Da'quan Bowers wins Nagurski Award [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Da'quan Bowers wins Nagurski Award

ACCFanInTraining
12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Congrats!
http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=9183

Clemson end Da'Quan Bowers claimed the 2010 Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which annually is awarded to the best defensive player in college football.

Bowers became the 18th winner of the award as voted upon by the Football Writers Association of America. He received the award on Monday night at a banquet at the Westin Hotel that is sponsored by the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The four other finalists were Auburn tackle Nick Fairley, Georgia linebacker Justin Houston, Boston College linebacker Luke Kuechly and LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson.

Bowers is the first Clemson player to be named a finalist for the Nagurski Award since the late Gaines Adams in 2006 when Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis claimed the trophy. Bowers wears the same No. 93 that Adams wore at Clemson. The two players were close friends until Adams, who played for the Chicago Bears, sudden death last January in South Carolina.

Bowers broke Adams' Clemson school record for sacks by a defensive lineman this season week when he had a sack at Florida State late in the season. He also broke Adams' record for consecutive games with a sack, with nine straight in 2010.

Bowers' father, Dennis, passed away in the summer before the season. The two had bonded during the summer playing in a rock band on the road.

"I have dedicated this year to my dad," Bowers said during the season. “We had many talks on the road this past summer about being in the best shape to improve my quickness and doing all the little things to have a great season in 2010."

Bowers, a 6-4, 275-pound junior from Bamberg, S.C., is a big-play pass rusher who led the nation in quarterback sacks with 15.5 (1.29 a game). He was second in the country in tackles for loss with 24.5 (151 yards). He had nine tackles, one quarterback sack, two tackles for loss and a pass interception in the Tigers' 16-13 loss to Florida State.

Bama_Man
12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Good, he deserved it. He is a freaking beast and a first round draft pick.

SECgamecock453
12-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Congrats.

Bama_Man
12-08-2010, 03:44 PM
A SCAR fan congradulating a Clemson player? wow

Well I guess since you are a master of karate and friendship for everyone, you have to congratulate everyone

ChickenCurse
12-08-2010, 03:50 PM
He deserved it. Clemson pwns. Thanks for the link ACCfan.

SECgamecock453
12-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I only do it because fans like ACCFIT make me feel bad if I don't. He congratulated Lattimore for winning SEC Freshman of the Year. I returned the favor. Trolls like ChickenCurse I could care less about though.

ACCFanInTraining
12-11-2010, 11:37 PM
I only do it because fans like ACCFIT make me feel bad if I don't. He congratulated Lattimore for winning SEC Freshman of the Year. I returned the favor. Trolls like ChickenCurse I could care less about though.

lol! If it makes you feel better I said Lattimore didn't deserver 2nd team All American :)

Now the world is right