Usc got hammered! [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Usc got hammered!

HIGHTIDES
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Loss of 30 scholies over 3 years (no more than 75 scholarship players allowed on team)

and a 2 year bowl ban.

5 Years Probation

Limited recruiting contact.

Vacate wins from December, 2004 through entire 2005 season.

That's a kick to the whacker.

Heck Pup
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I read that a two year bowl ban means any player @ USC with two years or less eligibility can transfer immediately and not have to sit out a year.

Time to pillage USC players!

Derek Dooley - are you listening?

CaribbeanTide
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome home Lane

dnmuga93
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I read that a two year bowl ban means any player @ USC with two years or less eligibility can transfer immediately and not have to sit out a year.

HH, you must have read the Senator's blog this am. He said the first thing Derek Dooley should do is get on a plane to LA and go talk to Mitch Mustain.

I hope he doesn't.

HIGHTIDES
06-10-2010, 03:29 PM

They can.

YR_Tiger
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Man they did get hammered...

What's even worse is there on the 5 year repeat offender probation. Did yall notice who quick Lane got the NCAA after UT? My guess is they have many more issues in the coming years.

Heck Pup
06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
HH, you must have read the Senator's blog this am.

That's it. That guy is really good.

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Yeah, Eddie O. alone is a potential ncaa violation in the near future.

DBS
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
they didn't get jack.

no tv for two to three years would have been appropriate.

joehogjoe
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
we can get mitch mustang back.

AlienBeans
06-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Where are all the posters that were here saying they wouldn't get touched, or just get a slap on the wrist??

REBEL5 AC
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Right here, guy.

I wasn't sure they were going to get much at all but the NCAA delivered.

Love USC excuses on ESPN.

Cap'n
06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
So can OU now claim the 2004 title?

Dawg in Dallas
06-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Where are all the posters that were here saying they wouldn't get touched, or just get a slap on the wrist??

You mean the Bama fans?

REBEL5 AC
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure anyone will get anything out of these sanctions. No one should, IMO. Not even Vince.

ConwayGamecock
06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I wonder how much this actually does hurt SoCal? IMO, they have underachieved with all the talent they stockpiled on their teams the past 3-5 seasons. How will losing 10 schollies a year hurt a program that already were 2-3 5* talent deep at every position? This means they are now 1-2 5* deep at every position? To accomplish what they were already accomplishing the past 3-5 seasons? Not that much of a stretch, IMO.....

No bowl bids for the next 2 seasons will hurt, IMO...it means they can't sell the likelihood of a championship for that time period. But 2 seasons can go by pretty quickly. Still, it's certainly better than nothing....

UK'sRash
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure anyone will get anything out of these sanctions. No one should, IMO. Not even Vince.

He should have got the Heisman back then. He deserved it more.

HIGHTIDES
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
You mean the Bama fans?

If you mean Bama fans + every other fan base in the country.. then you're correct.

Look how long this took! No one saw this coming, hell, everyone saying they wouldn't get touched by the NCAA could be why they got such a harsh punishment.

Smokey's on the prowl
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
The loss of scholarships will hurt. In the next three years while everyone else signs around 75 players. They can only sign 45. And you can bet the NCAA will be there every time they sneeze in the next 5 years to make sure it was done correct, especially with Orgeron there. Man, I'm glad those clowns are gone.

UT DE Chris Walker tweeted : "I love karma"

Storm
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
pretty impressed with NCAA over this. Also scares the sh1t out of me come August and Michigan ruling.

Dollar Theater
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
They should have another Heisman ceremony in which Bush hands it personally to Vince. That would easily be the greatest hour of TV in history.

Dawg in Dallas
06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
If you mean Bama fans + every other fan base in the country.. then you're correct.

Look how long this took! No one saw this coming, hell, everyone saying they wouldn't get touched by the NCAA could be why they got such a harsh punishment.

Perhaps. My experience is limited to this site and my friends here in Dallas. On this site, the Bama fans are the biggest complainers about an alleged double standard - IMO.

Storm
06-10-2010, 04:40 PM

somebody should get every UT player on the phone and tell them to STFU right now. Don't start talking about karma and crap like that. Who knows what Lane did what he was there. Be the classy ones and go about your business. IMO

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Some bama fans weren't the only ones saying that. You need help, DiD.

Heck Pup
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Derek Dooley does not approve.

Elvis
06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
somebody should get every UT player on the phone and tell them to STFU right now. Don't start talking about karma and crap like that. Who knows what Lane did what he was there. Be the classy ones and go about your business. IMO

add a word to your vocabulary.

Schadenfreude (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schadenfreude)

enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

You are out of your g@ddamn mind if you expect us Vol fans (and players) to sit back and not enjoy this.

Storm
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
add a word to your vocabulary.

Schadenfreude (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/schadenfreude)

You are out of your g@ddamn mind if you expect us Vol fans (and players) to sit back and not enjoy this.

fans are one thing, E, the players are a completely different story.

