NCAA announcement on USC on Thursday [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NCAA announcement on USC on Thursday

ECDawg78
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5267933

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Shelley (sp?) Smith's reporting that USC's going to get a THREE YEAR postseason ban (OUCH), scholarship reduction and lose the 2004 season. LMFAO

Optik
06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Bruce Feldman says something slightly different, but close:
USC has been hit with a two-year post-season ban in addition to the loss of scholarships, among other penalties from the NCAA.
25 minutes ago via web

georgiaguy31015
06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Shelley (sp?) Smith's reporting that USC's going to get a THREE YEAR postseason ban (OUCH), scholarship reduction and lose the 2004 season. LMFAO

I hope that's right. That would be awesome but the text from ESPN I got said a two year ban and a loss of scholarships.

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Oops, TexasFight can't read. FML

Optik
06-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Oops, TexasFight can't read. FML

I dunno. Shelly Smith may have reported that. I think it is more likely that she can't read than you can't. :cheers:

REBEL5 AC
06-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Take away the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season. Strip Leinart and Bush's Heist-man, take away all the trophies and games won. Take everything won during those three years and throw it out. That would make me happy.

Wave&Dawgs
06-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Take away the 2003, 2004 and 2005 season. Strip Leinart and Bush's Heist-man, take away all the trophies and games won. Take everything won during those three years and throw it out. That would make me happy.

It would be WHOLLY unfair to take away individual awards because of team transgressions. Now in Bush's case if you can prove he was involved in the shadiness, fine, but if the player is clean you can't just take their awards away. How is that even a little fair?

Optik
06-09-2010, 11:44 PM
It would be WHOLLY unfair to take away individual awards because of team transgressions. Now in Bush's case if you can prove he was involved in the shadiness, fine, but if the player is clean you can't just take their awards away. How is that even a little fair?

I agree, at least for Matt. Bush perhaps does deserve his taken away since it is so obvious that he was involved. Regardless, the NCAA does not award or control the Heisman and thus has no power to revoke it.

Wave&Dawgs
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Regardless, the NCAA does not award or control the Heisman and thus has no power to revoke it.

That's true, good point.

Dr.SwineSmeller
06-09-2010, 11:51 PM

Looks like Texas wins its' first two PAC 10 titles by default... :think:

Wave&Dawgs
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Looks like Texas wins its' first two PAC 10 titles by default... :think:

I've read that even if the Big 12 does dissolve, those teams can't actually start play in other conferences until 2012, so by then USC will be postseason eligible again.

Optik
06-10-2010, 02:10 AM
I wonder how many wins USC will be losing total? USC (775) is 10th on the all-time wins list; UGA (732) is 11th, just a mere 43 wins behind.

The hunt begins...:smokin:

Herchel
06-10-2010, 04:19 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13502886/ncaa-apparently-makes-uscs-nightmare-scenario-a-reality?tag=headlines;other

NCAA apparently makes USC's nightmare scenario a reality

It is the end of USC football as we know it.

Oh, the Trojans will still be playing, just not very well for a while. According to two reports, USC will receive one of the most severe penalties of a major program in recent memory stemming from the Reggie Bush investigation.

The Trojans will receive a two-year postseason ban, the loss of at least 20 scholarships and a possible vacation of victories according to the reports. In play, if the reports are true, are USC's 2004 national championship and Reggie Bush's 2005 Heisman.

A former member of Pete Carroll's staff called the NCAA penalties, "a travesty," asserting that no one at the university knew of Bush's wrongdoing. The former tailback and his parents are alleged to have taken thousands of dollars and improper benefits from would-be agents. With the two-year ban, the NCAA likely has determined that Bush competed while ineligible because he took those benefits.

A former member of Pete Carroll's staff called the NCAA penalties, "a travesty," asserting that no one at the university knew of Bush's wrongdoing. The former tailback and his parents are alleged to have taken thousands of dollars and improper benefits from would-be agents. With the two-year ban, the NCAA likely has determined that Bush competed while ineligible because he took those benefits.

