Thoughts on the UConn Lady Huskies [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the UConn Lady Huskies

kentubbybasketball
12-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Any thoughts on their 89 game win streak?

VandyChuck
12-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Congrats to them, but it's unfair to compare a streak wildly unbalanced sport to a streak in men's basketball.

Wave&Dawgs
12-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I think it's amazing. There is no question they are the most dominant team in sports right now. To not have a single letdown in 89 games is just unfathomable.

Dawg in Dallas
12-23-2010, 04:16 PM
It isn't even the same sport. I don't see what is newsworthy about this - other than ESPN is HQed right around the corner, so they decided to make it news.

Bubba
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
what a bunch of nappy headed Hoes.........

oh wait.

Wave&Dawgs
12-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I love how people hate on the streak because they aren't men. Winning 89 games in a row in anything is impressive, I don't care what it is. Especially any D-1A sport.

Bubba
12-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I love how people hate on the streak because they aren't men. Winning 89 games in a row in anything is impressive, I don't care what it is. Especially any D-1A sport.

i agree.

Dawg in Dallas
12-23-2010, 04:35 PM

It is impressive, but not record-breaking.

Wave&Dawgs
12-23-2010, 04:38 PM
It is impressive, but not record-breaking.

In their sport it is. The old record was 70, also set by them.

Dawg in Dallas
12-23-2010, 04:51 PM
In that case, win #71 was a record breaker. Number 89 is merely continuing to set the new record. Win #89 did not break a record in their sport.

Wave&Dawgs
12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
In that case, win #71 was a record breaker. Number 89 is merely continuing to set the new record. Win #89 did not break a record in their sport.

Yeah it did, it broke their previous record of 88! :D

RedNekTiger
12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Amazing achievement. Winning 89 in a row is simply unbelievable. Every game, they are the target. They see the best game of every team they play.

That is 89 games without an off night. 89 games without the refs blowing it for them. 89 nights of getting ready better than the other team.

The ladies did not get lucky either.......

Average margin of victory is 33.3 points.

Only 4 of those 89 were determined by 10 points or less.

Only 28 more were determined by 30 points or less.

Only one team shot over 50% from the floor.

The last defeat came in 2008 in the Women's Final Four to Stanford.

They have gone more than 600 games since losing back to back games.

They have won 144 straight against unranked teams.

They have won 63 straight home games.

kentubbybasketball
12-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Congrats to them, but it's unfair to compare a streak wildly unbalanced sport to a streak in men's basketball.

So, men's basketball was balanced during UCLA's 88 game win streak (Wooden was in the midst of 10 titles in 12 years and 11 final fours in 12 years... more unbalanced than what UConn has done).

I actually have to agree with Wave on this (now I gotta go take a shower... yuck). This is a major accomplishment. For college basketball overall all genders this was monumental and any cover we can get for women's basketball is huge. I think if your a fan of basketball, you love this and appreciate this (and I can't stand UConn personally). This has been something the other side of amazing.

Now, has this streak been easy yes. The hardest game was the one againt Baylor and Brittney Griner a few weeks ago. I watched that game and it showed that women's basketball when it's competitive at the top is just as thrilling as men's basketball. The depth of the sport just needs to increase or at least the players need to be spread across more programs. As it stands UConn, Tennessee (have you seen Meighan Simmons play?), Baylor, Oklahoma, etc. still get all the talent.

Wave&Dawgs
12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
So, men's basketball was balanced during UCLA's 88 game win streak (Wooden was in the midst of 10 titles in 12 years and 11 final fours in 12 years... more unbalanced than what UConn has done).

I actually have to agree with Wave on this (now I gotta go take a shower... yuck). This is a major accomplishment. For college basketball overall all genders this was monumental and any cover we can get for women's basketball is huge. I think if your a fan of basketball, you love this and appreciate this (and I can't stand UConn personally). This has been something the other side of amazing.

Now, has this streak been easy yes. The hardest game was the one againt Baylor and Brittney Griner a few weeks ago. I watched that game and it showed that women's basketball when it's competitive at the top is just as thrilling as men's basketball. The depth of the sport just needs to increase or at least the players need to be spread across more programs. As it stands UConn, Tennessee (have you seen Meighan Simmons play?), Baylor, Oklahoma, etc. still get all the talent.

