Is SEC putting itself at risk by NOT courting Texas? [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Is SEC putting itself at risk by NOT courting Texas?

AURex
06-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Both the Big 10 and the Pac 10 are trying to lure Texas to their conferences. It's easy to understand why. UT is a top 10 football program year after year, and is usually strong in basketball as well. (And other sports too. A major competitor of Auburn in swimming, for example.) It is also a top academic institution.

The biggest problem is, Texas is way too far away from those conference territories. This would be a real problem for FANS. Texas fans wouldn't find it easy to drive to games at Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan. And how many Illinois and Indiana fans are going to want to travel to Austin every other year?

The SEC has been taking a wait-and-see attitude toward all this. But I wonder if that is misguided. The SEC has had strong teams and a lucrative TV deal. But it is already falling behind the Big 10 in regard to revenues and per-team payouts. What happens if the Big 10 does succeed in cherry picking Texas, Notre Dame and Rutgers. Those are huge TV markets and major big bucks.

I don't know if the SEC is also secretly talking to Texas, but it seems to me that we ought to be. I'm just thinking that, rather than just lay down and let the Big 10 make that play, the SEC sould have a counter-offer on the table to Texas.

Personally, I think the SEC would be smart to offer Texas a spot in the SEC West, and either Florida State or Clemson a spot in the SEC East. Geographically, it expands the SEC westward, but at least to a contiguous state. And actually, it would be even more interesting to me to have Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC West, and Florida State and either Clemson or Virginia Tech in the SEC East. I'd think that Texas and Oklahoma would be much more inclined to play in the SEC than in the Big 10 or PAC 10.

It would sure make for some incredible games, week after week. And would sure provide the impetus for improving the TV contracts.

Plus, it would leave the Big 10 eating snow.

joehogjoe
06-07-2010, 11:10 AM
who needs who more? Does the SEC need tex@ss? NO.

AURex
06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
In the current configuration of conferences, no, SEC doesn't need any other teams. However, we are likely going to see a juggling of conference alignments. Texas is the big prize in the mix. If Texas goes to the Big 10, it will put big bucks and even more control over the NCAA into Delaney's hands. We will never, ever see a playoff. If Texas comes to the SEC, it will mean big bucks for the SEC and reduce the influence of the Big 10 in the NCAA. If Texas stays in the Big 12, I don't think anything much changes. Big 10 will continue making more money than the SEC and will continue blocking any sort of playoff.

joehogjoe
06-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I didn't know the Big 10 was making more money than the SEC.

RailroadGin
06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Texas has made it clear it wants no part of revenue sharing. While I would love to see Texas in the SEC, I don't see this happening. Not to mention that Texas and TA&M are a package deal. That makes it a little harder

Fatboy
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Texas would not have to share it's local TV revenue. They would get to keep that just like all the other SEC schools.

Geaux 58 03 07
06-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Texas had made it clear they don't see themselves as a good match with the SEC.

Fatboy
06-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Sounds more like an excuse. There are two AAU schools in the SEC.

Herchel
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
How do we know the SEC is not courting Texas?

Geaux 58 03 07
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Sounds more like an excuse. There are two AAU schools in the SEC.

Yeah but the Pac-10 has 7. There's a pretty big drop off academically in the SEC after Vandy and UF. These type of things are so political and the academics that control the university care about that sort of thing.

IBCW
06-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah but the Pac-10 has 7. There's a pretty big drop off academically in the SEC after Vandy and UF. These type of things are so political and the academics that control the university care about that sort of thing.

The SEC has 5 Universities in the top 100 according to US News and the Pac 10....has 5 schools in the top 50.......so yeah...guess the drop off is big.......

LINK (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-colleges/2010/03/15/athletic-conference-breakdown-2010-sec.html)

Geaux 58 03 07
06-07-2010, 12:27 PM
The SEC has 5 Universities in the top 100 according to US News and the Pac 10....has 5 schools in the top 50.......so yeah...guess the drop off is big.......

LINK (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-colleges/2010/03/15/athletic-conference-breakdown-2010-sec.html)

From what I understand those people value the AAU membership a lot more than US News rankings, and it's still pretty lopsided when you consider we have two more schools than they do.

Coal_UGA
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Expansion will hurt the SEC if they do not redo their TV contract. The money is set for the next 14 years. If the SEC expands they will have to take their fixed amount and spread it out between more teams.

Because of how the Big 10 Network pays the the Big 10 a larger foot print means more money and they can then cover the cost of the expanded teams.

For what it is worth Texas is trying to keep the Big XII together. I hope they are successful, I don't want to see 4 super conferences.

rolling baby
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Research Grant aspect of universities is one of the most corrupt things about college in the U.S. nowadays. The level of tuition of inflation that enables so-called professors to be research grant money hustlers is baffling. Have fun being teach by a grad student in a class of 100+ students.

