SportsRadio 810 WHB - Kansas City reporting Big Ten has offered... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : SportsRadio 810 WHB - Kansas City reporting Big Ten has offered...

Rocky@theTop
05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Notre Dame, Missouri, Nebraska, and Rutgers the opportunity to join their conference.

WHB Kansas City (http://www.810whb.com/article/3527)

YR_Tiger
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
wow Rutgers?, but that would be 15 teams so they have an out for not having a championship game.

joehogjoe
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
It will be cool if this turns out to be true. The dominoes will start falling, and the era of the mega conferences will begin. It will be the end of tradition.

KennyPowersUGA
05-10-2010, 03:27 PM
The SEC will retaliate

joehogjoe
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
The SEC will retaliate
not so much retaliate as up the ante.

Storm
05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
can't say any of those four really strike fear into the SEC.......LOL

joehogjoe
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
It's not about fear, its about size.

Fatboy
05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Never mind. I'm a retard

Fatboy
05-10-2010, 04:09 PM
It is not yet clear whether the Big Ten will expand to 14 or 16 teams but sources indicated Missouri and Nebraska are invited in either scenario. Notre Dame has repeatedly declined the opportunity to join the Big Ten. If Notre Dame remains independent, Rutgers would be the 14th team. The Big Ten would then decide whether to stop at 14 or extend offers to two other schools. If Notre Dame joins, sources say an offer will be extended to one other school making it a 16-team league.

It all comes down to ND joining as to whether or not they will have 14 or 16.

Storm
05-10-2010, 04:38 PM
notre dame won't join

Bubba
05-10-2010, 04:38 PM
i hope it happens so the sh;t can hit the fan

IllinoisDawg63
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Well 3 of those 4 are land grant schools. I really wish they had made Pitt an offer.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
These idiots are going to ruin college football. All they need to do is add one team.

georgiaguy31015
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
ND is a waste of time in my opinion. I would love for them to join but I don't see it. Rutgers I was shocked at because I don't see them bringing anything to the table. It will be interesting to see what Nebraska and Missouri does and if they bolt or even if one of them leaves what the Big 12 will do. This may be the beginning of the domino affect I want and I hope it is. I heard earlier today that Nebraska says they don't have an offer to join the Big 10 which I believe and that Missour is refusing to comment which tells me they may be seriously considering the offer.

OffThePorch
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
the SEC should invite Miami, GaTech to the East.. Texas & another one of the Tx teams to the West.. big market teams..

Just Some Hog Dude
05-10-2010, 07:16 PM
the SEC should invite Miami, GaTech to the East.. Texas & another one of the Tx teams to the West.. big market teams..

Yeah. Do you honestly think MSU would have a chance in hell of competing in that league? Be careful what you wish for.

Fatboy
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah. Do you honestly think MSU would have a chance in hell of competing in that league? Be careful what you wish for.

That's funny coming from the fan of any team not named Florida, LSU, or Alabama.

OffThePorch
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM

we'd do the best we could.. have fun.. & take our check like we do now.

REBEL5 AC
05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Nebraska's going to strike fear in the hearts of teams in a couple of years. They're coming back with a vengeance.

Of course, they're not going to scare Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma etc., but they're about to be back to old Nebraska.

Just my opinion, of course. Nebraska being back is good for college football.

As far as Texas goes, as I've said before, Texas will go nowhere without Texas A&M.

onlyfrbama
05-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Rumor out there is the Texas and A&M are two most talked about teams for SEC.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
we'd do the best we could.. have fun.. & take our check like we do now.

Your team would make a bowl game every thirty years like Vandy.

onlyfrbama
05-10-2010, 09:57 PM

No way Ga. Tech is coming back to the SEC. From what I have always heard they didn't exactly leave the conference on good terms and left a great deal of enemies.

Also Miami brings nothing to the conference. They can't sell there own stadium out even when good. There fan's don't travel and no one wants to go to Miami and play in the conference.

I would invite Texas and A&M since the conference has teams already recruiting that area. I would also invite Louisville and a team like Wake Forest to balance out the conference. Louisville would bring a big following more for basketball.

GR8NESS
05-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Big following? Louisville? LOL. Their fanbase is closer to UAB's than Auburn's or Alabama's to put it in a local perspective for you. :)

I hate this. These f*cktards are going to ruin college football.

Storm
05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
they can't win, ya'll gave em ish forever about not having a championship game, now they try and expand to have one and they're "ruing football." LOL, make up your minds people.

georgiaguy31015
05-11-2010, 05:47 AM
they can't win, ya'll gave em ish forever about not having a championship game, now they try and expand to have one and they're "ruing football." LOL, make up your minds people.

If it's any consolation Storm I like it. I think every conference has to have a title game and every team has to be in a conference for a playoff system to be in place and I hope this is where we are heading.

Storm
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
personally, I only care about the team I follow for the most part. I guess it doesn't help that I like the SEC but my favorite team is in the big 10.....LOL. I'm such a weirdo.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-11-2010, 07:13 AM

I don't care what the Big Ten does as long we don't follow suit. All the Big Ten has to do is add one more team to have two divisions and a title game. That's all they have to do.

