Rivals picks Bama, all SEC, unit rankings and more. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Rivals picks Bama, all SEC, unit rankings and more.

joehogjoe
08-13-2010, 04:01 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1111989

The so called experts were asked to rank the SEC versus other conferences.
It doesn't take a genius to guess where they placed the SEC.

Another good read with 22 days to go, less for the sc fans.

Bubba
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
i love it. Masoli already picked to 2nd team ALL SEC.

in the words of HDN "you can tell hes played in the Rose Bowl"

joehogjoe
08-13-2010, 04:12 PM
I noticed that too, slap in the face to McElroy.

Dawg in Dallas
08-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I liked it - there were some surprises. Massouli being chief among them. The Florida offense (sans OL) seems to be underrated in my opinion.

orange&white
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Vols highest rated position group was wideouts at #8. I know this is the least talented Vols team of my lifetime, but they have to have a position group better 8th in the conference.

Dawg in Dallas
08-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Which one? Just curious, I don't know much of anything about the Vols this year...

joehogjoe
08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Vols highest rated position group was wideouts at #8. I know this is the least talented Vols team of my lifetime, but they have to have a position group better 8th in the conference.
perhaps the vols will be greater than the sum of it's parts.

IveyLeaguer
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
I thought they handled Georgia pretty well. I think they underestimated Georgia's secondary, but that's about it.

:think:

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
...Dooley power. :dind:

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I noticed that too, slap in the face to McElroy.

McElroy is a solid player. I have only seen Masoli play a couple times so I really can't comment.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I like how Arkansas is not being touted as legitimately good. It's understandable, because they have things yet to prove. You must earn respect. :usa:

This adds incentive. Plus, the Pigs may get somewhat overlooked by Georgia and Bama, whereas the Hogs will be hungry for some real r-e-s-p-e-c-t. :pirate:

Outscore them if you can. :dind:

SS

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 05:22 PM
I like how Arkansas is not being touted as legitimately good. It's understandable, because they have things yet to prove.

That's retarded but it doesn't make a difference. Talk is cheap.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
That's retarded but it doesn't make a difference. Talk is cheap.

I agree JSHD.

Anyone who takes a good look at the Hogs can't deny that the offense will be as good or better as any other in the nation. And with the combined experience and depth on defense, it is a logical analogy that the defense should be well improved.

Even if I wasn't a Hog fan, I'd have to give them a high grade considering the facts.

Dr. SwineSmeller

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree JSHD.

Anyone who takes a good look at the Hogs can't deny that the offense will be as good or better as any other in the nation. And with the combined experience and depth on defense, it is a logical analogy that the defense should be well improved.

Even if I wasn't a Hog fan, I'd have to give them a high grade considering the facts.

The only time I remember the Hogs being picked to win the SEC West, (McFadden and company), they didn't win it. The three times we have won the West, we were not picked to do so, so you are correct in that biased talk is cheap.

Dr. SwineSmeller

...being a sportswriter is a great job if you can get it. You can write anything.

Herchel
08-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I just have to say :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

JSHD has made fun of my unit rankings ad infinitum. Rivals agrees with me. :rotf::rotf:

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Like I was telling SS, you can write anything. The worse the better. More people will link your articles for the sake of lols and the organization makes more money. It is a great job if you can get it.

Dawg in Dallas
08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I just have to say :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

JSHD has made fun of my unit rankings ad infinitum. Rivals agrees with me. :rotf::rotf:

He wasn't the only one. At least one Gator scoffed at the notion that UGA might have better RB's, WR's and TE's.

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
He wasn't the only one. At least one Gator scoffed at the notion that UGA might have better RB's, WR's and TE's.

Listen, Rivals ranked Greg Childs as a three star recruit. You got to consider the source fellas.

