Minnesota Golden Gophers & Tubby Smith Thread (Season Four) [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Golden Gophers & Tubby Smith Thread (Season Four)

kentubbybasketball
11-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Season four got off to an awesome start with a 14 point win over a sneaky good Wofford team that has three native Minnesotans on its roster. That could have easily been a loss, especially without perhaps our best player Devoe Joseph, who is suspended.

451 career wins for Tubby. Most active seasons with 20 wins than anybody actively (17 seaosns and counting).

Cuz
11-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Season four got off to an awesome start with a 14 point win over a sneaky good Wofford team that has three native Minnesotans on its roster. That could have easily been a loss, especially without perhaps our best player Devoe Joseph, who is suspended.

451 career wins for Tubby. Most active seasons with 20 wins than anybody actively (17 seaosns and counting).

Should I put on my Golden Gopher T-shirt. Yeah Gophers. Baylie and I usually spend two weeks a year or every other year in Minnesota. It feels like another home to us. And no, we do not go there in the Winter. Today in Rochester, where we go, they have snow. Augusta will be close to 70.

kentubbybasketball
11-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I think there was a threat of a winter storm in Minneapolis today. Oh yeah, I'd wear my Gopher proudly, BTW.

Storm
11-14-2010, 07:39 AM
i can't believe it's been 4 years already.

kt, what do you think Beilein needs to do this year to save his job. I don't see them competing for much this season, other than a small sense of pride. I've been pretty disappointed in the recruiting, we seem to have nothing right now. ALthough he did just land two top 100 recruits for next season.

kentubbybasketball
11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but it seems like Tubby was just our coach at Kentucky just yesterday. Yet, it seems like he hasn't been our coach at Minnesota for that long.

Beilen's recruiting isn't ever gonna draw top 100 players consistently. It seems like he's doing what Ben Howland is doing at UCLA and what Billy D did at Florida with those guys that won the titles by recruiting guys who's fathers were pros. He has Hardaway and Horford for instance. To answer you question, Beilen just got an extension during last season, so I wouldn't think Michigan is at a place where they could just let him go after this year, so he may not necessarily have to do anything to save that job. For his sake you hope not, because they are gonna finish in the bottom three of the Big Ten likely this year with Iowa and Penn State. They weren't that good with Manny Harris and DeShawn Sims, and I shudder to think what it'll be like even without those guys. What worked for Beilen at West Virginia was that he had some great shooters in Pittsnoggle, Gansey, and his own son Beilen. His guys at Michigan aren't at that level of shooting. Gibson, Douglass, Cronin, Novak, etc... all those guys can shoot from time to time, but none are noted shooters.

Just as its Tubby's fourth year at Minnesota, it's also John Beilen's at Michigan, and I think he won't be fired, because of the contract situation I mentioned above. However, he's gotta show some improvement on the court this year, maybe not in win totals, but he's gotta give the people hope that something is bright for the future and having those two top 100s coming is one way to show that there is hope for the future.

XPS
11-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Huge win for Tubby and Minn!

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Obviously so, but as Tubby said before the game it's just UNC. We expect to win these games, afterall, we have what we think is the best coach in the country. When talent is even (and it wasn't in this game), I'm going with Tubby every single time. I really like the makings of this team. And, Tubby beat UNC without his best offensive player in Devoe Joseph. What we did was we set high screens for Al Nolen and he got around UNC. Blake Hoffarber is the best shooter Tubby has ever coached and the best in Minnesota history. That three he hit before the halftime buzzer was huge, and really was key, as Minnesota was never down in the second half because of it. Imagine if we would've had Trevor Mbakwe last year. Dude is a double double machine, and obviously, Ralph Sampson has really improved. I wish he would hit the jump hook like Tyler Zeller was. Austin Hollins has been very impressive with his ability as a frosh early on, so to has Chip Armelin... as neither is bashful at all, which is what we've lacked at Minny in years past. And, Rodney Williams is probably the best athlete in this entire tournament.

