Reggie Bush returns Heisman [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush returns Heisman

ugabrad
09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2012896017_apfbcheismanbush.html

Bush forfeits 2005 Heisman Trophy
Reggie Bush took the unprecedented step of giving back his Heisman Trophy on Tuesday, saying the scandal over improper benefits while he was a star running back at Southern California should not stain "the dignity of this award."

The article goes in depth on the situation. The one comment in it that I have a significant disagreement with is that of Johnny Rodgers: "It doesn't matter if he gives it back. Everyone still knows Reggie Bush was the best player that year. Look at the runs. He was clearly the best player," said Johnny Rodgers, 1972 Heisman winner from Nebraska. "O.J. Simpson got accused of a murder and they didn't take his back. That was a far greater allegation, and they didn't find O.J. guilty on that."

Johnny... in order to win the Heisman, you have to be eligible to play NCAA football. Reggie Bush was ineligible to play, according to the NCAA, and thus should not be allowed to keep the Heisman, IMO. The OJ situation has nothing to do with his Heisman trophy. OJ is not a man you would welcome into your family or house, but his transgressions had naught to do with his college football career.

HunkerDown
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I actually agree with Rodgers.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
To be fair to OJ, it was a crime of passion. It is not like dude is a cold blooded killer or something. Bush is probably not the only Heisman winner to have received improper benefits.

Nkemdiche4Heisman5
09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I feel for Bush.

Storm
09-14-2010, 08:50 PM
I hear Vince Young is changing his tune and saying he would accept it now. What a POS attention wh0re douche bag.

the end.

georgiaguy31015
09-15-2010, 06:35 AM
I hear Vince Young is changing his tune and saying he would accept it now. What a POS attention wh0re douche bag.

the end.

I don't think it matters what Young would do. If I'm not mistaken they wouldn't give it to anyone else anyway. They would just vacate it and not have a winner that year.

Storm
09-15-2010, 07:17 AM
I wish they would invite VY to NY like they were going to give it to him, and then point and laugh when he showed up.

RedNekTiger
09-15-2010, 08:27 AM
What is ironic is that in 2004, everyone in CA loved Bush and everyone in LA could not stand him. In 2010, everyone in LA loves Bush and CA cannot stand him.

joehogjoe
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
To be fair to OJ, it was a crime of passion. It is not like dude is a cold blooded killer or something. Bush is probably not the only Heisman winner to have received improper benefits.

right... next time use the sarcasm smilie.
cause that's one evil blank

UK'sRash
09-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Vince Young deserved the trophy in the first place. but i do feel for bush.

joehogjoe
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
until the NC game Young did not deserve it.

Bubba
09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
i think its bullshlt.

yeah usc had to forfit, bush was paid, etc etc.

but if he was on USC, TCU, or Kentucky. he was the best player in college football that/those years. its an individual award. doesnt matter who he played for imo.

ugabrad
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
It does matter if he was eligible to play or not. He wasn't.

I don't care who he played for, if he was an ineligible player he doesn't deserve the Heisman IMO.

Bubba
09-15-2010, 11:23 AM
ok, i agree. and ineligible player doesnt deserve the heisman.

Jimmy Reb
09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
No matter the outcome, Reggie won the Heisman that year, and that can not be erased.

fishntime
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
It does matter if he was eligible to play or not. He wasn't.

I don't care who he played for, if he was an ineligible player he doesn't deserve the Heisman IMO.

I agree. By rules he would of been ineligible so he does not get the Heisman. I don't feel sorry for him at all. He knew that he was breaking the rules. I hate a lot of the NCAA rules but they are rules and you got to follow them. These players know most of these rules and if they break them then I don't feel sorry for them.

fishntime
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
No matter the outcome, Reggie won the Heisman that year, and that can not be erased.

Looks like it was

Cuz
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
He was just using it for a doorstop anyway.

IllinoisDawg63
09-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Bush new every damn game he played he was inelgible....why the F have sorrow for him. By his selfishness, he F'd over numerous others. Southern Cal's image is tarnished for a long time by Bush's BS.

Storm
09-15-2010, 11:34 PM
not really. they still played all those games an won. same thing with Michigan and The Fab Five. I'm not going to pretend they didn't go to back to back Final Fours just because CWebb took some money.

The whole "let's just erase it from the record books" is a cop out. You can't erase that stuff from peoples mind.

REBEL5 AC
09-16-2010, 06:56 PM

the end.

Why do you hate Vince so much? Is it because he murdered Michigan defense in the Rose Bowl?

Anyways - I'm glad the Heisman Trust is vacating the trophy. I was a little disappointed that Vince actually wanted it in the first place. It's a tainted trophy.

Storm
09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
both teams defense got murdered in that game. you guys just had the ball last. ain't nothing to it.

just don't like the guy. it's not my job to like everyone.