Dawg in Dallas
08-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I guess we shouldn't give any weight to their choice of the Hogs as the best WR/TE unit. ;)

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
I guess we shouldn't give any weight to their choice of the Hogs as the best WR/TE unit. ;)

They ranked all UGA's recruits high and now they got to maintain the fiction. That is all it is. ;)

Bubba
08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
uga has the best reciever, and a top 2 TE, but after that, theres nothing.

ill take the cliche Herchel stance and say, Masoli hasnt done anything vs SEC competition.

and like JSHD said, what ppl write is subjective. the big boys are gonna get the respect in the media, theyll get their praise. its good business.

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 06:33 PM

ill take the cliche Herchel stance and say, Masoli hasnt done anything vs SEC competition.

and like JSHD said, what ppl write is subjective. the big boys are gonna get the respect in the media, theyll get their praise. its good business.

UGA has a great o-line too. They are really good.

HeyBulldog
08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
That's retarded but it doesn't make a difference. Talk is cheap.At long last, the fog has lifted and he has seen the light. :bow:

Bubba
08-13-2010, 06:45 PM

i agree. very good.

in fact, in the words of Garrick McGee; "All teams in the SEC are good, All teams have good players, Games are won mentally in the 4th quarter."

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 06:47 PM
i agree. very good.

in fact, in the words of Garrick McGee; "All teams in the SEC are good, All teams have good players, Games are won mentally in the 4th quarter."

Yep, and the Hogs have been working in this 100 degree heat every day. They are going to be like hardened soldiers. They are going to be like commandos.

Bubba
08-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Yep, and the Hogs have been working in this 100 degree heat every day. They are going to be like hardened soldiers. They are going to be like commandos.

yep. i dont know whats going on with most teams, but i see OM practicing at night, and some others practicing inside often, thats where youll get beat. not every game is a night game, not everygame is indoors. Sept is lookin like 90s on gameday.

Herchel
08-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Maybe they will be. We need them to be good. We have a lot of ifs, and it would be helpful if the O line wasn't one of them.

msudawgs1964
08-13-2010, 06:54 PM
wow...

Masoli is a quick and powerful runner who is a mediocre passer.

Had Masoli not shown up, Ole Miss would've had Nathan Stanley at quarterback. Opponents wouldn't have had to game plan for Stanley, but they will for Masoli.

If Masoli was more than a mediocre passer, this would make way more sense. Did he not just basically say that Masoli is, for all intents and purposes, one dimensional? That is actually easier to game plan for, at least I think so.

Herchel
08-13-2010, 07:00 PM
wow...

Masoli is a quick and powerful runner who is a mediocre passer.

Had Masoli not shown up, Ole Miss would've had Nathan Stanley at quarterback. Opponents wouldn't have had to game plan for Stanley, but they will for Masoli.

If Masoli was more than a mediocre passer, this would make way more sense. Did he not just basically say that Masoli is, for all intents and purposes, one dimensional? That is actually easier to game plan for, at least I think so.

It depends. I hear he runs 4.6 under normal conditions. Put a laptop under his arm with police dogs in pursuit, and he runs 4.3. The Nuttster may include laptops in the game plan. Beware!

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
I think Ole Miss got a lot stronger when Masoli showed up. Nutt will use him like he used Matt Jones.

georgiaguy31015
08-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Good good read. I can't argue with anything that they said about Georgia.

msudawgs1964
08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I think Ole Miss got a lot stronger when Masoli showed up. Nutt will use him like he used Matt Jones.

I think they did too but I just don't see how the Houston Nutt gameplan would be that hard to figure out. Teams are going to have to force him to pass and that is where it will get fun..or funny. His arm is not bad but he is not Jevan Sneed.

:doh::rotf:

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I think they did too but I just don't see how the Houston Nutt gameplan would be that hard to figure out. Teams are going to have to force him to pass and that is where it will get fun..or funny. His arm is not bad but he is not Jevan Sneed.

