Announcement tonight on Big 10 divisions [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Announcement tonight on Big 10 divisions

IllinoisDawg63
09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I haven't seen it posted yet, so figured I'd start thread. Ohio St. and Michigan will be separated I have heard, but they will play. I've heard smething that they may move their game into October.

Rocky@theTop
09-01-2010, 02:10 PM
• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

I know it's not a huge rivalry, but I didn't expect them to split Illinois and Northwestern since they are in the same state.

IllinoisDawg63
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.you seen this already? Thanks!! I've heard the conference may move Michigan/OSU game into October, in that if they do play in conference champ game, it wouldn't be so close timewise.

IllinoisDawg63
09-01-2010, 02:17 PM
FWIW, it appears they would like to "spark" rivalries with Nebraska and Iowa, thus as they put them in same division.

HeyBulldog
09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Would Ohio St. and Michigan still play every year?

2008 National Champions
09-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Yes they will.

joehogjoe
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Ohio St and Michigan will remain the last game of the season.

Storm
09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
rumor is they'll be in opposite divisions but still play the last regular season game. This of course sets up back to back weeks of Michigan vs osu as soon as Michigan get's back to where they should be.

IllinoisDawg63
09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
rumor is they'll be in opposite divisions but still play the last regular season game. This of course sets up back to back weeks of Michigan vs osu as soon as Michigan get's back to where they should be.I think they should move it to early October. One thing to consider being injuries. If Michigan has big player go down-they could still get therapy and return for them in the championship.

Storm
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
this is the best compromise for change and tradition though. There was an outcry of traditionalists that didn't want the date changed to earlier in the season, and there was also a rash of people that didn't want them to play twice. I guess this is as close to middle ground they can get.

NatureBoy
09-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Even if Michigan "gets back to where they should be," they'll still likely be behind Nebraska, as they have been for most of the last 50 years.

Storm
09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
if you say so.....their winning percentage is virtually the same over the last 50 years

NatureBoy
09-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Nebraska has:
More wins (468 to 415)
Better winning % (78% to 73%)
National Titles (5 to 1)

Michigan is a great, great program, no doubt. I was just replying to your comment about once Michigan getting back to normal, how they'd be set to play Ohio State in back-to-back games. You're forgetting about a giant.

Storm
09-02-2010, 06:38 AM
can't deny Nebraska's 5 titles, luckily these two schools will get to settle it on the field. Good luck the next two years, Nebraska's first big 10 schedule is brutal.

Herchel
09-02-2010, 06:48 AM
can't deny Nebraska's 5 titles, luckily these two schools will get to settle it on the field. Good luck the next two years, Nebraska's first big 10 schedule is brutal.

There is no brutal schedule in the Big Ten.

Just Some Hog Dude
09-02-2010, 07:27 AM

Wrong.

Herchel
09-02-2010, 07:48 AM
wrong.

9-3..

Storm
09-02-2010, 09:31 AM

The Cornhuskers open the 2011 conference schedule at Wisconsin. They come home to play Ohio State, then it's off to Minnesota and home games against Michigan State and Northwestern.

Here comes the big finish: at Penn State, at Michigan and home against new border rival Iowa.

Conspicuously absent: Indiana, Illinois and Purdue, aka three of the four Big Ten teams that did not make a bowl last season.

no matter how much of an elitist you are, that's still as tough a schedule you can have in the big 10.

SECgamecock453
09-02-2010, 10:15 AM
• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.

• Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

I know it's not a huge rivalry, but I didn't expect them to split Illinois and Northwestern since they are in the same state.

Anyone who had Illinois AND Northwestern in their division would benefit greatly, pretty sure that is why they were split up. Are they going to have permanent division foes like the SEC? If so I'm guessing it's something like:

Ohio State - Michigan
Penn State - Nebraska
Wisconsin - Iowa
Michigan State - Purdue
Northwestern - Illinois
Minnesota - Indiana (?)

Not sure about the last 2 or 3 in that list.

Storm
09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Anyone who had Illinois AND Northwestern in their division would benefit greatly, pretty sure that is why they were split up. Are they going to have permanent division foes like the SEC? If so I'm guessing it's something like:

Ohio State - Michigan
Penn State - Nebraska
Wisconsin - Iowa
Michigan State - Purdue
Northwestern - Illinois
Minnesota - Indiana (?)

Not sure about the last 2 or 3 in that list.

Michigan-Ohio State wasn't the only tradition for Big Ten officials to consider. No conference has more trophy games than the Big Ten.

Longtime rivals such as Iowa and Minnesota, Michigan and Michigan State, and Purdue and Indiana wound up in the same division. Wisconsin and Minnesota were split, but the Badgers and Gophers will be cross-divisional rivals and play each season.

That means Iowa can still square off each fall with Minnesota for Floyd of Rosedale, a bronze statue of a pig, and Minnesota and Michigan can now play for the Little Brown Jug every season.

The other cross-divisional rivalries will be: Nebraska and Penn State, pitting the Big Ten's two newest members; Indiana and Michigan State, which play for the Brass Spittoon; and Iowa and Purdue; and in-state rivals Illinois and Northwestern.

Rivalries that took a hit were Iowa and Wisconsin, which play for the Heartland Trophy, and Penn State and Michigan State, which play for the Land Grant Trophy.......

SECgamecock453
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Get off my nuts woman.

Storm
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
sorry, you made it sound like you wanted some clarification on rivalries in the big 10.

people to sensitive and b1tchy around here lately.