other situation like Maggette was punished with vacating wins. Duke was the only school not to have wins vacated for said transgressions.

The Fab five did not win a championship - not an NCAA title or a conference title.

As far as any other transgression, that is not necessarily true - see Cam Newton. Hell see Percy Jones from Baylor. He was declared ineligible, but Baylor did not have to vacate wins.

ChickenCurse
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Dude you are nuts, or intentionally trying to provoke sc. The Fab Five was way more influential in the overall landscape of basketball than any of the individual national champs at the time. Even the great UNLV team, one of the best teams ever, is not remembered as fondly as the Fab Five. They revolutionized basketball at that time, they allowed talent to be used regardless of age, not to mention the attitude.

My comments had nothing to do with USuCk. As far as your opinions about the "fab" 5, you are just repeating the exact same ESPN BS you heard during the film like a parrot.

They sure did. And that banner from '89 still hangs from the rafters at Chrysler Arena - unlike the ones the five morons got for their final 4 appearances.

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
My comments had nothing to do with USuCk. As far as your opinions about the "fab" 5, you are just repeating the exact same ESPN BS you heard during the film like a parrot.
Ha, ookkaayyy. I was the perfect age with the Fab Five came around; I was a young kid who got to see five young guys with attitude and talent take over a sport for two years. Let me ask you this; what stuck more, the Fab Five (long shorts, bald heads, black socks, swagger) or the way Duke played in 92? UNC in 93? These guys came in and did something that had never been done before; they were five freshman who led their team to the national title game. Thats never been done before or after. If you dont think that the Fab Five was extremely influential in regard to basketball in the 90s then you are clueless.

They sure did. And that banner from '89 still hangs from the rafters at Chrysler Arena - unlike the ones the five morons got for their final 4 appearances.

Ha, Clemson has had their fair share of the NCAA taking their **** away, are all the Clemson players from 81 morons?

Hate all you want, the Fab Five was important in the overall landscape of basketball. Bobby Hurley and Eric Montross are nothing more than footnotes.

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
The Fab five did not win a championship - not an NCAA title or a conference title.

As far as any other transgression, that is not necessarily true - see Cam Newton. Hell see Percy Jones from Baylor. He was declared ineligible, but Baylor did not have to vacate wins.

Cam never proved to received any money, I dunno why people keep repeating that. proved

Did you read anything on the Perry Jones situation? A HS coach lent his mom an insignificant amount of money that was paid back before the NCAA even knew. Jones is a truly great kid with a lot of character and he got screwed by the NCAA. Go read up on what really happened with him, you will not try to compare Maggette to him.

Dawg in Dallas
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
The point is a simple one. Your issue is with NCAA enforcement. I believe Jones also received money from an agent for airfare. There was a rule violation with regards to receipt of money. Baylor did not have to vacate all wins.

The Newton investigation is ongoing, but there WAS a rule violation. You defense seems odd - the corruption at Michigan as it relates to the Fab Five was worse than the Maguette situation.

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
The point is a simple one. Your issue is with NCAA enforcement. I believe Jones also received money from an agent for airfare. There was a rule violation with regards to receipt of money. Baylor did not have to vacate all wins.

The Newton investigation is ongoing, but there WAS a rule violation. You defense seems odd - the corruption at Michigan as it relates to the Fab Five was worse than the Maguette situation.

Theres no doubts that what was going on at UM was def. against the NCAA rules and they deserved the punishment they received.
but I am ranting because it seems to the naked eye that a certain program who has been the darling of teh NCAA for a while for numerous reasons (I truly believe playing white players is a positive in the eyes of the NCAA) and have been allowed to get away with things that no other school has to that extent.

Its not juts Maggette, its been numerous things over the years.
And yes, the NCAA enforcement is biggest issue. But its selective enforcement and how it related to the NCAAs darling, Duke.

I didnt even get started on the amount of calls Duke receives in any given game, I dont wanna be here all day lol

Dawg in Dallas
03-22-2011, 03:01 PM
I am ranting because it seems to the naked eye that a certain program who has been the darling of teh NCAA for a while for numerous reasons (I truly believe playing white players is a positive in the eyes of the NCAA) and have been allowed to get away with things that no other school has to that extent.

That is an opinion. It seems to me that Ohio State just got a fairly lenient treatment and their players were black - of course, like the Newton investigation, the NCAA isn't done.

