Miami fires R. Shannon [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Miami fires R. Shannon

Bama_Man
11-27-2010, 10:52 PM
ESPN is reporting that Miami has fired coach Randy Shannon, who went 28-22 in his four seasons with the Hurricanes.

dnmuga93
11-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Cue up the Richt rumors...

Just Some Hog Dude
11-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Gus Malzahn

boxvic
11-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Joker Phillips! Please oh please take him!

To steal the old joke...

You think your coach is bad? Take my coach... no seriously take my coach!

Bama_Man
11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Mark Whipple, the OC, is gone as well

IllinoisDawg63
11-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Watch Kiffin throw his name in there....since he's on probation at USCwest.

GR8NESS
11-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Bring him to Lexington for 400k to coach the damn defense.

UK'sRash
11-27-2010, 11:58 PM
I can't believe he only had one arrest in 4 years. He really cleaned up the image of Miami.

GatorMan32
11-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Miami cannot afford a big name coach. Don't know who they can get but it won't be Richt, Leach, etc.

GatorMan32
11-28-2010, 12:06 AM
wish i could find the old threads where i said Shannon would fail at Miami and that he was a mediocre coach and people got on me and said i did not know what i was talking about. but the recent changes seem to have gotten rid of a lot of old threads. shame. i am sure this will help Randy more than we'll ever know, though LOL

boxvic
11-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Bring him to Lexington for 400k to coach the damn defense.

400K? Hell pay him more than Joker. He would do more coaching anyway.

IllinoisDawg63
11-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised they go after Skip Holtz or Charlie Strong myself.

Doyle Hargraves
11-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Miami cannot afford a big name coach. Don't know who they can get but it won't be Richt, Leach, etc.

What about Mal-A-Zahn? :think:

HeyBulldog
11-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Cue up the Richt rumors...Some even from NON-Georgia fans.

georgiaguy31015
11-28-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm not shocked that he got fired. I'm shocked that they fired him now. It's not like Miami was terrible this year.

GatorMan32
11-28-2010, 01:19 AM
What about Mal-A-Zahn? :think:

AU could pay him more to be OC than Miami could pay him to be HC.

Djshockley3
11-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Bad move.

Friedchickenman
11-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Did any of you watch the Iron Bowl, I know I wouldn't want that offense (from the 1st half), Miami should do the smart thing and leave Malzahn be.

Friedchickenman
11-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Besides actually it's past time for Petrino to make his next coaching move...Petrino to Canes?

Doyle Hargraves
11-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Besides actually it's past time for Petrino to make his next coaching move...Petrino to Canes?

If'n they cain't afford Gus Mal-A-Zahn, they sure as hell won't be able to afford BMFP!

AR is afix'n to make BMFP one of the highest paid HC's in the game... Or else, Jeff Long (AD) is afix'n to be fired! :D

:cheers:

Doyle Hargraves
11-28-2010, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised they go after Skip Holtz or Charlie Strong myself.

In all honesty, Skip Holtz is a very good 'up-and-coming' HC that will be something special if'n he's given the chance at running a "bigtime program".

:think:

Just Some Hog Dude
11-28-2010, 03:19 AM
Skip would be a great hire for Miami. I am hoping Malzahn for selfish reasons. I don't know if he would fit in well at Miami though. He is more of a Clemson guy. :)

Doyle Hargraves
11-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Skip would be a great hire for Miami. I am hoping Malzahn for selfish reasons. I don't know if he would fit in well at Miami though. He is more of a Clemson guy. :)

Personally, I think Vandy would be a good fit for Mal-A-Zahn. He started his HCing career at a private HS and that's really what made him famous (his Offensive scheme was made famous for getting big results outta lesser-type athletes). Vandy is close to his only known recruiting base (AR). And he'd be bringing Kiehl Frazier with him... Having a "big time" QB is a good start for any HC/Program. I could see Mal-A-Zahn raking up the 'leftovers' from the states of AR and TN and coaching them into one helluva potent Offense. Vandy has always had a decent Defense, so the HC/Schools rep would seem to compliment each other. The only thing I wonder about is if'n Gus has the kind of college ties that it would take to fill out a major CFB staff? :think:

2008 National Champions
11-28-2010, 03:36 AM
That sucks, I was hoping they would keep him around... :)

Somewhere Larry Coker is loling.