Nutt and Matt Jones could produce plenty of offense. I wouldn't sniff at them. Masoli is a better passer than Jones was.

msudawgs1964
08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Nutt and Matt Jones could produce plenty of offense. I wouldn't sniff at them.

well are you worried about playing them with Masoli now on board?

Just Some Hog Dude
08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
well are you worried about playing them with Masoli now on board?

Hell yes, I worry about everybody except Vandy. Don't let the trash talk fool you.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-13-2010, 09:13 PM

:doh::rotf:

The main problem I can see with Masoli in the SEC is his shorter height. Isn't he like only 5' 10"? :think:

There are some tall boys in the interior lines in the SEC, and throwing over them, especially down the middle lanes, may be more of a challenge than what Masoli was accustomed to in the PAC 10. :think:

Dr. SwineSmeller

Optik
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
I think UGA's secondary is slighty underrated, I would have them about 6th and the LBs are overrated at 4, probably belong about 6th right now as well. The DL at 7th is good, although I think we will be much higher in post-season rankings. Can't argue too much with any of UGA's other rankings.

I was actually surprised to see the UF backfield over the Arky backfield, I would reverse them at this point. It may be different post-season, but right now Ark looks much scarier at RB.

On the All-SEC teams, I would switch Jenkins(1st>2nd) and Gilmore(2nd>1st) at CB. Masoli at 2nd team QB is a joke, they are throwing the PAC10 a bone. I like him and I really like him in HDN's scheme, but I would have at least McElroy over him (Murray, Brantley, and Newton too). I personally think Jones is better than Pouncey at C, I think Ben is the best C in the conference and should make a run at best in the nation, but its splitting hairs at this point. I like the WRs, but I still think JJ is riding the hype, he is a second teamer to me, any of those guys on second team could be switched with him and this team wouldn't notice on the field. That is both a compliment to those second teamers and casting doubt about Julio, although he is really good.

UGA could also be in the conversation for easiest schedule. Ingram is the best offensive player by default, there really isn't anyone who could make a great case over him, even though IMO he isn't even the best RB on his own team. Not a knock on him, but Ingram = Emmitt Smith to me, very good running back made to look even better than he is by a dominant OL.

Most overrated player is interesting, I thought USC fans expected Saunders to be in the conversation for best TE and were really worried about the investigations into him? Sounds like the coaches didn't even expect much from him since a converted FB exited spring as the starter. :think:

Optik
08-13-2010, 09:28 PM
The main problem I can see with Masoli in the SEC is his shorter height. Isn't he like only 5' 10"? :think:

There are some tall boys in the interior lines in the SEC, and throwing over them, especially down the middle lanes, may be more of a challenge than what Masoli was accustomed to in the PAC 10. :think:

Dr. SwineSmeller

5'11", but I agree. Plenty of people want to cast doubt on Murray because of his height and he is 6'1".

Wronghorns
08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Nutt and Matt Jones could produce plenty of offense. I wouldn't sniff at them. Masoli is a better passer than Jones was.

Masoli is a better passer, but Jones was MUCH faster. If only he hadn't carried the ball like a loaf of bread at the grocery store...

AlienBeans
08-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, naturally I think this guy is full of ****e. He doesn't appear to think very highly of Auburn this year, but that's ok. I can make a case for why they will improve on last years performance, but to each their own. I'd love to pull this up at the end of the year and see how close (or how wrong) he actually was.

IveyLeaguer
08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I think UGA's secondary is slighty underrated, I would have them about 6th and the LBs are overrated at 4, probably belong about 6th right now as well. The DL at 7th is good, although I think we will be much higher in post-season rankings. Can't argue too much with any of UGA's other rankings.

I was actually surprised to see the UF backfield over the Arky backfield, I would reverse them at this point. It may be different post-season, but right now Ark looks much scarier at RB.

