30 for 30: Marcus Dupree [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : 30 for 30: Marcus Dupree

Dawg in Dallas
11-10-2010, 12:02 PM
anyone see the episode? I was only 11 when Dupree was a freshman at OU in 1982, and obviously I was fascinated by another RB at that point in my life. However, the highlight films of him when he was a freshman were unbelievable.

I do take issue with some of the over the top descriptions of him, but was wondering if anyone has a more distinct memory of him...

dnmuga93
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I watched a fair amount of it last night as well. He was definitely a larger than life character with the jheri curl and the big glasses.

I was amazed to realize he was only 20 when he blew out his knee in the USFL.

joehogjoe
11-10-2010, 01:27 PM
DiD, he's simply the greatest running back I ever saw play. Granted he never played long term like Herchel Walker but I think Dupree was as capable. His top end speed was faster than the person behind him.

i did not get to see the whole episode and will catch it all later. He was a stud. His biggest problem was he was not very smart.

OffThePorch
11-11-2010, 12:40 AM
In high school & his freshmen year at OK.. when he was in shape & not hurt.. he was the best of the best.. a freak. Its too bad about the injuries & the leaches around him that gave him bad advice... im a big MD fan now as he came across as very humble. he loved his family. really good show.

Cap'n
11-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Great 30 for 30! I know several people who saw him play or played against him in high school. Awesome player. I was told he was faster than Herschel Walker, but bigger! Crazy! Coach Switzer is a moron for treating this guy like crap.

OffThePorch
11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Great 30 for 30! I know several people who saw him play or played against him in high school. Awesome player. I was told he was faster than Herschel Walker, but bigger! Crazy! Coach Switzer is a moron for treating this guy like crap.

Even he said that... his worst mistake as a Coach is what he said.

Cap'n
11-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Even he said that... his worst mistake as a Coach is what he said.
Yeah that's pretty sad. If you've got a star player like Marcus who came from a little town in Mississippi to play for your team way out in Oklahoma then as a coach you've got to baby him or at least treat him better than how he was treated.

BamaHoHo
11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Think about it Dupree , Herchel & Bo all came along about the same time from a not that far apart from each other.

Wave&Dawgs
01-03-2011, 02:09 PM
This one came back on yesterday and I caught it this time around. It was absolutely amazing. I never knew about this story at all before so I'm glad I got to watch it. Definitely one of the top 3-4 30 for 30's.

Djshockley3
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I need to watch this one, I have been watching some of the 30/30's. I watched 4 Days in October and Without Bias yesterday.

Carolina Razorback
01-03-2011, 07:49 PM
For the short amount of time he was at OU he dominated the Big 8. I remember he looked like a man among boys, almost like an NFL guy in college. I know he had injury problems and transferred, not sure what happened between him and Switzer.

Cuz
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
He was in the Herschel/Tebow mode. A player you knew was going to get the ball, yet you could not stop him. Sad that injuries never let him live up to his potential.