Bobby Bowden: "They promised me one more year" [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bowden: "They promised me one more year"

Optik
08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Rut-roh...honestly, if this is remotely, even half, true, and I don't see why he would lie about it, it makes me sick. I already don't like FSU, but this even takes them out of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" territory.

Not that I loved Bowden or anything, but he deserved better than this...

Bobby Bowden: ‘They promised me one more year’
SportingNews Aug 23, 6:00 pm EDT

College football icon Bobby Bowden, in a wide-ranging exclusive interview with Sporting News, details his final days at Florida State and how he was “fired” from the program he built.

Among the revelations from Bowden, who on Tuesday begins a nationwide tour to promote his book, Called to Coach: Reflections on Life, Faith and Football:

— Bowden was fired—he didn’t resign or retire—after FSU’s loss to Florida in the regular-season finale.

— Bowden says former FSU president T.K. Wetherell, who played for Bowden when he was a Florida State assistant in the 1960s and repeatedly proclaimed Bowden had a “lifetime contract,” reneged on an agreement to allow Bowden to coach through the end of the 2010 season. Instead, he wanted Bowden to be an “ambassador coach” with no responsibilities this season.

— Bowden said once FSU gave new coach Jimbo Fisher a $5 million buyout in 2007 if he wasn’t the head coach at FSU by January 2011, he started to be “phased out” by the school.

— The coach-in-waiting philosophy FSU used with Fisher doesn’t work.

The entire interview with Bowden and sons Terry and Tommy is available in the Aug. 30 issue of Sporting News magazine.

“I never thought (Wetherell) would ever do to me what he did,” Bowden said. “I’m disappointed, but it’s not like I’m going to cut my wrists.”

Bowden, who won’t be coaching this fall for the first time in 57 years, will appear on several national television shows Tuesday morning to promote Called to Coach. It will be Bowden’s first lengthy public appearance since leaving FSU after the Gator Bowl victory over West Virginia.

The day after FSU’s loss to Florida in the regular-season finale, Wetherell, who did not respond to Sporting News’ request for an interview, asked to see Bowden in his office to officially end his 34 years as the Seminoles head coach.

“First thing he says is, ‘This ain’t gonna be pretty.’ It went downhill from there,” Bowden said. “Those were his first words; I couldn’t believe it. He said, ‘You have two options: One is to stay on as an ambassador coach for one more year. You can still be the coach, but we don’t want you to go on the field.’ I’d get paid for doing nothing. That’s stealing from FSU. I said, ‘That’s out, forget it. What’s the other option?’ He said, ‘We don’t renew your contract.’ ”

Bowden says when he was told in 2007 that Fisher was going to be named coach-in-waiting, he told Wetherell that he wanted longtime defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews to follow him as head coach. He says Wetherell responded, “That’s not going to happen.” Bowden said Wetherell never told him of Fisher’s $5 million buyout, and that he “read a lot of that in the newspaper.”

“(Wetherell) never discussed it with me,” Bowden said. “They weren’t going to pay that $5 million. Let me say this: I was being phased out. But they promised me one more year (than I got); it was set in stone.”

Days before the team left for Jacksonville to play in the Gator Bowl, Bowden went to the stadium named after him and packed up his office.

Not one person came by his office to say goodbye. When asked if he received a Rolex watch or a cake when he left, Bowden replied, “They gave me a suitcase.”

The full conversation with Bobby Bowden appears in the August 30 edition of Sporting News magazine, which hits newsstands this week. If you are not receiving the magazine, subscribe today (http://www.sportingnews.com/magazine/subscribe/), or pick up a copy, available at most Barnes & Noble, Borders and Hudson Retail outlets.

You gotta wonder if it is just to sell his book. While I think Bobby Bowden isn't the most stand up guy in the world, I don't see him throwing FSU under the bus like this for almost no reason. :think:

ConwayGamecock
08-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I understand that Bowden had to beg Mickey Andrews not to retire and to stay on as DC.......then he says here that he wanted Andrews to succeed him as head coach?? Plus, BB was basically nothing more than a figurehead at FSU for the past decade anyways - like Paterno has been for quite awhile at PSU - while his asst. coaches do the work. So the idea of getting "paid for doing nothing" is weak to me.......the only thing different between what FSU wanted from BB in 2010, and what he already had in place, was that he would have no final say-so or final authority in how the program was ran: that would be all Fisher's. So he balked at it......

orange&white
08-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Unles your a Florida fan you have to love everything about Bobby Bowden. What a great personality. Can't side with him completely here though. College football has become such a complete cut-throat business, that its amzing JoePa is still around. I'll miss Bowden, but it was time to go.

scgamecock312
08-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Bobby Bowden did everything for that university and I'm honestly shocked they treated him this way...but on the other hand nothing surprises me anymore with college athletics and the way things are handled.

georgiaguy31015
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
It's not great PR for FSU but I think it was time for Bobby to go. At the end of the day CFB is still a business.

scgamecock312
08-24-2010, 09:55 PM
It's not great PR for FSU but I think it was time for Bobby to go. At the end of the day CFB is still a business.