On the All-SEC teams, I would switch Jenkins(1st>2nd) and Gilmore(2nd>1st) at CB. Masoli at 2nd team QB is a joke, they are throwing the PAC10 a bone. I like him and I really like him in HDN's scheme, but I would have at least McElroy over him (Murray, Brantley, and Newton too). I personally think Jones is better than Pouncey at C, I think Ben is the best C in the conference and should make a run at best in the nation, but its splitting hairs at this point. I like the WRs, but I still think JJ is riding the hype, he is a second teamer to me, any of those guys on second team could be switched with him and this team wouldn't notice on the field. That is both a compliment to those second teamers and casting doubt about Julio, although he is really good.

UGA could also be in the conversation for easiest schedule. Ingram is the best offensive player by default, there really isn't anyone who could make a great case over him, even though IMO he isn't even the best RB on his own team. Not a knock on him, but Ingram = Emmitt Smith to me, very good running back made to look even better than he is by a dominant OL.

Most overrated player is interesting, I thought USC fans expected Saunders to be in the conversation for best TE and were really worried about the investigations into him? Sounds like the coaches didn't even expect much from him since a converted FB exited spring as the starter. :think:Terrific post.

I agree with every bit of it.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Well, naturally I think this guy is full of ****e. He doesn't appear to think very highly of Auburn this year, but that's ok. I can make a case for why they will improve on last years performance, but to each their own. I'd love to pull this up at the end of the year and see how close (or how wrong) he actually was.

Hell Hound will have the thread in his archive bank...:cheers:

orange&white
08-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Which one? Just curious, I don't know much of anything about the Vols this year...

Its understandable since we only have 8 starters back from a mediocre team, but I will say by the end of the year I think the Vols backfield, wide receivers, db's, and special teams will be above 8th in the conference. Front 7 will be brutal though and OLine is talented but extremely, extremely inexperienced so they will struggle mightily at the beginning of the year.

orange&white
08-14-2010, 12:11 AM

You guys ability to realize talent on a football field never ceases to amaze. UGA is loaded on offense except at QB. Murray is in a great situation to be a freshmen. Just manage the game.

Dawg in Dallas
08-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Its understandable since we only have 8 starters back from a mediocre team, but I will say by the end of the year I think the Vols backfield, wide receivers, db's, and special teams will be above 8th in the conference. Front 7 will be brutal though and OLine is talented but extremely, extremely inexperienced so they will struggle mightily at the beginning of the year.

Thanks for the response. I know very little about the Vols, but I imagine that there is enough talent on the roster to prove you right.

Optik
08-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the response. I know very little about the Vols, but I imagine that there is enough talent on the roster to prove you right.

Indeed, UT has a TON of young talent, but when you look at what they have returning, it is scary. Combine that with the injury issues they are having along the DL in camp and UT is hard to have a lot of confidence in. They appear to be really weak along both the OL and DL and as we all know, he who wins the battle in the trenches, usually wins the battle on the scoreboard. I have very little confidence in UT's ability to win in the trenches right now. Not because the linemen are bad, just unproven. They could end up a great pair of lines, but its hard to have any confidence in a prediction like that right now.

Outside of the lines, they don't look so bad, but still appear to lack some quality depth. UT is a big project right now and CDD has a lot of work ahead of him. I pretty well agree with O&W, those units he mentioned have the potential to be among the league's tops, but those lines...ugh. :barf:

orange&white
08-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Indeed, UT has a TON of young talent, but when you look at what they have returning, it is scary. Combine that with the injury issues they are having along the DL in camp and UT is hard to have a lot of confidence in. They appear to be really weak along both the OL and DL and as we all know, he who wins the battle in the trenches, usually wins the battle on the scoreboard. I have very little confidence in UT's ability to win in the trenches right now. Not because the linemen are bad, just unproven. They could end up a great pair of lines, but its hard to have any confidence in a prediction like that right now.