As for the OP, no the SEC is not missing out. Anything beyond adding two competitve programs (I'm liking Houston/TCU type myself) is overdoing it. Our $$$$ would likely increase that much per school anyhow.

GR8NESS
06-07-2010, 12:42 PM
This whole conference reallignment is ridiculous IMO. I still think it's being driven by the Big10 Network and the fact it isn't pulling in the eyeballs they thought, and therefore not making enough money. I think the whole payout system to the schools is likely currently part of some guarantee from Fox or something, and that's about to end. I was looking at the Neilson (sp?) stuff, and the B10 Network isn't even close to pulling the SEC's national numbers.

The Big10 hates change so much they'd rather be unable to count than alter the name of their conference. If it was going as well as they pretend, they wouldn't want to rock the boat.

Coal_UGA
06-07-2010, 12:54 PM
The Big 10 Network might not be getting big numbers interms of ratings but it is bring in the cash.

The Big 10 gets between 70 to 80 cents per household per month that gets the Big 10 Network for households within the Big 10 footprint. i.e. States that have a Big 10 school in them.

The Big 10 gets 10 cents per household per month that gets the Big 10 Network for households outside the Big 10 footprint. i.e. Texas, Missouri, New York.

This is why the Big 10 wants to add 5 schools from 5 different states if possible.

Heck Pup
06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
There are rumblings that Texas Tech is now part of the aTm/Texas "package deal". I believe an administrator from Texas referred to it as a "Tech problem".

The Big XII is going to be dismantled piecemeal.

AURex
06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Big 10 schools are receiving $5 million more per year EACH than SEC schools. And when you consider that they are making that kind of money with fewer teams going to bowls, the addition of a team like Texas would boost their paydays even more. And although Texas has not been eager to share the wealth in the Big 12, they'd get even more from the per-team payouts of the Big 10.

As for the rankings of SEC schools academically in the U.S. News rankings, I don't see what you are seeing. No SEC school is in the top 10 of any academic discipline. The highest ranked is Vandy, and they are ranked 17th followed by Florida at 47th. But maybe I'm not seeing what you are referring to. Among public universities, the universities in the Big 10 and PAC 10 dominate totally in academics. The only outsiders that really compete with the Big 10 and PAC 10 schools in academics are Texas, which is up there in most disciplines with them, UNC which is very good in selected areas, and Georgia Tech in some of the engineering areas.

georgiaguy31015
06-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Everything I've read up until this point which is speculation Texas doesn't want to leave the Big 12 to go to any other conference no matter what conference that is and apparently Texas is one of the big proponents to create a Big 12 network similar to the Big 10 network. I don't think the SEC is misguided. I don't think it matters if Texas has no interest in going anywhere conference wise and apparently at this point they don't.

rolling baby
06-08-2010, 08:43 AM
rex, alot of ACC competes in academics. To me, undergrad degrees are way overrated (some majors are more equal than others, plus while a school overall might be great certain departments are average at best).

Dawg in Dallas
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Research Grant aspect of universities is one of the most corrupt things about college in the U.S. nowadays. The level of tuition of inflation that enables so-called professors to be research grant money hustlers is baffling. Have fun being teach by a grad student in a class of 100+ students.

As for the OP, no the SEC is not missing out. Anything beyond adding two competitve programs (I'm liking Houston/TCU type myself) is overdoing it. Our $$$$ would likely increase that much per school anyhow.

:barf:

Those schools are not compatible with the SEC.

rolling baby
06-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Houston should be a sleeping giant.

Dawg in Dallas
06-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Why? I understand they are in a large media market and have a large student population, but that hardly makes them unique. In fact, they have been trying for years to break out in athletics and haven't been all that successful in the major sports.

rolling baby
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Houston was a powerhouse in both football and bball in the 80s. They're in the 4th largest city in the US.

Dawg in Dallas
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
They were not a powerhouse in football. They had two decent years - 1988 and 1989. Their best record in the 1980's was 9-2, and guess what they won exactly zero conference championships in the 1980's.

YR_Tiger
06-08-2010, 10:18 AM
In the words of one my Hog buddies...Tuck Fexas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geaux 58 03 07
06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Houston should be a sleeping giant.

http://www.crisonu.com/tv2/lol_wut.jpg

rolling baby
06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
It's Miami pre-1980s all over when I think of Houston. A sleeping giant.

Dawg in Dallas
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Not even comparable to Miami, and would we want Miami? A team that during its heyday was corrupt and a team now that can't sell out its home games, travels poorly and adds little in value athletically.

rolling baby
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Miami has media and talent pool. Not comparable to Miami? People laughed at Bryant when he said they were a sleeping giant. A good thing for the Canes that his assistant Schllenberger listened to him.

As for an SEC fan calling Miami dirty..........

Dawg in Dallas
06-08-2010, 02:02 PM
So it is about the media market. Never mind that the team never sells out and that they don't travel.

rolling baby
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
You also ignore the fact that Miami is a small school to begin with.

