Michigan self-imposes penalites... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan self-imposes penalites...

Rocky@theTop
05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5217393

I'm not sure the NCAA will not impose more.

DBS
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
makes me smile to see them suffer, it would be better to see ohio state, usc or texass suffer though.

Storm
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
what did we ever do to Arkansas?.....LOL

won't surprise me if the NCAA adds a little more come August, maybe a lost scholly or two, but for the most part, i'm glad they faced it head on, took accountability, and are ready to go forward. Unlike USC that's just been avoiding it for as long as they can.

Storm
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Give Michigan credit for one thing: Few schools accused of major NCAA violations have been more open and transparent about the process. No shielded documents or redacted names here. Want to read every word of both the school's (79 pages) and coach Rich Rodriguez's (89 pages) responses to February's NCAA letter of allegations regarding overages in allowable practice time and coachable activities? Go ahead. Have at it.

As for the abridged version, all you need to know is this: The school acknowledges it screwed up. It admonished seven individuals, including Rodriguez, for lack of oversight, breakdowns in communication and an overall "failure to monitor" various day-to-day elements of the program. Its self-imposed punishment includes forfeiting 130 hours of practice time (double the amount it allegedly exceeded) over the next two years; reducing its number of "quality-control" staff from five to three and limiting their practice involvement; and imposing two years probation, which, while seemingly meager, still represents the first such stint in the fabled history of Michigan's program.

The school largely agreed with the NCAA's findings, with one notable exception. When the allegations were initially released, I wrote that the most alarming charge was the claim that Rodriguez "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance." Michigan agreed Rodriguez bears blame for the situation, but that, essentially, it wasn't for lack of trying. While many believe Michigan will fire the third-year coach if his team flops on the field again this fall, the school sent a pretty strong message that, for now, it still believes in its guy.

The NCAA's Committee on Infractions will get the final say on both Rodriguez's culpability and the other allegations come August. Don't be surprised if the committee adds to the school's own self-imposed punishment (it usually does), but don't expect anything major, either. Maybe another year's probation. Maybe a couple of docked scholarships, which the school apparently deemed unwarranted based on past precedent. The USC/Reggie Bush scandal, this is not.

Since the Detroit Free Press first leveled accusations of excessive practice time last September, it's been tough to get too indignant over something any semi-aware follower of the sport understands takes place to some extent at most football-playing factories. It's a troubling but largely unavoidable reality of the sport that players are asked to put in far more time than the straight letter of the law allows, and that coaches constantly skirt the gray area surrounding such rules. If nothing else, Michigan's exhaustive investigation shows just how dependent programs are on compliance departments and other administrators to monitor said activities, and what a gargantuan headache it must be.

Ultimately, Michigan's punishment fits the crime, which was never an overly egregious one. Michigan fans' greatest concern was never whether the NCAA would "drop the hammer" on their program; it was the additional stain now associated with the already embattled Rodriguez. The school defended him to some degree Monday, but he's still the CEO of a program about to face probation. He's still a coach who needs to win at least eight games this fall, or else -- but that would have been true with or without that 89-page letter.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/05/25/michigan-sanctions/index.html#ixzz0oy7I0oWt
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

pretty good write up from Mandel

DBS
05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

won't surprise me if the NCAA adds a little more come August, maybe a lost scholly or two, but for the most part, i'm glad they faced it head on, took accountability, and are ready to go forward. Unlike USC that's just been avoiding it for as long as they can.

just a bunch of cocky, arrogant ******** ;)

Herchel
05-25-2010, 01:58 PM
LMAO. The Michigan AD is a real weasel.

How long has RR been coaching now? Wouldn't you think he knows how many hours/week are legal?

Just Some Hog Dude
05-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Well, Michigan did beat us in the 1999 Citrus Bowl. Seriously, do you think Rodriguez is going to get Michigan turned around?

Storm
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, Michigan did beat us in the 1999 Citrus Bowl. Seriously, do you think Rodriguez is going to get Michigan turned around?

If he doesn't win at least 7 games this year, I think he's out. Which I think is doable. I think 8-9 wins is possible, but the D has to show a lot of improvement.

Storm
05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
LMAO. The Michigan AD is a real weasel.

How long has RR been coaching now? Wouldn't you think he knows how many hours/week are legal?