Outside of the lines, they don't look so bad, but still appear to lack some quality depth. UT is a big project right now and CDD has a lot of work ahead of him. I pretty well agree with O&W, those units he mentioned have the potential to be among the league's tops, but those lines...ugh. :barf:

I don't think they'll be in the top of the league, just better than the very bottom lol. Dooley really likes the talent level on the o-line, but they are just too young to expect much from then early in the season (which is where the toughest part of the schedule is). 5 new starters on the o-line just takes time.

As for the d-line, these quotes say all you need to know about the DT situation............

SACK OF TATERS

Dooley has not been short on analogies or comedy this pre-season when breaking down things after practice to the media. And Tuesday was no different. Dooley was asked how his defensive tackles looked behind Montori Hughes.

"It's like having a sack of potatoes. You shake them up and you pull one out," Dooley deadpanned. "You throw another one in, you shake it up and pull another one out. You go bake it and it kind of taste the same. They all have a different shape. Some have more dots then the other. Some are longer. Some have more girth. They're a big sack of potatoes right now."

A reporter followed up with "So you're saying no one stood out?".

"I don't know how I can say it any clearer," Dooley said smiling.

REBEL5 AC
08-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Have people suddenly forgotten how good Jeff Demps is? What's with the hate on Florida's RB's? Demps is awesome and Moody is also pretty good.

Optik
08-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Have people suddenly forgotten how good Jeff Demps is? What's with the hate on Florida's RB's? Demps is awesome and Moody is also pretty good.

Demps is awesome, but what can he do when he is focal point of the run game? Because run defenses last season keyed on Tebow and Demps wasn't as big a factor in defensive game-plans as he will be next year. Can he still be awesome when he is the #1 rush option rather than Tebow?

Moody has great talent, but hasn't really shown anything since getting to UF. I'm sure a big part of that was Tebow, but still. I wasn't really impressed with Moody when he did get the ball.

Not trying to hate on them, but its a whole new world without Tebow to take the heat off them. I still think they are top 3-5, I just gotta see something now before I heap praise.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Demps is awesome, but what can he do when he is focal point of the run game? Because run defenses last season keyed on Tebow and Demps wasn't as big a factor in defensive game-plans as he will be next year. Can he still be awesome when he is the #1 rush option rather than Tebow?

Moody has great talent, but hasn't really shown anything since getting to UF. I'm sure a big part of that was Tebow, but still. I wasn't really impressed with Moody when he did get the ball.

Not trying to hate on them, but its a whole new world without Tebow to take the heat off them. I still think they are top 3-5, I just gotta see something now before I heap praise.

I respectfully disagree Optik. I don't think Florida is top 5. The Gators are ranked there on past rep, nothing more. They have lost too much, player-wise and coach-wise, on the defensive side of the ball.

Last season, they were without experienced offensive coordinator Dan Mullen, and it often showed big time on the scoreboard, as we all saw. Florida's defense carried them last season. And now, to complicate matters, with Brantley at QB, the entire Gator offense has to adjust to a totally different style of play than they have been accustomed to since Meyer has been the Florida coach. :think:

To further complicate matters, they are now without their forever great defensive coordinator, Charlie Strong, and the few experienced defensive players that are returning must adjust to a new defensive coordinator. :think:

It is clearly a rebuilding year for the Gators. Nothing will come easy for Florida this season. Urban is pretty much on his own for the first time in his Florida career. :nono:

If Urban pulls off a one loss season this year, I'll be the first to call him the best coach in college football. :bow:

(If I'm not making any sense here please let me know).

Dr. SwineSmeller

IveyLeaguer
08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't think they'll be in the top of the league, just better than the very bottom lol. Dooley really likes the talent level on the o-line, but they are just too young to expect much from then early in the season (which is where the toughest part of the schedule is). 5 new starters on the o-line just takes time.

As for the d-line, these quotes say all you need to know about the DT situation............

SACK OF TATERS

Dooley has not been short on analogies or comedy this pre-season when breaking down things after practice to the media. And Tuesday was no different. Dooley was asked how his defensive tackles looked behind Montori Hughes.

