Big 10 Championship Game on The Frozen Tundra?!? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 Championship Game on The Frozen Tundra?!?

Optik
07-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Lambeau interested in Big Ten title game

Big Ten football could be coming to the frozen tundra.

Lambeau Field is the latest venue to express interest in hosting a potential Big Ten football championship game. Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy told ESPN.com on Thursday that the team already has contacted the Big Ten office to express its interest.

After adding Nebraska as its 12th team in June, the Big Ten is now eligible to hold a football championship game. A decision on scheduling a title game could be finalized Aug. 2-3 when Big Ten officials and athletic directors meet in Chicago.

"We'd be very interested," Murphy said. "The Big Ten has got such history and tradition, and to have a championship in Lambeau Field would be tremendous. It'd be good for our community and good for college football to have it in such a historic venue."

Several other Midwest facilities have expressed interest in hosting a potential Big Ten championship, including Detroit's Ford Field, Chicago's Soldier Field and Cleveland Browns Stadium. Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium is also considered a strong candidate.

Murphy, who served as athletic director at Northwestern before joining the Packers, anticipates a formal bidding process to begin if the league decides it will have a championship game beginning in 2011.

Weather could factor into the Big Ten's decision for a championship game site, as leagues like the SEC and Big 12 usually hold their football championship games at indoor facilities.

"Early December, that's balmy in Green Bay," Murphy joked. "To me, that's part of the attraction of college football, to play in the elements. We're going to have a Super Bowl in New York in February, so it's not that much different."

Lambeau Field last hosted college football in 1982-83, when St. Norbert College hosted Fordham, the alma mater of legendary Packers coach Vince Lombardi.

Yes, yes, and yes. Do it yesterday. :cheers:

boxvic
07-16-2010, 01:13 AM
I'd probably watch it.

georgiaguy31015
07-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I don't care where they play the game I'm just glad they are finally getting a title game.

IllinoisDawg63
07-16-2010, 05:58 AM
I think there ought to be trade-off between different cities-Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh. Chicago and Indianapolis get the Big 10 basketball tournament.

18 and counting......

dnmuga93
07-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I went to the Senator's blog the other day and he linked to a Chicago Tribune article about possible Big 10 title game sites.

The comments from the locals astounded me. They all said the game should be played either at the Big House or the Horseshoe in order to maximize ticket sales.

Don't they know the game is almost secondary in terms of money generated?

Cuz
07-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I went to the Senator's blog the other day and he linked to a Chicago Tribune article about possible Big 10 title game sites.

The comments from the locals astounded me. They all said the game should be played either at the Big House or the Horseshoe in order to maximize ticket sales.

And they claim we'uns is dumb.

Optik
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Neither the Big House nor the Horseshoe is even in the same realm as Lambeau when it comes to being a special place in the game. Storied stadiums, sure, but Lambeau is Lambeau, they don't compare to it.

YR_Tiger
07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
They can play it on the moon for all I care. I will not watch it.

Storm
07-16-2010, 09:51 AM
championship games should be played on a neutral field. idiots.

My choice is to have it in Indianapolis every year. But first i'm more interested in UM just getting to it.......LOL

Bayou Bengal 72
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Lambeau is not even in the running. Reason: too d@mn small.

The B10+2 venue should be one of the major cities in the conference, and there are several - Chicago (Soldier Field), Cleveland (Browns Stadium), Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field), Indianapolis (Lucas Oil Stadium*), Minneapolis/St. Paul (Metrodome*), Detroit (Ford Field*). All are major stadiums with NFL teams, but only the last three are domes (*). The others are all outdoor stadiums which could be a problem in the far north in early December.

Just Some Hog Dude
07-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Playing football in the cold sucks almost as bad as baseball.

GatorMan32
07-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I would be a little jealous if they got to play in Lambeau. That would be some **** right there. Of course they won't do it because as was stated, too small of a stadium.

joehogjoe
07-17-2010, 06:38 PM
It's far more manly than playing in that crappy atlanta dome.
football is an outdoor game.

ugabrad
07-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd be far more likely to watch a Big 10+2 Championship Game if it were in Lambeau Field than in any other stadium. I'd wager that there are a lot of football fans across the country who agree with me on that one.

fishntime
07-18-2010, 11:34 AM
It's far more manly than playing in that crappy atlanta dome.
football is an outdoor game.

I agree. I hate games being played indoors. Football is to be played outdoors. I have gone to a few indoor games but overall I would rather sit in the cold or snow (Which I have done a few times) than sit indoors and watch a football game.

IllinoisDawg63
07-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Playing football in the cold sucks almost as bad as baseball.I wouldn't say going to games in the south when it's 90+ is so grand either. It rarely ever gets bitter cold early December. But even up here I've seen morons dress like they think it's July year round.

socalwildcat
07-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm guessing they'll play in Indianapolis...in the Colts stadium. Or, outdoors in Chicago.

WouldE
07-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Lots of great NFL stadiums in Big Ten country to choose from. They're smaller than some of the bigger Big Ten stadiums but I hope that's the way they go (and OUTSIDE).

I'd like to see them rotate between Cleveland, Cinci, Green Bay, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. Maybe even Philly.