I guess Boise St doesn't try to hard to play a tougher schedule [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : I guess Boise St doesn't try to hard to play a tougher schedule

Storm
09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne confirmed Saturday he has offered Boise State a 2-for-1 scheduling proposal.

The proposal calls for two games in Lincoln, and one in Bronco Stadium in Boise, Idaho, with the series starting in 2015, Osborne said. He said the proposal was extended to Boise State a couple of months ago.

“They haven’t taken us up on it,” Osborne said.

Osborne discussed the proposal Friday during an interview on an Idaho sports radio show.

Boise State athletic director Gene Bleymaier was unavailable for comment Saturday.

The Broncos finished with a record of 14-0 this season, including 8-0 in the Western Athletic Conference. Since the 2006 season, they are 49-4 overall and 31-1 in the WAC.

In Nebraska’s 2009 football media guide, the Huskers’ 2015 schedule lists nonconference games against Southern Mississippi (Sept. 5 in Lincoln) and at Miami (Sept. 19).

Jeff Jamrog, NU’s assistant athletic director for football, has said the Huskers’ overall scheduling philosophy essentially follows these guidelines:

1. Play a team from one of six Bowl Championship Series conferences every year. It’s usually a home-and-home series.

2. Find quality Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I-A) teams, preferably for a three-game series (two games in Lincoln, one away).

3. Fill in holes in the schedule with FBS teams willing to play on a one-time basis in Lincoln only. New Mexico State and San Jose State are recent examples.

4. “If all else fails, we’ll play a I-AA opponent, by default,” Jamrog said.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_889b87bc-1985-59e4-af2b-7c509472be21.html

Djshockley3
09-08-2010, 05:14 PM
They are bitches, what do you expect. They act like "everyone is scared to play us", its more like they are scared to play anyone.

SECgamecock453
09-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I'd like to see Boise's record after they played a season with our schedule.

Djshockley3
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I'd like to see Boise's record after they played a season with our schedule.

6-6....maybe 7-5. They would not hold up in the SEC.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Maybe they are insulted by that 2 for 1 crap.

Storm
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM
it's one thing to consider, JSHD. But Nebraska's reasoning is sound. They are not a BCS opponent so they are not going be treated as an equal. If they wanted the respect then these are the deals they need to take.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
it's one thing to consider, JSHD. But Nebraska's reasoning is sound. They are not a BCS opponent so they are not going be treated as an equal. If they wanted the respect then these are the deals they need to take.

Boise beat VT. Nebraska couldn't do it. I would tell them to jump in the lake too.

OffThePorch
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Boise is a good team... not great from what i saw. VTech wouldve been destroyed by BAMA...

Storm
09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Boise State is now keeping the "little guy" down.

Never again, Boise State.

I've always taken up your cause when power-conference teams have ducked you Smurf-Turf titans. Not anymore. Not since you began acting just like the snobs who have looked down their facemasks at the Broncos for years. Thanks to this Idaho flap, you've forfeited your right to ever complain about any program that -- due to fear, multinational conspiracy or a plain old lack of respect -- declines to schedule you.

You joined the Mountain West, Broncos, not the Skull and Bones. You're not too good to play Idaho, the in-state rival you've faced every year since 1971. You're certainly not too good to face the Vandals in Moscow (unofficial motto: It could be worse. You could be in Pullman.)

What would you hook-and-lateral lovers say if the chancellor of Nebraska or some other power-conference school said he wouldn't send his team and fans to Boise because he had an aversion to potential losses, tiny stadiums, miniscule television markets and comically colored playing surfaces? Oh, wait. That's what most of the power-conference schools do say. And you go crazy. You cry foul. You hold it up as another case of the man keeping the little guy down.

So how do you think Vandals fans felt this week when your president, Robert Kustra, described an away game in Moscow to the editorial board of the Idaho Statesman this week? "It's a culture that is nasty, inebriated and civilly doesn't give our fans the respect that any fan should expect when visiting an away team," Kustra said, according to the paper.

(I'll pause here to allow you to consider whether Kustra prefers to watch his games with a glass of chardonnay and a block of gruyere or a bottle of pinot noir and a wheel of brie.)

