Tressel Gone? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Tressel Gone?

Herchel
12-26-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2010/12/jim-tressel-leaving-ohio-state.html

On Christmas Day, two sources that are very close to recruiting at prominent universities confirmed that Jim Tressel will no longer be the head football coach at Ohio State University after the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas.

Ohio State was rocked by the suspensions of five key players, including top running back Dan "Boom" Herron and Heisman-hopeful quarterback Terrelle Pryor, for the first five games of the 2011 season earlier this week.

The sources indicated that Buckeye recruits have been informed that Tressel will not be back as coach, and have been allowed to look for other options.

Ohio State has one of the largest compliance departments in the country, yet they have reported 375 violations to the NCAA from 2000-2009, the most in the country.
Early in Tressel's tenure at OSU he had to deal with the Maurice Clarrett debacle, and Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith was suspended for two games for accepting money from a booster. The latest violations are just another dark page in the recent history of the Buckeye program.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2010/12/jim-tressel-leaving-ohio-state.html#ixzz19FLephTl

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/daily-chicago-sports-tab/2010/12/jim-tressel-leaving-ohio-state.html#ixzz19FLTBAma

Wave&Dawgs
12-26-2010, 01:13 PM
If this is true, that is shocking to me. He is the absolute last coach in the country I expected to leave his current team any time soon.

Bubba
12-26-2010, 02:23 PM
with all the violations since 2000, im not suprised.

Glad Arkansas LOCKED DOWN Bobby Petrino.

Storm
12-26-2010, 02:26 PM
i touched on this in the other thread, I think. I'd be shocked if he did leave. But right now this is only being reported out of some blog in chicago. Hasn't been touched anywhere else. If anything, I could see it as him trying to take the focus off the kids during bowl prep.

RollTide86
12-26-2010, 03:37 PM
This would be a shock no doubt. And a huge job opening, altho i dont believe it for a minute

Bubba
12-26-2010, 03:39 PM
whos on the market?

i cant think of any big name coaches that are available for this job.

MSU124
12-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Mullen....? I hope not

Herchel
12-26-2010, 03:42 PM
whos on the market?

i cant think of any big name coaches that are available for this job.

Saban? :rotf:

Bubba
12-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Mullen would be a major hire.

RollTide86
12-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I think they would definitly come to the sec for a replacement if this is true. They would also do the normal try for Chris Peterson deal maybe . Whoever gets the job wont be able to do any more than Tressel did imo. Maybe the only difference would be they actually would win their bcs bowl games

Herchel
12-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Mullen would be a major hire.

They ain't hiring Mullen.

Bubba
12-26-2010, 04:02 PM
They ain't hiring Mullen.

other than being locked down at State, why wouldnt he get a call? hes from Penn area.

i think Malzhan would be a great hire. at least he could maximize the use of the talent and win.

Herchel
12-26-2010, 04:06 PM
other than being locked down at State, why wouldnt he get a call? hes from Penn area.

i think Malzhan would be a great hire. at least he could maximize the use of the talent and win.
No one knows if Maltzahn can win or not. He has never been a head coach.

Wave&Dawgs
12-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Lol, no way Mullen is going to Ohio State.

Cuz
12-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Wade Phillips is available.

Herchel
12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Wade Phillips is available.
So is Sylvester Croom and Urban Meyer, not to mention Josh McDaniels and Gus Maltzahn.

rolling baby
12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Serves OSU fans right. They're always giddy to call SEC dirty. Eff them.

BergeLSU
12-26-2010, 04:52 PM
So a random blog from Chicago is the only place in the country reporting this? Okay.

Herchel
12-26-2010, 04:54 PM
So a random blog from Chicago is the only place in the country reporting this? Okay.
It's a slow day. We have Renardo Sidney and not much else. It's cold here and still snowing.

Bubba
12-26-2010, 06:47 PM
No one knows if Maltzahn can win or not. He has never been a head coach.

in college. he was one of Arkansas' most successful high school head coaches.

theres no doubt in my mind Malzhan is an amazing coach. what hes done at Tulsa, Arkansas and Auburn proves that. nobody can tell me he wont be a successful head coach.

as long as he had a solid DC, the sky is the limit for him and his offense, and if he landed @ tOSU, OMG what he would do with the talent thats recruited there.

IllinoisDawg63
12-26-2010, 07:50 PM
I won't believe this until from reliable source. If so, Jerry Kill bolted for Minnesota(from NIU) too soon. Kill seems to be doing well as HC and had only been in DeKalb, IL for 2 yrs. Al Golden is another who may regret going to Miami, if Tressel is for sure leaving Columbus.

georgiaguy31015
12-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Would be very very ineresting if true but I would like to see it from someone other than some blogger from Chicago.

