Andrew Luck Staying? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck Staying?

rolling baby
01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Pulling a Sam Bradford is a possibility.

UK'sRash
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Proof that Thetas/betas/random Greek letters are greater than money/the panthers.

Wave&Dawgs
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Good for him. He already comes from a pretty wealthy family and will get paid in the NFL regardless, so money isn't an issue for him.

Herchel
01-06-2011, 04:26 PM
That will move Mallett up in the draft.

Wave&Dawgs
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
That will move Mallett up in the draft.

As well as Gabbert, Locker, and Newton. They all just made a few million bucks likely with Luck staying in.

Just Some Hog Dude
01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Good for Stanford. Hopefully this mean Harbaugh is staying too.

Djshockley3
01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Dammit. Good for him though, you can't get back these years.

Bacon
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
And Mallet declares that he is leaving basically the same day that Luck says he is staying...

dnmuga93
01-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Luck's sister being on campus at Stanford probably played a bigger role than maybe we realized.

I also believe that there will be a rookie wage scale next year and he isn't throwing away the kind of money we're accustomed to seeing given to the top pick in the draft.

Plus, he is a third year sophomore. An extra year will certainly help him.

georgiaguy31015
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
He is staying so it will be interesting to see who's number 1 now.

Bacon
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Luck's sister being on campus at Stanford probably played a bigger role than maybe we realized.

I also believe that there will be a rookie wage scale next year and he isn't throwing away the kind of money we're accustomed to seeing given to the top pick in the draft.

Plus, he is a third year sophomore. An extra year will certainly help him.

Is he f*cking his own sister or something?:rotf:

I'd think that getting that free Standford degree was the real reason.
Or maybe he really wants a Heisman...

TIDE_gainer
01-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Sounds to me that he must have Heisman aspirations. He will be the front runner going into next year.

HunkerDown
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Good for Stanford. Hopefully this mean Harbaugh is staying too.

Hell no! Hopefully not.

Terrible decision by Luck.

SECgamecock453
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
The Panthers will find a way to screw up having a #1 pick, though Luck did some of that himself. I can't hate on his decision though, he's a smart kid and I know he thought it through. It'll be interesting to see what the Panthers do, but they better not trade away the #1 pick. And I don't want Mallett, he isn't first pick material.

rolling baby
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Who in the world want's that #1 pick? Panters just need to draft DL or something. Do what the Dolphins did with J. Long and settle on a salary amount before the draft.

SECgamecock453
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
No Luck almost makes the #1 pick worthless, but the Panthers really need a QB. Clausen isn't a franchise QB, but then again I don't know who is after Luck. Wouldn't surprise me to see them trade away the 1st round pick.

HunkerDown
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Luck was going to be the only good QB in the draft at least to take in the early 1st.

Herchel
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
I have to believe Luck knows Harbaugh is staying. I guess this means Lester to Michigan.

Dawg in Dallas
01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
No Luck almost makes the #1 pick worthless, but the Panthers really need a QB. Clausen isn't a franchise QB, but then again I don't know who is after Luck. Wouldn't surprise me to see them trade away the 1st round pick.

If only Sidney were coming out this year... (http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/01/07/a-j-green-could-be-no-1-overall-pick-in-nfl-draft/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog)

With Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck announcing that he’s returning to school for another season, there’s only one question: Does A.J. Green send him a thank you note?

If Green says he’s coming back to Georgia, it would be even more stunning than Luck’s decision. I follow this general rule: When a college player sells his Independence Bowl jersey for $1,000, he’s ready to make money.

By Luck staying in school, Green could be the first overall pick. That would give Georgia two first overall selections in the last three years (Matthew Stafford went No. 1 to Detroit in 2008.) It would be a nice honor for the school but there also could be a sense of, “Why didn’t we do more with them?”

Green is considered a lock top-five selection. ESPN’s Mel Kiper ranked Green as the fourth best prospect on his current “Big Board” (requires Insider subscription), behind Luck, Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers and Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley.

With no other quarterback worthy of being drafted first overall, there’s no obvious No. 1 pick. But several mock drafts already have Green slotted in the No. 1 spot and going to the Carolina Panthers. Excerpts from a couple of them:

– The Orlando Sentinel: “Carolina has got to be upset that Andrew Luck, who was a lock here, is returning to Stanford. They could go with a defensive lineman here, but they are hurting bad at wide receiver and may take Green as an athletic, flashy pick to try and help Jimmy Clausen and pacify a restless fan base.”

– NFL Fanhouse: “So Andrew Luck won’t be the QB in Carolina next season. It’s a bad development for the Panthers, obviously, but what can you do? In this case, Carolina will either ride Jimmy Clausen or add a veteran QB (Vince Young? Donovan McNabb?) — either way, the Panthers need to give that quarterback some weapons. Green is an absolute stud.

Based on recent first overall picks and inflation, Luck left potentially $55 million of guaranteed salary on the table (pending changes in the next CBA that could cap rookie salaries). Two years ago, Stafford signed a contract worth up to $78 million, with $41.7 million guaranteed.

Maybe he and Green can build a library on campus or something.

rolling baby
01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I don't feel confident about the other QBs. The Panthers should just wait for next year.

lbzdually
01-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Is he f*cking his own sister or something?:rotf:

I'd think that getting that free Standford degree was the real reason.
Or maybe he really wants a Heisman...

Oh the irony, an Arkansas fan making an incest joke.

Bacon
01-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Luck was going to be the only good QB in the draft at least to take in the early 1st.

Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Ryan Mallet are all good QBs projected in the first round.

I have to believe Luck knows Harbaugh is staying. I guess this means Lester to Michigan.

Well, we now know that this isn't true. But, the OC is likely to stay.

Luck may be different than any QB we have seen in recent years. I mean, his image is a combination of skill, athleticism, intelligence, and character. And he is a red shirt sophomore pursuing an architecture degree.

There is also a little matter about a rookie salary cap as well.

lbzdually
01-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Tiger neg repped me for calling him out on saying a west coast boy was committing incest, by saying I was an incest joke. Listen Pigs in turds, or Tigger or whatever your name is next week, I wasn't saying you personally had committed incest, I was merely pointing out the reputation that the south has for such things, but you being the d!ckhead you are had to take a personal shot.

Bacon
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Tiger neg repped me for calling him out on saying a west coast boy was committing incest, by saying I was an incest joke. Listen Pigs in turds, or Tigger or whatever your name is next week, I wasn't saying you personally had committed incest, I was merely pointing out the reputation that the south has for such things, but you being the d!ckhead you are had to take a personal shot.

My bad, you're right lbzdually. I get you some positive rep down the line.