Running backs coach Todd McNair was the only USC coach who was tied to both Bush and the would-be agents. If the reports are accurate, it is likely the NCAA determined USC coaches and/or officials either knew or should have known of Bush's wrongdoing.

The penalties could be announced officially by the NCAA on Thursday. Veteran enforcement official Rich Johanningmeier worked the bulk of the case, according to a source. One former coach who was part of a Johanningmeier investigation once called him "a bulldog" in NCAA cases. Johanningmeier has been involved in several high-profile cases.

One of the longest investigations in NCAA history has apparently ended after more than four years. USC already had self-penalized its basketball program, but was hoping to avoid major sanctions against football. Carroll left in January for the Seattle Seahawks a season after leading USC to seven consecutive BCS bowls.

Current coach Lane Kiffin was led to believe the sanctions wouldn't be severe. :rotf:

The BCS is already on record as saying that USC could be stripped of its 2004 national championship. USA Today reported last month that a little-known rule allowed the BCS presidents to vacate a title if an ineligible player participated in the championship game. The penalty would be applied only if all appeals by a school had been exhausted, said Bill Hancock, BCS executive director.

The call would be made by the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee. Nebraska's CEO Harvey Perlman is currently the chairman. No I-A program has ever been stripped of a national championship.

A Heisman official said recently that Bush could lose the trophy from 2005 if he is found guilty by the NCAA.

USC's postseason ban is one of the most severe in recent memory in Division I-A football. Auburn in 1993 and Ole Miss in 1994 were given two-year bans by the NCAA.

Based on similar cases, USC could be in for a long dry period. Oklahoma had similar scholarship reductions in 1988. It went through three coaches before getting lucky with Bob Stoops. Twelve years after the penalties, OU won the 2000 national championship.

Oklahoma State went through seven consecutive losing seasons after losing multiple scholarships in 1989.

Top recruits could shy away from USC knowing it can't play in bowls after the 2010 and 2011 seasons. No. 1 national Seantrel Henderson delayed signing with USC in February because of the investigation. After apparently receiving assurances, Henderson eventually signed.

Henderson's father Sean could not be reached Wednesday night to determine if his son would ask out of his scholarship.

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Someone on ESPN I can't remember who said he talked to Heisman voters yesterday and while it's true that the rules state if Bush is deemed ineligible and he certainly would be then he shouldn't win the Heisman the guy said the members he talked to had no desire to take it from him. Apparently it would be left up to a vote by the committee who votes on the Heisman and they didn't want to take it from him. Take it for what it's worth which is basically nothing. I personally don't care if Bush keeps the Heisman or not. What I wanted was a post season ban, loss of scholarships and vacating wins and it appears I got that so I'm happy.

ECDawg78
06-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 pm EDT

NCAA verdict will dock USC 20 scholarships, 2010-11 bowl games
By Matt Hinton

After four years, we still have a few more hours to wait before we know exactly what former Heisman winner Reggie Bush did during his sophomore and junior seasons at Southern Cal, at least in the estimation of NCAA investigators. But we do know tonight that USC has the long-awaited results of the NCAA investigation in hand, finally. And according to ESPN's Bruce Feldman and the Los Angeles Times, the response isn't going to be a light touch:

A two-year bowl ban and a loss of more than 20 football scholarships are among the sanctions that the NCAA has dealt USC, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.
[...]
Limited recruiting contacts, probation and forfeiture of victories are also among the penalties regarded as possibly in play.

USC sources, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about the situation publicly, said they were bracing for the worst. ... Asked if the sanctions were appropriate, a source said, "It depends how you look at it. It is if you're a UCLA fan."

If that's accurate, we are in for some interesting reading when the report is released in the morning: 20 scholarships and a two-year bowl ban is nearly identical to the sentence the NCAA levied against Alabama in 2002, the last really heavy-handed retribution on record; back then, the Tide were docked 21 scholarships over two years and put on five years probation.