The discussion started because of the documentary as it relates to a very brief period in time. The documentary oversold the Fab Five's influence. While they made it to the championship game - they benefitted from unwarranted media hype. The UNLV team was more deserving (and probably their equal as far as rule breaking). There have been no allegations, that I am aware of, of Duke cheating when they whipped the Fab Five. Hurley may be a footnote in college basketball history, but Laettner certainly is not and Grant Hill was no slouch either. Steve Fisher will go down as an average is somewhat slimy coach, while Coach K is probably the most recognizable figure in the game today.

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
That is an opinion. It seems to me that Ohio State just got a fairly lenient treatment and their players were black - of course, like the Newton investigation, the NCAA isn't done.
Its all opinion! But my opinion is shared by millions. OSU got HAMMERED by the NCAA in basketball not too long ago, I dunno where that came from. This is about NCAA basketball, not football.

The discussion started because of the documentary as it relates to a very brief period in time. The documentary oversold the Fab Five's influence. While they made it to the championship game - they benefitted from unwarranted media hype. The UNLV team was more deserving (and probably their equal as far as rule breaking). There have been no allegations, that I am aware of, of Duke cheating when they whipped the Fab Five. Hurley may be a footnote in college basketball history, but Laettner certainly is not and Grant Hill was no slouch either. Steve Fisher will go down as an average is somewhat slimy coach, while Coach K is probably the most recognizable figure in the game today.

I mentioned that UNLV team, I consider them the best team in recent history and maybe of all time, but they didnt start five young kids. Thats the biggest issue is that these kids revolutionized how basketball was played on the biggest stage. How can that impact be oversold? Kids wanted to play like Jalen Rose or C-Webb, not like Lattnear. Kids wanted to dress like Webber and slam it home, or shoot like Rose and talk **** after he burns you.
Do you forget Lattnear STOMPING on a UK kid during the 92 Final Four, where he hits that shot? You seem to forget that Lattnear is regarded as one of the most hated players in CBB history.

Unwarrented hype? I dont understand that. These kids were five FRESHMAN who made the national title game two years running. They had three first round, all-star type players on the same team. They played like urban representation of the black culture, and did something thats never been done before or after. Five starting freshman playing for a national title.

Yes, Duke won a title. UNC won a title. But neither were the first team or the only team to accomplish that feat. The Fab Five were the first and last, the only team to ever pull that feat off, making the NC game two years running with five frosh then five sophomores.

Dawg in Dallas
03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Thats the biggest issue is that these kids revolutionized how basketball was played on the biggest stage.

:rotf: :rotf:

That is just laughable. The revolutionized the length of shorts - and even that is questionable, hello MJ.

You seem to forget that Lattnear is regarded as one of the most hated players in CBB history.

Lots of winners are despised. Surely as a Bama fan you realize this.

The Fab Five were the first and last, the only team to ever pull that feat off, making the NC game two years running with five frosh then five sophomores.

Whoop-te-do. They certainly aren't the first and only team to make the final four in back to back years. They could've at least one w conference title before a declaration is made that they revolutionized the game (yes, that is unwarranted hype :rotf: ).

Bama_Man
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
:rotf: :rotf:

That is just laughable. The revolutionized the length of shorts - and even that is questionable, hello MJ.

How many teams started five freshman before that? How many relied on multiple freshman to be significant contributors on elite teams? The UM teams proved that talent should be shown regardless of age. Thats not revolutionary?

Lots of winners are despised. Surely as a Bama fan you realize this.
Absolutely. No doubts there. Duke gets a lot of unfounded hate, I recognize that. But that doesnt mean Lattnear stomping on a kid magically disappears.

Whoop-te-do. They certainly aren't the first and only team to make the final four in back to back years. They could've at least one w conference title before a declaration is made that they revolutionized the game (yes, that is unwarranted hype :rotf: ).

So five freshman doing something that had not been done before or has not been done after isnt a huge accomplishment?
Five 18 year old kids led a team to the national title game.

ChickenCurse
03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Let me ask you this; what stuck more, the Fab Five (long shorts, bald heads, black socks, swagger) or the way Duke played in 92? UNC in 93? These guys came in and did something that had never been done before; they were five freshman who led their team to the national title game. That's never been done before or after. If you don't think that the Fab Five was extremely influential in regard to basketball in the 90s then you are clueless.