You Broncos claim to want to play big-time opponents. Then use the Vandals to practice for the inebriated, less-than-civil fans you'll see at better stadiums across the country. Heck, Kustra described 11 of the 12 fan bases in the SEC. In fact, most SEC players don't consider their careers complete unless their bus nearly gets overturned in Baton Rouge or someone flings bodily fluid at their coach's wife in Gainesville.

If you don't want to deal with drunk fans, then you'll have to schedule BYU 12 times a year. Unfortunately, Mountain West bylaws only allow you to play the Cougars once every regular season. So that's not an option.

Kustra explained his attack by pointing to a column that ran in The Argonaut, Idaho's student paper, titled, "Why do we hate?" Though the column was relatively tame, Kustra said it further reinforced his belief that Vandals fans have no respect for Broncos fans. He also said he couldn't tolerate the denigration of his school's academic programs by those ivory-tower elitists at the Harvard of the Palouse.

Thank goodness Kustra isn't president at Florida State. He'd probably try to cancel the Florida game. Or at Clemson, where he'd probably try to cancel the South Carolina series.

In fairness, Kustra did spend most of his career in Illinois politics and has never served at a university in a big-time football conference. So it's no surprise that he fails to understand that part of the joy of a rivalry is poking fun at the academic reputation of a rival. Clearly, he's never heard this old joke:

Q: Why do people go to [insert agricultural or similarly secondary state institution]?

A: Because they couldn't get into [insert flagship university].

Or maybe Kustra's protests are a smokescreen for the real reason you Broncos don't want to play the Vandals. Elsewhere in his comments to the Statesman board, Kustra gave another reason why he backed Boise State coach Chris Petersen's decision to discontinue the series. This one sounded a lot less whiny and a lot more like the ones we've heard from the schools that routinely flee from potential games against the Broncos.

"I guess [Idaho] coach [Robb] Akey would argue that if he upsets Boise State, then that's a really big deal, but why is that to Boise State's advantage?" Kustra told the Statesman.

It may only be coincidence, but these comments came after Akey led the Vandals to their best season since 1998. Boise State fans should remember 1998. It's the last season the Vandals beat the Broncos, and it capped a period in which Idaho went 15-2 against Boise State. Are the Broncos afraid Akey is building a competitive program in Moscow? Judging by last season's 63-25 margin, that's unlikely, so what's the harm in keeping an in-state rivalry alive?

Could it be that you Broncos, who now have one of the nation's best programs, have turned into the same kind of snobs you used to despise? It's quite a bit different when the cleat is on the other foot, isn't it?

So enjoy the hard-won spoils of your program's rise, Boise State. Go ahead and cancel the Idaho series after this season if you feel it suits your needs. But if you do, don't start whining when teams from richer conferences refuse to schedule you. We don't want to hear it.

You Broncos aren't scrappy underdogs anymore. You're now the man.

And you're trying to keep the little guy down.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/07/30/boise.state/index.html#ixzz0yybW8vNs

BergeLSU
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM

$$$$$$$$

Bronco Stadium holds 33,000 seats.
Memorial holds 81,000

If you are going to lose a home game, you need to guarantee that the lost revenue will come up from somewhere, otherwise, what is the point?

LSU only agreed to play Tulane at the Superdome because Tulane gave some of the ticket sales back to LSU.

"I guess [Idaho] coach [Robb] Akey would argue that if he upsets Boise State, then that's a really big deal, but why is that to Boise State's advantage?" Kustra told the Statesman.

LOVE this quote.

Storm
09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Boise beat VT. Nebraska couldn't do it. I would tell them to jump in the lake too.

so you endorse only needing to play 1 quality opponent per year to play in the NC game. Got it.

Storm
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM
$$$$$$$$

Bronco Stadium holds 33,000 seats.
Memorial holds 81,000

If you are going to lose a home game, you need to guarantee that the lost revenue will come up from somewhere, otherwise, what is the point?

LSU only agreed to play Tulane at the Superdome because Tulane gave some of the ticket sales back to LSU.

is it a hit worth taking in order to secure a better chance to play in a better bowl game at the end of the year? That's where they could recoup.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
so you endorse only needing to play 1 quality opponent per year to play in the NC game. Got it.

I didn't say that. I believe Boise State deserves more respect and consideration than that. Nebraska would never offer some crap like that to us.

