Maryland pushing Friedgen to retire/ may want Mike Leach [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Maryland pushing Friedgen to retire/ may want Mike Leach

F250MustangGuy
12-17-2010, 09:51 PM
If they cant get Leach, they would go after Tyrone Willingham. I would keep Friedgen over Willingham

Source:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5931102

Maryland is strongly considering asking coach Ralph Friedgen to retire and accept a buyout, according to multiple sources.

Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson said Friday he would not address whether Friedgen was guaranteed to return in 2011. Anderson was addressing reporters on the departure of James Franklin, who took the head coaching job at Vanderbilt Commodores on Friday.

At one point during this season, Maryland told Friedgen he could return next season, but the coach has been pushing for a contract extension.

Franklin had been Maryland's coach in waiting. At least three Maryland assistant coaches are aware of the likelihood Friedgen will not return for next season and have committed to follow Franklin to Vanderbilt.

Sources said that former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach would be the leading candidate to replace Friedgen if he is forced into retirement, with former Washington coach Tyrone Willingham and current New Mexico coach Mike Locksley also candidates for the job.

Leach has a close relationship with Under Armour, which is run by a former Maryland football player and has offices in nearby Baltimore. Willingham was the head coach at Stanford while Anderson was a member of the athletic department at California. And Locksley is from Washington D.C. and has recruiting ties to the area.

Franklin's departure means that Maryland won't have to pay $1 million if he was not named head coach by the end of next season, giving the school some financial flexibility in looking for a possible replacement.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-17-2010, 10:04 PM
They are having trouble selling tickets to their bowl game in DC. It is like twenty minutes down the road from the University of Maryland.

F250MustangGuy
12-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Hiring a coach with a .46 winning percentage will not help them.

Leach would bring excitement to the program though. He had some great teams in the Big 12 South, he could easily maintain 10 wins a season in the ACC

REBEL5 AC
12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't understand why anyone would want Leach right now with what's going on with that lawsuit.

ACCFanInTraining
12-18-2010, 08:14 AM
I don't understand why anyone would want Leach right now with what's going on with that lawsuit.

seriously....

Bubba
12-18-2010, 08:32 AM

its about coaching and style of play. the lawsuit is between leach and ESPN. he can still coach. i think Leach is an excellent hire for any program. if his system can thrive in Lubbock Texas, it can thrive anywhere.

Optik
12-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Looks like it is happening...

Optik
12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Ralph Friedgen out as Maryland football coach
By Eric Prisbell and Steve Yanda
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, December 18, 2010; 6:34 PM

The University of Maryland has informed Ralph Friedgen that his 10-year tenure as head football coach is over and has asked him to accept a buyout of his contract, two people familiar with the situation said Saturday.

The decision brings to an end Friedgen's run at his alma mater in which he recorded 31 victories in his first three years, bringing Maryland football to national prominence, and led the team to seven bowl appearances.

If Friedgen refuses to retire, the school would have to pay Friedgen about $2 million to buy out the remaining year on his contract. Friedgen has not made a decision on whether to accept the buyout offer, one individual close to Friedgen said, and no deadline has been established for Friedgen to make a decision.

Kevin Anderson, Maryland's first-year athletic director, said to expect an announcement regarding the football program's future early in the week.

When asked Friday if Friedgen would return, Anderson paused for a few seconds before saying: "I will sit down and everybody will understand where we are going and how we are moving with the program. At this point in time, I am not going to answer that question."

The source close to Friedgen, who like others contacted for this story insisted on anonymity because an official announcement has yet to be made, said Maryland has asked Friedgen to coach in the Military Bowl at RFK Stadium on Dec. 29. A school spokesman said that, at the moment, Friedgen is expected to coach in the game, but the person close to Friedgen said that Friedgen remains undecided.

Anderson addressed the Maryland football team at a team meeting Friday night, the individual said. Several Maryland players asked the athletic director who is their head coach and Anderson responded that he did not know at that moment.

When Friedgen's departure is announced, former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach will immediately emerge as the clear front-runner to replace Friedgen. There is mutual interest between Leach and Maryland, according to three people, two of whom are close to Maryland and one of whom is close to Leach.

When reached on his cellphone Friday, Leach said that Maryland had yet to contact him.

Leach is said to be very interested in the job. He has a strong relationship with Kevin Plank, a former Maryland football player who sits on the school's board of trustees and whose apparel company, Under Armour, is the outfitter for the school's athletic teams.

