Will Ohio State repeat similar to 2004-05 Illini Basketball team [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Will Ohio State repeat similar to 2004-05 Illini Basketball team

IllinoisDawg63
02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Illini went undefeated until very last regular season game, when they lost by 1 to Ohio St, prior to the Big 10 tourney. How long will the Buckeyes keep their streak?

steelyvan
02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Comp in the B10 has been diminished by injuries and departures. OSU could easily run the table in the conf and the B10 tourney. They don't play the tourney in Wisconsin's arena do they? I am not so sure they will have a long NCAA run though.

georgiaguy31015
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't know how long it lasts but I will say this I'm not comfortable at all putting them as national champ in any of my brackets lol.

GDawg88
02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
They're probably the best team, but if I had to pick them or the field, I'd definitely take the field. This feels to me like one of those weird years like 2006 where a 3 seed ends up winning the whole thing.

UK'sRash
02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
There isn't any dominant team this year. You have 4 or 5 great teams, and everyone else. Ohio State, Kansas, Texas, Duke, and Pitt would be the only 5 teams i would pick to win it all, but if the field won it it wouldn't surprise me.

GoDores
02-06-2011, 04:20 PM
If Ohio St wins at Wisconsin, then they have potential to go undefeated. I'd be real surprised if they win at Wisc though.

kentubbybasketball
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
They've got Wisconsin at Kohl on Saturday. That won't be easy, because Wisconsin slows it down, and slower teams have caused more trouble. OSU is the real deal tho.

Storm
02-06-2011, 10:50 PM
as much as I hate to say it, osu has played 25 games now and gotten everybody's absolute best shot and they've taken it and ran. They have won a lot of close games this year and those are the games that will help you come tournament time. Slowing the game down won't bother them, not when they have one of the best big men in the country to throw it to down low in Sullinger.

yuck, i'm going to go throw up now. GO BADGERS!

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Storm, the two teams in the Big Ten that have playes them closest slowed the game down. I didn't say that guarantees a win, but it apparently gave those teams a better, and Wisconsin will slow it down.

Storm
02-07-2011, 06:46 AM
I agree, that's the formula that seems to work the best. Just saying they can play that style as well and be successful

steelyvan
02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Sullinger seems to get NBA respect from the officials. Which is rather unusual for a college freshman. Any SEC teams match-up well vs OhioStU and can take them down?

Storm
02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
florida already tried and got ran out of the building.

kentubbybasketball
02-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree, that's the formula that seems to work the best. Just saying they can play that style as well and be successful

Well, would you rather get beat by 3 or 20? In a three point game, it goes down to one possession, at least those teams had a chance to win.

GoDores
02-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Ohio St is not a deep team and betting on a non-deep team is always risky. All it takes is that one game with foul trouble.

Storm
02-07-2011, 06:52 PM
It hasn't been an issue yet and osu plays in one of the toughest/physical basketball conferences in the nation. I don't see any team out there that can throw waves of elite players at them to wear them down.

but I won't be putting them in the Finals probably of any of my brackets. I don't trust Matta as a coach that much. He's a hell of a recruiter, but X's and O's have come up short IMO.

steelyvan
02-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Storm, normally I might agree with you regarding the B10 being tough and physical. But this year, and recently, not so much. Clearly the BEast and the SEC are tougher and more physical.

kentubbybasketball
02-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Ohio St is not a deep team and betting on a non-deep team is always risky. All it takes is that one game with foul trouble.

Why is depth always a negative. Everybody shortens their rotation anyway. Furthermore, when your first eight are as good as theirs why worry about watering down your product by playing the rest of your roster. Lack of depth is overrated IMO unless you have no bench.

GoDores
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Sure you can go through a season and go 6 deep with 6 really good players, and hope the stamina isn't an issue. My point is when one or two of those 6 gets into foul trouble and you HAVE to go to the bench. If you don't have anything there, it's a problem and levels the playing field for an upset.

kentubbybasketball
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
But, what does being 6 deep have to do with Ohio State? They have Craft, Buford, Diebler, Lighty, Lauderdale, Thomas, and Sullinger. That's a 7 man rotation, which is pretty much all you need. You can only play 5 at once. There's a major difference in a 6 man and 7 man rotation. How big do you think Duke's main rotation was last year when they went on their run? They weren't playing 8 or 9 guys.

Storm
02-13-2011, 06:53 AM
looks like the formula to beat them was hit an absurd amount of three pointers in the second half......great win for Wisconsin, although when you're a top 15 team, rushing the court is dumb.

kentubbybasketball
02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
I disagree. This is a strong #1 team IMO. I think it's justified rushing the court if you're Wisconsin. That wouldn't happen at Duke or Carolina, but this is Wisconsin.

Storm
02-15-2011, 03:43 PM
a fan spit in Sullingers face. Rushing the court is dumb. Not to mention, Bo Ryan has had Wisconsin as a picture of consistancy for many years now. These aren't fans of a team that's never been #1 or won big games. Just not my bag