It is indeed a business but you don't go about things that way. He was done wrong plain and simple.

georgiaguy31015
08-24-2010, 09:57 PM
It is indeed a business but you don't go about things that way. He was done wrong plain and simple.

I agree they went about it the wrong way.

Storm
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
uh, didn't he just get a bunch of wins vacated for having no control over his program? Shame on him for taking people at their word.

AlienBeans
08-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Bowden is a FRAUD of a coach. He was only as good as his assistants. He brought nothing to the table ever. He made his name off of his assistants doing all the work. Notice how they have been average at best since Mark Richt left. Props to Richt for getting out of that and making a name for himself instead of staying in the shadow and making somebody else look good.

REBEL5 AC
08-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Bowden is a FRAUD of a coach. He was only as good as his assistants. He brought nothing to the table ever. He made his name off of his assistants doing all the work. Notice how they have been average at best since Mark Richt left. Props to Richt for getting out of that and making a name for himself instead of staying in the shadow and making somebody else look good.

Those people didn't just show up at Florida State and just started coaching. Bowden found the talent and made them his assistant coaches.

Hell, Richt does the same thing Bowden did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Mike Bobo and Todd Grantham not run the offense and defense at Georgia? Doesn't this take place at most programs?

Most college coaches are CEO's of the program more than actual hands-on coaches. Mack Brown does the exact same thing Texas that Bobby Bowden did at FSU. Is Mack Brown a fraud?

FYI: I'm little biased here, considering Bobby Bowden's my favorite 3rd favorite coach in the history of sports after Mack Brown and Darrell K. Royal.

Bubba
08-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Wide right!!

GatorMan32
08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
"Number one, you can stay as ambassador coach. I don't think I've ever heard of an ambassador coach in my life. I said, 'Well, what is an ambassador coach?'

"He said, 'Well, you can remain the head coach but you can't coach out on the field.' Now how can I be the head coach of this team if I can't go out on the field? So I said, 'Well that's out.'

"So I said, 'What's the next alternative?' The next alternative, we ain't going to renew your contract," Bowden said with a big laugh. "Does that sound like I resigned?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5493285

:clap: :clap: :clap:

: popcorn :

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-25-2010, 01:03 AM
...Poor ole rich @ss Bobby.

SS

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-25-2010, 01:04 AM
It all goes back to, "What have you done for me lately." :think:

And the truth is, Bowden has not done much for the Seminole fans for quite a few years. Mediocracy will not cut it at major D1 programs who aspire for more. And Florida State fans, given the recruiting base, deserve more than Bowden was giving them. :banghead:

There was a time in the 80's when Florida State and Miami was the best programs in Florida, and the Gators were no more than an ugly sister. The fans of Florida State are wanting to reverse the field and return to national prominence, even though Jimbob Fisher may not be the one to get it done either. :pirate:

Dr. SwineSmeller

Bubba
08-25-2010, 02:26 AM
http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/danmowrey.jpg

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-25-2010, 02:30 AM
http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/danmowrey.jpg

What is Alex Tejada doing in that Seminole uniform? :sad2:

SS

Bubba
08-25-2010, 02:57 AM
What is Alex Tejada doing in that Seminole uniform? :sad2:

SS

i know right?!?

if Tejada held a FSU scholly, i wouldnt have been suprised. hes a perfect fit for near misses.

Friedchickenman
08-25-2010, 04:33 AM
I've always found Bobby to be a likeable guy but you gotta win the games and run a disciplined program, two things which he has been failing to do, the latter ever since he's been coaching. It's just like any job, it doesn't matter how well you've performed in the past if you're not performing at the moment then it's time for you to go. What does he want, sympathy, he's not getting any from me. I've known guys that worked jobs for 30 years only to be fired so they won't get retirement, while he's got millions in the bank.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-25-2010, 07:04 AM
What is one more year good for, after 35 others? :think:

I mean, it's not like he can't walk off the field into the broadcast booth of his choice. :think:

Quit whining Bobby, you're just tarnishing your character... :think:

Dr. SwineSmeller

nixforsix
08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
What's the point of building up a program if you're going to let it all slip away because of pride and selfishness?

Nobody likes putting a parent/grandparent into a nursing home or taking away their car. But at some point you have to do it for everyone's sake. Unfortunately FSU had to do this in front of a national audience.

rolling baby
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM

He's also a fraud of a human being.

Herchel
08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
Those people didn't just show up at Florida State and just started coaching. Bowden found the talent and made them his assistant coaches.

Hell, Richt does the same thing Bowden did. Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Mike Bobo and Todd Grantham not run the offense and defense at Georgia? Doesn't this take place at most programs?

Most college coaches are CEO's of the program more than actual hands-on coaches. Mack Brown does the exact same thing Texas that Bobby Bowden did at FSU. Is Mack Brown a fraud?