WouldE
12-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I think they would definitly come to the sec for a replacement if this is true. They would also do the normal try for Chris Peterson deal maybe . Whoever gets the job wont be able to do any more than Tressel did imo. Maybe the only difference would be they actually would win their bcs bowl games
1. This is nothing but a rumor. From what I've heard the "reporter" confused Tressel with a assistent coach that is leaving for a head coaching job in the MAC.
2. I would be shocked if Ohio State went after anyone in the SEC.
3. Ohio State is 4-3 in BCS bowls with Jim Tressel as head coach....in that same time span Alabama is 1-1.

RollTide86
12-26-2010, 10:09 PM
1. This is nothing but a rumor. From what I've heard the "reporter" confused Tressel with a assistent coach that is leaving for a head coaching job in the MAC.
2. I would be shocked if Ohio State went after anyone in the SEC.
3. Ohio State is 4-3 in BCS bowls with Jim Tressel as head coach....in that same time span Alabama is 1-1.

I worded that wrong.I know he's been successful in the big games, he won one last year. Just seems tOSU lays a egg in some of them. So since you would be shocked if they went for a sec coach, give us your answer. Who would they go after? Dont respond with'' its just a rumor'' because we all know that. The question is given the situation who would they go after? Im waiting

Storm
12-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Urban Meyer had osu in his "escape clause" at Utah........Just saying

RollTide86
12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Urban Meyer had osu in his "escape clause" at Utah........Just saying

interesting. last time i checked he was a sec coach, even tho he stepped down i think he is classified as one.

WouldE
12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I worded that wrong.I know he's been successful in the big games, he won one last year. Just seems tOSU lays a egg in some of them. So since you would be shocked if they went for a sec coach, give us your answer. Who would they go after? Dont respond with'' its just a rumor'' because we all know that. The question is given the situation who would they go after? Im waiting

I don't know really, if Meyer was interested I don't think OSU could turn him away....maybe Bo Pelini....but who in the SEC would they go after? To my knowledge, OSU never courted any SEC coaches during past openings.

Didn't mean to make it sound as if no SEC coaches are talented enough to be hired at OSU, just none with any ties or an obvious good fit for OSU.

rolling baby
12-27-2010, 02:10 PM
WouldE is correct. Pellini would not leave Nebraska, though.

Best bet would be a Harbaugh (if doesn't go NFL).

ugabrad
12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
"Ohio State has one of the largest compliance departments in the country"

And yet their players get a reduced penalty because they were uninformed about the rules? Give me a break...

Storm
12-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Harbaugh would NEVER coach at osu. NEVER........please?

Storm
12-27-2010, 03:31 PM
interesting. last time i checked he was a sec coach, even tho he stepped down i think he is classified as one.

i didn't see your post there rammer. Meyer has some ties to Ohio I think. I believe osu is one of those schools where he would go, and I think they would take him, even though some fans wouldn't like it.

IllinoisDawg63
12-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Maybe Herbstriet could go back to Columbus?

Storm
12-27-2010, 03:50 PM
he's pretty much hated there too, now. Don't see that happening. Not to mention his complete lack of coaching history......LOL

28buckeye28
12-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Rumor going around that Tressel autographed some sweater vests in return for free tattoo's and was to be suspended for the first 5 games next season so he's looking at possibly making the leap to the NFL. :blah:

Bubba
12-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Rumor going around that Tressel autographed some sweater vests in return for free tattoo's and was to be suspended for the first 5 games next season so he's looking at possibly making the leap to the NFL. :blah:

yeah, then he'll be 0-fer vs the AFC south or somthing. fitting.

28buckeye28
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
yeah, then he'll be 0-fer vs the AFC south or somthing. fitting.

yeah or something..

Bubba
12-27-2010, 05:34 PM
yeah, im sure he can find somewhere to play a weak schedule and still waste talent.

28buckeye28
12-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah and if not maybe he'll get into a division that he can never win and piggy back off all the good teams in his division.

Bubba
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah and if not maybe he'll get into a division that he can never win and piggy back off all the good teams in his division.

:rotf: :rotf:

youre in for a suprise.

RollTide86
12-30-2010, 05:16 AM
I don't know really, if Meyer was interested I don't think OSU could turn him away....maybe Bo Pelini....but who in the SEC would they go after? To my knowledge, OSU never courted any SEC coaches during past openings.

Didn't mean to make it sound as if no SEC coaches are talented enough to be hired at OSU, just none with any ties or an obvious good fit for OSU.

i see. i can make sense of that i was wrong in thinking you were suggesting the sec coaches werent good enough. that was my mistake. you are right i cant think of a good fit myself.

RollTide86
12-30-2010, 05:17 AM
i didn't see your post there rammer. Meyer has some ties to Ohio I think. I believe osu is one of those schools where he would go, and I think they would take him, even though some fans wouldn't like it.

no problem. i can see meyer there, he's got ties to that part of the country and has coached in that area before.