NCAA ruling on SC due tomorrow [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : NCAA ruling on SC due tomorrow

AURex
06-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Let me be right up front with my opinion about this entire issue.

The NCAA will make public its ruling tomorrow. But the big football schools are not afraid of the NCAA.

SC will put on a sad face, issue multiple indignities in press conferences, trot out some lawyers for the media, send apologies to their fans, etc.

But they don't really care and shouldn't.

The NCAA has become a bunch of pu$$ies.

What could the NCAA do?

Vacate some wins So what? Those games/seasons are past. The school has already raked in the tens of millions of dollars from those games. And that's what it's all about -- the money.

Reduce the number of scholarships So what? A school like Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Alabama will always get their share of 4* and 5* players. So they sign a few fewer 3* players. Not a problem.

Probation Uh, like, what is probation anyway? And if you have a second violation while on probation, what? You're on double probation? And you have another violation, and what? Well, gee, we'll just give you some more probation. It's not like probation means anything.

Reduce TV appearances or bowl appearances NCAA knows where the money comes from. If Southern Cal or Alabama or Michigan loses TV appearances, TV networks reduce payouts, conferences lose money. The entire conference gets penalized for the transgressions of one renegade program.

Death penalty BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Will never happen again to a major football school. The nuclear weapon will never be dropped on American soil again. The horrific results of the first and only death penalty assured that it will not be used again.

So, the NCAA can't really do anything to hurt Southern Cal, just as the continuing string of probations has done nothing to hurt Alabama. (Please don't give me the "we lost games for years because of probation." Didn't happen. Bama lost games because of crappy coaches. Bama has a real coach now and the fact that they are on still probation means zero, nada, zilch. Last season was the proof that probation means no more now than it did back when Auburn won their championship while on probation.)

So, does anyone really think NCAA can do anything to Southern Cal that would be an actual deterrent against future violations? The alumni and fans will continue giving money and buying seats, the TV networks will continue showing the games and the bowls will continue inviting them to play for the big payouts. They don't care if the team is on "triple bad probation" as long as the team is winning. They'll only even think about or mention probation if the team starts losing, and then they will just be using it as an excuse, and blaming NCAA.

Fact is, it seems to me, the only real power the NCAA has to enforce its rules is the threat of taking teams off television and out of bowls. The NCAA of old used to do that.

We will find out tomorrow whether the NCAA is ready to bare its claws and tear Southern Cal a new one, or whether it will continue as a pu$$y. If all they do is vacate some past games in a history book, give SC a few years probation, and loss of a few scholarships, like they have with FSU and Alabama, it will be a message to the rest of the nation's football teams that they can run amok with violations with impunity.

DBS
06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
if you wrote that, well done. if not, post a link please.

can't say i disagree.

but i would love if usc got shut down.

joehogjoe
06-03-2010, 03:49 PM
you wont see the death penalty applied here, not with USC. It will not happen.

One thing you can bet with all the jealousy here toward SC, even if they get nailed most will say it wasn't bad enough.

ugabrad
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Few around here are jealous of SC, and they are from Vandy, Ky and MsSt. Those are the only programs in the SEC that haven't performed as well as the Gamecocks.

Most of us here hate SoCal, though....

UK'sRash
06-03-2010, 09:30 PM
In order to have the death penalty i think that you have to have had a major violation and be on probation then have another major violation you are eligible. But i am in agreement that you wont see it on Div 1 level. I mean Baylor's basketball program probably deserved back in '03 and it wasn't given.

AURex
06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I can't blame it on anyone else. I wrote it. Just my opinion.

If I remember correctly, Southern Cal and South Carolina came to a legal agreement some years ago. Legally, USC = South Carolina and SC = Southern Cal. But since everyone tends to refer to Southern Cal as USC despite the agreement, I'm always careful to use Southern Cal or SoCal when referring to the new Kiffin hangout.

Since SoCal has major violations in two different sports hanging over their head (the Mayo case in basketball and the Bush and Knight cases in football), I guess they could give the Trojans the ultimate blow if they wanted to. But the SoCal lawyers and the media would make life hell for the NCAA, worse than Tarkanian ever dreamed of. So it won't happen.

I'm just wondering if the NCAA has the balls to take SoCal off TV and out of bowls for a few years to send a message. My guess, well -- maybe.

If NCAA does not hit them with something that will get their attention, it will just send a message to other schools that they can get away with more without serious penalties. Might as well disband the NCAA crime unit if that happens. So, I think it is *possible* that SoCal gets pulled from bowl games for a couple of years in football and hit with some recruiting limits in basketball.

Storm
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
SoCal already has 8 nationally televised games next season. Good luck parting with those.

NCAA will smack around the bball team and probably just put the football team on probation.

Losing scholarships will hurt them in depth at positions though. that has been SoCals strength over the years, just going 3 deep at every position.

georgiaguy31015
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I'd be thrilled if USC got a bowl and t.v. ban and I think it would be deserved based on what I know of the situation but I'm not sure that happens.

AURex
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Burned again. All the scuttlebutt was saying NCAA would issue their ruling on SoCal last Friday. I guess SoCal saw the ruling and their lawyers got in NCAA's faces again and demanded reduced penalties OR ELSE!

Maybe we'll see something soon. But the longer we wait, my guess is the ruling will be more growl and less teeth.

:banghead:

Bama_Man
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
In order to have the death penalty i think that you have to have had a major violation and be on probation then have another major violation you are eligible. But i am in agreement that you wont see it on Div 1 level. I mean Baylor's basketball program probably deserved back in '03 and it wasn't given.

Yeah, the death penalty circumstances are for a program already on probation for a major infraction gets another HUGE infraction.

And why is a UK fan complaining about WWWes? Him and Cal are big buddies, that gives UK a huge edge.

UK'sRash
06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, the death penalty circumstances are for a program already on probation for a major infraction gets another HUGE infraction.

And why is a UK fan complaining about WWWes? Him and Cal are big buddies, that gives UK a huge edge.

You talking about my Sig? No i'm not complaining about him one bit. I just find it humorous that a man who isn't employed by the NCAA or the NBA is the most powerful guy in basketball. I mean he is more powerful than Stern

IllinoisDawg63
06-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I think we just hate the "faces" of SoCal>O.J. Simpson, Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush-correct? Since the frickin OJ trial in the 90s, then further on his thievery of his "collectibles";listening to whiny-ass Carroll on how he thinks the PAC gets F**K*D, when they deservedly should be 'cause they DO SUCK!. SoCal was respectable in the day-we have to respect many of their storied people-but as of late, there's a huge tainting of what they stand for.