Siena beats Georgia Tech [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Siena beats Georgia Tech

Optik
12-22-2010, 09:19 PM
62-57. Paul Hewitt is my second favorite coach in NCAABB. :cheers:

GT lead 36-30 at the half.

Wave&Dawgs
12-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I really don't think any SEC fan is in position to make fun of teams from other conferences at this point.

Optik
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Checklist to make fun of GT:

They lost to Kennesaw State
They lost to Siena
Paul Hewitt is their coach
Paul Hewitt's contract
They are GT

UGA isn't setting the world on fire, but we are none of those things, at least.

UK'sRash
12-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Siena isn't a bad program. Haven't they won a couple games in the tourney the past couple years. I know they won a game last year.

Optik
12-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Siena isn't a bad program. Haven't they won a couple games in the tourney the past couple years. I know they won a game last year.

They are not good this year. Wins over Northeastern, Rider, FAU and GT. 4-6, 1-1 MAAC.

Lost to Vermont, Butler (good loss), Minnesota, Princeton, Albany, and Fairfield.

kentubbybasketball
12-22-2010, 09:31 PM
We played Siena early this year, and they actually had the lead, but Tubby tightened things up and we ended up winning. The key is to hold Ryan Rossiter in check. Siena isn't as good as they have been the last three years. McCaffery left for Iowa and Buongurao is trying to figure it out down there... he's a very good coach. They have a freshman point guard (his name escapes me) that is gonna be a player though... keep track of him.

I think the thing that stings most about this game for Paul Hewitt is the fact that he used Siena as his stepping stone to the Ga Tech job.

Optik
12-22-2010, 09:37 PM
We played Siena early this year, and they actually had the lead, but Tubby tightened things up and we ended up winning. The key is to hold Ryan Rossiter in check. Siena isn't as good as they have been the last three years. McCaffery left for Iowa and Buongurao is trying to figure it out down there... he's a very good coach. They have a freshman point guard (his name escapes me) that is gonna be a player though... keep track of him.

I think the thing that stings most about this game for Paul Hewitt is the fact that he used Siena as his stepping stone to the Ga Tech job.

:rotf:

Good thing he should be keeping that GT job until he doesn't want it anymore.

If that weren’t enough, there’s this: Hewitt’s contract renders him almost fireproof.

His deal was reworked in April 2004 after he led Tech to the NCAA title game. Dave Braine, the AD who hired Hewitt in 2000 and had seen his vision realized, rewarded his coach with a six-year contract that rolls over automatically and that provides a buyout in full for each of the five remaining seasons if he’s fired “without cause” (meaning, just for losing).

Hewitt is making $1.3 million this year. His total compensation will increase to $1.375 million next season and to $1.45 million in 2010-11. Were Tech to dismiss Hewitt today, it would have to pay him a total of $7.175 million.

By way of contrast, Tech was compelled to pay Chan Gailey $4 million when it fired him as football coach, and Georgia is on the hook for $1.5 million after canning Dennis Felton.

Georgia’s athletics department is flush with cash. Tech’s is not. Tech is paying Gailey through 2011 not to coach, and it just handed Paul Johnson a 50 percent raise — to $2.45 million per season. Bottom line: Nobody is rooting harder for Hewitt than Radakovich.

So...his buyout is currently ~$9 million. This is the final season of his contract, but it rolls over after this year automatically and he keeps getting raises and his buyout keeps going up. Until he quits because GT can't afford a ~$9 million buyout, much less any higher.

kentubbybasketball
12-22-2010, 09:42 PM
That's why St. John's wasn't an exit route for Hewitt this past offseason. Eventually they will put money together and fire him if he doesn't turn it around. That final game appearance in 2004 can only carry him so far.

Optik
12-22-2010, 09:46 PM
That's why St. John's wasn't an exit route for Hewitt this past offseason. Eventually they will put money together and fire him if he doesn't turn it around. That final game appearance in 2004 can only carry him so far.

I don't know where they are going to get it. It is just going to keep going up. They need to make a move if they are going to.

Good thing is that it keeps Paul Johnson at GT unless he leaves, and because of the resulting financial situation, would severely limit their choices to replace him. His contract paralyzes GT's entire athletic program, unless they start having much more success than they are now.

My favorite part? Paul Hewitt's agent is Mark Carmony, UGA alum. :cheers::rotf:

dawgstud
12-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I really don't think any SEC fan is in position to make fun of teams from other conferences at this point.

Check that, Muchambo. The Georgia Bulldogs look damn good!

kentubbybasketball
12-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Just about every school has rich donors that will get restless after awhile and maybe foot the bill themselves. Who knows?

Optik
12-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Just about every school has rich donors that will get restless after awhile and maybe foot the bill themselves. Who knows?

Maybe so, but that is the only way out that Tech has.

Herchel
12-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Yech needs to tighten up. They are killing our RPI. :rotf:

kentubbybasketball
12-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe so, but that is the only way out that Tech has.

This rivalry between Ga Tech and UGA must be more intense than I realized. You guys don't like them at all. haha.

VandyChuck
12-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Siena....GRRRRR

kentubbybasketball
12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Chuck, do you have an unplesant history with them? lol

Herchel
12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
This rivalry between Ga Tech and UGA must be more intense than I realized. You guys don't like them at all. haha.
You don't realize it because they have no posters on this forum. I don't hate any SEC school, only Yech (AKA North Avenue Trade School).

kentubbybasketball
12-23-2010, 10:07 AM
I understand that though, it's the same way between us and Louisville fans.

dawgstud
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
You don't realize it because they have no posters on this forum. I don't hate any SEC school, only Yech (AKA North Avenue Trade School).

I like most SEC schools and appreciate their traditions. I don't root for them simply b/c we're supposed to be rivals and it just feels wrong (South Carolina/LSU/Arkansas/MSU baseball being the obvious exceptions).

I hate GT so much my family got together when they played Russia in hoops years ago and were Communists for a night. And these aren't Obama loving bra burning pinkos either. These are Capitalism loving Americans.

You better believe we hate them, Kentubby.

HunkerDown
12-23-2010, 01:36 PM

We can always make fun of Tech, for anything.

HunkerDown
12-23-2010, 01:37 PM

You can't be serious... We hate Tech as much as anyone. We have to graduate college, get jobs, and work with the trash talking Nerds. Especially if you are in the software world.

Herchel
12-23-2010, 01:57 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/davi9095/UGA_RamblinWreck.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/davi9095/Yech3.jpg