Clark kellogg, ben howland allegedly commit ncaa violations [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Clark kellogg, ben howland allegedly commit ncaa violations

XPS
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Allegations are surfacing that may have a Final Four coach and a Final Four broadcaster breaking NCAA rules.
CBS analyst Clark Kellogg, whose been a part of the television broadcast crew of the last two Final Fours, is alleged to have helped out in recruiting prospect Roberto Nelson (now at Oregon State) for Ohio State head coach Thad Matta. UCLA head coach Ben Howland is also alleged to have committed a violation regarding Nelson.
George Dohrmann, author of Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine, details the events in his book:
The Bruins recruited Roberto hard – they made phone calls, sent emails, scouted his AAU games – but as his junior year began, he had yet to be formally offered a scholarship. Coach Ben Howland told Bruce Nelson he was concerned about Roberto’s grades and wanted to see how he scored on the SAT. Howland’s hesitancy probably had more to do with wanting to see how Roberto and other players developed; no sense in offering him a scholarship before it was necessary. That didn’t stop Howard from committing an NCAA violation regarding permissible contact. In certain months, coaches are allowed to call a recruit or his family only once. In one of these months, and after a UCLA coach had already spoken to Roberto, Howland called Bruce. “I didn’t know it was him until I answered the phone because the number had a Santa Barbara area code,” Bruce said. “Ben said he was up in Santa Barbara visiting people, and we talked about maybe getting together while he was in town.” Howland had never called Bruce from a Santa Barbara number before. “I guess he knew that if used his UCLA phone, then people could find out he called me.”
Ohio State didn’t couch their interest in Roberto. Coach Thad Matta offered him a scholarship when he visited campus for the Ohio State-Michigan football game in November, and one of assistants began working with Bruce to make sure Roberto had the course credits he needed to be eligible to play for the Buckeyes as a freshman. He reviewed Roberto’s transcripts and advised Bruce on what summer school courses Roberto should take. Like UCLA, Ohio State also violated an NCAA rule pursuing Roberto: Former Ohio State player and CBS college basketball analyst Clark Kellogg called Bruce and lobbied on behalf of his alma mater. (As a former Ohio State player he was forbidden under NCAA guidelines from contacting recruits or their families.) “I heard that the missing piece to the puzzle was a kid in California,” Kellogg told Bruce.

http://collegebasketballtalk.com/909