How is Brandon a weasel?

Bubba
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM

carquest bowl in the 90s......

Herchel
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
How is Brandon a weasel?

Brandon said the school decided not to take away scholarships or eliminate coaching positions.

"That's usually a result of something deemed to be an offense that created a competitive advantage," Brandon said. "Those kind of sanctions are also typically related to academic fraud, gambling, recruiting violations and extra benefits."

If additional practice time isn't a competitive advantage, why do it?

Just Some Hog Dude
05-25-2010, 03:19 PM
carquest bowl in the 90s......

North Carolina was our opponent in that one. We actually got sent to that bowl after winning the SEC west in 1995. It was Danny Ford's lone bowl appearance at Arkansas and the first one since the 1991 Independence Bowl appearance which we lost to Georgia when Jack Crowe was our coach. It was also the Arkansas' first bowl appearance as an SEC team.

Bubba
05-25-2010, 03:24 PM
North Carolina was our opponent in that one. We actually got sent to that bowl after winning the SEC west in 1995. It was Danny Ford's lone bowl appearance at Arkansas and the first one since the 1991 Independence Bowl appearance which we lost to Georgia when Jack Crowe was our coach. It was also the Arkansas' first bowl appearance as an SEC team.

my apologies. im thinkin the citrus bowl maybe..... :think:

either way, houston nutt choked us out of the W. :banghead:

actually, it was the capitol 1 bowl in 99. 45-31 Meechagun

Herchel
05-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Isn't Crowe the coach who was fired for losing to the Citadel?

Just Some Hog Dude
05-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Isn't Crowe the coach who was fired for losing to the Citadel?

Yep...

IllinoisDawg63
05-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I haven't cared for RichRod, much of that for his BS towards WVU-if they go any less than 7 wins, if Michigan is smart, they will ****can him.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't recall Michigan struggling like this before. He might end up wishing he had stayed at WVU.

Storm
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
The struggles are a two part problem. The first part was the complete overhaul in regards to type of players he needed to bring in in order to run his offense. The second part was the fact that in the big 10, they actually play defense, unlike the big east. So now that he has an offense capable of putting 30 on the board every game, he's stuck with a defense that can't hold a quality opponent to under 30.

I agree wholeheartedly with Illdawg, anything less than 7 wins and a bowl game and we'll be starting this process all over again.

IllinoisDawg63
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't recall Michigan struggling like this before. He might end up wishing he had stayed at WVU.That's because they haven't-this is indeed Michigan football lowest in history. Where's that Appy St coach?-they should hire him

georgiaguy31015
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I know very little of these kinds of things but I don't see the NCAA doing much more to Michigan than what Michigan will do to themselves if the NCAA does anything else at all.

Storm
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I know very little of these kinds of things but I don't see the NCAA doing much more to Michigan than what Michigan will do to themselves if the NCAA does anything else at all.

honestly, I don't know what else they could do other than take away a scholarship or two.

georgiaguy31015
05-25-2010, 04:32 PM
honestly, I don't know what else they could do other than take away a scholarship or two.

That's all they can do at least that's all they can do that is warranted considering the infractions in my opinion which means nothing. I don't even know if the NCAA will do that but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

NatureBoy
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
To Storm:

You didn't answer the question on page 1...do you think RR will turn things around at Michigan?

Storm
05-25-2010, 11:06 PM
like I said, if he hangs on to the job after this season, which I think he will, then yes, I think he'll turn it around. But it hinges on surviving this season.

F250MustangGuy
05-25-2010, 11:47 PM
34-32 was punishment enough

IllinoisDawg63
05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
34-32 was punishment enoughactuallyAppy St beat Michigan in Lloyd Carr's last season as HC.
They should have went to Jerry Moore instead of RichRod to replace Carr.

Storm
05-26-2010, 08:59 AM
losing to Toledo was more embarrassing than App State IMO

REBEL5 AC
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Has nothing to do with the thread, but did anyone watch CFB Live today? I forgot how ass ugly those jerseys Ohio State wore against Michigan last year were.

As for Michigan, I hope nothing major happens to them. They're one of college football's true great programs.

Storm
05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
those were atrocious weren't they.

http://mvictors.com/WordPress/images/2009/jake3.jpg