2008 National Champions
11-28-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm not shocked that he got fired. I'm shocked that they fired him now. It's not like Miami was terrible this year.

They were 7-5... Not terrible by South Florida standards. But by Miami standards, that doesnt cut it. Especially now that he is like 4 or 5 years in or something.

Funny thing is they just gave him an extension before the season began. lol Fail.

Doyle Hargraves
11-28-2010, 03:59 AM
They were 7-5... Not terrible by South Florida standards. But by Miami standards, that doesnt cut it. Especially now that he is like 4 or 5 years in or something.

Funny thing is they just gave him an extension before the season began. lol Fail.

So, exactly what kind of $$$ figures are we talking when discussing a new HC?

Just Some Hog Dude
11-28-2010, 04:06 AM
Kiel Frazier was at our game. I don't know if he was there for us or LSU but that has to concern Auburn.

2008 National Champions
11-28-2010, 04:11 AM

At Miami? I have no ****ing clue.

Stop confusing me with GM32. :)

Doyle Hargraves
11-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Kiel Frazier was at our game. I don't know if he was there for us or LSU but that has to concern Auburn.

That don't say sh*t! That kid is going to follow his fb disciple, no matter what happens from this point forward! :rolleyes:

georgiaguy31015
11-28-2010, 07:51 AM

That extention is one of the reasons why I'm surprised actually it's the main reason that and like I said it's not like they had a losing season this year. It will be interesting to see who they get.

rolling baby
11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
wish i could find the old threads where i said Shannon would fail at Miami and that he was a mediocre coach and people got on me and said i did not know what i was talking about. but the recent changes seem to have gotten rid of a lot of old threads. shame. i am sure this will help Randy more than we'll ever know, though LOL

I don't remember this.

Oh, and Shannon getting fired? I'm shocked......NOT

Optik
11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
A screen shot of the Rivals Miami board :D :
http://i54.tinypic.com/okv91k.png

I like Razor Ramon or Morty Seinfeld for the job myself. :rotf:

GatorMan32
11-29-2010, 11:44 AM

I believe Miami at least until recently was paying Coker still. Now they will have to pay Shannon his money after the extension (LOL). Miami does not get money from NFL guys. They don't have their own stadium, they don't sellout games, they don't get major donations. They are in a financial jam every year without paying former coaches. That is how they got stuck with Shannon. Anything is possible, I suppose, but would be stunned if Miami had money to pay a coach more than a million a year if even that. No big name coach will come for 6 figures.

rolling baby
11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Miami does get $$$ from former players. Miami has one of the best player alum networks out there, as a matter of fact.

Optik
11-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I believe Miami at least until recently was paying Coker still. Now they will have to pay Shannon his money after the extension (LOL). Miami does not get money from NFL guys. They don't have their own stadium, they don't sellout games, they don't get major donations. They are in a financial jam every year without paying former coaches. That is how they got stuck with Shannon. Anything is possible, I suppose, but would be stunned if Miami had money to pay a coach more than a million a year if even that. No big name coach will come for 6 figures.

I agree. Without some increased alumni support, this was a HORRIBLE decision by Miami. They are going to have to really shop for the next coach, I doubt they even get some equal to Shannon this go around. Big, big mistake.

rolling baby
11-29-2010, 12:19 PM
People forget 2006 was a shallow year for coaching candidates unlike this season.

GatorMan32
11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
rb, i know people close to that program, they are either FOS or Miami does not make the money you seem to think they do.

Optik
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
People forget 2006 was a shallow year for coaching candidates unlike this season.

This season is deep? Who? Skip Holtz I can see and Gus too. Who else? More importantly, who else that they have a chance at? Gus isn't coming, Gruden is a pipe dream, and Holtz is better off at USF.

rolling baby
11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
rb, i know people close to that program, they are either FOS or Miami does not make the money you seem to think they do.

I know Miami isn't flushed with $$$ but to say players don't give back strikes me as preposterous. UM alum are known to return to Coral Gables in the off-season and work out.

rolling baby
11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
This season is deep? Who? Skip Holtz I can see and Gus too. Who else? More importantly, who else that they have a chance at? Gus isn't coming, Gruden is a pipe dream, and Holtz is better off at USF.

Gus Malzahn, the coach at Nevada, the one at SDSU is another to keep an eye on, Al Golden, Mike Mullen---and that's the college coaches.

Folks like Herm Edwards, and that dude that just got fired at Minnesota are also worth looking at.