Dawg in Dallas
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Sorta like TCU.

EDIT: Miami has nearly 16K students (including graduate students), TCU has 8,800 students (including graduate students). Now why the hell would we want to invite TCU?

Coal_UGA
06-08-2010, 02:58 PM
It's Miami pre-1980s all over when I think of Houston. A sleeping giant.

Miami did not rise to power through the SEC; they did it as an independent. No doubt being in the SEC would give Houston the cassia to recruit better when they went into players living rooms but it is far easier to become a major player when you don’t have to get your brains beat in each and every week like they would in the SEC.

Plus, even with the infusion of cash that being in the SEC would bring Houston would still not have the money to compete with other SEC schools for many, many years.

You have to remember when Houston upset Ok State last season they had three helmets stolen and they had to put out an APB to get them returned because the program did not have the money to replace them.

It would be a long and hard road for Houston in the SEC. I would not be shocked if it took them over a decade before they had a .500 season if not longer.

Bayou Bengal 72
06-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Once the teams start moving the SEC should move quickly to add Texas and Texas A&M which will bring in two huge TV markets (Dallas and Houston) as well as the rest of the Lone Star state.

And we should add Miami and another ACC team such as Virginia or Maryland to give us two huge markets (Miami and D.C.) on the East Coast.

And ESPN should be helping the SEC to add these teams by agreeing to add some coin$ to the SEC package. If Bristol stays on the sidelines because of their attachments to the Big XII and ACC, they will be hurting themselves because those will be the two conferences that will be picked apart.

Doyle Hargraves
06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Once the teams start moving the SEC should move quickly to add Texas and Texas A&M which will bring in two huge TV markets (Dallas and Houston) as well as the rest of the Lone Star state.

And we should add Miami and another ACC team such as Virginia or Maryland to give us two huge markets (Miami and D.C.) on the East Coast.

And ESPN should be helping the SEC to add these teams by agreeing to add some coin$ to the SEC package. If Bristol stays on the sidelines because of their attachments to the Big XII and ACC, they will be hurting themselves because those will be the two conferences that will be picked apart.

I agree with the Texass and ATM from the Lil-12. However, Texass doesn't want to share revenue with a conference. And it appears that those two have also been drug down by Baylor wanting in (to wherever they go). Aside from all of that, those TX schools don't want in the SEC. Texass doesn't want to face that kind of competition week in/out. No Texass = no one else (OK will follow TX's lead). So, that kinda leaves those Lil-12 guys out b/c they've got plenty of options besides the SEC.

However, I am in love with your choice of Miami. Let's get the southern part of Florida covered by an SEC fanbase. The Gators shouldn't be allowed to own the entire damned state of FL. Create some honest recruiting competition for the Gators ("honest", being a relative term :D). And what about Florida State? I know Gator fans won't like it... But it's a state divided (media-wise/fan-wise). Why not take them all in and own the entire state of FL as a whole. I think having the 'Big 3' in Florida competing in the same conference would heighten the rivalries even more. I beleive it would benefit the other two more than FL, but hey??? Give Miami and Florida St. a foothold in the SEC, and in a few years... They equal anything the Gators bring as far as competition/championships. And that equals more fans/money IMO.

I could honestly see Miami and possibly Florida St. along with a couple others (take your pick: WVU, Virginia, VT, Clemson, GT, etc.) joining IF some/any conference does happen to expand to 14 or 16 teams. But that's a very big "if". They's been lots of blowing and going for a few months now, and notta damn thing has really happened. I'm thinking that Notre Dame will eventually buckle and all of this BS will be for nought. JMHO

:cheers:

GR8NESS
06-09-2010, 01:53 AM
I seem to be barking up the wrong tree, but I still want two east schools and two west schools if we must expand.

I rank em like this in my pecking order:

East Schools
1. Virginia Tech (I want 'em more than anyone)
2. North Carolina (Quickly growing market in NC, state school, probably makes us the #1 bball conference, they have a solid FB program)
3. West (by God) Virginia
4. Miami
5. Florida State
6. Virginia
7. Clempson
8. NC State
No one else worth discussing, IMO. Maybe Maryland. Maybe.

West Schools
1. Texas (The Obvious)
2. Oklahoma (As much as I hate to admit it)
3. aTm
4. Oklahoma State
------------big dropoff----------------------
5. TCU
-----------even bigger dropoff-----------------
6. Houston
-----------biggest of big dropoffs------------
119. Baylor

PowerT98
06-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm not so sure the drop-off from OSU to TCU is that big...take booster Boone Pickens from OSU and their a mediocre team that underwhelms under the spotlight.

Dawg in Dallas
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
They have a much bigger fanbase - TCU is a lot smaller than Vandy. They are not SEC worthy.

rolling baby
06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Right now, the Big 12 is like the Corleone family after Vito gets hospitalized and Sonny gets clipped. It's time for Michael to make his move......