Obviously, what "stuck more" would be the the championship banners that STILL hang in Duke and UNC's arenas. If the reason you are interested in sports is because of "long shorts, bald heads, and black socks" then you should be more interested in reality TV shows like Project Runway. You are a real fashion-ista and Big Gay Al totally agrees with your "Fabulous" opinion of sports.

http://img.search.com/thumb/3/38/BigGayAl.png/180px-BigGayAl.png

Ha, Clemson has had their fair share of the NCAA taking their **** away, are all the Clemson players from 81 morons?

We lost some scholarships and some TV time. The 1981 National Championship was not (and will never be) stripped from Clemson. You would think someone who pulls for Alabama - the slimiest program in NCAA history - would be aware of things like this.

Hate all you want, the Fab Five was important in the overall landscape of basketball. Bobby Hurley and Eric Montross are nothing more than footnotes.

Bobby Hurley, Christian Laetner, Eric Montross, and George Lynch (I put him in there to add a little "color") are champions - the "fab" 5 are not.

Case closed.

Bama_Man
03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Obviously, what "stuck more" would be the the championship banners that STILL hang in Duke and UNC's arenas. If the reason you are interested in sports is because of "long shorts, bald heads, and black socks" then you should be more interested in reality TV shows like Project Runway. You are a real fashion-ista and Big Gay Al totally agrees with your "Fabulous" opinion of sports.

So being a big (arguably the biggest) cog in changing the way that modern basketball is played wasnt important. OK. :/

We lost some scholarships and some TV time. The 1981 National Championship was not (and will never be) stripped from Clemson. You would think someone who pulls for Alabama - the slimiest program in NCAA history - would be aware of things like this.

Nice try, but Bama is nowhere near the top of major NCAA infractions. Try again.

Bobby Hurley, Christian Laetner, Eric Montross, and George Lynch (I put him in there to add a little "color") are champions - the "fab" 5 are not.

Can any of those five players say they did something that has never been done before or after?

If the answer is no, then they are not remembered in the same vein as the kids at UM. Because while numerous players have won titles and won POY awards and such, only FIVE players in NCAA history came in as true frosh, became the starting five before the end of teh season and led their team to the national title game all while being true freshman.

Class Dismissed.

ChickenCurse
03-23-2011, 04:59 PM
So being a big (arguably the biggest) cog in changing the way that modern basketball is played wasnt important. OK. :/

If by "modern basketball" you mean "look at how great I am and I don't care whether or not we win anything of note as long as I am considered a star" then I guess I stand corrected. Or, you may be falling back on your baggy clothing argument, which I just can't understand. In fact, the baggy clothing phenomenon can be traced back to prison jumpsuits and thugs needing room in their pants in order to shoplift. So you see - the criminal element of America was far more influential in "modern basketball" than the 5 idiots who never won a championship at Michigan, got caught in dope houses, and subsequently had their wins wiped clean from the NCAA record books.

Nice try, but Bama is nowhere near the top of major NCAA infractions. Try again.

I know more than enough about Bama sleaze thank you very much. The infractions committed at Clemson that you were so quick to point out were perpetrated by two disciples of The Bear himself - Charley Pell and Danny Ford. From my understanding, half the NCAA rulebook exists solely because of your demigod coach. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that Bama has been on some form of probation 8 of the last 10 seasons. I just think that a Bama fan preaching to someone about NCAA violations is quite laughable.

Can any of those five players say they did something that has never been done before or after?

Uh, yeah. I would say so.

In 1992 Christian Laettner was selected for the men's Olympic basketball team, which became known as the "Dream Team". He was the only college player selected to the roster, beating out Shaquille O'Neal for the final spot. The team went on to win the gold medal at the 1992 Olympics, and has been called the greatest sports team ever assembled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Laettner

If the answer is no, then they are not remembered in the same vein as the kids at UM. Because while numerous players have won titles and won POY awards and such, only FIVE players in NCAA history came in as true frosh, became the starting five before the end of teh season and led their team to the national title game all while being true freshman.

"teh season" lol teh black socks and freshmen are teh awesomest!

I guess the answer isn't "No".

So what if they were young? They still didn't win anything of note, and what they did win was stripped. At least they listened to gangsta' rap though... That is truly revolutionary. Chuck D and Ice Cube said as much.

Class Dismissed.

Be sure not to sell your books for this class. You could get into trouble for that kind of thing.