Just Some Hog Dude
11-29-2010, 12:55 PM
I don't envision Chris Ault at Miami. I think he is in his seventies.

ChickenCurse
11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
I think Shannon's biggest mistake was hanging his hat on Jacory Harris and his group of buddies he brought over with him. I know they managed to beat Dabo and co. this year, but Harris is an idiot QB.

ugabrad
11-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't envision Chris Ault at Miami. I think he is in his seventies.

Agreed, Ault is already in the hall of fame. I can't picture a man at his age being willing to rip up his roots and head across the country to a school known for firing successful coaches.

GatorMan32
11-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Chicken curse, said that a million times too. Harris has a weak arm and makes poor decisions.

GatorMan32
11-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I know Miami isn't flushed with $$$ but to say players don't give back strikes me as preposterous. UM alum are known to return to Coral Gables in the off-season and work out.

I guess I was overly simplistic to make a point. The point is they don't give enough to overcome the lack of revenue in other areas. Also some guys go back and workout and are around the program but don't exactly open the checkbook while others can be generous. But to run their program and pay a big time coach and pay Shannon, they need a HUGE additional source of money to show up.

Heck Pup
11-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I wish I could find the old threads where i said Shannon would fail at Miami and that he was a mediocre coach and people got on me and said i did not know what i was talking about. but the recent changes seem to have gotten rid of a lot of old threads. shame. i am sure this will help Randy more than we'll ever know, though LOL

I specifically remember that thread. I believe my assessment of Shannon was that he was mediocre at best and a complete moron at worst.

Watched the 30 for 30 "Duh U" last night again. I think ESPN played it just for the Shannon firing. Still amazed at the Butch Davis bashing in that movie. The year after he left the team he was able to assemble won a NC for Coker and played for another the following season where they were robbed by Ohio State. I think Luke and all the other thugs want to tarnish Davis' image because he made an effort to clean up the program somewhat.

Part of me wants Miami to get their act together so they can steal some UF recruits, but watching that ESPN film makes me glad they are washed up.

2008 National Champions
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I heard UM offered Gruden over 3m...

GatorMan32
11-29-2010, 07:41 PM
The same rumor said it was a done deal that he accepted and yet he turned them down in a very public way. Rumors are rumors.

OffThePorch
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
im surprised Diaz isnt on the list.. im glad as i hope we can keep him long term (i doubt it)

2008 National Champions
11-29-2010, 08:18 PM
On local radio today they were saying UM should go after Dan Mullen.

That would be interesting.

OffThePorch
11-29-2010, 08:22 PM
On local radio today they were saying UM should go after Dan Mullen. That would be interesting.

Cant blame them. imo he only goes back to Florida if its to UF. the only other way id see him leaving is for a much better job.. like BAMA or UGA or LSU in the SEC or Notre Dame, Texas out of the SEC. I figure he will be hired away in time.. hopefully we can stay within at that time & keep on track.

Heck Pup
11-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I heard UM offered Gruden over 3m...

I heard a few rumors* about Randy Shannon when he began his coaching career under Erickson.

*$$$$$$$

GatorMan32
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I stand corrected. Apparently Miami has received enough via pledges from boosters to make a play for a big name coach. Just want to admit my error.

Optik
12-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I stand corrected. Apparently Miami has received enough via pledges from boosters to make a play for a big name coach. Just want to admit my error.

So basically, enough UM boosters got together so that they can pay Gruden for 2 or 3, maybe 4, years so he can use UM as a stepping stone back to the NFL? Cool, it won't change Miami's standing in the long run. I still say they are simply staving off inevitably being eclipsed in South FL by USF.

I bet they still don't get him. IF they do, I want to go ahead and go on record now saying that it won't be worth whatever they have to pay him.

GatorMan32
12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Well I did not say it would be for Gruden. Just a high priced coach. We'll see who.

georgiaguy31015
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
According to ESPN sources there is a 0% chance that Gruden will be the coach and that was after the meeting the two sides had today. If that is true then I guess Mullen is next.

Optik
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Well I did not say it would be for Gruden. Just a high priced coach. We'll see who.

True...I still don't think they land someone who will turn that program around. Too tall an order and any coach that is really capable of doing it isn't bringing their talents to South Beach.

Speaking of, I won't believe these rumors until ESPN airs Jon Gruden: The Decision. :D