Storm
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
I didn't say that. I believe Boise State deserves more respect and consideration than that. Nebraska would never offer some crap like that to us.

well duh. Did you read the article?

1. Play a team from one of six Bowl Championship Series conferences every year. It’s usually a home-and-home series.

what Arkansas would fall into

2. Find quality Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I-A) teams, preferably for a three-game series (two games in Lincoln, one away).

What BSU would fall into

3. Fill in holes in the schedule with FBS teams willing to play on a one-time basis in Lincoln only. New Mexico State and San Jose State are recent examples.

4. “If all else fails, we’ll play a I-AA opponent, by default,” Jamrog said.

what Ole Miss would qualify for

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Nebraska is the one that is scared. Scared on the home and home with Boise.

ugabrad
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Nebraska is the one that is scared. Scared on the home and home with Boise.

Now you're stretching things. Nebraska is the school that made the offer. Two games at their 80,000+ seat stadium in exchange for one at BSU's 33,000 seat stadium. That's a fair deal.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Now you're stretching things. Nebraska is the school that made the offer. Two games at their 80,000+ seat stadium in exchange for one at BSU's 33,000 seat stadium. That's a fair deal.

How in the heck is that fair? Home and home is fair.

Bama_Man
09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
this looks terrible on Boise, no matter how some can try to rationalize it.

playing Nebraska would give Boise a real shot at playing for a national title and beating one of the biggest names in CFB history.

If they truly want to be seen as elite, they should set up and play elite teams.
Nebraska is doing them a huge favor even sending out this proposal. So what its 2 for 1. BSU cries about how nobody will play them, teams are afraid to go there, etc...

Well, now Nebraska and Tommy O. are calling them out on it, and they refuse to step up to the plate.

Its WAY more risk for NEB than Boise, the 2-1 evens that out.

Bama_Man
09-08-2010, 06:57 PM

No, its not.

The risk NEB takes by scheduling Boise, giving BSU all kinds of money, national pub, the chance to beat a historical team, etc..

They are not in a BCS conference and are not traditionally a football power.

Nebraska is doing them a favor even offering to go to Boise once.

BleedPurpleandGold
09-08-2010, 07:12 PM

How old are you? It's all about the money and Boise doesn't have any nor can they provide it. A BCS school will lose a lot of money if they go play Boise at Boise. Boise is the one with everything to prove, they need to travel and play the big schools and try to get lucky and get into a BCS conference.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
How old are you? It's all about the money and Boise doesn't have any nor can they provide it. A BCS school will lose a lot of money if they go play Boise at Boise. Boise is the one with everything to prove, they need to travel and play the big schools and try to get lucky and get into a BCS conference.

They would not lose any more money playing a home and home with Boise than any other BCS team and everybody does that. Why does Boise get the raw deal exception?

lol

joehogjoe
09-08-2010, 07:29 PM

you are 100% correct and the others arguing against it are just jealous of the attention Boise St receives.

That Nebraska deal is insulting.

Just by the TV attention alone any team doing Boise St will make out fine.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I would be in favor of playing Boise home and home if they put in green turf. Being against the blue turf is a valid reason not to play Boise. This other crap is not.

Bama_Man
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
you are 100% correct and the others arguing against it are just jealous of the attention Boise St receives.

That Nebraska deal is insulting.

Just by the TV attention alone any team doing Boise St will make out fine.

hahahahahahaha

yeah, thats exactly whats going on.
Alabama and Florida fans are jealous of Boise State.

Explain to me how its insulting?

Nebraska is willing to go TO BOISE and play. Nebraska is doing them a huge favor even offering this deal. Boise is not in a BCS conference, any team going up there to play would lose a ****load of money against another home game or a game at a big school.

I cant understand how this is insulting towards BSU at all.
Nebraska is giving them an opportunity to come to Lincoln, make a truck full of money, and possibly win @ NEB.
And they are even willing to go up there and play once.

What is the guarantee BSU is good in 2-3 years? Whats the chances they are national title contenders again?
None, its all a crap shoot. Nebraska is willing to take that risk, Boise is not stepping up to the plate.

BleedPurpleandGold
09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
They would not lose any more money playing a home and home with Boise than any other BCS team and everybody does that. Why does Boise get the raw deal exception?

lol

I will use LSU for example, starting next year.