Meantime, four Maryland assistants are deciding whether to accept offers to join James Franklin, Maryland's former offensive coordinator and head coach-in-waiting, on Vanderbilt's coaching staff, according to a person with direct knowledge of the offers. Those assistants are defensive coordinator Don Brown, running backs coach John Donovan, wide receivers coach Lee Hull and special teams coach Charles Bankins. Contract negotiations were expected to begin Saturday for those who accept.

Maryland is making an attempt to try to convince Brown to stay, a source familiar with the situation said, adding that Brown has a relationship with Leach.

Friedgen, who had a 74-50 record in 10 seasons, struggled in recent years to match his initial success at the helm of the team. He was nearly fired after a 2-10 season in 2009. In 2010, he orchestrated the second-biggest turnaround among major football teams in the country, leading the Terrapins to an 8-4 record and their seventh bowl game in Friedgen's 10 seasons. He won the ACC Coach of the Year Award for the second time.

But the program has been plagued by attendance issues in recent years. Season ticket sales have declined for five straight seasons. Maryland fell more than $500,000 short of season ticket sales projections in each of the past two seasons. And only once this season did fans fill Byrd Stadium to 75 percent capacity.

Despite finishing in a three-way tie for third in the ACC, Maryland fell to the eighth slot in the ACC bowl pecking order in large part because bowl officials were concerned about how well Maryland fans would travel to a bowl game.

Friedgen has repeatedly said that he wanted to coach beyond 2011, and he had been telling high school prospects that he planned to coach them for the majority of their college careers. Anderson had announced Nov. 18 that Friedgen would return in 2011.

But when Franklin accepted the Vanderbilt job last week, it enabled Maryland to save $1 million that the school would have owed Franklin had he remained at Maryland and not been named head coach by January 2012.

Anderson said Franklin's departure changes the way he looks at the football program now. Anderson said Friday that he and Friedgen had already talked about the program's future, adding: "I will tell you by early next week, our discussions are way ahead, and we will be able to comment further on that next week."

I have also heard that Leach is already contacting some Maryland recruits, but that could just be heresay. Either way, Ralph is out and Leach is in.

ACCFanInTraining
12-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Step backwards turtles

georgiaguy31015
12-19-2010, 06:46 AM
I thought it was kind of cold to do Friedgen that way but I also understand football is a business. As for Leach I actually think it's a decent hire it's a lot better than Willingham. It will be interesting to see what happens.

ECDawg78
12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
December 18, 2010

Source: Mike Leach is the next head coach at Maryland

by Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

Mike Leach is going to be the next head coach at Maryland, a key Big 12 source told Orangebloods.com.

The Mad Pirate resurfaces.

When Maryland coach-in-waiting James Franklin took the Vanderbilt job last week, it apparently spelled the end for current Maryland head coach Ralph Friedgen in the mind of new Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson, my source said.

Maryland (8-4) faces East Carolina (6-6) on Dec. 29 in the Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman. And after going 2-10 in 2009, Friedgen was named the ACC Coach of the Year by the 61-member Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association for this season's turnaround.

But when Maryland AD Kevin Anderson was asked about Friedgen's future last week, he told reporters, "Next week, everyone will understand where we're going."

Where Maryland is going is on a carpet ride with Mike Leach, according to my source. Friedgen, who is 74-49 in 10 seasons at Maryland with seven bowl berths, is expected to take a buyout to step down, the source said.

Hold on tight Terps' fans.

Leach will no longer be in a remote media market. He'll be in the Washington, D.C., area.

At Texas Tech, he didn't allow more than two players to talk to the media on a weekly basis. And even though Leach was very accessible to the media, his players weren't. Some of them came to resent it.

Linebacker Marlon Williams, a key leader on defense in 2009, even blasted Leach on Twitter for being late to meetings.

Being closer to a major media market, Leach's approach may have to change. It's doubtful, because Leach does things his way. But we'll see.

And, of course, there's still Leach's litigation against Texas Tech, seeking the $10 million he feels he's owed for the final four years of the contract he was fired from at Tech on Dec. 30, 2009. (Leach earned a law degree from Pepperdine University before becoming a football coach.)

That case is tied up in appeals (Tech has appealed a ruling that the university waived its sovereign immunity protection by its conduct in Leach's firing. A ruling is pending from the 7th Court of Appeals in Amarillo, Texas.)