If the Big Ten adds several more teams and we follow suit then the SEC will be ridiculously difficult in all likelihood. If the SEC added Texas, A&M, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State or any number of teams it would just be ridiculous. The chances of an SEC team playing in a title game would probably be out the window barring a playoff.

Storm
05-11-2010, 07:19 AM
i agree it's ridiculous they feel the need to add more than one team.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-11-2010, 07:23 AM
It's BS because the Big Ten can only add mediocre programs if they can't get Notre Dame. The SEC would probably then add a bunch of solid college football powers just because there is more of them in the South to pick from.

georgiaguy31015
05-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't care what the Big Ten does as long we don't follow suit. All the Big Ten has to do is add one more team to have two divisions and a title game. That's all they have to do.

If the Big Ten adds several more teams and we follow suit then the SEC will be ridiculously difficult in all likelihood. If the SEC added Texas, A&M, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State or any number of teams it would just be ridiculous. The chances of an SEC team playing in a title game would probably be out the window barring a playoff.

It seems that the Big 10 is definitely going to add 4-6 more teams from what I'm gathering and the SEC will respond in kind. You also got all the teams right that the SEC would add according to some guy on ESPN radio. I didn't catch his name but he said this afternoon that if the Big 10 added Nebraska and Missouri and Rutgers or UCONN or Syracuse and Notre Dame and possibly Pitt that would give them 16 teams then the SEC would respond by adding FSU, Miami, Clemson and Georgia Tech. That would be one hell of a conference right there.

What shocks me about this is why would the Big 10 want to add Syracuse, Rutgers or UCONN? Rutgers is sliding in football and offers you nothing else. UCONN is decent in football but I would think you would want better than that but they can make up for it in basketball. Syracuse is God awful in football but they too could make up for it in basketball. Everyone keeps talking about ND and I just don't see that happening in a million years. No way no how. They aren't coming. They would have no need to at this point unless the Big 10 makes them one hell of an offer they couldn't refuse.

REBEL5 AC
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
There's no point for Notre Lame to make a move to the Big 10. They make all the money in the world off of NBC and just being Notre Dame. It's not like going to the Big 10 will boost their recruiting.

The big players in this whole thingamajig is Texas and Notre Dame. What those two programs do will set the precedent and pretty much decided what everyone else does...

...assuming that this "collapse of the Big 12" even happens.

Fatboy
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
They may not have a choice. If all the other teams are moving into 16 team conferences, they may find themselves on the outside looking in.

Storm
05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
big ten commish is on record saying none of these teams have been offered anything......LOL. nice reporting.

REBEL5 AC
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
They may not have a choice. If all the other teams are moving into 16 team conferences, they may find themselves on the outside looking in.

Why do they have to do anything? They can still make their own schedule and play the same teams they play every year. Hell, they could take the conference realignment causalities and make their own conference with those teams.

ugabrad
05-11-2010, 09:57 PM
The SEC is very strong as it is. If the Big10 wants to go to sixteen teams, I see no reason for the SEC to follow suit. The only possible reason would be if the Big12 were to disintegrate. I think that the present 12 team format offers the best combination of annual rivalries and a rotation among the others plus OOC matchups. . Watering it down with four more teams would make for less interesting regular seasons IMO.

georgiaguy31015
05-11-2010, 10:26 PM
big ten commish is on record saying none of these teams have been offered anything......LOL. nice reporting.

I think he's lying personally but we shall see.

georgiaguy31015
05-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Why do they have to do anything? They can still make their own schedule and play the same teams they play every year. Hell, they could take the conference realignment causalities and make their own conference with those teams.

If all the conferences go to a 16 team conference or even a 14 team conference I would think a school who is still independent would have a hard time getting a shot at a national title. To me that would be reason enough to join.

REBEL5 AC
05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't see why. They're Notre Dame. They go to a BCS bowl game regardless with 10 wins, IIRC.

georgiaguy31015
05-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't see why. They're Notre Dame. They go to a BCS bowl game regardless with 10 wins, IIRC.

True although I'm thinking they are going to need one hell of a season to get by some teams in big time super conferences who also have a hell of a season but I'm probably being too niave.

IllinoisDawg63
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
If all the conferences go to a 16 team conference or even a 14 team conference I would think a school who is still independent would have a hard time getting a shot at a national title. To me that would be reason enough to join.
Notre Dame prides itself being independent(as far as football is concerned)and wouldn't care if there were only 2 conferences w/25 teams. Hell they have the BCS kissing their butts anyhow by being allowed to be an at-large with 2 losses and being eligible to play for national title since the BCS format took place.

Fatboy
05-12-2010, 07:16 PM

Because with 16 teams in your conference it will be harder for ND to schedule those teams. Those in the conference will be playing more in-conference games and scheduling patsies for the OOC.

animus
05-18-2010, 07:18 AM
The B10 wants Rutgers because the B10 wants cable subscribers for its cable network. They think that the New York City media market is actually going to pay attention to college football. To be honest Rutgers doesn't even have that great of a college hoops program. But Rutgers has very good academics. So thats 2 things working in Rutgers favor.

Just Some Hog Dude
05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Rutgers is not followed in NYC very well. I am sure the Big Ten would love to have Notre Dame.

animus
05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Great point. Which is part of the reason why I don't think Rutgers is the slam dunk the northern media makes them out to be.