Plus, we had a lot of size and that's one of UNC's weaknesses that everybody knew about, but it was exposed last night. I think this was a bad matchup for UNC since they are so thin in numbers inside, yet Minny not only as size, but it has good size.

What makes this win even sweeter is that we beat Harrison Barnes, since we were good enough for him to come here.... not only that this Preseason All-American couldn't even make a field goal. I think that has taken his name out of AA contention for the time being.

Like I said we expect to win these games. In November two years ago we handled Rick Pitino and Louisville, last year it was Bulter and Brad Stevens, and now UNC and Roy Williams. With Tubby, we go into every game with a chance. Cry baby Roy was outcoached by Tubby yet again. Satisfaction? Oh yeah!

UA37
11-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Congrats Gophers! It's always good to see Tubby win.

kentubbybasketball
11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Yep it certainly is. I think there's satisfaction for any Tubby fan when he beats Roy, Pitino, or Izzo (something he's done to each since he's been at Minny).

Now we've gotta focus on West Virginia for the championship. We haven't faced Hugs since he's been at West Virginia. It'll be interesting because our 2-3 zone helped us beat Western Kentucky and North Carolina, but Hugs has shown he can use a zone too (see the Elite 8 game against UK last year). Should be a good one with two guys who coach tough teams. With a win, either team might be ranked next week, but I think even with a loss Minny will be in the top 25.

kentubbybasketball
11-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, we just beat West Virginia (sliced that same 1-3-1 that UK couldn't slice last year). SO, we are the Puerto Rico Classic Champions. I don't think Tubby ever won one of these early season tourneys while at Kentucky, so that's another feather in his cap, that'll help with recruiting certainly.

What can you say about Trevor Mbakwe and Blake Hoffarber. I don't think Tubby has had a guy that good at the 4 since Chuck Hayes, and Blake is the country's best shooter if you ask me. Being left-handed only adds to it.

We may go undefeated throughout the OOC season now, because our hard games are out the picture now. St. Joe's could be tough, although they have struggled something bad to start this season. Our team is so deep, that you can't just take away one thing and still feel good about your chances IMO.

Wins over Wofford, Siena, Western Kentucky, UNC, and West Virginia... none of these are cupcakes and each team has a good chance at the NCAAT. Good strength of schedule.

So glad you're here Tubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weegeman
11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Congrats to Tubby for winning the Puerto Rico Classic!

ugabrad
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
It's great to see young Ralph Sampson out there on the floor. I know that he was cherged up for the UNC game...

kentubbybasketball
11-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Boy was he. He said he's been waiting to play Carolina since he got to college. Ralph has really stepped it up this season. Obviously, he put a lot of offensive work in during the summer. I'm glad it's finally starting to come together for him. Him being able to play the 5 this year due to having Trevor Mbakwe at the 4 really helps Ralph's game too. He's more suited for the 5 than the 4.

kentubbybasketball
11-24-2010, 10:05 PM
We just beat North Dakota State to go to 6-0 on the season. We should be undefeated heading into the Big Ten season, which would be a first ever for Tubby I believe, heading into his conference season without a loss. That's just incredible. Year four is usually the year of a rebuilding job where you can really see where the program is gonna be. Tubby has his players in, everybody there was recruited by Tubby (although Nolen and Hoffarber were Monson recruits).

kentubbybasketball
11-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Blake Hoffarber's ankles (both of them) are hurting. Al Nolen likely won't play against Virginia, because he's got something wrong with his foot and not even Tubby knows what's wrong (it's not really a stress facture). Rodney Williams is also gonna not play due to some sort of injury. We're gonna start more frosh in this ACC/Big Ten game on Monday night now. Frustrating to deal with all these injuries, as our team is off to a 6-0 start.