Tech fired Leach for insubordination (days before he was to receive an $800,000 bonus) after Leach filed for an injunction to coach in the Alamo Bowl.

Tech had suspended him from coaching in the game while investigating complaints Leach mistreated receiver Adam James, the son of ESPN analyst Craig James. Leach has denied any wrongdoing.

Ugly legal wrangling, depositions and leaked post-game videos of Leach showing him in a negative light left Tech fans divided. A group of Tech fans called "Team Leach" continues to blast the school's administration and anyone who criticizes the former Tech coach.

Last month, Leach also sued ESPN and a public relations firm, accusing them of libel and slander in connection with the way ESPN reported charges that he mistreated Adam James.

While Leach can be a human resources wild card, no one can dispute Leach's wild success offensively with his spread passing attack, which led the nation in passing six of Leach's final eight seasons in Lubbock.

After 10 seasons at Tech, Leach left as the winningest coach in the program's history (84-43) and never had a losing record.

Along the way, he professed his love of pirates, actively sought a friendship with Donald Trump and blamed a loss to Texas A&M in 2009 on his players' "fat little girlfriends."

One thing is sure: for better or worse, life will never be boring at Maryland with Mike Leach.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1166968

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
12-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm hearing Leach is a done deal. Anyone else hear this?

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Looks like ECDawg did haha

Wave&Dawgs
12-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Good for Leach. I like him alot and feel he was done unfairly at TT. I hope he succeeds at Maryland.

Bubba
12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm happy for leach. He ll consistently win the acc after he installs his system and players.

joehogjoe
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm happy for leach. He ll consistently win the acc after he installs his system and players.

just like he consistantly won the Big 12, I don't think so. His offense might be explosive but his defenses always sucked. VT will kick him to the curb.

GR8NESS
12-20-2010, 11:22 AM
84-43 at Texas Tech is pretty damn good for that place. He's gonna do well.

UK'sRash
12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
NCAA football can always use more Mike Leach. Go Terrapins.

Just Some Hog Dude
12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
He will do better at Maryland than Texas Tech I bet. It is a more attractive destination for recruits.

F250MustangGuy
12-20-2010, 03:05 PM
84-43 at Texas Tech is pretty damn good for that place. He's gonna do well.

Especially in that division.

ugabrad
12-20-2010, 06:21 PM
"the lawsuit is between leach and ESPN."

Which pretty much guarantees that any future employer is going to get bad press...

F250MustangGuy
12-20-2010, 07:56 PM
"the lawsuit is between leach and ESPN."

Which pretty much guarantees that any future employer is going to get bad press...

He would just sue them again

Bama_Man
12-20-2010, 08:34 PM
just like he consistantly won the Big 12, I don't think so. His offense might be explosive but his defenses always sucked. VT will kick him to the curb.

I agree 100%. Leach has never shown the ability to:
Win big games
Have a successful defense.

Maryland is not Texas Tech. Texas Tech is in Texas, and gets decent recruits because of its location. Maryland does not enjoy the same perks. Its a basketball school in a basketball area.

VT is a powerhouse, FSU is on the upswing, GT is a very solid program. Leach will NOT come in and dominate the ACC, thats silly to say. No way that happens immediately.

F250MustangGuy
12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree 100%. Leach has never shown the ability to:
Win big games

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/t1_crabtreetexas.jpg

ACCFanInTraining
12-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Leach will win consistently against the lower to mid ACC teams. I think he will have initial success against the upper ACC teams, but after a season or two, all the DC's will figure out how to handle his system and he'll go 8-4 every year.

Wouldn't want to recruit for Maryland now. How do you guarantee parents he won't lock your kids up in a closet?

ACCFanInTraining
12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
On the other hand, I would love to have Friedgen as our OC.

BergeLSU
12-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Has a school ever fired a coach after being named the conference coach of the year before?

Fire Crowton, Hire Friedgen

Just Some Hog Dude
12-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Maryland must be looking at Malzahn now.

ACCFanInTraining
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Maryland hires Edsall from UCONN. It is his dream job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5985237

Cuz
01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.phrenicea.com/edsel.jpg

Optik
01-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Thank god they were wrong, right? Hideous vehicle.

Cuz
01-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Thank god they were wrong, right? Hideous vehicle.

I concour.