So where did the realignment lead? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : So where did the realignment lead?

AURex
06-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Nebraska goes to the Big 10 (Big 11, now 12). Will a game between Illinois and Nebraska draw one additional set of eyes as a result? No, but I bet there will be a lot of people intrigued to see Nebraska play Ohio State. And the Big 10 (now 12) can finally have a championship game. Moreover, Nebraska meets the academic standards of the Big 10 (now 12) institutions, so the presidents are happy.

Verdict - Big 10 (11, now 12) wins big time with this deal. It increases competitiveness within the conference, which has been a problemn since Michigan sank into their current hole. And a championship will draw more eyes to Big 10 (now 12) football, and more money into their coffers, making the richest conference even richer.

Colorado (and probably Utah) going to the Pac 10. Uh, well, so what? The PAC 10 (now 12?) adds a team. But does anyone really care about Colorado vs Washington State or Utah vs Arizona? The PAC 10 (now 12?) can have a championship game. Uh, woohoo, I guess. Verdict -- who cares.

And the Big 12 (now 10). They won't have a championship game unless they add a couple of teams, but the remaining teams will get more money anyway, since they'll be splitting it between fewer teams. Personally, I'm glad TA&M did not join the SEC, but that's just me I guess.

There's rumors that Arkansas is putting out feelers to re-join their kinfolk over in the old SWC. And I even saw the ridiculous comment that they are trying to pull Notre Dame into the old Big 12 (now 10). I don't see either happening. Even if they hold it together for another year or two, I think the big players in the league (Texas and Oklahoma) defect -- hopefully to the SEC. If TA&M tagged along, the SEC would need to grab VT or Clemson as well. That would be an awesome conference. Huge dollars. A true super conference, not only in football, but also basketball and the other sports.

Bubba
06-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Big Ten did very good adding nebraska.

Big 12 is now watered down, less competitive, and has no championship.

as far as the Pac 10 goes, nothing changed imo.

if the SEC had to add 2 west teams, id pick A&M before/over OU. Texas is setting themselves up for independency and we already know they run from competition.

IllinoisDawg63
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Just waiting for Big 12 "lite" to still crumble. If the Sooners want to keep kissing the 'Horns' a$$, let them but I don't think A&M wants to, which would probably kill their rivalry and the Aggies still keep talking with the SEC and eventually join.

Just Some Hog Dude
06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Hopefully it has led to sanity. Continued conference expansion would just ruin college football.

Doyle Hargraves
06-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Just waiting for Big 12 "lite" to still crumble. If the Sooners want to keep kissing the 'Horns' a$$, let them but I don't think A&M wants to, which would probably kill their rivalry and the Aggies still keep talking with the SEC and eventually join.

I think you're right. It's just a matter of time. A&M was promised sooo much more money for staying in the Lil-10. I don't see that conference being able to live up to that promise. Even if'n they do, the fans of that U still aren't satisfied with where they're at in such a "Mickey Mouse Conferense". :think:
JMHO!

Bayou Bengal 72
07-06-2010, 04:04 PM
The sum total is there could be one more Conference Championship game than last year. The Pac 12 and the Big 10 (+2) can now play a CCG but the Big 12 (-2) cannot.

Announcements coming soon?