FYI: I'm little biased here, considering Bobby Bowden's my favorite 3rd favorite coach in the history of sports after Mack Brown and Darrell K. Royal.

Darrell Royal is also a favorite of mine. If he hadn't retired when he did, Terry Hoage would have played for Texas and not UGA. :cheers:

TIDE_gainer
08-25-2010, 05:20 PM

He brought nothing to the table but was able to build the FSU program from nothing to the top of college football and became one of the winningest coaches of all time.

2 National Titles & 12 ACC Championships & 377 wins all thanks to his assistant coaches.

Yeah, I buy that. :sarcasm:

orange&white
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
How do you have the 2nd most wins ever and be a fraud? Next thing I'll hear is the Bear was a fraud. Lets to forget where FSU was when Bowden took over either. Simply amazing run in the 90's. The streak of top 4 finishes likely will never be duplicated.

rolling baby
08-25-2010, 05:36 PM
He does the Christian act, but is a prideful human being (not to mention doing some serious shady things).

Bryant never ran around pretending to be holy. He owned up to being a drunk.

DecaturDawg
08-25-2010, 06:07 PM
He does the Christian act, but is a prideful human being (not to mention doing some serious shady things).

Bryant never ran around pretending to be holy. He owned up to being a drunk.

WORD!

Me thinks ol' Bobby has quite the history of playing on the side with the ladies. Many reports of very poor parenting also. I say that just to point out the hypocrisy.

But more to the point, this was just a bad move on Bobby's part. It does HIM no good, does FSU no good, and makes any potential employer (ESPN, etc. etc.) think about putting him in the booth when he makes statements like these.

I will say this: if they use him to replace LOU HOLTZ, then all if forgiven.

Optik
08-25-2010, 06:43 PM
WORD!

Me thinks ol' Bobby has quite the history of playing on the side with the ladies. Many reports of very poor parenting also. I say that just to point out the hypocrisy.

But more to the point, this was just a bad move on Bobby's part. It does HIM no good, does FSU no good, and makes any potential employer (ESPN, etc. etc.) think about putting him in the booth when he makes statements like these.

I will say this: if they use him to replace LOU HOLTZ, then all if forgiven.

ESPN won't do that, they are more likely to hire him on to team him up with Lou on the show and be "Dr. Bob" for the "Dr. Lou" segments. :rolleyes:

DecaturDawg
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
ESPN won't do that, they are more likely to hire him on to team him up with Lou on the show and be "Dr. Bob" for the "Dr. Lou" segments. :rolleyes:

:rock:

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-25-2010, 07:41 PM
What's the point of building up a program if you're going to let it all slip away because of pride and selfishness?

Nobody likes putting a parent/grandparent into a nursing home or taking away their car. But at some point you have to do it for everyone's sake. Unfortunately FSU had to do this in front of a national audience.

Unfortunately, Bobby could not see the need to gracefully step aside, as he full well knew was the wishes of the FSU administration and the majority of the FSU fan base.

I think it was a, "Joe Pa is still there, so why not me" kinda thing in Bobby's head.

Bobby is the one that made a national audience of it, not the FSU admin.

There is a large degree of stubbornness mixed with a bit of senility on Bobby's part it seems to me.

Jeez Bobby, you're 80. go spend some time with your family for Christ's sake, you've earned it and they deserve it.

Dr. SwineSmeller

HIGHTIDES
08-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I've always found Bobby to be a likeable guy but you gotta win the games and run a disciplined program, two things which he has been failing to do, the latter ever since he's been coaching. It's just like any job, it doesn't matter how well you've performed in the past if you're not performing at the moment then it's time for you to go. What does he want, sympathy, he's not getting any from me. I've known guys that worked jobs for 30 years only to be fired so they won't get retirement, while he's got millions in the bank.

Completely agree.

HIGHTIDES
08-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Part of being a good coach is hiring the right staff. I don't think Chizik would be doing squat right now without Malzahn, but he gets credit for getting the right guy on his staff IMO. I guess you probably think Malzahn should leave huh? Afterall, he's making Chizik look good. Chizik is a defensive coach and everyone knows Gus runs the offense. Offense finished 2nd in the SEC. Defense finished 2nd to last.

joehogjoe
08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
well if he was truly fired he should sign up for unemployment and he should receive the max ($275 per week, if might be a bit more).

IllinoisDawg63
08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
I've held respect for BB-that was even before the name Mark Richt became known in CFB. However, I do agree that he's doing himself no good to maintain what the CFB world considers him. As a UGA fan, I have to hold hope that FSU can make strides to bring UF down and hold them "in check".
Even if Fisher is unsuccessful, I don't think UGA still has to worry on losing Richt back to FSU...I think Richt has closed that chapter in his coaching career.

Bama_Man
08-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Bobby Bowden IS Florida State University football.

and its really laughable to insult Bowden as a coach.

Because he hires great assistants, it somehow reflects badly on his coaching prowess? WTF?

300+ wins, 20 some ACC titles, 2 national titles.

If Bowden was not a great coach, nobody else is worth a damn either.