To pay the bills LSU must have 7 home games or at least 1 game at a neutral site like the Oregon game in Cowboys stadium next year that'll generate 3 or 4million like a home game would.

Oregon (Neutral site, guaranteed 3.5 to 4 mil)
Northwestern St. (Home game with non-BCS school, 3 mil)
Mississippi St. (Conference game at MSU)
West Virginia (Return game at WVU which is BCS school, 3 mil)
Kentucky (Conference home game)
Florida (Conference home game)
Tennessee (Conference game at UT)
Auburn (Conference home game)
Alabama (Conference game at UA)
Western Kentucky (Home game with non-BCS school, 3 mil)
Ole Miss (Conference game at UM)
Arkansas (Conference home game)

With 6 home games and 1 neutral site game with a BCS school, LSU will generate approximately 21 to 26 million. The other 5 away games consist of 4 conference games and one return game with a BCS school. The only place Boise would fit in this schedule would be if they replaced Nortwestern St or Western Kentucky and agreed to play at LSU. If LSU played at Boise instead of at home against say Northwestern state, LSU would only receive let's say 1 million as compared to getting 3 million by playing at home. That's 2 million dollars they have lost out on.

It's not going to happen!!! If this doesn't add up to you then you are either not intelligent enough to understand or just unwilling to comprehend.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Poor example. Teams play home and home with other teams all the time and still pay the bills. Nebraska and LSU are two of the richest programs and could certainly afford a home and home with Boise State.

BleedPurpleandGold
09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Poor example. Teams play home and home with other teams all the time and still pay the bills. Nebraska and LSU are two of the richest programs and could certainly afford a home and home with Boise State.

Yes, BCS schools play home and home with each other all the time because they can make the same money no matter the venue. 2 million is a lot of money and as an athletic director of a major school, you can't accept losing that money guaranteed.

I'm done explaining this to you though, it doesn't get any more obvious than this. You just aren't willing to understand.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, BCS schools play home and home with each other all the time because they can make the same money no matter the venue. 2 million is a lot of money and as an athletic director of a major school, you can't accept losing that money guaranteed.

I'm done explaining this to you though, it doesn't get any more obvious than this. You just aren't willing to understand.

Are you telling me PSU is getting paid money to play Alabama at home?

WouldE
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM

2/1 with Boise State playing in a 33K stadium? I'm surprised Nebraska even offered to play there at all. It's very generous for Nebraska to offer that.

Also factor in, by the time 2015 rolls around Boise State will be back to irrelevant.

BleedPurpleandGold
09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Are you telling me PSU is getting paid money to play Alabama at home?

Absolutely! But the catch here is Alabama will be returning that game or already has. I can't remember for sure, sorry!

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
2/1 with Boise State playing in a 33K stadium? I'm surprised Nebraska even offered to play there at all. It's very generous for Nebraska to offer that.

Why is the size of Boise State's stadium relevant to this discussion at all?

BleedPurpleandGold
09-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Why is the size of Boise State's stadium relevant to this discussion at all?

90,000 * $30 = $2,700,000

33,000 * $30 = $990,000

Ticket sales are what generate the revenue, you do the math.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 08:09 PM

33,000 * $30 = $990,000

What the heck does that have to do with playing a team in a home and home? You get the profits from your home game and they get the profits from theirs. That is how it works.

WVUfaninKY3
09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
JSHD, No you don't just get the profit from your home game and they get the profit from theirs. There is revenue sharing between the schools for every game that is held. I'm thinking the split is around 70home/30visitor for all net profit.

WVUfaninKY3
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM

33,000 * $30 = $990,000

and that's more like 40-50 bucks a game now...

georgiaguy31015
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Why should they make their schedule tougher? Especially if they get into the title game playing basically one tough game maybe two this year. Hell, if I were them I wouldn't either.

fishntime
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Maybe they are insulted by that 2 for 1 crap.

I agree. I think Boise St is not at a 2 for 1 things. They earn a 1 for 1 schedule. That is a joke of an offer. Nebraska throws out an offer that any top team would say no to and then go on a say they don't want to take it. Nebraska is getting better but maybe it should be 2 for 1 the other way.