"It's like having a sack of potatoes. You shake them up and you pull one out," Dooley deadpanned. "You throw another one in, you shake it up and pull another one out. You go bake it and it kind of taste the same. They all have a different shape. Some have more dots then the other. Some are longer. Some have more girth. They're a big sack of potatoes right now."

A reporter followed up with "So you're saying no one stood out?".

"I don't know how I can say it any clearer," Dooley said smiling.LOL, I'm already having fun following Dooley and Tennessee, especially the give and take with reporters and interviewers. It's hard to explain, but it's like I've been there before.

Well, feelings are worthless when it comes to playing football, but I have noticed some irony of circumstance.

Vince Dooley came to Georgia in 1964 and took over a storied program that was in pieces after 3-4 years of football disaster, and was asked to put it back together and make something of it. Not only did he do that but he went 7-3-1, beat Georgia Tech (an SEC power at the time), and took the team to a Bowl Game and won it.

Nobody really expected that much success, so Dooley was off to a great start by winning enough to create some excitement and put some football capital in the bank. Bottom line, VD put Humpty-Dumpty back together again by creating a structure for the long haul and at the same time winning enough, early enough, to create some stability.

All of that is to say that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Derek Dooley do the same at Tennessee. I know he's already completely transformed the structure. I don't know what Tennessee will do this year, but I do expect maximum productivity from the pieces available for Dooley to put together.

Win or lose, I believe most people are underestimating Tennessee. I won't be one of them.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-15-2010, 12:52 PM
...Win or lose, I believe most people are underestimating Tennessee. I won't be one of them.

Neither will I be IveyLeaguer. I have the Vols picked to finish second in the East, with a 9-3 mark, and beating UGA between the hedges along the way.

I keep saying that this UT team has more gut-wrenched incentive to win than any other team in the conference, and that they will fight tooth and nail from start to finish, game in and game out. :pirate:

I am glad Arkansas does not have them on the schedule.

Dr. SwineSmeller

Just Some Hog Dude
08-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I am glad Arkansas does not have them on the schedule.

Dr. SwineSmeller

I don't share those sentiments. I would love to see the Hogs stomp a hole in them.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't share those sentiments. I would love to see the Hogs stomp a hole in them.

UT has normally been my most hated SEC foe. But that was a lot to do with Porky Fulmer.

Now, my sentiment has changed with the hiring of Dooley, combined with the now "underdog" factor.

I may completely flop on my UT predictions, but no one gets them all right. Just ask Greg Nagy and Hershel Walker... :sad2:

SS

IveyLeaguer
08-15-2010, 01:58 PM
... they will fight tooth and nail from start to finish, game in and game out. :pirate:That IS a Dooley trademark. So we'll see.

Dr.SwineSmeller
08-15-2010, 04:32 PM
That IS a Dooley trademark. So we'll see.

UT fans could be kicking themselves in the butt for not showing more appreciation for Dooley here early on, as he could end up bolting for UGA after two good seasons.

I'd be more excited about Dooley if I were a UT fan. I mean c'mon, his dad is a true legend in the business, and usually, the apple falls near the tree.

SS

orange&white
08-15-2010, 10:55 PM
UT fans could be kicking themselves in the butt for not showing more appreciation for Dooley here early on, as he could end up bolting for UGA after two good seasons.

I'd be more excited about Dooley if I were a UT fan. I mean c'mon, his dad is a true legend in the business, and usually, the apple falls near the tree.

SS

I for one am really excited about Dooley. However, 2010 has been setting up the be a tough year no matter if Fulmer, Kiffin, or Dooley was the head ball coach. This is year's results have very little bearing on how good a coach I think Derek Dooley is. Hopefully other Vol fans feel the same.

skydogj
08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't think Ole Miss has the worst set of receivers in the SEC....they just couldn't get Snead to throw in their direction last year.