We aren't done yet!: Utah to join PAC10-11-12 as early as Friday. [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : We aren't done yet!: Utah to join PAC10-11-12 as early as Friday.

Optik
06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Source: Utah to Pac-10 is imminent

Utah will join the Pac-10 Conference as its 12th team -- with an announcement coming as soon as Friday, a source tells ESPN.

Mountain West Conference commissioner Craig Thompson, interviewed Tuesday, would only say that he has been in contact with the Pac-10 regarding Utah.

"I did state yesterday morning that I had not spoken to [Pac-10 commissioner] Larry Scott," Thompson said during a break at the Collegiate Commissioners Association meetings. "Twenty-four hours is a long timeframe."

Asked if it was his understanding that an invitation had been extended to Utah to join the Pac-10, Thompson said, "I don't know. I just need to defer all comments."

The Pac-10 grew by one last week when Colorado accepted its invitation to leave the Big 12. Meanwhile, Scott also attempted to lure Texas and four other Big 12 schools. The conference would have become a 16-team league had Texas joined with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Texas A&M.

Instead, those schools decided to stay in the Big 12.

When the news came down that Texas and the rest were not joining Pac-10, Scott said he called Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe to congratulate him for saving his conference.

The addition of Utah is likely to bolster the Pac-10's football profile. Since 2003 the Utes have been a powerhouse in the Mountain West -- a perfect 6-0 in bowl games during that span, including a 2-0 mark in BCS games which capped off undefeated seasons.

Additionally, the Utes bring Salt Lake City's TV market, which is the 31st largest in the nation.

This should might be the final piece for while though. Tough blow to the MWC. It should be funny when Utah wins the PAC in year one. :D

Cuz
06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
This should might be the final piece for while though. Tough blow to the MWC. It should be funny when Utah wins the PAC in year one. :D

Nah, the Gentiles will have a hard time once they leave the Saints.

GatorMan32
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Utah is already the best team in the Pac 10 LOL They are going to have a serious run of Pac 10 titles.

They can send a thank you card to Urban LOL

georgiaguy31015
06-16-2010, 09:12 PM
If everything would have panned out like it was suppose to this would have been another great domino to fall but as it is this is just a tree falling in the woods with nobody around to hear it.

PowerT98
06-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Utah reps a good fit for the pac...suprised actually this hasn't happened sooner.