Given the extreme corruption targeted in the 'Bama case, the strong punishment here is a good indication that most of the evidence and testimony linking Bush to more than $290,000 in cash and prizes from would-be agents in 2004-05 was accepted as fact by the Committee on Infractions. It's also an indication that a) Someone at USC was aware of the fact that Bush was or might have been accepted money from unsavory characters skulking around the program, or b) The sheer scale of the scandal was of such staggering magnitude that somehow not knowing a star player is accepting improper benefits from agent-type entities is just as bad as knowing and failing to stop or report it.

Retroactively vacating wins is one thing, and when there are championships involved in USC's case, there's the BCS and Associated Press championships in 2004 and the Pac-10 titles in 2004 and 2005 it's no small matter to be forced to add asterisks to the record book.

But bowl bans and scholarship hits are tangible strikes whose effects will be felt immediately, and almost entirely by players and coaches who had nothing whatsoever to do with the infractions; with the exception of then-offensive coordinator/current head coach Lane Kiffin, assistant Ed Orgeron and a handful of others on the staff, no one associated with the 2010-11teams was even involved with the team when Bush was allegedly on the take. But they will suffer the consequences of being frozen out of conference and national championship contention, and of remaining unranked in the Coaches' poll (and subsequently the BCS) for the next two years. The penalties are also sure to tarnish the golden recruiting goose that supplies the Trojans with top-ranked classes on a regular basis.

They could very well lead to a wave of attrition from those classes, too, especially by older players not content to miss out on an opportunity to play for a championship after coming up short last year. For a staff that obviously relishes and emphasizes recruiting as much as this one, the scholarship losses alone are going to leave a serious mark.

This can't be what Lane Kiffin had in mind when he accepted his "dream job" on short notice in January. Still, if the Trojans come out the other side in 2012 as a consistent national contender and perennial frontrunner in whatever the Pac-10 has morphed into by that point, maybe it will have been worth it, after all. More to come in the morning.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/NCAA-verdict-will-dock-USC-20-scholarships-2010?urn=ncaaf,247135#remaining-content

Dawg in Dallas
06-10-2010, 07:41 AM
If that's accurate, we are in for some interesting reading when the report is released in the morning: 20 scholarships and a two-year bowl ban is nearly identical to the sentence the NCAA levied against Alabama in 2002, the last really heavy-handed retribution on record; back then, the Tide were docked 21 scholarships over two years and put on five years probation.

Given the extreme corruption targeted in the 'Bama case, the strong punishment here is a good indication that most of the evidence and testimony linking Bush to more than $290,000 in cash and prizes from would-be agents in 2004-05 was accepted as fact by the Committee on Infractions.

I wonder if all the Bama fans who complained about USC getting off easy BEFORE anyone even knew what the punishment would be will now quit whining. Bama was eligible for the Death Penalty and escaped, and if reports of this punishment are accurate, it would appear that USC is getting the punishment they deserved.

rolling baby
06-10-2010, 09:01 AM
What does Bama fans have to do with this, psycho?

Tough news for a fave program of mine, but oh well. Hard to root for them with those clowns at the helm.

BigBamaFan
06-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I wonder if all the Bama fans who complained about USC getting off easy BEFORE anyone even knew what the punishment would be will now quit whining. Bama was eligible for the Death Penalty and escaped, and if reports of this punishment are accurate, it would appear that USC is getting the punishment they deserved.
Well according to the NCAA Bama was eligible for the DP because of the repeat offender status from a basketball infraction.Now I find this interesting because if the NCAA hits USC with LOIC they would fall under the repeat offender status as well because they were on probation when all this started so we will see.

Dawg in Dallas
06-10-2010, 09:55 AM
What does Bama fans have to do with this, psycho?

Tough news for a fave program of mine, but oh well. Hard to root for them with those clowns at the helm.

Sorry that you aren't familiar with your fan-bases continual whining about how USC receives preferential treatment and that yall are treated unfairly.

For example (http://www.secfanatics.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56017&highlight=death&page=4), from just one thread of many:

The ironic thing is that Reggie Bush got free housing for his parents, and Southern Cal went unpunished, but some Bama players abuse their school book privileges and the NCAA launches an investigation of "major" violations.