I am a SEC guy but this bashing of Boise St is getting old. Every sport has one or two teams from a small conference that can play with the big boys. They luck out and get a really good coach and then recruit really well. They build a program. Can Boise St play with the SEC? I don't know but Boise seems to beat all the big boys when they get a chance. Maybe some of these SEC schools should schedule Boise St and then maybe we can get an answer.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-08-2010, 08:49 PM
JSHD, No you don't just get the profit from your home game and they get the profit from theirs. There is revenue sharing between the schools for every game that is held. I'm thinking the split is around 70home/30visitor for all net profit.

For real? Okay. It makes more sense now.

WVUfaninKY3
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
For real? Okay. It makes more sense now.

Yeah, that's why if you're going to take away a week of profit from Nebraska to go to a 33k seat arena they are asking for 2 years at theirs.

WouldE
09-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I agree. I think Boise St is not at a 2 for 1 things. They earn a 1 for 1 schedule. That is a joke of an offer. Nebraska throws out an offer that any top team would say no to and then go on a say they don't want to take it. Nebraska is getting better but maybe it should be 2 for 1 the other way.

I am a SEC guy but this bashing of Boise St is getting old. Every sport has one or two teams from a small conference that can play with the big boys. They luck out and get a really good coach and then recruit really well. They build a program. Can Boise St play with the SEC? I don't know but Boise seems to beat all the big boys when they get a chance. Maybe some of these SEC schools should schedule Boise St and then maybe we can get an answer.

This is Boise State....they haven't been good until recent. They have something special right now, more than likely after this year they will be back to a normal WAC team.

There's almost always a team like Boise State that comes from a small conference and makes waves. Remember Louisville a few years back? Same thing. What are they doing now?

Play at a high level consistently for a sustained period, get a bigger stadium, THEN they earn 1 for 1s with major programs.

SECgamecock453
09-08-2010, 09:29 PM
We're 1-0 all-time vs. Boise State, woooo! I mean hell, we're so good we made them come to Columbia, haven't seen those bastards since.

ugabrad
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
When a BCS team schedules OOC games, they are generally home games - unless the financial take from the away game is decent. BSU cannot afford to pay anything close to what a team with a 70,000+ seat stadium can pay a visiting team. This is why the 2 for 1 deal by Nebraska is fair. BSU could easily have gotten around that by joining a BCS conference (according to Nebraska's own scheduling rules), but they haven't.

Why would a major conference team travel to BSU to collect a $300,00 paycheck (just guessing based on waht BCS schools with huge stadiums payout) when they can travel to a BCS school and get two to three times as much money for the game? BSU needs to sweeten the deal if they want the big boys to come play in their blue yard.

(And no, Oregon and Oregon State dont count... their stadiums are not up to SEC/Big10/Big12 standards by any means).

socalwildcat
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
This is Boise State....they haven't been good until recent. They have something special right now, more than likely after this year they will be back to a normal WAC team.

There's almost always a team like Boise State that comes from a small conference and makes waves. Remember Louisville a few years back? Same thing. What are they doing now?

Play at a high level consistently for a sustained period, get a bigger stadium, THEN they earn 1 for 1s with major programs.

Losing to Kentucky four straight years! For once UK owns a streak.

Wronghorns
09-08-2010, 10:19 PM

Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, Marshall, Bowling Green, etc.

Where are they now? Suckville.

If I remember correctly, we beat Boise St. two years in a row a few years ago. Once handily, I believe.

Edit: 41-14 W for Hogs in 2002, 38-31 W for Hogs in 2000.

tt54l32v
09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
i would like to see Boise in Tuscaloosa drop Georgia state and bring them down here

BergeLSU
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
One more note about the Nebraska-Boise St. thing:

There’s been some bold talk this week out of the Boise State camp of supporters. Nobody in a big-boy conference will play Boise. You think that you can beat the Broncos? Give them a call. We dare you.
Advertising

Nebraska called. Nebraska tried.

In the past year, NU tried to put together a series with BSU; two-for-one, home-and-home, one-way trip to Lincoln. Whatever. It ended up fizzling out. Why?

Because, according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln.

http://omaha.com/article/20100908/SPORTS/709089803/0

SECgamecock453
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Added something to my sig, check it out.

Storm
09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
No wonder nobody will play them.

ugabrad
09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
So, they want a minimum of $1Million to travel to a BCS stadium. What are they offering in return? The whole of the gate receipts to the BCS team when it visits Boise?