Also, it's not like UConn plays cupcake schedules either. They absolutely load their schedule with top 10-15 teams every season, even playing the #2 team in the nation to open their season. I only wish Geno and Pat would get over their petty feud and start scheduling each other again.

kentubbybasketball
12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
But, that's the point, the top 15 teams just aren't that good. Florida State was 22 and they got wallopped. Them scheduling #22 is like us scheduling a solid mid major like Cleveland State or something. You know your gonna win, but it still looks impressive that you scheduled them.

As for Geno and Pat. Geno knows what he's done (or that's what Coach Summitt says). If he wasn't cheating, maybe they would schedule each other.

Dawg in Dallas
12-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't have a problem praising UConn's women's team, but if the previous record was 70, then the achievement was 71, not 89. The record of 88 was achieved in a different sport, with different rules.

GatorMan32
12-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Saw a good line. There are like 15 real good players in the sport, womens basketball, and ten are at UConn. Different deal with the mens game.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Basketball isn't a great sport for gals. The ball is too heavy and the rim is too high. They just look goofy and lame playing it. Volleyball, tennis and gymnastics for the win basically.

Wave&Dawgs
12-25-2010, 04:05 PM
But, that's the point, the top 15 teams just aren't that good. Florida State was 22 and they got wallopped. Them scheduling #22 is like us scheduling a solid mid major like Cleveland State or something. You know your gonna win, but it still looks impressive that you scheduled them.

As for Geno and Pat. Geno knows what he's done (or that's what Coach Summitt says). If he wasn't cheating, maybe they would schedule each other.

Baylor is a very good team who is far and away the second best team and UConn scheduled them to open the season. Stanford is easily the next best team after Baylor and UConn scheduled them too. You can't say UConn doesn't schedule the toughest teams they possibly can.

Wave&Dawgs
12-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Basketball isn't a great sport for gals. The ball is too heavy and the rim is too high. They just look goofy and lame playing it. Volleyball, tennis and gymnastics for the win basically.

I do agree with this. Those are all very exciting women's sports to watch, especially Volleyball. And some gymnastics. Women's basketball can be brutal to watch most of the time.

Having said that, though, it still doesn't take away from the impressiveness of that accomplishment IMO.

UK'sRash
12-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I do agree with this. Those are all very exciting women's sports to watch, especially Volleyball. And some gymnastics. Women's basketball can be brutal to watch most of the time.

Having said that, though, it still doesn't take away from the impressiveness of that accomplishment IMO.

Volleyball is the best. I love watching women's volleyball.

Wave&Dawgs
12-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Volleyball is the best. I love watching women's volleyball.

Me too. It's easily my favorite sport to watch at Tulane. It is highly entertaining. The skill level they have is amazing.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Me too. It's easily my favorite sport to watch at Tulane. It is highly entertaining. The skill level they have is amazing.

They look pretty dang good too.

Wave&Dawgs
12-25-2010, 04:49 PM
They look pretty dang good too.

That they do!

PowerT98
12-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Also, it's not like UConn plays cupcake schedules either. They absolutely load their schedule with top 10-15 teams every season, even playing the #2 team in the nation to open their season. I only wish Geno and Pat would get over their petty feud and start scheduling each other again.

The Uconn Huskies and coach Geno have made a pretty impressive resume there is no arguing that. In the sports world these days with all the hype talking smack, not only being very good at what you do but rubbing your opponents nose in it for audience points...being loud, aggressive, and posturing...is almost more important than actually winning the game. IMO coach Geno ignores winning with good sportsmanship in favor of winning rudely and dominantly, don't just win...win...but also beat your opponents face into a pulp and make sure your loud enough doing it to make damn sure everyone sees it. I think that is why coach Pat Summit has turned her back on Uconn and coach Geno.

kentubbybasketball
12-26-2010, 06:36 AM
Baylor is a very good team who is far and away the second best team and UConn scheduled them to open the season. Stanford is easily the next best team after Baylor and UConn scheduled them too. You can't say UConn doesn't schedule the toughest teams they possibly can.
Not sure u can say stanford is better than ut but okay. UT did beat them last week.

Wave&Dawgs
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Not sure u can say stanford is better than ut but okay. UT did beat them last week.

Sorry, come again? :D

kentubbybasketball
12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Wave, I figured you'd try to call me out, but I'd still say the same thing. It took Tara VanDeveer three games to win her 800th game, which means they've already had two losses in a row. So, yeah, I'm not gonna flat out say they are the third best team in the country when a case could be made for Texas A&M, Tennessee and a few others.

With that said, Stanford played a great game and never trailed, but there's a clear difference in this team in terms of road games or at home in Maples Pavillion. At least in the women's NCAAT some games are played at home.