This is Alabama, not Southern Cal. I expect some scholarships to be lost, but the real danger is that the probationary window will be extended for several more years, the longer it is opened, the greater the chance that another obsessed booster like Logan Young will try to "help" the program again--resulting in the Death Penalty for Crimson Tide football.

We were never going to get the death penalty. You can find hundreds of writers saying we were close.. it was never going to happen.. PERIOD. It was a scare a tactic and a good one.

You can use us not getting the death penalty to justify the NCAA not having it out for us, but you would be grossly misunderstanding the point. The gripe is that a team like USC can get away with ANYTHING while we are being investigated for something that that we seemingly more than handled last year (and not nearly as severe as the accusations against USC). I'm certainly not going to say the NCAA has it out for us, because right now I'd say they're doing what they're suppose to do. I wish they would go a little further West and do the same thing... what they're suppose to do. Then you may see fewer Bama fans with a bone to pick with the NCAA.

CaribbeanTide
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Welcome home Lane

Optik
06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Sounds like the HTT may just take Reggie's Heisman back from him after all...

ECDawg78
06-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't believe we will ever see the death penalty again from the NCAA........

georgiaguy31015
06-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Sounds like the HTT may just take Reggie's Heisman back from him after all...

I hope they do that would be awesome though and icing on the cake lol. I agree with EC that we will never see the death penalty again.

socalwildcat
06-10-2010, 11:51 PM
This is a death blow to USC. First, idiot Lame Kiffin...now this. The program has been set back ten years. Attendance will fall from 95,000 to half that as SC starts a string of losing seasons.

GO BRUINS!

Optik
06-11-2010, 12:23 AM
This is a death blow to USC. First, idiot Lame Kiffin...now this. The program has been set back ten years. Attendance will fall from 95,000 to half that as SC starts a string of losing seasons.

GO BRUINS!

Especially if they bring in TX and OU to beat them every couple years, at least. Oregon doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon either.

Heck Pup
06-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Kiffykins says y'all don't know nuthin'!

Listen as he preaches about the "power" of USC! THEY WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER FOOTBALL DAMMIT!

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=usc&media=182372

Optik
06-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Kiffykins says y'all don't know nuthin'!

Listen as he preaches about the "power" of USC! THEY WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER FOOTBALL DAMMIT!

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=usc&media=182372

Championship caliber maybe...too bad they can't win any actual championships that way. I think more than a few kids are going to have to mull that over. UCLA has a PRIME opportunity here to break the condoms stranglehold.

Heck Pup
06-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I am thoroughly enjoying watching the left-coast media darling USC get crucified. Those fools thought they were above the law and they just got put in their place. I think someone here said it was an "excuse fest" for the Trojans on ESPN today. I guess they will have to go back and re-edit all the highlight reels of the "greatest CFB team off all-time" - you know, the one that lost to Texas that year...

Does anyone know if Snoop Dogg and Will Farrell will be hanging out on the sidelines this season? :rotf::rotf::rotf:

This is cause for celebration! Raise your glass for Kiffin's remodeling project!

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/drinkBeer9.jpg

Mark Vawlberg
06-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Kiffin will be even more revered at USC after he brings them through this and leads them to championships.

georgiaguy31015
06-11-2010, 05:39 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I am thoroughly enjoying watching the left-coast media darling USC get crucified. Those fools thought they were above the law and they just got put in their place. I think someone here said it was an "excuse fest" for the Trojans on ESPN today. I guess they will have to go back and re-edit all the highlight reels of the "greatest CFB team off all-time" - you know, the one that lost to Texas that year...

Does anyone know if Snoop Dogg and Will Farrell will be hanging out on the sidelines this season? :rotf::rotf::rotf:

This is cause for celebration! Raise your glass for Kiffin's remodeling project!

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/drinkBeer9.jpg

From the way I read the article they can't have celebs on the sidelines anymore.

OffThePorch
06-11-2010, 06:17 AM
lmao...

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/4/tiger_wood_-_CONDOM.jpg