Elvis
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM

really? You expect 18-22 year old kids who were essentially lied to by their last coach to sit back and not enjoy this?

really?

:rotf:

I guess it would be better for everyone to be dour, humorless automatons like the new england patriots. amirite?

Elvis
06-10-2010, 04:54 PM
I, for one, am one vol fan who is pleased that this happened to USC and Lane Kiffen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMGMZsKXz94)

Storm
06-10-2010, 04:56 PM
really? You expect 18-22 year old kids who were essentially lied to by their last coach to sit back and not enjoy this?

really?

:rotf:

I guess it would be better for everyone to be dour, humorless automatons like the new england patriots. amirite?

talking about karma via twitter is the supreme example of an oxymoron. Like you said, they're kids, I guess it's what to be expected.

YR_Tiger
06-10-2010, 04:56 PM

What ever dude. The players have more riding on the coach than the fans. They play for the guy.
I'm pretty sure everyone (player and fan) in the SEC is laughing at Lane and he deserves it for acting like and @ss.

Dawg in Dallas
06-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Some bama fans weren't the only ones saying that. You need help, DiD.

They seemed to be the most vocal. I posted some of the comments in the other thread, which you ignored.

Storm
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
What ever dude. The players have more riding on the coach than the fans. They play for the guy.
I'm pretty sure everyone (player and fan) in the SEC is laughing at Lane and he deserves it for acting like and @ss.

no doubt, seeing as Lane was on the staff during this time. But the public laughing by players, that's what I think can come back and haunt them. That's all.

Heck Pup
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I wonder how much of the Bush scandal/violations Lane Kiffin was actually responsible for when he was at USC the first time?

Perhaps he felt guilty for participating in all that shady stuff, and wanted to return to USC in order to right the wrongs he was responsible for?

lol

Elvis
06-10-2010, 05:01 PM
talking about karma via twitter is the supreme example of an oxymoron. Like you said, they're kids, I guess it's what to be expected.

oxymoron (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oxymoron)

a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

Examples:

Military intelligence
fuzzy logic

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0912/that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-means-princess-bride-mand-demotivational-poster-1260739585.jpg

Storm
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
i can see you're just looking for an argument. I've said my peace. I think it's stupid. IMO. IMO, IMO. opinion being the operative word.

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
DiD, you should remember one thing. Bama cooperated while USC stonewalled the NCAA.

Elvis
06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
i can see you're just looking for an argument. I've said my peace. I think it's stupid. IMO. IMO, IMO. opinion being the operative word.

I am not looking for an argument. You're just bumbling around. It's just my day to knock your silly softballs out of the park. You're lucky it's me and not Rocky.

TN players. Enjoy it. TN fans. Enjoy it. SEC fans, enjoy it and feel free to pile on the "I told you so's" to us Vol fans.

Storm, please feel free to participate for comic relief.

ugabrad
06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I am one of those who has consistently complained about SoCal getting away with trashing the rules while the NCAA looks the other way. This decision is more than a slap on the wrist (by a little bit), but there should have been a TV ban for the same period of a bowl ban. Oh well... at least they were finally punished...

Dawg in Dallas
06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
DiD, you should remember one thing. Bama cooperated while USC stonewalled the NCAA.

Great!! That says nothing about the Bama fans alleging a double standard, as I posted for you in the other thread.

Smokey's on the prowl
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I am one of those who has consistently complained about SoCal getting away with trashing the rules while the NCAA looks the other way. This decision is more than a slap on the wrist (by a little bit), but there should have been a TV ban for the same period of a bowl ban. Oh well... at least they were finally punished...

I don't think a tv ban is fair. It hurts their oppenents who had nothing to do with breaking the rules.

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 05:13 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/228/uscsicover.jpg

Elvis
06-10-2010, 05:15 PM

I don't see this as a "little" slap on the wrist. Realistically, no school is getting the Death penalty anymore.

What USC got will affect them for years down the road. Ask Alabama. It took them, what five or six years before they came close to being what they were before the scholarship losses?

It took, what, 4 years to get this done? I imagine they wanted to dot their i's and cross their t's. make sure that their decision was appeal proof.

UK'sRash
Hard to believe that most of this is because of one person, bush. I mean its cause of him that all of these people are affected. I feel bad for the players on that championship team who came in to USC and did their job without violating any rules. their hard work is for nothing.

HIGHTIDES
Perhaps. My experience is limited to this site and my friends here in Dallas. On this site, the Bama fans are the biggest complainers about an alleged double standard - IMO.

Well for a while there it seemed like we had a reason to complain. It was OBVIOUS that USC was cheating and it seemed like the NCAA wanted nothing to do with it. It turns out, we were right.. they were cheating and the NCAA WAS doing nothing about it... they finally did. Better late than never I guess.