GatorMan32
11-28-2010, 01:22 AM
We just beat North Dakota State to go to 6-0 on the season. We should be undefeated heading into the Big Ten season, which would be a first ever for Tubby I believe, heading into his conference season without a loss. That's just incredible. Year four is usually the year of a rebuilding job where you can really see where the program is gonna be. Tubby has his players in, everybody there was recruited by Tubby (although Nolen and Hoffarber were Monson recruits).

Minnetubbybasketball?

kentubbybasketball
11-28-2010, 08:52 AM
OH yeah. Big time Minnesota fan. I've always rooted for the Gophers, since that's my birthplace and my dad's family lives up there. But, with Tubby there it's so much easier to root for them, partially, because we are winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I a Gopher fan... oh yeah!

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Virginia Game

Tubby has his guys ready. Blake Hoffarber (the country's best shooter) has two threes so far. Minnesota lobs it at the rim, as good as any team. They had two lobs already in less than ten minutes. We're defending well, and that's leading to transition offense... this is the quintissential Tubby Smith team.

Devoe Joseph is back and Rodney Williams is actually playing. This team is so deep and Tubby still started two frosh tonight in Austin Hollins and Maverick Ahanmisi.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Minnesota 22
Virginia 12

This is the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I've always been a Tubby fan, he has Minnesota playing some very good basketball and has had them doing it since he's been there. This year may be special for him and that team.

kentubby, I think this has been asked before but I don't remember the answer, who would you pull for if UK played Minnesota?

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm amazed at how Tubby has developed Blake Hoffarber. As a frosh, he was a liability on D. Now, he's playing back up point guard, defends well, and is our best passer even at the two position. This is great.

Game on ESPN2. Might wanna check it out.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I've always been a Tubby fan, he has Minnesota playing some very good basketball and has had them doing it since he's been there. This year may be special for him and that team.

kentubby, I think this has been asked before but I don't remember the answer, who would you pull for if UK played Minnesota?

NO, that's never been asked before. The way I see it, I'd be happy and sad at the same time. Personally, I like Tubby Smith more than John Calipari (and I love Cal completely). But, in terms of programs I love Kentucky so much more, even though I love Minnesota too, my birthplace.

How's that for a non-answer? My plan is to root for both teams in the national championship game this year, and then I'd tell you who I'm rooting for.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:31 PM
IN all seriousness, I'm a UK fan first. If both are playing at the same time, I'd watch Kentucky. But, as UK fan, I'll always be appreciative of Tubby and root on his success no matter where he is, even if he coached Louisville.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:33 PM
We are going to have to value the ball more when we have possession of it. We're valuing it off the glass, but we gotta hold on to it on offense better.

Man, it's great to have Devoe back.

Minny 31 -23. UVa is staying in there with some nice shots from the wing.

NCMISSSTFAN
11-29-2010, 07:35 PM
IN all seriousness, I'm a UK fan first. If both are playing at the same time, I'd watch Kentucky. But, as UK fan, I'll always be appreciative of Tubby and root on his success no matter where he is, even if he coached Louisville.

Good answer lol.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Chip Armelin has been a nice revelation for us this season. He signed in like August and he's from Louisiana. He got the last rebound in the win over West Virginia, but he's forcing action too much in these last three sequences. He's shot the ball quickly, without letting the team get in its offense and went to the rack one time and lost handle of the ball. Lucky for him he made one of the shots, but he's not the one you want taking shots when you've got Devoe Joseph out there and Colton Iverson inside.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Minnesota up ten at the half, 39-29. Trevor Mbakwe is really blocking some shots out there. Devoe Joseph took that last shot way too early with 6 seconds left on the clock, lucky it didn't bite us in the butt.

Virginia is making its jump shots right now, after they settled down. It'll be interesting to see how Tubby puts the clamps down and if they can continue to shoot so well.

kentubbybasketball
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Mustafa Farrakhan is shooting lights out for UVa. They are only down five now. Man. He's a great shooter.