HIGHTIDES
06-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Examples:

Military intelligence
fuzzy logic

Summer school

Storm
06-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't think a tv ban is fair. It hurts their oppenents who had nothing to do with breaking the rules.

excellent point

HIGHTIDES
06-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't see this as a "little" slap on the wrist. Realistically, no school is getting the Death penalty anymore.

What USC got will affect them for years down the road. Ask Alabama. It took them, what five or six years before they came close to being what they were before the scholarship losses?

It took, what, 4 years to get this done? I imagine they wanted to dot their i's and cross their t's. make sure that their decision was appeal proof.

At least they have a guy that can recruit. With limited scholarships, recruiting is even more important. We had a coach that didn't even know the name of our top in-state talent.

TIDE_gainer
06-10-2010, 05:23 PM
they didn't get jack.

no tv for two to three years would have been appropriate.

Word is that they were extremely close to getting the TV ban which no one thought would be dealt out again.

USC made things worse for themselves during the investigation by not self-imposing ANY penalties on their football program. It was probably viewed as arrogance or defiance and helped make the decision to hammer them easier. They are very lucky they didn't get the TV ban.

Whoever said earlier in the post that they believe there might be more on the horizon for USC thanks to the 5 year window and the lightning rod that is their coaching staff, was dead on.

YR_Tiger
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Examples:

Military intelligence
fuzzy logic

Honest Lawyers....
BTW you new sig pic sux....

Elvis
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Honest Lawyers....
BTW you new sig pic sux....

don't talk to me about it. I provided the explanation.

And must spread rep :p

onlyfrbama
06-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Honestly who expected this. The NCAA has not exactly had the greatest track record this decade on distributing punishment for the crimes committed. They have given school A this and school B this. It took over 4 years for this to go down, so I for one am surprised but also happy the NCAA took action. Has nothing to do with Bama on this and don't know why certain people have to turn every post into a Bama post. Bama did the crime, served it's time (of course with some complaining) and has come out a better program.

Kiffen should study up on his My name is Earl. Karma is a b!tch.

CaribbeanTide
06-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Am I the only who hearkens back to the pics of some of Leinart's finest hours when I see this thread title?

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I will honestly give serious rep to whoever can find a pic of Lenart wearing the "F##k the BCS" shirt he had on ABC prime-time on the eve of the 2004 football season.

CaribbeanTide
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I will honestly give serious rep to whoever can find a pic of Lenart wearing the "F##k the BCS" shirt he had on ABC prime-time on the eve of the 2004 football season.I was originally going to post some of those funneling pics, but they were using a funnel with a potentially-NSFW appendage at the end so I figured better to play it safe. ;)

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 06:25 PM
btw, USC got killed in this mainly b/c of their attitude towards NCAA in this whole investigation and hiring that wonderful gang from Knoxville.

SECgamecock453
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I was at the basketball game when OJ Mayo came here. Guess that's not a loss for us now. :D

CaribbeanTide
06-10-2010, 06:45 PM
They can always play Hawaii as a pseudo-bowl like we did. Oh wait . . . .

orange&white
06-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Honestly who expected this. The NCAA has not exactly had the greatest track record this decade on distributing punishment for the crimes committed. They have given school A this and school B this. It took over 4 years for this to go down, so I for one am surprised but also happy the NCAA took action. Has nothing to do with Bama on this and don't know why certain people have to turn every post into a Bama post. Bama did the crime, served it's time (of course with some complaining) and has come out a better program.

Kiffen should study up on his My name is Earl. Karma is a b!tch.

I heard Gary Danielson give some interesting insight to this. He said that the NCAA usually has a very good idea of what schools are doing shady, shady stuff but can't always get the paper trails, witnesses, other evidence needed to prove everything they know. Therefore you see the differences in punishment that seem unequal. Also said in cases that they "know" about big things that have gone on but can't prove anything they will try to hit the smaller stuff that every school has going on. The NCAA gets a bad rap and some of it is deserved, but people vastly underestimate how hard a job it is knowing how all the big schools operate and that they are the hand that feeds you at the same time. They all cheat, question is just how much.

Djshockley3
06-10-2010, 07:42 PM
This is so awesome.

ugabrad
06-10-2010, 08:52 PM

You may want to re-read my post. I said that it was more than a slap on the wrist - by a little. There is a big difference between saying that and calling it a "little slap on the wrist".

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2010, 08:54 PM
It's rough don't get me wrong but I was hoping they would have to vacate more wins. Beyond that I'm happy and they got what they deserve.

Herchel
06-11-2010, 05:24 AM
UGA was 32 wins behind USC for 10th place, all time. I guess we are only about 20 behind now. :)

Doyle Hargraves
06-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Call me crazy...

But I didn't think they recieved enough of a punishment. A house, car, and plenty of $$$ was discovered for ONE PLAYER!

LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONROL? You're damned skimply!